As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    I have seen a total of 4 hackers in my 200+ hours of BF3. Way to go with the hyperbole.

Play on better servers with better admins.

Good gravy some of you really want this to be better than it is. You can't even respond with "sorry you had a bad time but you were probably unlucky since most of us don't see many hackers"?

I'm sorry that his game experience is something you want to consider fictionalized just so you can continue believing there's nothing wrong, but I was playing with Tyrannus and we ran into plenty on all kinds of servers.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wooo you link 3!!!!! players.

Game is full of hackers!

Play on servers with admins.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    so instead of encouraging a solution to a problem, you quickly dismiss it as if it's not an issue and then you attempt to put make-up onto a plague boil

cool

tyrannus on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    As unlikable as they are, you just have to accept the fact that the only things you can do is
    keep playing,
    leave the server,
    report them,
    shame them for their tiny wiener,
    kill yourself in protest

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hackers in PC games. More at 11.

And...What exactly was your solution to the problem?

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ultra-defensive PC gamers remain dismissive of pertinent issues to follow story about hackers in PC games

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    My solution to the hacker problem is to shoot everyone in the mouth. Eventually, we'll find those hackers.

• Options
    let Punkbuster sort them out

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    ultra-defensive PC gamers remain dismissive of pertinent issues to follow story about hackers in PC games

Seriously dude...I don't play BF3 on PC but I have been with the series since it's inception...Getting pissy with DICE because of PC hackers is ridiculous. Every single popular PC game has issues with this. Accept it or come up with a solution.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    drop Origin and go back to steam and use VAC instead of punkbuster

okay cool there's my solution

but no I really wish I had got it on xbox or PS3 because playing it on the PC, especially on 64 players, is exhausting. like, I remember in BC2 I could go on 6-7 hour rampages but BF3 has me burning out so much quicker.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular

but no I really wish I had got it on xbox or PS3 because playing it on the PC, especially on 64 players, is exhausting. like, I remember in BC2 I could go on 6-7 hour rampages but BF3 has me burning out so much quicker.

Is VAC any better than punkbuster? It doesn't have the random and infuriating kicks for the most arcane reasons that punkbuster does, but the only experience I've had of VAC is MW2, where I saw more hackers every day than I have ever seen in BF3. Not a fair comparison, obviously, since MW2 didn't have dedicated servers.

• Options

Get it on 360. I will play with you. (I love my 360 dudebros)

• Options
    Auberon wrote: »

Is VAC any better than punkbuster? It doesn't have the random and infuriating kicks for the most arcane reasons that punkbuster does, but the only experience I've had of VAC is MW2, where I saw more hackers every day than I have ever seen in BF3. Not a fair comparison, obviously, since MW2 didn't have dedicated servers.

I've heard a combination of both works well, but VAC has the advantage of being able to tie your ban to a game engine, so it can ban a cheater from using that engine. It's known for delayed bans, while Punkbusters are usually instant bans. Apparently this is done to make hackers think they've developed software that's "VAC proof" only to discover a month later that that was not the case. It also doesn't need to be updated and doesn't cause nearly as many issues, and it's not running all the time unlike Punkbuster

the best prevention and detection modes seem to be VAC + Punkbuster, while actually dealing with hackers that slip through is best done by a reporting interface, good logs, and attentive server admins and votekick options.

it's been my understanding so far that when you hack in BF3, sometimes you just get your stats reset.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Well, we've come full circle on the whole "lol origin suxx steam4lief" argument.

In any case, here's a new Battlefield Friends episode starring everyone's favorite weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rFGMatKLM

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Auberon wrote: »

Yeah VAC is not the answer, MW2 and Black Ops both used it and I saw more hackers those than in any other game I have ever played.

Hackers are always going to beat/work around your anti-cheat software. The best defence these days is active admins.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    wow let's tone down the hyperbole there

tyrannus on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Yeah I guess hackers are annoying?

Play on servers where admins are active or there's a voteban script.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    the origin suxxx argument is a recurring argument because of its legitimacy

but please, let a company with 4 years worth of recurring losses and a poor reputation have the benefit of the doubt here

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
  • Options

but please, let a company with 4 years worth of recurring losses and a poor reputation have the benefit of the doubt here

It's not really an argument. It's been beaten into the ground a million fucking times and nobody really gives a shit anymore.

Either play BF3 and don't complain about how "bad" Origin/EA are, or don't play BF3 and just shut the fuck up.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    no

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    People literally pay for the best cheat mods, origin or steam, if you've got hackers getting paid to make cheats, there will always be cheaters and hackers capable of getting round the latest counter-measures. Just play in better servers, thats the only solution. Sure, lets say on steam BF3 would have no or less cheaters, thats obviously not going to happen, its not going onto steam, not any time soon, so going on and on about it is pointless. I mean go ahead, but you're wasting your breath.

Prohass on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I have had no bad experiences with origin.

Maybe you guys are bad at computers.

Or, did anyone use steam when it was first launched?

• Options
    It's funny that Origin and EA are to fault for people hacking a PC game. It's never going to stop unless you turn every PC into a console.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The moment I found out how big the market is for people who PAY CASH MONEY for hacks for video games is the moment I truly gave up on mankind

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular

It's not really an argument. It's been beaten into the ground a million fucking times and nobody really gives a shit anymore.

Either play BF3 and don't complain about how "bad" Origin/EA are, or don't play BF3 and just shut the fuck up.

Seriously. If you guys are not having fun with the service itself or rage when you play because of a change you dislike or a hacker or whatever - just stop playing. Go do something else for a while, but coming into this thread every time something bad happens does not solve anything. It just devolves into a circle jerk of hatred.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular

There was hackers in every Battlefield game since 1942, this is no different. There are hackers in steam games and even in MMOs. As long as there are online games there will be people who cheat, there is no single way to stop them.

If you are having issue with EA Origin, then I am sorry. Yeah it sucks to have to use another program to launch the game, but I think for most of us it sits windowed in the background while we log in and poopsock our way to victory.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Can we get of the hackers and whatnot topic and return to the topic of Battlefield 3's Suppression Effect make '4v4 & 8v8 only, half the weapons banned, no vehicles, everyone Assault' "Pro" gamers cry tears of delicious bitch. Cause it's both sad and funny as fuck.

Also, this guy should get more views. For the Battle Notes alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdzjPc0cmw&feature=g-u-u&context=G2b39263FUAAAAAAAKAA

Not sure about the dub-step dogfighting. I loves me a dogfight though...

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    I like the new suppression effect, it makes suppressing an area actually, you know, work...

Plus the suppression ribbons are just flying in now.

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    Past two nights have been really subpar and less fun for me. It's seemed much harder to do well. I hope it's not the effects of the patch itself because I like all the changes on paper. I think I'll take it easy this weekend and see if a breather lets me get my groove back.

QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    My first couple of matches back took me a bit to get used to how the different guns/attachments affected my play style. After a while it clicked and I started getting similar scores to pre-patch.

Also was in a tank with a guy who went 32-1 on wake island, seemed to be far from a metal coffin.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I've yet have hackers ruin an entire game where I actually cared. I've certainly seen plenty of them, but there's a ton of servers to play on out there if I'm concerned with winning a given game. I've yet to see a hacker ruin a game on a decently adminned server, either.

That's not to say that Origin is great or Dice does a great job with keeping everything running smoothly, but for every hacker I've seen actually able to play loan entire match, I've seen dozens more banned almost instantly upon entering a server.

• Options
    I love the new suppression mechanic. I really hated before where I could reliably kill multiple people if they couldn't shoot very well. Now they just shoot in my general direction and my bullets go all over the screen!

I love rewarding failure and further increasing the benefits of shooting first, even if your aim is off. Client-side hit detection without serverside checks apparently wasn't enough!

Whereas before I could play a mid to front-line sniper and reliably headshot people, now I just have to sit further back and be less of a benefit to my squad. Otherwise I get suppressed in the heat of battle and my bullets no longer go where I point. I'm sure people I play with won't mind my change in tactics.

• Options
    Past two nights have been really subpar and less fun for me. It's seemed much harder to do well. I hope it's not the effects of the patch itself because I like all the changes on paper. I think I'll take it easy this weekend and see if a breather lets me get my groove back.

i am sure when I'm playing you will do better because you will just kill me over and over again

• Options
    I love the new suppression mechanic. I really hated before where I could reliably kill multiple people if they couldn't shoot very well. Now they just shoot in my general direction and my bullets go all over the screen!

I love rewarding failure and further increasing the benefits of shooting first, even if your aim is off. Client-side hit detection without serverside checks apparently wasn't enough!

Whereas before I could play a mid to front-line sniper and reliably headshot people, now I just have to sit further back and be less of a benefit to my squad. Otherwise I get suppressed in the heat of battle and my bullets no longer go where I point. I'm sure people I play with won't mind my change in tactics.

You should tell that to this guy. He didn't get the memo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_SucE16Ug

• Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    yeah winnie, I'm a fan of increased suppression as well, along with any semblence of a foregrip and silencer nerf.
    Suppression brings a much appreciated extra layer of depth to the shooter formula placing more emphasis on deliberate play as opposed to raw aiming skill and exploiting weapons.

rRootagea on
  • Options

You should tell that to this guy. He didn't get the memo.
    snip

No, he got it.

"Don't shoot at people if they are shooting at you; just hide"

Sounds pretty useful. I mean besides the fact that he is bad at aiming and uses the m98b as an assault recon (which is laughable in case you don't get that), he admits to the horrible downsides. My definition of "aggressive recon" doesn't include hiding until people aren't shooting at you.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That sniping video mentions that firing while moving is more penalized now. How severe is that penalty? Because something that does genuinely annoy me is people sprinting around and being able to fire on the move with no appreciable difference from my aim while sitting still. I'd rather like if the gun play was more deliberate now and didn't involve everybody going from sprint to excellent aim almost instantly.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The suppression mechanic, the more I play, is super annoying. Especially while sniping and bipod lmg.

Fuck rewarding players that can aim. Now all we need is laser targeting bullets.

wakkawa on