As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My immediate reaction was... how deadly can a sponge be, but then I remembered this was dwarf fortress.

He may wipe out your entire fort.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    sponges only die when they are completely dried out iirc, dwarves can hack and smash the shit out of it for hours without killing it

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Anything can wipe out a fort. My Mayor nearly did after I waited too long to assign her required rooms. She threw a tantrum, punched a few people into unconsciousness and generally got half my fort down to 'very unhappy' status. Thankfully I was able to pull it around with only one death.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Curses. I got a good location with a river and a volcano, but it seems I have a Giant Sponge sitting at my designated fishing/drinking spot.

Right where your river enters the map, build a bunch of pumps into a side channel that dump off the side of the map. Once you have the river dried out for a bit, the sponge will die.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    yeah and if a dwarf gets too close to the sponge it might push it in the head, instantly killing the dwarf.

giant sponges are deadly deadly enemies.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I was trying to boot up a new world for adventure mode but it keeps locking at Updating World where ti shows the calender

If you're playing on 40.03 this'll be a problem, there's some serious lag on adventure mode starting up. It'll get there eventually, but prepare for a wait.

Fortunately 40.04 has been released and has apparently got rid of most of this problem.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I seem to recall somebody had a vampire sponge once which was functionally immortal. They have no limbs to chop off, and no blood to lose even if you could. They have no vital organs, no heart no brain. Personally I'd consider using the sponge for militia training purposes, but there's a good chance my dwarves would find a way to die from it. Possibly from exhaustion after hacking away at it for several straight days.

So I'm wondering, is there any sort of utility to automatically designate a stone layer for exploratory mining? I'm probably going to try out the new version tonight, but the prospect of designating multiple z-layers in 5x5 grids doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I seem to have accidentally found a way to increase the resolution/zoom out. Now all the text is tiny.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I think undead giant sponges are possible, which would have both the natural sponge immunity to conventional death and the undead ability to ignore its aquatic requirement.
    Probably the only way to kill something like that would be caving in a few solid z-levels of rock directly onto its head or pumping magma onto it and hoping it melts.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I seem to have accidentally found a way to increase the resolution/zoom out. Now all the text is tiny.

Unless you muck about with mouse support the mouse wheel raises and lowers your font (causing the resolution to feel like it's zooming in or out).

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Mouse wheel.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I seem to recall somebody had a vampire sponge once which was functionally immortal. They have no limbs to chop off, and no blood to lose even if you could. They have no vital organs, no heart no brain. Personally I'd consider using the sponge for militia training purposes, but there's a good chance my dwarves would find a way to die from it. Possibly from exhaustion after hacking away at it for several straight days.

So I'm wondering, is there any sort of utility to automatically designate a stone layer for exploratory mining? I'm probably going to try out the new version tonight, but the prospect of designating multiple z-layers in 5x5 grids doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

Quickfort has some exploratory mining patterns, IIRC.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I have no compunction about typing reveal into the console (and unreveal shortly after).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Does that work with 04?

• Options
    premium wrote: »
    I think undead giant sponges are possible, which would have both the natural sponge immunity to conventional death and the undead ability to ignore its aquatic requirement.
    Probably the only way to kill something like that would be caving in a few solid z-levels of rock directly onto its head or pumping magma onto it and hoping it melts.

They have no damageable parts, and they don't burn/melt.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

Does that work with 04?

I know it works with .03, it was part of that big pack posted a few pages ago. Presumably it will be updated to .04 soon, if it isn't already.

• Options
    Quickfort shouldnt be too hard to update since it doesnt edit the game in any way that I know of.

How does Picturefort work, btw?

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Brody wrote: »
    premium wrote: »

They have no damageable parts, and they don't burn/melt.

Cast the damn thing into obsidian then, I dunno. Maybe atom smash it if it's not too big?
    Also I think caving in natural (not constructed) stone would still work.

premium on
  • Options
    Obsidian might work, but I dont know that you could get a bridge built close enough.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    So, is it pretty much a guarantee that you should get get some sort of dwarf contact within the first year, if you started near a dwarf civilization?

Because I have had none. As I said earlier, no migrants. But also no trader. I am pretty damn certain that I started close to one, but I've read somewhere that the civilizations you see on the map could already be wiped out when you embark. Which I don't know how to check for.

Just contemplating restarting at this point. Feel like I need more dwarfs to get anything done

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Quickfort shouldnt be too hard to update since it doesnt edit the game in any way that I know of.

How does Picturefort work, btw?

Picturefort is awesome. I was playing around with it today.

What it does, is it takes .PNG files and lets you assign colors to various dwarf actions (dig, channel, stairs, build-a-bed-here, etc.) and will then convert that .PNG into Quickfort .CSVs.

So, for instance, you can design a dwarven apartment block in Paint or Gimp (1 pixel = 1 DF square), and place beds using brown dots, doors with blue, mined out areas with black, and up/down stairs with red. Then, you'd open it in Picturefort, and the program will automatically scan all the colors you've used. Then, you just tell it what you want - first, mine out every color; then, on brown, build beds, etc. Click a couple options, and it'll generate 3 templates for Quickfort - one that designates all the mining, one that designates all the furniture, and one that turns all the beds into bedrooms.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    For some reason, my dwarves refuse to haul doors down to my lower levels. Is there some magical height requirement or something I'm not aware of or do they just not want to haul a door down 5 ramps?

• Options
    Someone on Reddit mentioned that they're seeing trees grow ridiculously fast, and then when branches fall off they're crashing through the floor and taking three levels or dirt with them. Anyone else getting this?

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    President Rex you're probably having a burrow problem, or perhaps an unconnected ramp.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    The dwarves can get down there for mining just fine. I assume that would also allow them to get down there with a door, but maybe there's a hole in my logic.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Just for the hell of it, do you have room down there to build a mason's shop and craft the doors right next to where you want to use them?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I got my walls up just in time. A fire breathing Hill Titan decided to visit and camped outside of my fort after I put up my bridge.

He was oddly content to just sit there though. I had some migrants show up and he never moved. I opened a spot in my back wall and they came in just fine.

And then a caravan from the mountain homes showed up, and the Titan was camped right next to my Depot. It was a rather epic battle and the titan was slain, except now the countryside is in flames and spreading quickly. All the merchants and guards are dead, some of which seemingly killed after the fact by the fire.

Now I sit and watch it burn outside my walls.

Edit: It seems the Liaison is the sole survivor. That should be an interesting discussion.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Do building destroyers not break walls?

• Options

No, those count as constructions. Doors, however, they can break, IIRC. They also love to smash workshops and furniture and the like.

• Options
    god help us all the day toady makes walls breakable, or puts in tunneling enemies that can breach your walls

• Options

No, those count as constructions. Doors, however, they can break, IIRC. They also love to smash workshops and furniture and the like.

Indeed. I always have a bridge over open space as my entrance.

• Options
    Bonepart wrote: »

Indeed. I always have a bridge over open space as my entrance.

I do the same, mostly because it lets me have a 3-space wide entrance for trader wagons.

• Options
    one thing that has always eluded me is how to get self sustaining power to pumpstacks, like if I wanted to pump magma up 50-100 levels, how do you link additional power to that crap?!

I probably don't really need to power it, but you know less dwarf fire-deaths.

• Options
    @TheKoolEagle‌

Windmills or waterwheels, depending on what you've got on your map.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @TheKoolEagle‌

Windmills or waterwheels, depending on what you've got on your map.

but how do you do multiple windmills/waterwheels without losing all the power, windmills generate 0, 20, or 40 power each, a pumpstack uses 10 power to run, and building a gear assembly to link multiple windmills takes 5 power each. which means I would need somewhere around 25-50 windmills, not including extra power to link all the assemblies.

HOW TO DWARF NUCLEAR FISSION

• Options
    ... Have you ever heard of a dwarven reactor?

Basically, waterwheels produce enough power to drive a screw pump and then some*, so what you can do is link a waterwheel to screwpump, and have the screwpump pump water to the other side of the water wheel, so that it drives the wheel, which drives the pump, etc.

All you need to do is prime it, so to speak, by filling in the water (using the "pond" area).

* Actually, a lot more.

• Options
    Waterwheels provide a LOT more power.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Pffft, use the pump job to make your wrestler corps super beefy! Work them muscles!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    i don't think dwarves get strong from operating pumps anymore. I did love building a gym with a bunch of pumps in them back in the day though haha

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I always try to embark with a river, so I find a straight section of water and wall it in and turn it into my waterwheel power room.

With a good setup you can get 6 - 9 wheels going easy

Bonepart on
This discussion has been closed.