As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This thread...Cool to see it's a fucking whinefest for a chosen few.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    That's what internet forums are for apparently

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I'm determined to do "Drop'em Like Liquid" with a random pub. It usually ends at the flashbang part when the other player doesn't understand what to do, starts shooting and we lose.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think the problem is that you basically have to relearn the game. It kind of sucks, but personally I think its coming back faster than I expected. However, my first couple of games sucked though, I think I went like 4-21 or something ridiculous. I know at one point I was seriously 1-16.

emp123 on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    One of the changes I would like to see is vehicles. namely tanks, have a delay on turret movement. Like if you look in a certain direction it will take a sec for the turret to line up there. The 180 spins on target are one of the ridiculous and cheapest things Bad Company 2 and BF3 on PC do with tanks. 360 version of BC2 had the tanks a lot more lumbering.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yes, the best thing to do in the now-neutered tanks is to make them less responsive.

The game plays much differently than it used to. Gone are the days of coming upon someone while in the open and still standing a chance. If you're not in cover, you're dead. If you're not thinking, you're dead. If you try and pull the same "BUMRUSHTHEIRSHIT" tactics that I love, you're going to be met with substantially less success than previously.

Does it make a worse game? For some people, the answer might be yes. But honestly, it's just so different from pre-patch that it's almost akin to BF3.5 than any standard update.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    RPK's extended mag

10xriub.png

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    rRootagea wrote: »
    How about instead of being a ""pro" battlefield player" you adapt your play style accordingly.

Suppression helps whomever gets the jump to have a better chance in the encounter.

If you have lost the jump, your first priority should be to break off, not rely on your superior reaction skills.

I don't care at all about trying to be a "pro" player because I'm definitely not one. I don't like instant suppression for everything because it just sticks you with way, way too much screen blur. And even then, I don't think a universal delay on suppression is the way to go, just a delay on weapons that aren't especially powerful.

I'm A-OK with close shotgun hits, a couple shots from an LMG, or shots from a heavier sniper rifle suppressing somebody right away. Half the point of an LMG is suppression fire and I love the fact that now they can work really, really well in that role; I don't think I've ever played any other game where the suppression aspect actually seemed to do something and I definitely like it. Longer-range fights can be about more than just who has the most laser-perfect aim because they can't just ignore the spray of bullets coming their way while they line up a shot. It also makes people with suppression-friendly weapons a BIG target since people want them down first, especially if they're pouring out bullets.

But in the practical sense, it's pretty annoying to have somebody snap off a couple misses with virtually anything and your screen immediately blurs even if they were merely close to hitting you. It's not unreasonable at all to require many guns to have some sort of volume of fire requirement before they start screwing with a target, especially if they fire a weaker, less-threatening round, even if for no other reason than to allow people to spend a lot less time with a blurry screen.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes, the best thing to do in the now-neutered tanks is to make them less responsive.

The game plays much differently than it used to. Gone are the days of coming upon someone while in the open and still standing a chance. If you're not in cover, you're dead. If you're not thinking, you're dead. If you try and pull the same "BUMRUSHTHEIRSHIT" tactics that I love, you're going to be met with substantially less success than previously.

Does it make a worse game? For some people, the answer might be yes. But honestly, it's just so different from pre-patch that it's almost akin to BF3.5 than any standard update.

So basically the game is a hell of a lot more tactical now. This is the best thing they have done so far to differentiate it from CoD. No more one man army run-and-gun shitfests. This is not Quake anymore, no sir. Use your damn cover and plan your routes smartly.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about. The game doesn't seem any different to me at all.
    I don't really understand all this.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Check the date Klyka

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    They fixed my crosshair randomly disappearing. That was a game breaker for me - now I can play again!

seriously so happy they fixed that, I don't even care what else they changONKONKHONKOHONKHONK

:winky:
  • Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swYRwDU2gPc

I enjoyed this. Good for anyone that has not read the patch notes yet.

Angry Weasel on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Warcry wrote: »

So basically the game is a hell of a lot more tactical now. This is the best thing they have done so far to differentiate it from CoD. No more one man army run-and-gun shitfests. This is not Quake anymore, no sir. Use your damn cover and plan your routes smartly.

See this would be fan-fucking-tastic if the majority of the maps weren't chokepoints.

Anything that favors randomness over skill is just dumb. (derp herp I know how to flank enemies, sooooo yeah)

wakkawa on
  • Options
    After playing a few more rounds today, I can't help but feel that support is a little OP right now. The increased accuracy of all the LMGs coupled with the improvements to suppression and ammo drops is a brutal combo. For the first time ever I saw more support than recon in pubs, except those people were still sniping, and they were still able to because the LMGs got so much more accurate. I don't mind the suppression change, and the ammo change was needed, but I'd like to see LMG damage or accuracy scaled back a bit.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsbTjPe2fs

yes this is the battlefield that I remember

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Is that pre-patch or post-patch
    Since that was also what meatro was like back then
    but without the sarcasm set to super asshole

rRootagea on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Throwing up a Meatro vid? To prove anything whatsoever?

I don't even know what it's trying to prove, but it's nothing related to actually enjoying BF3. Maybe that Meatro is a terrible level for anything? Because it does that pretty well.

But not for trying to prove a point. It's about the worst thing you could pull up for that.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I also feel tanks are now much less useful.

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I'm determined to do "Drop'em Like Liquid" with a random pub. It usually ends at the flashbang part when the other player doesn't understand what to do, starts shooting and we lose.

It can be done! It helped a lot when I spotted the targets in one, only one, bus after setting up with the bipod in the corresponding window.

QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Heroth wrote: »
    I love the new suppression mechanic. I really hated before where I could reliably kill multiple people if they couldn't shoot very well. Now they just shoot in my general direction and my bullets go all over the screen!

I love rewarding failure and further increasing the benefits of shooting first, even if your aim is off. Client-side hit detection without serverside checks apparently wasn't enough!

Whereas before I could play a mid to front-line sniper and reliably headshot people, now I just have to sit further back and be less of a benefit to my squad. Otherwise I get suppressed in the heat of battle and my bullets no longer go where I point. I'm sure people I play with won't mind my change in tactics.

You should tell that to this guy. He didn't get the memo.
    snip

No, he got it.

"Don't shoot at people if they are shooting at you; just hide"

Sounds pretty useful. I mean besides the fact that he is bad at aiming and uses the m98b as an assault recon (which is laughable in case you don't get that), he admits to the horrible downsides. My definition of "aggressive recon" doesn't include hiding until people aren't shooting at you.

Agreed... He ahh, didn't look very 'aggressive' at all... i only watched upto four minutes but seriously, he sat at range until everyone was dead and he team had moved forward then he moved up with them... i mean it was on smaller maps were you by map design have to be 'closer' but i don't consider that being an 'aggressive' recon.

I should really play this again but deus ex is taking up my time...

Oh... you want to One Man Army Montage your way to victory.

Did... did you even *read* what i wrote or? i haven't even played since the new patch, all i was saying was i found him calling what he was doing 'aggressive reconing' to be erroneous since he wasn't, in my opinion, playing 'aggressively' at all.

I consider 'Aggressive reconing' to be playing basically *right* next to your team mates, using a MAV to quickly scout forward/stop flankers and to act as a spawn point for your squad...

What he was doing was... sniping. Sitting in one spot shooting until he could see no one else to shoot (because he teammates had long pushed up) and then he moved up to the next position to sit in.

But each to there own. (i wasn't commenting on the new suppression, since i haven't played at all yet to see what its about, purely the video being labeled 'aggressive recon after patch').

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Well 64-player Conquest Seine Crossing is pretty horrible too, I must spend about 80% of the match in suppresso-vision now, and those bridges are no-go areas, which would be fine if they weren't essentially the only ways across the map (swimming works but only so long as the enemy doens't realise whats going on). First to the bridge wins now.

Reverse or rebalance the suppression change and this is the best patch ever. Don't; and it's still a damn fine patch.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Dat thread.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Suppression is stupid because in what reality does people shooting back at you make your gun fire somewhere other than were you are pointing it? Just make moving your gun to aim hard as shit so that the random directions the rounds are firing makes sense. If I'm still able to point my gun directly towards your face my bullet should still fucking hit you in the face. It shouldn't hit the ceiling because my gun wasn't fucking pointing towards the ceiling.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I got to the middle of the scoreboard by just basically firing down the alleyway. it was pretty tactical.

• Options
    Can't wait for the close quarters combat dlc. Going to be so blurry and so much spraying.

Or the vehicle combat dlc where tanks get explode whenever they just look at each other.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I feel like I can deal with the change to the weapons if they would just roll back the suppression.

• Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    This patch broke my game. I went from 15-35 ping on every server to 115-250 ping on every server, even my favorite server that I would play on everyday. What would cause me to run at a much higher ping when NOTHING has changed and I have nothing running in the background that could make me have that sort of ping. Balls =/

lagbagg.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    That suppression video cracked me the hell up.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Can't wait for the close quarters combat dlc. Going to be so blurry and so much spraying.

Or the vehicle combat dlc where tanks get explode whenever they just look at each other.

And the fifth DLC pack is gonna be Mirror's Edge 2.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I like ddgamer's April Fools.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    tyrannus wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsbTjPe2fs

I've gotten 11 kills with 5 frag shells from my 870 in meatro once

You've always been able to annihilate with any weapon, let alone machineguns
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I also feel tanks are now much less useful.

What did they change with tanks? I think I had a 30+ kill streak last time I got in one (and im not as good as you chaps), was I just against terribads?

override367 on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Operation Metro pre-patch. No suppression effect other than the visual that does nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjc08U7Sn4Q

Yeah, it is when you play on Metro. A shitty poorly made map will always be a shitty poorly made map no matter what.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Was playing rush tonight on 360. Think Bucketelite was in my squad. At the start of the map a guy jumped in the LAV and I hopped into the gunner seat. Proceed to go through the entire enemy team several times over as me and my driver literally drive over the other team in a storm of grenade launcher and 7.72 LMG sprays. Had a 31 / 0 run. My first and probably only bad ass moment in Battlefield 3 but I'll take it :D

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't tell the difference from pre to post patch. All I know is that MAVs cant be elevators anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »

I haven't hung out on the dome in months/played BF3 at all in that time, but I find it hard to imagine "tactics" being more interesting to your average player than being able to get shit done on your own. honestly, I'm not trying to threadshit on a game I don't play anymore but I just don't see the value of further decreasing the gap between players individual ability to drop targets via some awkward, artificial bullet spread debuff that supports less movement. what you're calling tactics, I'm reading as just more reasoning for people to camp out at all the predictable chokes on each map and slow the game to a crawl.

I probably wouldn't have posted at all, but I read shiashi's post at the top of the page and my heart just sank. the absolute last thing BF3 needed was to be slower and more discouraging to players who want to run and gun/generally walk all over less effective opponents without being shredded by the spot mechanic, derps in vehicles or the huge maps with endless flank opportunities.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You wanted the game to be more like Call of Duty, got it.

Edit: Not to be a dick but that's how I read that.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    You wanted the game to be more like Call of Duty, got it.

Edit: Not to be a dick but that's how I read that.

Seriously this is not what anyone is saying at all.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't think wanting more solo functionality is too far-fetched, no. I wouldn't even say said functionality was that bad when I was playing so much as I just lost interest, but there's just no possible way I would return after reading the patch notes and obviously the thought was on my mind when I entered the thread. it's a shame because I find BF3 to be a hundred times more immersive and interesting in terms of running and gunning in large, non-linear arenas - it's the exact opposite of CoD and attractive solely because of it - but it always occupied this knife edge where there stood a few aspects that just turned off solo players like me who are also deeply invested in personal performance, and the suppression change would tip the scales pretty heavily in the wrong way.

I can accept that the game as is isn't for me/players like me, but I just have to wonder what the overall reasoning for the change was (what exactly was wrong that this fixes?) and how many players within the overall playerbase would feel similarly slighted.

edit: this'll be my last post, I don't really want to occupy the thread with any more of this discussion than is absolutely necessary.

Torgairon on