As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Beej Diet [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    crwth wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:
    Aphostile wrote:
    Pfffft.

Getting paid vs hanging out with people like myself in places like Tonkka's bar and elsewhere. I think we win.

Hello, yes how can I help you?
    aim to break last year's car bomb record

The 53rd one is free*!

*I buy 53rd.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Best totp right there

• Options
    Yes.

Ugh, the gym closes early on weekends so I basically have to leave in 20 minutes if I want to get in a decent workout BUT I JUST ATE DINNER so I'm afraid I'm gonna feel sick if I try to run. I should have waited to eat till I got back >:I

• Options
    Closed early on weekends? That sucks. Only day the times are changed at the local Y for me is Sunday when it opens at 1PM instead of 9AM.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Go for a walk.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Yeah, is there area around your abode suitable for walking/running?

• Options
    My neighborhood is very nice, and I live right next to a 17 mile multipurpose trail, BUT IT'S 38 DEGREES OUTSIDE. And dark because it's night time. Also, pavement is extremely hard on my knees, and the indoor track at my gym has more give.

Fortunately my dinner was pretty light, so I'll probably be ok if I walk a bunch first. Blugh.

• Options
    Or you could be dumb as a brick like I am and run directly after eating regardless of how much I eat

those are the days running is hard...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what exactly is "the beej diet" anyway

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Use BJs as a substitute for sweets I assume

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    Giving BJs, that is

When you want some candy, give a beej

• Options
    Boners are nature's hard candy!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    what exactly is "the beej diet" anyway

it's my diet you can't have any get outta here

gym is closed

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Putzed around too much and missed the gym, so now I HAVE to run outside. I needed to go to the store anyway so I guess I'll jog there and back. 1 mile each way. That'll be sufficient.

• Options
    going to the store to buy some chocolate?

• Options
    I'm out of toothpaste, actually.

• Options
    Haha, between our two avatars, it looks like the extremely mundane conversation we're having is actually VERY EXCITING.

• Options
    be sure to get the toothpaste with whitening
    nobody wants ugly looking teeth

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I really need to see if there is a route I can bike down here.

Atlanta+burbs do not seem very bike friendly. I would like to bike to the gym or some such thing if I could.

Would take me like. 3 hours though

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote:
    Embrace Biij.

(I'd say "skip to 1:38" but vimeo makes skipping ahead difficult so you may have to experience the whole video in all its glory.)

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Fucking FINALLY

@wandering, king of bad opinions but also my heart

• Options
    nevermind that I spelled it wrong

• Options
    and misquoted it

fuck it, I don't care

YOU, THE ONE WHO IS MOVING

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Bought a new pair of slacks today! I realized that all my dress pants are size ten because I haven't had much call to dress like a grown-up lately. The new ones, though? Size six.

This is despite the fact that I'm back up about four pounds after the holidays. I think most of the weight I've lost came off of my hips and thighs, though, and the new weight has gone right on top of those abs I'm trying to reveal. :? And I haven't run in over a week. Ugh. I am in the process of talking myself into going to the gym tonight, though. Once this Tylenol kicks in and my neck stops being a little bitch.

Still! I have new, smaller slacks and I just packed up most of my jeans to go to Goodwill 'cause they don't fit anymore. Not gonna get discouraged and give up just 'cause I feel all lazy and crippled.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote:
    and misquoted it

fuck it, I don't care

YOU, THE ONE WHO IS MOVING

MEV!

• Options
    Good job, Mad! I need to get rid of a bunch of clothes myself (but it's mostly because I just don't wear them anymore, I certainly haven't lost that much weight yet).

So I successfully ran to and from the CVS. Probably clicked in at not quite 2 miles. My knee is predictably sore, though, so tomorrow is either going to be a day off it just walking. I'm due for an easy day anyway, pretty sure this is my fifth day on since my last off day.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    What are the good "Beginning to start Running" guides or advice sites/videos?

Naturally just Googling that brings back a lot of stuff, which I'm sure is good stuff, I just want the actual good stuff that maybe people here have followed to achievements.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    lexxy did you have to fight the meth heads at cvs too for that extra workout?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote:

I'd have to drive about 15 or 20 minutes south to encounter that variety of problem.

• Options
    Thanks, Lexxy!

Naturally just Googling that brings back a lot of stuff, which I'm sure is good stuff, I just want the actual good stuff that maybe people here have followed to achievements.

I just downloaded the "Ultimate Half Marathon" guide from runnersworld.com. I guess I can let you know how good their advice is in about nine weeks. It's free, at least.

I don't know about straight-up beginning from scratch, though. I had someone running beside me and screaming at me when I started running. That is actually very motivational, but there are probably less unpleasant ways to get started. I think someone here had success with the Couch to 5k, so maybe try that?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Ran at 6mph this evening on the treadmill for 45 minutes straight (read 4.5 miles), where recently I had only been doing 5mph for 60 minutes straight (i.e. 5 miles).

Longest I've gotten at 6mph running without a break is 18 minutes. Pretty nice improvement I'd say.

• Options
    Lexxy wrote:
    Mysst wrote:

I'd have to drive about 15 or 20 minutes south to encounter that variety of problem.

3AM brings out the best in every neighborhood

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    snowboarded all day

then ate a bad bad dinner

sort of balances out but not really

poo
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Running with the military is a really great way to get good at running.

But not super feasible for most peopl?

I don't know, it is not too complicated. Just go run, walk when you need to. Start working on seeing if you can go longer between needing to walk. Also apparently running for time is better than distance. Probably on account of it being a cardiovascular activity and the important part is the amount of time you are working your heart out, keeping your heart rate up.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options

I don't know of any guides, but I do have a personal anecdote that might help???

A few years ago, I basically had to start from scratch. I had been very active with stuff like competitive karate and track up till the end of high school, but after that, in spite of living across the street from one of my university's gyms, I gradually fell out. Probably only gained about 10 pounds, but I exchanged a lot of muscle for fat so by the time my fourth year rolled around I was pretty pudgy.

That year I went to Japan, and got real sick of being dramatically heavier than my Japanese counterparts real fast. The university I was attending had an indoor track that didn't require any special permission to use, and the entire city was walkable, so I figured that would be the best way to get back in shape.

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that you have to start very slowly. One of the biggest mistakes people make when they start a fitness effort is going too hard too fast, which either results in early burnout and/or injury. It's really frustrating! But being laid up with a pulled muscle or sprained ankle for three weeks right off the bat is even worse.

So what I did was plan a gradual increase of activity over the span of about two months. I'm going to have to approximate, since this was about five years ago at this point...

Week one I walked for 30 minutes Mon/Wed/Fri, and ran for 10 minutes Tues/Thurs with a five minutes walk before and after to warm up and cool down. Week two I probably upped my walking time to 45 minutes. Week three I increased my running time to 15 minutes. Week four I probably started using 10 minutes of my walking days for running. Week five, my hard running days went up to 20 minutes, and so on. Increasing what I did just a little bit in different ways every week kept me from getting too bored or like I wasn't accomplishing anything.

I also frequently played several hours of DDR on Saturdays and took to taking 3-4 hour walks through the city on Sunday.

Anyway, that worked REALLY WELL for me. I lost almost 15 pounds over the course of a couple months (in addition to monitoring calorie intake) and was up to running about 3 miles a day almost every day.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Like Lexxy said: start slow and build gradually. Be ready to commit to it for the long haul. You won't get instant gratification, so be prepared to wait for the results.

Make sure you wear comfortable shoes, too! Wearing the wrong kind of shoes can result in major shin/ankle/knee problems!

• Options
    oops I am eating m&ms now

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I too regularly fail to resist candy.

• Options
    Posting this as a note to myself: always go to the gym. You will feel so much better afterwards.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.