As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad Men

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I've always found it useful to have an inflation calculator up while I watch the show, as there's really not a natural gut-punch when you hear about someone looking for $7,500.

However, in 1966(?), that carries the weight right around $50,000.

I didn't know the relative shit he was in, until they said the nicest Jaguar was only $6,500. That cleared it up

It also illuminates why ol Grandpa Gene was so upset over who stole his $35. I'd be ticked too if ~$240 went missing.

(And Roger gave Ginsberg the equivalent of $1500 to do the wine work under the table).

Jesus, Roger paid Peggy ~$3000 for her under-the-table work! And he gave Harry $7800 for his office!

Why does Roger carry so much money?!

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    He's wealthy and it's an age before lots of card based transactions. He did say last episode he needed to stop carrying so much cash, haha.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    I remember thinking Harry was just being Harry (a sucker) and that's why he switched offices.

But honestly, an immediate 8 grand? I'd probably be down for that.

!
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    What a way to go. Both for Joan and Peggy. Very dark.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    It felt like Peggy's move was in the cards. Joan's was way out of left field.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wish Peggy would have just blown up at Don for how he treats her, but I guess it wouldn't have mattered and if she stayed the same shit would just keep happening.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    I wish Peggy would have just blown up at Don for how he treats her, but I guess it wouldn't have mattered and if she stayed the same shit would just keep happening.

I think the closest we got was at the Cool Whip pitch.

• Options
    amybdenumamybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Peggy leaving felt like every time I've left an employer, it was really well done - that nostalgia and hope, sadness and happiness, growing gratitude and fading resentment, all at once.

Joan is just...wow. I don't even know how you do that. Soooo disappointed with Roger.

amybdenum on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Mad Men seems to have a habit of making the characters that leave SCDP either disappear and/or become miserable failures, so I'm really hoping that not only does Peggy stick around as a character but also that, overall, at least at first her new workplace winds up being a much better place for her.

• Options
    NuttycamNuttycam Registered User regular
    Man that episode made me hate everyone other Peggy and Joan. Don too although throwing the money in peggys face was bruuuutal.

• Options
    Also, I loved Lane's look at Pete after the others left Pete's office. Pete really is a "grimy little pimp."

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    The Pendulum of Pete has decidedly swung back towards "What the fuck is wrong with this unlikable douchebag" where earlier in the series I felt for him in some regard.

• Options
    Also the way this show gut punches us and the characters. Having Don rush to her place to tell her it's not worth it--which we find out was right after she got home from doing it. Uggh. And yet! They sill maintain continuity what with Don being the son of a whore.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I'm a couple episodes behind but Joan's reaction upon getting
    served for divorce
    was one of the funniest moments ive ever seen on TV. I was laughing for a good 10 minutes.

"SURPRISE! An AIRPLANE is here to see you!"

"You're not allowed to do that!"

616610-1.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Also, I loved Lane's look at Pete after the others left Pete's office. Pete really is a "grimy little pimp."

It's not to be forgotten that Lane acted just as selfishly as any of the other partners. Hard not to be disappointed with pretty much everybody in this one

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    In this thread: we learn that people suck.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options

It's not to be forgotten that Lane acted just as selfishly as any of the other partners. Hard not to be disappointed with pretty much everybody in this one

Didn't say/think he didn't.

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    If this was any other account, I don't see them letting Joan do what she did. But such a huge deal is made out of Jaguar and an ad company getting its first car account that they all know this would change SDCP for a long time. Lane is obviously much more worried about himself and his taxes but still understands what the partnership could do for Joan who is about to get divorced. Pete's never been shy about doing anything for the success for the company. Roger is a weird case because he initially opposes it but only if he has to pay for it. As much as Roger always professes his love for Joan, he clearly doesn't care that much as he barely argued last week when he wanted to support her child and Joan said no. I've never noticed Bert to have anything more than a business relationship with Joan so I can see him agreeing to the terms of the deal in order to bag Jaguar.

It made sense that Don was the only one who protested because of what his mother did when he was a child and because, I believe he truly, genuinely cares for Joan more than a co-worker/fling/piece of ass. At the same time, he's treated Peggy like a dog for years now. Sure he's mentored her to help develop her talent, but he's also pushed her aside more often than not. Both women, presumably, moved up the social ladder, just in two completely different ways.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Didn't say/think he didn't.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you or implying you didn't. I worded it vaguely, sorry. Just wanted to mention it. He plays it off to Joan like he's trying to help her out but he's more concerned with not taking the money out of his bonus.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    fortis wrote: »
    If this was any other account, I don't see them letting Joan do what she did. But such a huge deal is made out of Jaguar and an ad company getting its first car account that they all know this would change SDCP for a long time. Lane is obviously much more worried about himself and his taxes but still understands what the partnership could do for Joan who is about to get divorced. Pete's never been shy about doing anything for the success for the company. Roger is a weird case because he initially opposes it but only if he has to pay for it. As much as Roger always professes his love for Joan, he clearly doesn't care that much as he barely argued last week when he wanted to support her child and Joan said no. I've never noticed Bert to have anything more than a business relationship with Joan so I can see him agreeing to the terms of the deal in order to bag Jaguar.

It made sense that Don was the only one who protested because of what his mother did when he was a child and because, I believe he truly, genuinely cares for Joan more than a co-worker/fling/piece of ass. At the same time, he's treated Peggy like a dog for years now. Sure he's mentored her to help develop her talent, but he's also pushed her aside more often than not. Both women, presumably, moved up the social ladder, just in two completely different ways.

There's also that part of Don that genuinely cares about the work. Now he'll never know what exactly got them that account.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, Don totally nailed that, and it's totally ruined for both of them now.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    With Peggy, it makes sense. Don's consistently treating her terribly when times are good then pleading with her when times are bad has been building for multiple seasons. Given that Peggy's (at least in my opinion) one of the few characters that are both likable and interesting, I really hope she doesn't just fall off the face of the earth.

Also, Pete's at his most competent when he's an awful scumbag. I kinda like that he just runs with it now, rather than really beating himself up.

Poor Joan.

!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    to have such a fantastically cohesive episode as the culmination of peggy's character (to this point, not gonna assume she'll disappear),the jaguar thing, and as a huge development for Joan was really impressive.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    amybdenumamybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Also, Pete's at his most competent when he's an awful scumbag. I kinda like that he just runs with it now, rather than really beating himself up.
    I think of Pete as the amorality posterboy. Even when he was trying to be progressive in regards to selling to black people Admiral TVs, it was really entirely for business reasons. He has no social conviction that can't be bought, because he doesn't value social conviction.

We will probably find out that he's related to the Romneys at some point.

amybdenum on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    This show...sometimes it's spot on, sometimes it beats you over the head with the symbolism. What happened with Lane was just powerful stuff. But following it
    with the overly literal imagry of the youth generation driving and getting some mild course correction from the adults in their world. Ugh. So piss poor.

Mad King George on
  • Options
    God fucking damnnit
    They obviously decided to write Lane out of the show for this season, but the way they went about doing it has pissed me off since the subplot started. Lane's reasoning was it would have been humiliating to ask Don for the money? They were supposed to be friends if last season was any indication. The entire thing was so god damn contrived, from how Lane handled it to how the problem even arose in the first place. And of course Don finds out, and of course Lane kills himself over it. Don didn't even seem to care much, he was just surprised. What was the point of that entire episode where they become friends in Season 4?

And let's not forget all the time wasted on Matt Weiner's son who can't act to save his life. What a morbid, alienating episode.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Spoilers
    Well. I guess I should have predicted that it would be Lane after last week's episode. Really, it was already obvious to Lane that he had been effectively replaced by Joan, so her promotion to partner just made that fact official.

And really. That Jaguar his wife bought. That's just insulting.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    God fucking damnnit
    They obviously decided to write Lane out of the show for this season, but the way they went about doing it has pissed me off since the subplot started. Lane's reasoning was it would have been humiliating to ask Don for the money? They were supposed to be friends if last season was any indication. The entire thing was so god damn contrived, from how Lane handled it to how the problem even arose in the first place. And of course Don finds out, and of course Lane kills himself over it. Don didn't even seem to care much, he was just surprised. What was the point of that entire episode where they become friends in Season 4?

And let's not forget all the time wasted on Matt Weiner's son who can't act to save his life. What a morbid, alienating episode.

Somebody really wants their kiddo to have a career.

As for Lane:
    It's prolly supposed to be some hoary old British cliche of 'Death before dishonor' or somesuch nonsense. I agree it was contrived; not as contrived as say, season 2 of Downton Abbey, but yes, contrived.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Just so damn depressing.
    Lane was always the best of them until the writers decided to fuck him over. Hey, here's an awesome scene of him beating up Pete Campbell. But oh look, he's stealing money for some random problem. And oh look, he's disrespecting Joan. And now he's killed himself. Fuck. 2 1/2 seasons of character building amounted to a 4-episode write off that more or less betrayed what came before.

The contrast between this and Sal is pretty big. Sal's exit was tragic but in character, it worked, as sad as it was. This was just pure bullshit.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Also, beside the fact that Weiner's boy can not act, like, at all, I hate everytime we see him now because he doesn't look period. He looks like he stepped out of some late seventies Wes Anderson costuming shot.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Also regarding Don's hypocrisy
    Telling Lane that he can start fresh is such nonsense at this point in Lane's life, not to mention Don got a second start of stealing another man's identity with no consequences. What Lane wanted to do didn't even come close to matching that level of dishonesty.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Telling Lane that he can start fresh is such nonsense at this point in Lane's life, not to mention Don got a second start of stealing another man's identity with no consequences. What Lane wanted to do didn't even come close to matching that level of dishonesty.

I think that's why Don had that,
    "I just murdered this guy,"
    expression the rest of the episode.

• Options
    edited June 2012

Yeah. He's going to have to live with it now. I kind of liked Don before, but after all this shit I just want to see his life fall apart. The show is kind of making me feel the same way I felt in the last few episodes of The Shield.

Heisenberg on
  • Options

Yeah. He's going to have to live with it now. I kind of liked Don before, but after all this shit I just want to see his life fall apart. The show is kind of making me feel the same way I felt in the last few episodes of The Shield.

Don's been a fairly greasy turd for a while now, thoguh. Firing Sal, his whole marriage to Betty, the way he'd just abandon his kids to go off and have affairs, etc., the guy's a shitbird through and through.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Honestly, my favorite thing about this season so far is that it hasn't been the All About Don Draper show, with entire episodes that brought home the point that other characters in the show have their own lives and interests outside of Don.

I'm worried that this newly revived insatiable alpha-shark Don Draper plot turn, combined with some other recent events, will shrink the focus back down to Don's problems and his middle-age angst, which has always been one of the least interesting aspects of the show for me.

• Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Oh god. Glen is Matt Weiner's son? That explains everything because that kid fucking sucks something awful.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Man
    Lane dieing seems reminiscent of Mr Eko from Lost getting killed off, it sucks but kinda reeks of something outside of the show. Oh well.

But i do say i loved the pitch from todays show, but i see Dow just backfiring on them soon.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    seems like this has been in the works for a while.

remember Don doodling the noose?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Post I saw on Slate that sums up my feelings regarding Don and the episode:
    Don is nothing BUT dishonourable. He cheated on Betty with abandon. He used and abused Peggy under the guise of mentorship and steals Ginsberg's ideas without so much as a "thank you" or "great work". For all intents and purposes, Don is the asshole in the Jaguar ad, and he knows it.

Sure, there are momentary lapses of self-flagellation and pop psychology where the audience is supposed to sympathise with him because he had no mommy growing up, but he's still an asshole.

Lane, on the other hand has been nothing but honourable. It's precisely because the rest of the partners appealed to his honour that he got in over his head financially with his contributions to start up the firm and got screwed over in the terms of the partnership. When the firm was doing well, it made no sense for Roger and Don to be waiving thousands of dollars as if it were pocket change while Lane to be struggling financially simply because of boarding school costs.

I think it was a colossally bad idea to kill Lane off and return to the self-indulgent and meaningless soap opera in Don's head. That Wiener chose to take the story in this direction only confirms Wiener to be the sh!t writer that some literary critics accuse him of being. (And I'm not even mentioning the blatant nepotism of casting his own kid in the show. That Glenn kid cannot act to save his life)

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    NathanielFletcherNathanielFletcher Registered User regular
    Nuttycam wrote: »
    Man that episode made me hate everyone other Peggy and Joan. Don too although throwing the money in peggys face was bruuuutal.

I totally agree with you Nuttycam!