As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    In schedule you can toggle between civilian clothes/keeping military equipment when off duty.

I had a second siege from the local necromancers. There was one zombie. And 3 unarmed necromancers who fled off the map as soon as one of my dwarves saw them. So the zombie is just chillin at the edge of the map but as long as I'm sieged there's no caravans, and I already lost my dwarf cavern to the goblin siege in autumn. So I sent the dwarf with my only spear to kill him, and she stabbed him straight through the head first time.

Thinking I got off lightly. But now I'm worried having a king at ~50 pop is going to ruin me because I have no smithing capabilities yet and neither do I care to construct a damn palace while basic functionality still hasn't been met. Also this may mean my home Civ has been wiped out, which may stop dwarf caravans and then I'm fucked.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Why didn't you just train more war dogs, @UncleSporky‌?

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    My last fortress had one of my original dwarves promoted to queen while I was at 14 population in year 1. I still got caravans and even immigrants afterward--I think those only stop if *all* dwarven civilizations are wiped out.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Because they become attached to the person who trains them and follow them around. They're not exactly a squad you can command, without having a military squad you can assign the dogs to. Basically they just milled around the front of the fortress which was perfect for keeping out the dumb wildlife, but if I train more they might end up following a guy around deep indoors all day.

Now that I got a squad going I can have members of the squad train some up.

My fortress is on a hard lock of 120 dwarves at the moment, with no invasions killing people and babies turned off I can stay at this manageable number indefinitely until dwarves die of old age. However, since I'm playing on the old version still I'm really worried about the number changing at all, either to 119 or 121 dwarves...that's extremely likely to break migration and you just keep getting migrants forever, ignoring the cap.

What's the highest number of dwarves you guys have ever seen? I looked around online and hardly ever see talk of much more than 200. One guy said he had an amazing computer and was comfortable at 350, and could probably handle up to 500. At that point you're really just limited by the game being 32 bit with no multi-core support.

I can't imagine dealing with anything over 200. I would probably kill all new migrants and get really fed up with burying them all to keep the ghosts down. Wonder how long it would take to get them to stop coming due to the fortress being a deathtrap.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    no invasions, killing people, and babies turned off

This is how I run my life.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I mean, I have no invasions happening, therefore none of my people get killed. I didn't forget a comma, I'm not killing people yet.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I'm actually tempted to start up a fortress with immigrants turned off. It sounds like a fun challenge.

• Options
    Channelled a river to create a waterfall over my entrance way.

Only two people drowned when it was activated!

And now I'm reasonably sure it will never cause a flood or death again.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    And just like that...having done nothing different, changed no settings, after deciding to forget about it for a while...I can now go into stocks and see all the steel equipment I had made. Tons of it. Still just searching for "steel" like I did 5 minutes ago...

Everything is suddenly fine and they all are equipping their stuff. What the hell.

It's all still on exact matches. I had made a new uniform specifying steel mail shirt, steel greaves etc., along with leather robe, leather cloak, sock, the whole shebang. I changed it from over clothes to replace clothes and back a couple times, but that shouldn't have affected whether stocks shows steel weapons and armor.

Do you have a bookkeeper?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I'm actually tempted to start up a fortress with immigrants turned off. It sounds like a fun challenge.

It's actually quite easy, you have way more food than you'll ever need, and with even just a full time rock crafter you can trade for infinite supplies.

With so much importance on each dwarf and the ease of micromanagement, it's pretty chill, other than if you want to get any major projects going.
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    And just like that...having done nothing different, changed no settings, after deciding to forget about it for a while...I can now go into stocks and see all the steel equipment I had made. Tons of it. Still just searching for "steel" like I did 5 minutes ago...

Everything is suddenly fine and they all are equipping their stuff. What the hell.

It's all still on exact matches. I had made a new uniform specifying steel mail shirt, steel greaves etc., along with leather robe, leather cloak, sock, the whole shebang. I changed it from over clothes to replace clothes and back a couple times, but that shouldn't have affected whether stocks shows steel weapons and armor.

Do you have a bookkeeper?

Yes, I've had one for ages. And I had used the stocks screen earlier to count my equipment. Like I had bought 3 steel maces from the caravan, so I needed to forge 7 more to outfit a squad, that sort of thing. And usually stuff doesn't disappear from stocks, I thought. A letter shows up next to the object if there is a job dealing with it, like hauling it around etc.

I swear I didn't screw up, I typed "steel" and only saw a few things like steel bolts and steelfin trouts or whatever they are, and then later did the same search and saw loads of gear.

Eh, I got past it. And I'm still on the previous version so it could be something fixed in the new one.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Wait, you can search from the stocks menu?!

• Options

Because they become attached to the person who trains them and follow them around. They're not exactly a squad you can command, without having a military squad you can assign the dogs to. Basically they just milled around the front of the fortress which was perfect for keeping out the dumb wildlife, but if I train more they might end up following a guy around deep indoors all day.

Now that I got a squad going I can have members of the squad train some up.

Oh - I usually just throw a couple ropes out in the middle of nowhere and tie the war dogs to them.

Or define a pasture and assign the war dog; that works, too, usually.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    yeah usually my entrance features a ton of wardogs and all their puppies right after the bridge, that way no thieves can sneak past the giant puppy mob

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Oh yeah. I never thought of that. I guess you learn random new small things about what you can do in Dwarf Fortress every time you play.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Eh, I got past it. And I'm still on the previous version so it could be something fixed in the new one.

I used to have trouble not seeing stuff in stocks until it actually ended up in the stockpile. (so, sitting there in the workshop after being made). Sometimes if your dwarves are super busy, it can take a long time to get to moving them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I love reading sparring logs, they're all fighting so earnestly but they all end with "lightly tapping the target." They're dodging around and counterattacking and all that, but pulling their punches. You can just picture it.

• Options
    Until someone throws someone into a wall and breaks their ribs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Holy crap I have never seen a description like this, that's brutally awesome.

OcZB41i.jpg

• Options
    I love that the flying steel bolt is already forbidden. :D

• Options
    That happens a lot when you use war hammers.

I'm having trouble getting jails to work. Restraints are fine, build the chain and toggle it to justice use. But cages the [j]ustice toggle is always either greyed out or doesn't respond to pressing j.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Channelled a river to create a waterfall over my entrance way.

Only two people drowned when it was activated!

And now I'm reasonably sure it will never cause a flood or death again.

When funneling a river to a Z level below, where do you put the water?

Is a pump necessary? Thats something I haven't figured out yet

• Options
    edited August 2014
    What do you mean where do you put the water?

You definitely don't need a pump. Mine up to the edge of the river so there's only one block before the water, then go 1 Z level up (that is, to the surface) and channel the final block out from above. Before you channel the last block and let the water in, build a floodgate in the tunnel you mined out and link it up to a lever. Now you control the flow of water from the river down your tunnel.

If the water is to be an underground reservoir for wells, then you need to equalise the pressure so it doesn't rise up through your well and flood the whole place. This is easily achieved by forcing the water through diagonal blocks.

This is a quick n dirty reservoir I made after embarking to satisfy basic needs, it was especially important as the surface water is frozen for half the year.

kv4ZY2P.png

This is 1 z-level below the surface, you can see the two floodgates I use to control the flow. What you can't see is the downward ramp at the end that drops the water down. The river is currently frozen.

Qrn9p2P.png

This is the next z-level down, and the main body of the reservoir. You can see the ramps where the water comes in from above and another ramp dropping it down further z-levels.

lGvMinw.png

This is the section underneath my dining hall. The two circles show where the wells are located in the room above, and the line shows the diagonal blocks that equalise the water pressure to this Z-level, preventing it from travelling up through the wells and flooding.

It's pretty simple when you know what you're doing. Pumps and waterfalls and such become a bit more complicated though.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I did not know about diagonals. Because of those, am I correct in saying that you don't necessarily need the floodgates? Assuming you were never going to do anything else with the water.

My river control has mostly just been throttling floodgates in order to flood caverns to make mud for farming, or again throttling them to make wells.

The waterfall is why I asked where you would put the water. Guess I should learn pumps

• Options
    Yes the floodgates aren't really necessary. It's just a precaution in case I fucked something up.

The waterfall water drains through grates in the floor and flows through an underground tunnel off the edge of the map, so there's no need to do anything with it. If I was making a waterfall without a river then yes, it would involve pumping water from one pool into a higher pool and letting it flow back down. No risk of flooding there because there's only a finite amount of water.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I love that the flying steel bolt is already forbidden. :D

If it wasn't, the crossbowdwarf would probably snatch it out of the air after firing it.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You can make an endless cycle for waterfalls that only need 1 7/7 block of water. Well, mister.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting jails to work. Restraints are fine, build the chain and toggle it to justice use. But cages the [j]ustice toggle is always either greyed out or doesn't respond to pressing j.

Are the cages already in a room with a justice-toggled restraint? When you assign a cage/restraint to justice, the entire room is usually designated as a jail by default; any other restraints or cages built in the room are automatically assigned to justice and cannot be toggled off without toggling off the original restraint used to designate the room.

Aside from that, cages are effectively a death sentence for jailed dwarves. Even if other dwarves remember to bring them food/water (they usually won't), they'll probably emerge either insane or ready to throw a tantrum again. I've found luxury jails essential in halting tantrum spirals: high-quality restraints surrounded by a nice table, chair, with access to small food and alcohol stockpiles. It's tedious to set up, but I've had dwarves go from tantruming to ecstatic because they enjoyed their jail time so much.

The wiki says imprisoned dwarves throwing a tantrum can break their rope restraints, but I've never seen that happen in df2014 despite regularly jailing my strongest military dwarves.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Nope, no other room designations. I like a cage for imprisoning murderous vampires so I can move them about and never actually release them unless its part of a trap to deal with invaders.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So with the new tree system, how do I avoid my dwarves getting crushed by the trees? My axedwarf has already broken her hand and keeps getting knocked unconcious.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Geth approves.

• Options
    I'm trying to figure out what choice words were used in those sentences to trigger Gethwatch. Also I think its a bit based on luck at the moment that the tree doesn't crush the dwarf chopping it down. I've had some wood cutters who have clearcut everything without ever getting injured, but I had one fort within the first 4 trees severely broke his leg to the point he couldn't walk and died.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    It's probably linked to spatial awareness and dodging.

Gotta combat train those woodcutters to fight those vicious tree-foes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    So, Toady's a fan of the Order of the Stick? Makes sense.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So with the new tree system, how do I avoid my dwarves getting crushed by the trees? My axedwarf has already broken her hand and keeps getting knocked unconcious.
    Your axedwarves learn pretty quickly not to be dumb.

Nearby dwarves, however, will probably be crushed.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    There is very little that's more frustrating than seeing your awesome military dude slowly dying on the field after a battle from a wounded foot (and no other wounds) because no one will pick him up for medical care, even though all other jobs are turned off and you have guys whose only job it is is to gather wounded. Sonofabitch. I literally have like 30 dudes standing around doing nothing. There were four other wounded guys from the same fight and they all got picked up. They must really hate this guy.

::edit:: ah, duh, no free beds in the hospital. Oy.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Also make sure you didn't turn something off in [o]rders screens, like ignoring wounded dwarves or forbidding going outside.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The same fort I've been posting pictures of also has this on a lower floor:

ReHzW17.jpg

It's a map I was working on a while back as a possible PnP RPG map. Like an Undermountain sort of thing. Mimic in this room, howling statue in this room, etc. Eventually I want to fill the whole layer like that.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    I think that picture just broke my mind.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

Never let your dwarves wander around outdoors. Trees are evil and deadly. Designate meeting areas to make sure your jobless dwarves stay indoors. Also, cut down every fucking tree on the map. Woodcutters themelves should never get hit by falling branches, unless you have more than one (in which case one of them will inevitably be crushed by logs and die).

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    goddamn, we are up to 40_06 r1 for LNP, time to start over, again!

edit: also LNP told me there was a new version available. That is new, and I like it.
    double edit: I just deleted my old DF files, it was 1 gigabyte of dorfs and fortresses

TheKoolEagle on
This discussion has been closed.