As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @TheKoolEagle‌

Windmills or waterwheels, depending on what you've got on your map.

but how do you do multiple windmills/waterwheels without losing all the power, windmills generate 0, 20, or 40 power each, a pumpstack uses 10 power to run, and building a gear assembly to link multiple windmills takes 5 power each. which means I would need somewhere around 25-50 windmills, not including extra power to link all the assemblies.

HOW TO DWARF NUCLEAR FISSION

Honestly, this is why I've never made a pump stack of more than 10 levels or so, and they were all hand-pumped. I just had two pump operators working in tandem to get a small amount of magma up to my workshop level since you don't actually need flowing magma for a magma forge to work. More recently I don't even bother with this, I just build my workshop around the magma and give my smiths their own living quarters and dining rooms down there.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    This is why I cranked up the Volcanic activity in my latest world. I'm sitting comfortably in the upper Caverns with several magma pipes and an underground lake. I got everything I need right here.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this would be a pretty tough fun place to disembark...
    CrYJhqX.png
    M6hgi15.png

I'm terrible at this game, but science must be done.

• Options
    Wall yourself in and never look back.

• Options
    I've built a moat. It's now full of slime. So are my three miners.

I just pierced the cave, is the cave terrifying too?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Campy‌
    Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower.

Goblins! Goblins!

Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower, Tower.

Goblins! Goblins!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's called The Lakes of Good, how bad could it really be?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    It's called The Lakes of Good, how bad could it really be?

I think they mean that they are lakes literally made from the Good. Like, you know, a Tower of Bronze or a City of Stone, etc.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Correction, it's not raining slime; it is in fact raining nauseating sludge.

So far the only enemies are some spongemen and a stingray. I wonder if the stingray can be pet trained...

Campy on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    There is a gear system in the game that you can use to combine power from multiple sources. It's kind of obtuse, I recommend reading up on it. Essentially, you're going to need a LOT of waterwheels/windmills to really do anything. To complicate things further, if you are making screw pumps to pump magma, all the materials used in the screw pump/mechanisms need to be non-flammable. If you aren't that lucky with finding iron, this can be a huge chore.

It's... quite an endeavor to pump magma from the magma lake up to the surface.

• Options
    I created a new world to finally give adventure mode a proper try.

Behold the ongoing (but probably not for much longer) adventures of Inod Ducimusen, a dwarf peasant recently appointed to the guard post of his home fortress.

Day 1

Despite living here all of my life I do not know my way around the fortress. I stumble through endless forges and workshops with not another soul in sight. Making my way up some stairs I discover room after room, each in the same state - a bed, clothing strewn across the floor, and devoid of people. Things are starting to feel a bit creepy.

ndhZU3J.png

Hours pass as I walk these barren halls. I wonder if perhaps the fortress was sieged and everybody died, which wouldn't be a great prospect for further employment. Finally, I hear sounds coming from the west. Moving closer, the welcome sounds of drinking and conversation fill my ears and I stroll merrily into a dining room packed with my fellow dwarves. Striking up polite conversation with the senior architect, I quickly steer the conversation towards recent troubles - eager to fulfil my duty as a trusted guard of the people. He informs of a fearsome beast roaming the nearby Candid Dunes, it is a monstrous hydra responsible for many local deaths - including some lesser nobles. My eagerness to perform does not blind my common sense however, and I hasten to inform him that this is not my problem and that I will be going now. Besides, technically I'm a fortress guard and cannot be held responsible for dangers that lie even slightly outside of it.

Beyond the dining halls I stumble into a treasure vault. Expensive looking armour, jewels and crafts cover the floor a foot deep. Among them, many of the nobility are frolicking merrily. In the corner, a few nobles (including the Duke) appear to have rounded up some of the commoners and forced them into some sort of orgy. Piles of naked dwarves lie atop one another, presumably hoping that none of their writhing results in any gems getting lodged where they really shouldn't.

nqd3VLP.png

Carrying myself as the professional I am, I pay no attention to these goings on and politely approach the Baroness Minkot - still eager to prove myself useful for something. She informs me that "we've got beasts, criminals, bandits and bone-chilling horror". Ahh...yes, I'll take the criminals please.

Thieves and murderers, human of course, have a small settlement called Satincuddled among some nearby hills. This seems like it's more up my alley. The baroness also mentions that Satincuddled is famous for its chocolate chapel, which if nothing else would go really well with this prepared elk brain I have in my satchel. I inquire with some fellow guards about the prospect of them joining me for an adventure, alas they merely mock my enthusiasm and laugh me off.

I can't find my way out of this bloody fortress, so I decide it is time to travel by map.

Day ??-??

I somehow exit the fortress and wander aimlessly among hills, dales, deserts and forest. I have no idea how this works or where I am going, neither did I look up the key to exit this mode. Finally, I am able to lower the map from my face somehow, and find myself deep underground in an expansive cavern. The cavern may be a natural formation but the wide, gleaming road carved through it is definitely not. I head to the north and then to the east, the road shows no sign of ending. I pass by the odd mushroom or pool of filthy water, but there is no trace of the road's architects. Eventually it begins to slope upwards, and realising that many dangerous foes may be lurking, I adopt a stealthy pace to conceal my footsteps.

Movement ahead! I approach cautiously to find a small colony of naked mole rats. I need to practice my skills, and I only have so much food, so I creep up behind them with my war hammer in hand. Striking from the shadows, I bash the nearest mole rat in the rear. Bruised but very much still alive, I heft the hammer for another blow. And another. And another. Annddd let's see here....yep, 23 blows in total. The mole rat lies battered and dead at my feet, I triumphantly scoop it up and place it in my backpack, noting that at least all of my exertion will leave it nicely tenderised for later.

After some brief finger counting, I decide it would not be worth spending a month killing the rest of them, so I continue up the ramp to the east. It isn't long before I spot a helmet snake and, still sneaking, I move closer and deliver a solid blow to its body. The snake collapses, struggling for breath, and a few blows to the head finish it easily. I'm getting a lot better at this! I bag it and move on. Now a real challenge awaits, as a huge crocodile lies in the middle of the road. Fuelled by my earlier success, I boldly approach the beast and once again deliver an ambush blow to the chest. With its ribs cracked and lungs punctured, the croc is in no position to refuse my offer of several hammers to the head, and another trophy is somehow stuffed into my groaning backpack.

This adventuring lark doesn't seem all that hard. Admittedly I'm god knows how far underground with no obvious way back to the surface, but at this rate I can easily survive by eating local fauna and collecting water from the still numerous pools. I maintain my silent stride along the road for many more miles, continuing as it veers off to the south.

And then this happened

oAYlqOa.png

From nowhere, a giant spider knocks me to the ground. Apparently I wasn't stealthy enough. I receive a few bites and block a few more, things aren't looking good. My warhammer is released from my grip as savage bites to my arm send pain shooting through my body. I rear up and aim a punch at the thing's abdomen hoping to knock it off balance, but a stream of webbing shoots out and pins me back to the ground. I try in vain to aim some kicks, but the webbing is too tight and the foul beast moves in to deliver several mortal bites to my head. Visions of triumphant victories over crocodiles, and of dwarf children being slain in their beds by the giant spiders I failed to stop fill my dying thoughts. And since technically I can no longer be writing this journal, all that remains is to say:

RIP Inod Ducimusen - You tried hard but were really quite poor at your job.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Wait is that 0.099 for real? Did he redo the turn system in the new version?

That number is how long it takes you to take one turn, one step, one attack etc. In the previous version you wanted to keep it around 800-1000 if possible. I think 1000 was "normal" for most creatures.

I'm betting he changed it so that 1.0 is normal. Even in that case, everything else in the world was getting 10 moves to your 1. That's why you got hit so much, instantly.

Corpses are super heavy. In the future, you should press x while standing over it, go to butcher, choose the corpse and a bladed weapon and then only pick up the meat. Even then, the meat will be very heavy. Keep an eye on that number, you'll see it drastically decrease as the weight of what you're carrying goes up, or if you are sneaking, or if you are "on ground."

Especially keep an eye out for being "on ground" and be sure to stand up again, don't waste a day traveling at half speed or less because something knocked you over on the previous day and you never bothered to stand up. :P

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    A farmer just went insane and ended up getting strangled by a cheese maker.

That makes sense to me. I understand dwarfs losing their minds.

What I don't understand is the gemsetter and the furnace worker, who when the farmer went insane, decided to start fighting... for him? Or something? The furnace worker said he had stakes in this fight, and beat the shit out of my mechanic.

The gemsetter mauled my expedition leader, breaking his fingers and toes, punching out 4 front teeth and tearing his eye open.

And then the farmer died, and it went back to normal. The gemsetter is setting gems and the furnace worker is melting gold. I couldn't target them with my military during the fight. Its just weird.

• Options
    I tried to butcher but apparently the dagger I started with didn't qualify and the war hammer obviously not. Maybe I just had to equip the dagger?

I just tried another game as a human peasant. I walked around a beach and killed some crabs, sort of figured out the fast travel system, then tried to swim across a river and drowned. Lesson learned, always raise starting swimming skill.

Still haven't figured out quest tracking though.

As for the movement in that screenshot, I still had sneak mode turned on and had been knocked to the ground. Don't worry I figured out how to stand up/go prone.

sig.gif
  • Options
    A farmer just went insane and ended up getting strangled by a cheese maker.

That makes sense to me. I understand dwarfs losing their minds.

What I don't understand is the gemsetter and the furnace worker, who when the farmer went insane, decided to start fighting... for him? Or something? The furnace worker said he had stakes in this fight, and beat the shit out of my mechanic.

The gemsetter mauled my expedition leader, breaking his fingers and toes, punching out 4 front teeth and tearing his eye open.

And then the farmer died, and it went back to normal. The gemsetter is setting gems and the furnace worker is melting gold. I couldn't target them with my military during the fight. Its just weird.

Given the addition of the new orientation tag...

Secret love triangle?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    There are no secrets in dwarf fortress. Hit v, find the gemsetter and check relationships.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There are no secrets in dwarf fortress. Hit v, find the gemsetter and check relationships.

Apparently the farmer was the gemsetters cousin. But I can't find any relation for the furnace operator.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    did uhh.... did toady make it so family members can't have affection? or can I breed hillbilly dwarves.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options

Apparently the farmer was the gemsetters cousin. But I can't find any relation for the furnace operator.

Was he in turn somehow related to the gemsetter?

• Options
    I tried to butcher but apparently the dagger I started with didn't qualify and the war hammer obviously not. Maybe I just had to equip the dagger?

I just tried another game as a human peasant. I walked around a beach and killed some crabs, sort of figured out the fast travel system, then tried to swim across a river and drowned. Lesson learned, always raise starting swimming skill.

Still haven't figured out quest tracking though.

As for the movement in that screenshot, I still had sneak mode turned on and had been knocked to the ground. Don't worry I figured out how to stand up/go prone.

Yeah, I can help you a bit on skills and attributes.

- Always take novice swimmer or you will drown before you can learn to get better.
    - Always take novice reader if you think you might someday want to learn the secrets of life and death and become a necromancer. Reading is basically a binary choice at this point, either you can or you can't.
    - Pick either dodge or shield user and invest heavily in it to begin with. Dodge might be a better choice, because you can hold a dozen shields in one hand and train shield user up very quickly.
    - And obviously pick one weapon you like and invest heavily in it. Bladed can be easier to kill with than blunt.

There aren't really any other skills you need to invest in besides those.

- Creativity, patience, linguistic ability, and musicality are all completely worthless. Set them all to very low to get more points. Empathy is supposed to increase the chance of people joining you but in practice it is really not worth it, so treat it the same way, as a dump stat.
    - Strength, agility, and toughness are the most important attributes, put all three as high as they will go.
    - Kinesthetic sense and spatial sense are surprisingly some of the more important attributes, they affect a lot of skills. Might consider a few points in them.
    - If you increase disease resistance, you might have difficulty becoming a vampire, I think that's the only thing it affects at the moment. You can just leave it at average.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Can you do any medical stuff in adventure? Or is it just wait and hope?

I think I finally got a handle on travelling across the map. I managed to actually find one of the bandit camps people were talking about, and I managed to kill them!

I got to the chief last and err...I may have gone a bit overboard in my celebration.
    W0Soty5.png

What you can't see from that image, is that I broke his feet, broke his wrists, pulled his fingers off one by one, then ripped the hands off completely. I may have gotten halfway through doing the same thing to his feet when he decided to just die.

Immediately following this I struck up a conversation with a nearby person and got this gem of an exchange:

DJJHm5X.png

sig.gif
  • Options
    Can you do any medical stuff in adventure? Or is it just wait and hope?

No, basically you need to get to a safe place and sleep repeatedly (eating and drinking between sleeps).

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Recuperation or whatever it is can be a good stat to have high. I had a hero level adventurer with that set to max and I managed to sleep off the injuries gained from falling five levels underground. He's retired now, totally covered in long straight scars below the waist.

Speaking of adventure mode, I just had a lovely chat with a grasshopper-man about the weather. I don't know if I want the beast-men to be more aggressive, or if I should just find a way to hack them as recruitable.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    well, i think i found a terrible bug. my game has slown down to under 1fps after i made a green zircon weapon rack from a moody gemcutter. I can't even hit space to pause it now :(

• Options
    edited July 2014
    C-A-D, backup your old save (you are doing seasonal backups, right?) to a different directory, then go back into DF and try to save. Quit, relaunch, reload. See if clearing the game's buffer helps at all. If not, kill the process and restore the earlier save.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I actually retired the fort because it was less than a year old, and started a new fort, exact same FPS hit happened, so I think that artifact fucked the entire world haha. I genned a new world and everything is running much smoother

• Options
    One guy makes a green zircon weapon rack and the entire earth slows to a crawl?

Inadvertently created the singularity or something. Dwarven super collider.

You didn't delete the world, did you? That seems like something that really should be reported, I want someone to figure out how and why that happened.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    yeah i still have the world, i just stopped playing on it because its unplayable

edit: yeah this new world is super stable, no issues at all, except I got a queen who showed up when i had 23 dwarves in the first year, so that is something I am dealing with

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    So I drowned on a new character today, and because I looted a bunch of awesome iron armour from the starting place I decided to start there again and retrieve the stuff from my corpse.

I fished my old self out of the river and took all the armour and weapons back. And in lieu of a burial option, I butchered myself. Now I carry my previous skull around with me, along with some delicious human sweetroll.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    05 is out, just waiting for the starter pack, for I am lazy.

• Options
    So my awesome amazing fortress I've been working on for a long time now...has no tiles of sand and no bituminous coal. :( That puts a damper on some major things I was wanting to do.

Been gone long enough that I forgot some of the important things to look for. Well at least I've got hematite, and plenty of trees to turn to coal...

xX1CmPR.jpg

This is the roof over the Dwarven Hotel courtyard. The area that looks partly mined to the right is eventually going to be shaved down and have a rounded tower facade facing east.

The volcano up there looks a bit buggy/blue due to the newness of the multiple layer viewing mod.

zn9xZsg.jpg

Here's the bottom floor of the Dwarven Hotel. Only got windows in on one wall due to aforementioned lack of foresight on sand. Dining area in the middle, and exposing the courtyard to light seems to have had the added bonus of growing grass down there, so my dwarves eat next to all their animals. Thinking about putting in a mist system above the tables.

Also you can see over to the right the bottom of the huge pit at the entrace to my fortress, lined with menacing iron spikes.

zVUCZYQ.jpg

The top of the pit is the three bridges here. Still working on properly trapping the front. You can see the massive bridge I'm working on, extending out east. It curves north and I'm going to connect it up with that bit visible at the bottom of the canyon.

I think one of my next major goals though is going to be making a ton of iron corkscrews and melting them for a net profit on iron (150% back!). Don't want to run out. I have a lot of traps to make.

• Options
    gevVbUE.jpg

A view in Overseer. You can see what I'm doing with the front of the fortress a lot better.

LzvTfNg.jpg

The courtyard of the Dwarven Hotel. 29 Z levels between the roof and the bottom. Only the bottom 8 are mined for occupants, and only a few of the lowest are actually occupied, because there's room for like 40 dwarf rooms per layer.

I made some mistakes in a few areas down there, cut open holes in the wall, but it's ok because they'll be filled with glass windows eventually.

• Options
  • Options
    Spiked wooden balls. Trees are a renewable resource.

What about 'em?

• Options
    You don't have to grind the iron corkscrew exploit for trap components that way.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Well it's more than that, I need iron to make pig iron to make steel too. I just want to be sitting on a good stock of iron before I go nuts.

Aren't the wooden ones less damaging/painful?

Also, are traps considered useless/underpowered if they aren't stacked up to 10 per tile? I want to go for like 3 per tile but have a lot more traps in the hallways.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    No, they still do damage, you get just get more hits per tile if you have more components per trap.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    When you're getting hit by 10 masterwork spiked wooden balls being fired by a trap connected to a masterwork mechanism, it's not all that important.

I generally stack 'em 10 up, along a 1x wide corridor that is the only way out of the pit I just dropped you in.

You being a hostile elf/goblin/human, of course.

This discussion has been closed.