As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Clearly Battlefield penalizes the people who can aim.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    No but it rewards spray and pray.

• Options
    Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    You mean it turns any shootout that isn't over instantly into spray and pray because everyone is suppressed.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Depends on the weapon, and mostly at close range only

Though I probably see things differently from you guys since I think the satisfaction from scoring a kill is less than the frustration from dying.
    Consequently, shooters with lower variance in KDR makes for a better game for all players as
    concentrating all the kills towards the top results in lower casual player retention rate.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was playing SUPER AGENT MAN with my newly unlocked .44 revolver.

I was right in the middle of a firefight, at some houses at E on Caspian. I could see all the enemies on the map and just ran around flanking everyone, even knifing a guy from the front.

That revolver. Dat. Revolver.

It's so fucking good!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Flanking? What is this flanking? This is Battlefield, there's no room for flanking!

• Options
    Flanking? What is this flanking? This is Battlefield, there's no room for flanking!

Umm, have you played the BF3 maps? Rush?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    I approached from the side see, like some ghost with a revolver! Scurred they socks clean off wub wub!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Nooo, I was just having an amazing hardcore match and then they started the maintenance. Damn.
    First time playing after the big patch and I loved it, using the stinger never felt this good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    No, in my 135 hours of playing Battlefield 3, the thought of flanking has never crossed my mind. Nor the thought of using to smoke cover my advance. I always try to run everywhere, "hard charging" if you will, with no thought to how I could better assess a situation to give myself and/or my squad a greater advantage. Because the best way to fix the problem of everyone shooting or suppressing me, is to fire back at them full auto.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    Suppressing is a real thing in this game that (recently) makes your weapons inaccurate.

You don't need quotation marks for it hth

• Options
    Fixed sire.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    There are more maps that have little or no opportunity to flank than you think. Siene, bazaar, metro, damavand, all of rush.

Also I'll let you know when every classs gets access to smokes.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    I was about to post some map images with some sweet MSpaint routes to show you how you're mostly wrong but... meh.

And don't you communicate with your squad? Vent, skype, mumble... loud yelling? I hear this game is big on the team aspect and combined arms.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was about to post some map images with some sweet MSpaint routes to show you how you're mostly wrong but... meh.

And don't you communicate with your squad? Vent, skype, mumble... loud yelling? I hear this game is big on the team aspect and combined arms.

Wakkawa doesn't use Mumble or Vent, in fact he tends to bitch about the people who do.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ITT: Wakkawa, Winnie and Tyrannus have never heard of fragmentation grenades or using the cover perk. I won so many shitty firefights last night by backing behind crates and heaving grenades at people. Then you shoot at them while the nade is incoming, so they can't fucking see the thing land and it won't matter if you don't hit them, cos they have 0.5 seconds before they are a grisly paste on the wall.

Warcry on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    These days I don't even care if I get run over by a jeeHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONK

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    I had to reformat, what is the mumble server?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Winnie the Pooh bear. Dat SKS, am I right?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    The moment I found out how big the market is for people who PAY CASH MONEY for hacks for video games is the moment I truly gave up on mankind

I can't get my head round it.

Pay money for PC capable of playing shiny game

Pay money for game

Pay money for hack that simply allows you to kill everyone in one shot with any weapon from anywhere on the map before you inevitably get kicked from server.

Where is the fun?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    The moment I found out how big the market is for people who PAY CASH MONEY for hacks for video games is the moment I truly gave up on mankind

I can't get my head round it.

Pay money for PC capable of playing shiny game

Pay money for game

Pay money for hack that simply allows you to kill everyone in one shot with any weapon from anywhere on the map before you inevitably get kicked from server.

Where is the fun?

Ok wrap your mind around this. APB is free to play. There are pay hacks for it.

You are paying to hack a free thing.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I don't know much about that game or the hacks, but the aim of BF3 is to kill the mans. If you let the computer do that for you then what is the point? For the 'lolz'? Who pays for the lolz?

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    I love the new suppression mechanic. I really hated before where I could reliably kill multiple people if they couldn't shoot very well. Now they just shoot in my general direction and my bullets go all over the screen!

I love rewarding failure and further increasing the benefits of shooting first, even if your aim is off. Client-side hit detection without serverside checks apparently wasn't enough!

Whereas before I could play a mid to front-line sniper and reliably headshot people, now I just have to sit further back and be less of a benefit to my squad. Otherwise I get suppressed in the heat of battle and my bullets no longer go where I point. I'm sure people I play with won't mind my change in tactics.

You should tell that to this guy. He didn't get the memo.
    snip

No, he got it.

"Don't shoot at people if they are shooting at you; just hide"

Sounds pretty useful. I mean besides the fact that he is bad at aiming and uses the m98b as an assault recon (which is laughable in case you don't get that), he admits to the horrible downsides. My definition of "aggressive recon" doesn't include hiding until people aren't shooting at you.

Agreed... He ahh, didn't look very 'aggressive' at all... i only watched upto four minutes but seriously, he sat at range until everyone was dead and he team had moved forward then he moved up with them... i mean it was on smaller maps were you by map design have to be 'closer' but i don't consider that being an 'aggressive' recon.

I should really play this again but deus ex is taking up my time...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    New battlefield friends vid up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rFGMatKLM

GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    I don't know much about that game or the hacks, but the aim of BF3 is to kill the mans. If you let the computer do that for you then what is the point? For the 'lolz'? Who pays for the lolz?

I think it's for the trollz...And people with tiny microscopic wieners.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think this patch was a pretty big step backwards. They seem to have patched out my play style. It's hard to put into words, but suppression has a lot to do with it. It feels like I just can't hit people the same way I have been since launch. I really hope they fix this shit soon. It's making the game far less fun to play.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I enjoy how I don't even notice a change in the suppression.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Won't people just adjust to these new changes? Patch has yet to hit on the 360 so I have no first hand knowledge of how they affect the game.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Heroth wrote: »
    I love the new suppression mechanic. I really hated before where I could reliably kill multiple people if they couldn't shoot very well. Now they just shoot in my general direction and my bullets go all over the screen!

I love rewarding failure and further increasing the benefits of shooting first, even if your aim is off. Client-side hit detection without serverside checks apparently wasn't enough!

Whereas before I could play a mid to front-line sniper and reliably headshot people, now I just have to sit further back and be less of a benefit to my squad. Otherwise I get suppressed in the heat of battle and my bullets no longer go where I point. I'm sure people I play with won't mind my change in tactics.

You should tell that to this guy. He didn't get the memo.
    snip

No, he got it.

"Don't shoot at people if they are shooting at you; just hide"

Sounds pretty useful. I mean besides the fact that he is bad at aiming and uses the m98b as an assault recon (which is laughable in case you don't get that), he admits to the horrible downsides. My definition of "aggressive recon" doesn't include hiding until people aren't shooting at you.

Agreed... He ahh, didn't look very 'aggressive' at all... i only watched upto four minutes but seriously, he sat at range until everyone was dead and he team had moved forward then he moved up with them... i mean it was on smaller maps were you by map design have to be 'closer' but i don't consider that being an 'aggressive' recon.

I should really play this again but deus ex is taking up my time...

Oh... you want to One Man Army Montage your way to victory.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think this patch was a pretty big step backwards. They seem to have patched out my play style. It's hard to put into words, but suppression has a lot to do with it. It feels like I just can't hit people the same way I have been since launch. I really hope they fix this shit soon. It's making the game far less fun to play.

Tell us on the doll where the patch touched you.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Seriously, no one wants to one man army the damn game. Firefights should not be "Oh, someone is shooting in my general direction time to do nothing for 10 seconds.

The cover perk does nothing. Only get one chance to shoot someone in the head and those 30ms it takes to line up that shot the other person is already spraying fucking up the one shot you get. I grew up on twitch shooters, its how I roll. Just changing the flow of the game after 200+ hours of playing is kinda lame.

It's great that it makes your playstyle better, but not everyone plays like that. Hell, the recon rifles already have a giant "PLEASE SHOOT ME" target on them.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Someone is shooting in your general area... maybe you shouldn't be in that general area because they know you're there. Instead of "doing nothing for 10 seconds" and then going back to try to get a shot off while that someone is still shooting your general area.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    so your solution to being shot at is to stop being shot at

so I guess if I just sit in spawn all game I will be able to have fun

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Okay with the new suppression buff the best way to play is with straight shooting automatic guns, I suggest the M16 for the assault and the other M variant for the engineer, pretty much means you win a lot of the time.

Troubling facts discovered yesterday!
    A full 14 rockets sends tanks into the low 10s from both jets and helicopters.
    A jet can destroy a tank in one pass with all rockets hitting and 2 seconds of machine gun, even from full health.
    This also applies to the mobile AA, so it's useless against good jets.
    A REPAIR TORCH NOW TAKES OUT TANKS IN UNDER 10 SECONDS FROM FULL HEALTH
    This is faster than using C4.
    You can now force people to hop out of their tank by repair torching it and then stealing it, or they will die.
    Three tanks assaulting a point are vaporized by two engineers alone.
    Tanks actually do pretty well until pubbies realize you are in a death machine only for yourself and act accordingly.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    tanks are now basically armored taxis

except they're not even that great because no horn

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Okay with the new suppression buff the best way to play is with straight shooting automatic guns, I suggest the M16 for the assaultand the other M variant for the engineer, pretty much means you win a lot of the time.

Troubling facts discovered yesterday!
    A full 14 rockets sends tanks into the low 10s from both jets and helicopters.
    A jet can destroy a tank in one pass with all rockets hitting and 2 seconds of machine gun, even from full health.
    This also applies to the mobile AA, so it's useless against good jets.
    A REPAIR TORCH NOW TAKES OUT TANKS IN UNDER 10 SECONDS FROM FULL HEALTH
    This is faster than using C4.
    You can now force people to hop out of their tank by repair torching it and then stealing it, or they will die.

I love the repair torch now, it's even better than rockets for engineers trying to take out vehicles. Which is silly, but oh well.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    tyrannus wrote: »
    so your solution to being shot at is to stop being shot at

so I guess if I just sit in spawn all game I will be able to have fun

No, what I mean is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOpUdsMeqM

If someone is shooting at a spot you happen to be standing at, or around, get the fuck out of the way and let them shoot that fucking spot.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Personally I'd make it so 1.5/2 or so seconds of fire is needed to set of the new suppression.

And nerf attack heli's a leeeeetle bit against tanks.

Otherwise great patch!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Can't really say too much about the patch yet, but yeah, suppression is overdone. Getting suppressed because of a couple bullets going by 15 feet away is a little ridiculous. Any given time there is shooting, everything just ends up a blur. Which is not great, considering that everybody is shooting all the time.

However, I definitely like the effectiveness of severe suppression. Enormously encourages the teamwork angle since you can now largely neutralize somebody in a given spot until somebody else takes them out. People hanging out in a tough-to-counter spot can now be suppressed rather than them just shooting people until somebody gets lucky. But this instant suppression thing definitely needs to go; it should absolutely involve at least some sort of sustained fire before it even starts to work, at least for lighter weapons.

Also still seeing people sprinting and jumping around like dickweeds with no real penalty to their aim. Not really surprised, but I wish there was some sort of change to that. I don't want them to change things so that everybody has to be sitting still to hit anything at all, but I'm already tired of being set up with a bipod and somebody jumps around a corner and immediately has great aim despite all common sense to the contrary. Oh well.

On the upside, bipods are an actual thing now. The setup/breakdown time is such that bipods won't let you win a quick fight, but neither are you just completely and utterly hosed by anyone outside of your field of fire because you can move out of a fixed position pretty quick. How much has their field of fire been upgraded, anyway? Because it seems like a lot, which is good.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    How about instead of being a ""pro" battlefield player" you adapt your play style accordingly.

Suppression helps whomever gets the jump to have a better chance in the encounter.

If you have lost the jump, your first priority should be to break off, not rely on your superior reaction skills.

rRootagea on