Options

Mass Effect 3: They Call It Halo

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm always so conflicted over which squadmates to bring on each mission.
    I usually end up bringing Garrus and Liara, but I also want to bring EDI and the DLC dude.

Thats all I really have right now + james

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    ending!
    Langly wrote: »
    no, it really doesn't have to end like that. There aren't rules, there are other ways to have an impact. Thousands of soldiers make sacrifices and come back home and have to live and find a life in peace. That happens. There isn't some rule book that says welp this theme plus this theme equals character sacrifice, sorry there is no ther way.

People make that lep all the time and it isn't based in anything at all.
    This is about narrative impact and buildup. It would be different if this were ME1, where yeah, it wouldn't make sense for Shepard to die. But the entire leadup to the ending has harped on the theme of sacrifice. Even after being (mortally?) wounded, Shepard still drags herself to her feet to finish the job no matter the cost.

Surviving just cheapens it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9NO4GQJRk

is my retort. It would have that same feeling that ME1 had when you thought Shepard was dead, just more so because you haven't any thoughts that she would get out of that. Rule of Cool is just as cliche as Sacrifice Equals Death. I feel fine with either outcome, but you're not playing Devil's Advocate with your own argument.
    Skullo wrote: »
    More Ending (apparently can't let this go).

I guess I'm in the camp that feels like everything they've done has zero impact on the future. And that's pretty upsetting. I spent 3 games uniting a galaxy against a threat that's actually not the real threat and then they can't take advantage of that.

Can't see why it couldn't have been:

Low assets/no assets: Everyone dies, cycle repeats.
    Minimum assets: You drive off the reapers but everything is fucked?
    High assets: You drive off the reapers, Shep dies in the process.
    Highest: Same, but shep lives?

You could keep everything the way it is, substituting the stupid god-kid's choice with Shep activating the weapon in her final moments.
    I keep saying this but the trilogy is Shep's story, not the galaxy's

What happens to the galaxy is a thing for later games, once Bioware hashes out a distant future for it

Shep's story, and our knowledge of the galaxy, ends when Shep dies. The end. Lights go out.

Also there's no reason for Shep to live other than the player's need for a feel-good ending, everyone goes into that mission knowing there's a damn good chance they're dying
    I contest that the galaxy is Shep's story. Everything you did, unless you were completely Terra Firma Dickshep, was Shep making the galaxy a better place, or at least making an impression upon it. By effectively killing 2/3rd's of the galaxy by destroying the Mass Relays, I feel that it cheapens all that Shep has done in all three games.

I contest that he even did that thing and also the first point
    Shep's story is fighting the reapers and the decisions that play into that

Not some altruistic desire to help the galaxy

He's doing his job, that's all
    And in so doing of his job, especially as the idea of being a Spectre, his story is played out by the results of his actions, not just his actions. If the result of his action to stop the Reapers is to cut off the galaxy is to cheapen every other thing that he had worked toward, it sits wrong in my wheelhouse. All life, as we know it, is built around the idea of connection, and what that connection does after death. If Shep's story as we have played it is his life, then one great decision invalidates a ginormous portion of it.
    Which is why the best ending is Control. Shepard can use the Reapers to rebuild the Relay Network. Even improve it.

And now that taky is, hopefully, still in the thread, I can tell him personally to forget about the haters, ME3 had a damn fine ending and was a damn fine final chapter to a fantastic series.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I just did sur'kesh and I feel like this is going slow

fun though

Pathing spoilers, nothing major.
    You're about 1/3 done actually, side missions/GaW grinding in multiplayer notwithstanding.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Garrus and EDI were usually my 'get shit done' crew, but I always liked to mix it up considering there's so much ambient dialogue.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    hate the geth

love fighting reapers

haven't done cerberus yet

I've done at least 10 random multiplayer enemies

literally not seen Reapers once

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I really gotta say that I love the citadel atmospheric dialogue.

Some of it is really heartbreaking :(

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, anyone who accuses this of being a cookie cutter game like DA2 is a damn nut

(I liked DA2)

This game is bursting with little conversations

and after consideration, the fact that shepard will just say stuff sometimes instead of consulting a dialog wheel every time someone says something to him is a good change

I think it makes the narrative flow better, and establish that shepard is not just a blank slate for the player, but rather a soldier with a past that informs some of what he says regardless of how the player plays him.

I didn't like it at first (another reason I didn't much care for the opening, it was really heavy there) but as the story rolled along it allowed for more dynamic storytelling

so yeah I appreciate it

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Garrus came with me basically everywhere.

Except...

(Endgame Spoilers)
    Cronos Station.

I figured Liara would want to work out some frustration on TIM, and EDI had to come along. Little wussy-ass bitch ran away at the last second though, so she just had to settle for Kai Leng.

I like to think she got as much satisfaction as I did when I stuck that omniblade through his chest cavity.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I just wish moving around didn't cut so much of it off. I ran into a bunch of situations where I'd be listening to a conversation, move a little bit, then another conversation would start and just cut the one that was already going on. Ditto for missions. I guess the game spaces out dialogue in such a way where it doesn't really expect you to use storm between fights, because whenever I did, I'd never make it all the way through conversations. And having to stand still waiting for them to finish just seems poorly thought out.

Javen on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular

the Turian C-Sec officer always checking up on that teenage girl who's waiting for her parents gets me every time

• Options
    Yeah, anyone who accuses this of being a cookie cutter game like DA2 is a damn nut

(I liked DA2)

This game is bursting with little conversations

and after consideration, the fact that shepard will just say stuff sometimes instead of consulting a dialog wheel every time someone says something to him is a good change

I think it makes the narrative flow better, and establish that shepard is not just a blank slate for the player, but rather a soldier with a past that informs some of what he says regardless of how the player plays him.

I didn't like it at first (another reason I didn't much care for the opening, it was really heavy there) but as the story rolled along it allowed for more dynamic storytelling

so yeah I appreciate it

Yeah, I think my favorite parts of the game in general were the changes to dialogue, and how for once, your crew members weren't the only ones with something to say.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    @takyris, let me add to the voices saying that this video game is good

Extremely well written (and the ending doesn't really bother me, as I wasn't fond of the end of 1 or 2 very much either, so I didn't have raised expectations), and, let me say, the way that the clear save sets up future DLC is smart.

endgame spoilers/dlc speculation
    Because I'm not storming TIM's base until I help clear out Omega with Aria.

I don't often find games to be worth every penny I've spent on them, but ME3, between the single player and the multi, is easily worth 80, if not more.

• Options

Except...

(Endgame Spoilers)
    Cronos Station.

I figured Liara would want to work out some frustration on TIM, and EDI had to come along. Little wussy-ass bitch ran away at the last second though, so she just had to settle for Kai Leng.

I like to think she got as much satisfaction as I did when I stuck that omniblade through his chest cavity.

see, I had teams for each planet (some ending stuff here)
    Tali and EDI for all the geth stuff, of course

Garrus and James for the Tuchanka stuff, Garrus because he's an old friend of Wrex and has a personal stake in helping the krogan so his planet's not fucked, James because he said on the ship he wanted to see how things there went down, Liara and Javik on Thessia (Javik on Thessia should be MANDATORY, it adds SO much.)

and then for the final countdown I brought my best girl Tali and my favorite bro James, and was pretty sad when I thought they both got hell lasered

but they're okay

I think

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    @takyris, let me add to the voices saying that this video game is good

Extremely well written (and the ending doesn't really bother me, as I wasn't fond of the end of 1 or 2 very much either, so I didn't have raised expectations), and, let me say, the way that the clear save sets up future DLC is smart.

endgame spoilers/dlc speculation
    Because I'm not storming TIM's base until I help clear out Omega with Aria.

I don't often find games to be worth every penny I've spent on them, but ME3, between the single player and the multi, is easily worth 80, if not more.
    I really hope Aria had already gone back to Omega, because otherwise it means she's Reaper-chow. And that makes me sad.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    See, now that I'm through the game, I'm really looking forward to this when I go to East.

BioWare and Mass Effect
    Manticore Theatre
    Friday 4:30pm - 5:30pm
    Voted the Most Anticipated Game of 2012 at the Spike TV Video Game Awards, Mass Effect 3 is finally here! Join developers for an exciting look at the evolution of the series. Bring your burning questions about Mass Effect 3! Fans wearing Mass Effect costumes will be given special recognition during the panel. Spoiler Alert, Garrus is calibrating and cannot attend.
    Panelists include: TBA

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Finale spoilers

I brought
    Javik and Kaidan. the Protheans got their revenge and Kaidan got to see the end of what we started together.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    hate the geth

love fighting reapers

haven't done cerberus yet

I've done at least 10 random multiplayer enemies

literally not seen Reapers once

they are the best

fighting them right now (spectator mode counts)

• Options
    I also changed the colors of my armor to blue and gold in the endgame
    FOR EARTH

I thought it looked pretty good in the armor setup thing but when I rolled out I looked like a tool and desperately wished I could change it because it made me look like a moron through all that heavy shit

cest la vie

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In fact, I think I'm gonna go ahead and say this is my favorite game to be released since....Mass Effect 2.\

EDIT: The only possible exception is The Old Republic.

I guess I just really like Bioware stuff.

Javen on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I only get Cerberus basically

Geth are rare

Reapers don't exist

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Augh give me new shotguns multiplayer.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options

Except...

(Endgame Spoilers)
    Cronos Station.

see, I had teams for each planet (some ending stuff here)
    Tali and EDI for all the geth stuff, of course

Garrus and James for the Tuchanka stuff, Garrus because he's an old friend of Wrex and has a personal stake in helping the krogan so his planet's not fucked, James because he said on the ship he wanted to see how things there went down, Liara and Javik on Thessia (Javik on Thessia should be MANDATORY, it adds SO much.)

and then for the final countdown I brought my best girl Tali and my favorite bro James, and was pretty sad when I thought they both got hell lasered

but they're okay

I think
    Garrus and Tali were there with me during the last mission.

Killed Saren with me, killed the Reaper baby with me, I figured they'd earned the right to see it through to the end.

I was worried for a while when I thought they got disintegrated, but Tali walked out during the Paragon ending, and I didn't see any quarian/turian corpses lying around the Conduit beam, so I assume they lived.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    In fact, I think I'm gonna go ahead and say this is my favorite game to be released since....Mass Effect 2.

double confirmed

dragon age is great and all, but nothing gets me going like a good sci-fi rpg

can't wait to see what's next from bioware

until then I am greatly looking forward to that South Park rpg

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    aaaa

first banshee

aaaaaa

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    ending!
    Langly wrote: »
    no, it really doesn't have to end like that. There aren't rules, there are other ways to have an impact. Thousands of soldiers make sacrifices and come back home and have to live and find a life in peace. That happens. There isn't some rule book that says welp this theme plus this theme equals character sacrifice, sorry there is no ther way.

People make that lep all the time and it isn't based in anything at all.
    This is about narrative impact and buildup. It would be different if this were ME1, where yeah, it wouldn't make sense for Shepard to die. But the entire leadup to the ending has harped on the theme of sacrifice. Even after being (mortally?) wounded, Shepard still drags herself to her feet to finish the job no matter the cost.

Surviving just cheapens it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9NO4GQJRk

is my retort. It would have that same feeling that ME1 had when you thought Shepard was dead, just more so because you haven't any thoughts that she would get out of that. Rule of Cool is just as cliche as Sacrifice Equals Death. I feel fine with either outcome, but you're not playing Devil's Advocate with your own argument.
    Skullo wrote: »
    More Ending (apparently can't let this go).

I guess I'm in the camp that feels like everything they've done has zero impact on the future. And that's pretty upsetting. I spent 3 games uniting a galaxy against a threat that's actually not the real threat and then they can't take advantage of that.

Can't see why it couldn't have been:

Low assets/no assets: Everyone dies, cycle repeats.
    Minimum assets: You drive off the reapers but everything is fucked?
    High assets: You drive off the reapers, Shep dies in the process.
    Highest: Same, but shep lives?

You could keep everything the way it is, substituting the stupid god-kid's choice with Shep activating the weapon in her final moments.
    I keep saying this but the trilogy is Shep's story, not the galaxy's

What happens to the galaxy is a thing for later games, once Bioware hashes out a distant future for it

Shep's story, and our knowledge of the galaxy, ends when Shep dies. The end. Lights go out.

Also there's no reason for Shep to live other than the player's need for a feel-good ending, everyone goes into that mission knowing there's a damn good chance they're dying
    I contest that the galaxy is Shep's story. Everything you did, unless you were completely Terra Firma Dickshep, was Shep making the galaxy a better place, or at least making an impression upon it. By effectively killing 2/3rd's of the galaxy by destroying the Mass Relays, I feel that it cheapens all that Shep has done in all three games.

I contest that he even did that thing and also the first point
    Shep's story is fighting the reapers and the decisions that play into that

Not some altruistic desire to help the galaxy

He's doing his job, that's all
    And in so doing of his job, especially as the idea of being a Spectre, his story is played out by the results of his actions, not just his actions. If the result of his action to stop the Reapers is to cut off the galaxy is to cheapen every other thing that he had worked toward, it sits wrong in my wheelhouse. All life, as we know it, is built around the idea of connection, and what that connection does after death. If Shep's story as we have played it is his life, then one great decision invalidates a ginormous portion of it.

On the other hand
    If the story is his life then his life ends and so does the story and again none of it matters in the context of his life because he isn't around for it

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Who wants to shoot mans, robots and robotmans?

• Options

Geth are rare

Reapers don't exist

I think you have your quickmatch set to "turian councilor"

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    All the endgame spoilers are driving me mad. I really want to know why people are going crazy over it but I don't want to know anything that happens. It's torture.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Geth are rare

Reapers don't exist

Ah yes, "Reapers".

Be glad you don't fight them. General consensus is that they are bullshit and the worst.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

Let's do this.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    In fact, I think I'm gonna go ahead and say this is my favorite game to be released since....Mass Effect 2.

yeah
    despite its flaws
    one of the best video games I've ever played, period

I mean it has its flaws
    but the good stuff is so good

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Geth are rare

Reapers don't exist

Ah yes, "Reapers".

Be glad you don't fight them. General consensus is that they are bullshit and the worst.

are you kidding

they're fun and cool

• Options
    Plus, writing a satisfying end to a trilogy is really fucking difficult

If nothing else, I sympathize with the task.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Let's do this.

You on the 360?

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    How do I get the Hahne-Kedar gauntlets?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    This is going in circles and that post is massive and just ugh

but ending
    I'm still totally fine with not getting closure on everything

Because A)Shep's story is over

and B) I didn't wanna get all LotR on it and have eighty fucking endings per game showing each permutation

Less is more, especially here

What happens next? Well shit I guess we'll find out in Mass Effect 4: Miranda's Ass Effect

• Options
    just be glad there are no ewoks

OR ARE THERE

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

the Turian C-Sec officer always checking up on that teenage girl who's waiting for her parents gets me every time
    Christ, yes.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I prefer Cerberus to both Reapers and Geth.

Banshee and/or Brute waves are fucking awful, and Pyros/Rocket Troopers are even worse.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

Let's do this.

You on the 360?

Nah, PC master race.

So, I guess, we won't do thsi.

This discussion has been closed.