As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Put all ME3 discussion in spoiler tags. ALL OF IT.

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Well, I didn't mean to spend five hours playing the multiplayer today, but here we are.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I am biologically incapable of not owning asura's wrath at some point

for now, ME3's pull is stronger

but I cannot not own it for long

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I loved the shadow broker dlc, but didn't like overlord very much.

I keep seeing people praising the ending of overlord, but it seemed pretty predictable?
    I mean, the second he said "my brother went into the virtual world to merge with the geth" I was like oh man I bet he had a mental deficiency and you took advantage of and or abused him and he went crazy

Answer: rain man vi yup yup

Also I did not understand the vi world you went into at the end, it didn't make any sense.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fucOC7YgaYY

everyone buy this game

buy it forever

if enough people do maybe they'll have enough money to make a sequel that is actually a game and not an interactive movie

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Langly wrote: »

I keep seeing people praising the ending of overlord, but it seemed pretty predictable?
    I mean, the second he said "my brother went into the virtual world to merge with the geth" I was like oh man I bet he had a mental deficiency and you took advantage of and or abused him and he went crazy

Also I did not understand the vi world you went into at the end, it didn't make any sense.
    David tapped into Shepard's mind somehow so that he could see David's memories of being forced into the project.

Pretty sure the Geth you were fighting along the way were real, they just looked all digital.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    A story doesn't need to be ultra-shocking to be good, yo. I can't put my finger on any one reason why, but in terms of emotional impact a video game has had on me Overlord is second only to the Andrew Ryan scene in Bioshock.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    wow, speed, from what I'd heard that asura game sounded pretty dumb

but that clip was really cool

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

David tapped into Shepard's mind somehow so that he could see David's memories of being forced into the project.

Pretty sure the Geth you were fighting along the way were real, they just looked all digital.
    It probably has something to do with the fact that Shepard's more machine than meat at this point.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

At this point, Shepard's as much cyborg as human.
    You got hacked, buddy. Better upgrade your firewall.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    jackisreal wrote: »
    A story doesn't need to be ultra-shocking to be good, yo. I can't put my finger on any one reason why, but in terms of emotional impact a video game has had on me Overlord is second only to the Andrew Ryan scene in Bioshock.

Well, that sold me.

*buys more MS points for DLC*

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I bought that this morning and once ME2 is reinstalled I guess I'm off on a voyage of Shadowbrokery

Despite having the whole thing spoiled, but nuts to that

Spoiled or not, it is very fun to play through.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Dux wrote: »

It probably has something to do with the fact that Shepard's more machine than meat at this point.
    I never got that impression. Yeah he's got some cybernetics but why wouldn't he still be mostly flesh?

• Options
    If ME3 matches Shadowbroker for sheer fun, it's going to be the most amazing 40-50 hours of gameplay ever.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

I don't mean predictable here as in non-shocking. Some of my favorite stories were ones that I went into alrready knowing the ending/twist or whatever.

By predictable I mean the plot is tired both in the realm of the type in other scifi stuff, and even within the universe of mass effect
    if the story is a cerberus project, think of the most horrific way the project/experiment could go. That is what happened. It just gets old. And since the story comes off as cliche (to me), it loses the emotional impact.

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    If ME3 matches Shadowbroker for sheer fun, it's going to be the most amazing 40-50 hours of gameplay ever.

9 days...

• Options

I never got that impression. Yeah he's got some cybernetics but why wouldn't he still be mostly flesh?
    He or she got burned to a crisp? Magic alone can't bring a person back from the dead. You gotta add a little science into the mix.

• Options

He or she got burned to a crisp? Magic alone can't bring a person back from the dead. You gotta add a little science into the mix.
    Obviously. But I took that to mean that he had been given various implants in the process, not that he was half replaced with tech. The extent of what they really did was never really suggested beyond "A few extra parts".

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    So is this game finally like Dragon Age where conversations take place with the helmet off

I'd like that

Yeah, there's an option for that in the menus (alternatives: always on, always off, off in conversations, some other option). Here's a link with a bunch of the armours, looking pretty great and an impressive number not featuring boobplate:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9478281/1

Catching up on this thread and I am so glad this option exists.

• Options

Obviously. But I took that to mean that he had been given various implants in the process, not that he was half replaced with tech. The extent of what they really did was never really suggested beyond "A few extra parts".
    You can get an idea of how much was replaced or improved by reading all the flavor text when upgrading shepard's health and shit and by the glowing parts on the class select screen. It may not be half, but it's still a lot.

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular

That your eyes glow red if you're doing a renegade run suggests that the eyes at least are cybernetic, that alone would allow David to alter what you can see.

• Options

I don't mean predictable here as in non-shocking. Some of my favorite stories were ones that I went into alrready knowing the ending/twist or whatever.

By predictable I mean the plot is tired both in the realm of the type in other scifi stuff, and even within the universe of mass effect
    if the story is a cerberus project, think of the most horrific way the project/experiment could go. That is what happened. It just gets old. And since the story comes off as cliche (to me), it loses the emotional impact.

There have undoubtedly been loads and loads of 'rogue vi' or 'project gone wrong' missions that I would have a really hard time discerning from each other--but Overlord stands out because it was the first one to actually give me a worthwhile emotional experience, that actually made me feel what all those other missions were probably going for, on every level from the execution of the dialogue to the way the cameras follow you around the room.
    MAKEITSTOP

KalTorak wrote: »

Well, that sold me.

Make sure you turn your volume way up!

Also, sorry in advance if you don't like it. I know a lot of people think it's pretty mediocre, but those that like it tend to really like it.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I got the impression that most of Shep's upgrades are sort of 'upgraded organics' with some cybernetics thrown in where they couldn't grow proper organic stuff

I don't think he has many mechanical parts

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    I bought that this morning and once ME2 is reinstalled I guess I'm off on a voyage of Shadowbrokery

Despite having the whole thing spoiled, but nuts to that

thankfully i went in completely blind and man that was extremely well crafted

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    One of the most annoying things about ME2 is having to reinstall every single DLC when you want to load an old save, even if you're just going to play the base game. Hope it's done differently in ME3.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    everyone buy this game

buy it forever

if enough people do maybe they'll have enough money to make a sequel that is actually a game and not an interactive movie

But what if that ruins it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Most of the upgrades were nanoscale stuff

Nanofiber skin weaves, something with carbon for the bones

Not like YOUR ARM IS NOW A ROBOT

• Options
    So, replaying ME2 in prep for ME3.

I LOVE MORDIN

And Kasumi is the best. Who wrote her?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I got the impression that most of Shep's upgrades are sort of 'upgraded organics' with some cybernetics thrown in where they couldn't grow proper organic stuff

He's got pure mechanic parts stapled all over his spine, heart and brain.

His blood vessels have been modified to carry medigel, his bones have been reinforced, his muscles augmented with nanomachines, and his eyes glow fucking red.

How much more cyborg do you need? He's nearly as augmented as Raiden from Metal Gear. It's just not as obvious.

• Options
    Shepard is basically DX:HR's Jensen, but with less obvious cybernetics.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Turambar wrote: »

He's got pure mechanic parts stapled all over his spine, heart and brain.

His blood vessels have been modified to carry medigel, his bones have been reinforced, his muscles augmented with nanomachines, and his eyes glow fucking red.

How much more cyborg do you need? He's nearly as augmented as Raiden from Metal Gear. It's just not as obvious.
    adam_jensen_icon_by_krysalid-d3529e6.png

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    since ME2 came out much earlier isn't that guy basically shepard with more obvious cybernetics?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular

There have undoubtedly been loads and loads of 'rogue vi' or 'project gone wrong' missions that I would have a really hard time discerning from each other--but Overlord stands out because it was the first one to actually give me a worthwhile emotional experience, that actually made me feel what all those other missions were probably going for, on every level from the execution of the dialogue to the way the cameras follow you around the room.
    MAKEITSTOP

KalTorak wrote: »

Well, that sold me.

Make sure you turn your volume way up!

Also, sorry in advance if you don't like it. I know a lot of people think it's pretty mediocre, but those that like it tend to really like it.

I think I have to replay it with subtitles, sadly I couldn't understand a lot of what was said.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah, but ME2 takes place further along the timeline then DX3

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Shepard is the best cyborg because she doesn't make a big deal about it like Jensen and literally every single other cyborg

it just, yeah, I got some upgrades, nbd

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Shepard is basically DX:HR's Jensen, but with less obvious cybernetics.

She TOTALLY asked for those sweet augs.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Shepard is the best cyborg because she doesn't make a big deal about it like Jensen and literally every single other cyborg

it just, yeah, I got some upgrades, nbd

I like that alot about Appleseed as well. There is ZERO mention in the original about cyborg descrimination. And a lot of those borgs come with headpieces that make them look more like aliens than humans (plus things like built in internal-weapons, detachable limbs, extra limbs etc), and it's just no big deal. The practical difference is they are faster, slightly tankier, and can do some cool stuff. But for the most part it's nothing a highly trained human in a Landmate power suit couldn't match.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Sweet trailer, pretty bad copy writing though...I mean... "faced with becoming nothing?" really?

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    that live action commercial is

pretty dope

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    and i still cannot comprehend why people actually want to buy asura's wrath

just

it boggles my mind

This discussion has been closed.