Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    In regards to all the X of the Year stuff that is going around lately, I just wanted to say that anyone who picks Duke Nukem Forever as the biggest disappointment of the year is a bit daft. Disappointment means that you were, for whatever completely inexplicable reason, expecting it to be good.

The only way that game could've reasonably disappointed you if you were completely unaware of, well, everything about the game.

reVerse on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    EDIT: Classy fake account!

https://twitter.com/#!/oceanstretagy
    @inthefade Listen that bitch had it coming ok. She smart talked me. U don't do that to the man. The man is in charge.

OK ENOUGH! Just fuck off already u god damn fucking gaming cunts. Boo Hoo I yelled at a customer big deal. Ge over it

@evil_avatar @cwgabriel Fuck him and fuck you. I'm sick of you pansy gamer kids and your sandy vaginas.

@bpc908 Hey, I'm just as good as my peers. Pete Hines and I are bros and I learned from him. He told me not to take any shit.

My bro Pete Hines at Bethesda said this shit is typical of gamers. My connections still have my back.

yeah keep shitting on me kids, remember I have your CC info from orders. Let's see how tough you are after some nigerians get em. #War

That's only some of the magic.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    That's not him, AutomaticZen.

He's oceanstratagy.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    In regards to all the X of the Year stuff that is going around lately, I just wanted to say that anyone who picks Duke Nukem Forever as the biggest disappointment of the year is a bit daft. Disappointment means that you were, for whatever completely inexplicable reason, expecting it to be good.

The only way that game could've reasonably disappointed you if you were completely unaware of, well, everything about the game.

I look at Duke Nuk'em being more of a case of "You get what you asked for."

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Ya'll need to check the spelling of the accounts you're posting.

Granted, it's hard because dude clearly doesn't know how to spell himself, but virtually every twitter post in the past few hours has been from fake accounts.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Apparently repeating that it's fake wasn't enough to keep people from quoting the fake twitter.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I told you guys nicely to drop some of the chatter.

This is me saying it not-so-nicely.

If it does not pertain to stuff happening to Ocean Marketing, PA, or N-Control, then do not discuss it. Arguing about who deserves what, if Gabe is/isn't a bully, and so on is off-topic. Ocean Marketing going under, N-Control making announcements or new developments from Gabe/PA are fine.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Dragkonias wrote:

Duke Nukem Forever got further balled by Bulletstorm coming out in 2011 and being everything a modern Duke Nukem game should have been. Way to show em ep, Bulletstorm!
    I love Bulletstorm.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It moved hands to a new developer with a recent, proven track record, so yes I expected it to at least be an average game when they finally put it out. Instead it wasn't even a bad game, it was a whole extra level of bad, ending an industry famous 14 year saga on a surprisingly flat note. I would have rather it kept going on in development as a joke until the end of time than the spectacular mess it finally came out as.

I wasn't expecting game of the year. I was ALSO not expecting to see two female character apologize to Duke for getting raped.

There really isn't any other game this year that was anywhere near a disappointing as how the DNF kerfluffle ended, even WITH the massively lowered expectations.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote:
    That's not him, AutomaticZen.

He's oceanstratagy.

I stand corrected. Thank ye good sir!

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

Duke Nukem Forever got further balled by Bulletstorm coming out in 2011 and being everything a modern Duke Nukem game should have been. Way to show em ep, Bulletstorm!
    I love Bulletstorm.

Except for the part where Bulletstorm became exactly what the marketing panned with just a bunch of curse words over it. At least it was fun to play.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it has been discussed or not here, but I was reading the Fark thread about this guy and apparently he might be a roid-head.

I guess this is what Kotaku has been saying?

I love it when idiots like this get destroyed

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    /Didn't you just see that post a couple of posts back that said we don't need to hear about who you guys think are doodyheads and what-not?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    apparently I misunderstood it.

Cool, I won't post anymore about it here I guess.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No one saying you can't post about it. But we don't need to know about people's personal business, who said what about who, and who deserved what.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    There's a perfectly fine thread in D&D and probably SE++ that are wholly dedicated to the topic.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Edit: why can't we delete posts?

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Edit: Ignore

Remington on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

I didn't think it would be good but Duke Nukem is still my biggest disappointment. All those years and they couldn't come up with a pool mini-game that was better than what I had on my NES? The least they could have done was make interacting with objects fun.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I told you guys nicely to drop some of the chatter.

This is me saying it not-so-nicely.

If it does not pertain to stuff happening to Ocean Marketing, PA, or N-Control, then do not discuss it. Arguing about who deserves what, if Gabe is/isn't a bully, and so on is off-topic. Ocean Marketing going under, N-Control making announcements or new developments from Gabe/PA are fine.

Apologies, big man, I must've missed it when in transit from work to home.

This is relevant and even business related, then.

Did Kotkin ever mention this?

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Florida/Miami/afternoon-artists-inc/67707095.aspx
    [edit]
    Looks like he explained it.

"David (Kotkin) said it was a LLC for a charity that was never actually created," he said. "He bought the name thinking Paul would be involved, but nothing came of it. The company never actually existed."

And I'll be honest, with my hands the way they are..I am kind of interested in this thing.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Okay so I'm just catching up on this entire thing, and my god is it hilarious.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    That controller is dismally advertised. It'd be way better if played towards the disabled as opposed to that XTREME crap that is just embarrassing to read.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    On the subject of Duke Nukem Forever further up the page...

I bought it for $4.99 last week during one of Best Buy's daily sales, and I'm enjoying it thus far.

Okay maybe if I paid more than that I'd be a bit more harsh on it, but I've certainly played much worse games in my day.

It's not bad, just incredibly mediocre.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    That controller is dismally advertised. It'd be way better if played towards the disabled as opposed to that XTREME crap that is just embarrassing to read.

That implies a focus on mass sale appeal, instead of trying to make something for the benefit of others. Action vs. speech.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I can't really put any blame on Gearbox for DNF. I somehow think the requirements for them using the rights fell under leaving the game generally unmolested as far as the content goes.
    To further prove this point: The dlc that recently came out is actually pretty damn good.

I can stomach a terrible game if it means gearbox/2k got the ip and can make their own game down the line.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BluefistBluefist Registered User regular
    DNF is a strange beast, I've been playing through it on & off since release and it switches between awesome and terrible with no middle ground. Symptoms of the long time in development I guess.

I've also just started playing through borderlands, from what I'vr seen I'm looking forward to gearbox's eventual take the duke nukem ip.

STEAM & PSN: Bluefist56
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Multiplayer DNF is entertainingly drunk with my friends.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Duke Nukem has no redeeming features. Dated, crusty gameplay mixed awkwardly with modern elements, and then you have a terrible story with equally poor humor and characterization. All soaked in misogyny.

You'd have to pay me to bear the shame of having that sit in my Steam library.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KobunKobun Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Dirtyboy wrote:
    Can't feel any sympathy for the guy because he put his own family in the "crossfire" by being a total and complete douchebag. It may not be the wife and kid's fault, but she chooses to live with him and benefit from his "job".

His response, "I didn’t know how big your site was and I really didn’t believe you ran Pax," pretty much says it all. He was a jerk, got called out on how he behaved and the lies he spun, and then received a tidal wave of backlash that he could not beat down with more keyboard bullying.

I'm stunned that anyone can sympathize with him. He lost his job because he's clearly in no position to do PR well, if at all. It's more than just being a pompous idiot; he's also implicating others in his e-mails with his lies, which is a no-no. The whole thing kinda reminds me of DJ KEEMSTAR and a bit of an XBLIG debacle some months ago in his promotion of FortressCraft.

Kobun on
    site_xbligco.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maybe we need a new thread without the baggage of this one? People would be less likely to reply to a subject that's been done to death when they don't see any remaining posts on the matter. I know it's not my call but sheez.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The main thrust of such a thread is more suited for D&D than here.

I'm just going to edit the thread title and see if that helps.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh, you want a new industry thread.

No, I don't think that is necessary. It's not like we're getting fifty posts a minute on the subject.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I quite enjoyed DNF. It was basically like the old Duke Nukem games... So I'm not sure what other people were expecting. It's a game that was still stuck in the 90s, and I honestly didn't have a problem with that. But then again I went in with no expectations and bought it on the Steam sale for ~$20.

• Options
    You can all go being disappointed about DNF, but my disappointing game this year belongs to Dead Island. Not only does it not have a single iota of the first trailers tone anywhere in the game, it actually ends up being both equally stupid and offensive at the same time. The tone is seriously all over the place. The story is frankly a fucking mess. The bugs are the breaking point. From asinine to game breaking, my enjoyment of the game severely dropped after leaving the resort (Act I). The gameplay is passable when it works and man does it not want to work once you leave the resort. Either that or the game was never built with anything other than Walkers in mind. At least with DNF my expectations were planted firmly in mediocrity thanks to the demo and being realistic. With Dead Island they took what could have been a great game with a different tone for a zombie game and fucked it up royally. Also, the part where the gameplay barely beats DNF doesn't help it and that's only thanks to co-op.

• Options
    There are bugs? Ahh I see you played it on the 360. Any and all bugs were fixed well within the first week or so of release for the PC.

• Options
    cherylharrisoncherylharrison I am a good idea Columbus, OHRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Far as I'm concerned, the man wanted to act hard and got what he asked for.

Well, he ain't so hard now. Watch what you say.

That said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqV9kx40RG0

Oh god that was more refreshing than a cup of coffee this morning.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    There are bugs? Ahh I see you played it on the 360. Any and all bugs were fixed well within the first week or so of release for the PC.

It honestly wouldn't help much considering they would have to rehaul the game engine so I don't hit a dude with the butt of my Machete when they aren't even one foot away from me. Anyway, I feel they ended up doing that on the PC because of the botch launch. Also, they had 6 years to not release the game in such a broken ass state.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

It honestly wouldn't help much considering they would have to rehaul the game engine so I don't hit a dude with the butt of my Machete when they aren't even one foot away from me.

Still think that's a 360 thing. :P I never had any problems with that attack (though I still prefer it if they just used the bladed end myself..)

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    I quite enjoyed DNF. It was basically like the old Duke Nukem games... So I'm not sure what other people were expecting. It's a game that was still stuck in the 90s, and I honestly didn't have a problem with that. But then again I went in with no expectations and bought it on the Steam sale for ~$20.

Honky gets it :^:

People were expecting Jesus to pop out of their PC's and hit them with a Saintly Brofist when they fired DNF up or something. The game was basically a time capsule. It was never going to be a top notch modern FPS.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I really hope Gearbox makes another one.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

It honestly wouldn't help much considering they would have to rehaul the game engine so I don't hit a dude with the butt of my Machete when they aren't even one foot away from me.

Still think that's a 360 thing. :P I never had any problems with that attack (though I still prefer it if they just used the bladed end myself..)

I guess if the game stayed like it did in the resort I could shut off my brain and ignore the awful story and characters.