Options

Mad Men

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    that doesn't change what I said, really.
    unless you think don knew they were doing that and didn't care. I wasn't 100% sure either way. at first it seemed like they were just being nice but several things that were said seemed like legitimate praise for don's.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    unless you think don knew they were doing that and didn't care. I wasn't 100% sure either way. at first it seemed like they were just being nice but several things that were said seemed like legitimate praise for don's.
    Ginsberg doesn't seem the type to lie to spare others' feelings, and even he was like "That's... actually good." Even though it seems like kind of a shitty pitch, I think we're meant to believe it's got at least some merit, though not as much as Ginsberg's.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Ginsberg doesn't seem the type to lie to spare others' feelings, and even he was like "That's... actually good." Even though it seems like kind of a shitty pitch, I think we're meant to believe it's got at least some merit, though not as much as Ginsberg's.

exactly.
    and while peggy/ginsberg seem confused by the snowball's chance in hell line when don first says it (or at least they don't know where he's going with it), pete picks up on it immediately which I liked.

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

exactly.
    and while peggy/ginsberg seem confused by the snowball's chance in hell line when don first says it (or at least they don't know where he's going with it), pete picks up on it immediately which I liked.

Having a douchebag like Pete be the guy that gets where you're going doesn't speak well for your idea.

Ginsburg didn't
    have to keep doing a bad devil voice to sell his idea.

Mad King George on
  • Options
    pete understood something about the ad. douchebag or not what's the difference.
    and I'm not trying to tell you I think don's idea is better but I don't buy that everything everyone said was just to make don feel good. I think it's meant to be a pretty good idea but not the best.

• Options
    pete understood something about the ad. douchebag or not what's the difference.
    and I'm not trying to tell you I think don's idea is better but I don't buy that everything everyone said was just to make don feel good. I think it's meant to be a pretty good idea but not the best.

No one said it was a bad idea. But it's also clearly supposed to be the inferior one of the two.

• Options
    I think we're like 95% in agreement on everything

definitely inferior

• Options
    I think we're like 95% in agreement on everything

definitely inferior

:^:

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I thought they were both pretty mediocre, but Ginsberg's definitely had the edge.

But hey, they sold the client, and that's what matters, right?

Also: This season is solidifying Bert Cooper as my favorite character on this show.

"Jane and I are getting a divorce!"
    "Already?"

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    -You mean "Hep"
    -Betty never fails to be a petulant child. Sally really has received a top notch education on how to manipulate people.
    -While the devil idea has merit, at its inception even Don was surprised by how awful it was.
    -Pete's daydream cracked me up. Of course he'd fantasize about something so contrived.
    -Devils seemed to get around the episode. There were a few next to cake and deserts in the Weight Watchers meeting.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    -You mean "Hep"
    -Betty never fails to be a petulant child. Sally really has received a top notch education on how to manipulate people.
    -While the devil idea has merit, at its inception even Don was surprised by how awful it was.
    -Pete's daydream cracked me up. Of course he'd fantasize about something so contrived.
    -Devils seemed to get around the episode. There were a few next to cake and deserts in the Weight Watchers meeting.

Pete's
    daydream was hilarious. First it's the typical naked woman in a fur coat coming to work, then she speaks: "I read about you in the New Yorker." He's so full of himself it's insane.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    -You mean "Hep"

Pete's
    daydream was hilarious. First it's the typical naked woman in a fur coat coming to work, then she speaks: "I read about you in the New Yorker." He's so full of himself it's insane.
    That's probably why he was so upset about SCDP being left out of the article. It was realizing this thing he fantasized about, however unlikely, wouldn't happen

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    -You mean "Hep"

Pete's
    Hahaha, yeah, that was hilarious. Such a Pete thing to do. I love that even Cooper is conspiring against him now.

Well, I mean, I don't hate Pete. I don't want him to die or anything. But he's just such a twerp, it's awesome to see him frustrated.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Behemoth wrote: »
    -You mean "Hep"

Pete's
    Hahaha, yeah, that was hilarious. Such a Pete thing to do. I love that even Cooper is conspiring against him now.

Well, I mean, I don't hate Pete. I don't want him to die or anything. But he's just such a twerp, it's awesome to see him frustrated.
    See, I'm completely the opposite- more and more I think that Pete is probably the character I'm rooting for the most. Don, while being the main character, will for all intents and purposes, forever be a competent, square-jawed guy that just deals with whatever he has available. He's certainly gone through some changes and altered his behavior- but he's wanting about very little. He's more about maintaining what he has. Don fits in with the Coopers and Rogers perfectly fine, and at least projects the image of being comfortable in any situation.

Peggy undergoes multiple, radical transformation throughout the series, and has shown that she's adaptable to an almost uncanny degree. She also is ambitious, but at the same time has managed to accomplish a lot of her goals. She inherits a lot of Don's "fake it 'til you make it" attitude, and she uses that tool well, while supplementing it with actual hard work (I believe in season 2, they talk about how she checks out lumps of books at the library, clearly her trying to become better/smarter at her then recently acquired job).

Pete...well, Pete's a straight up loser. He's a downwardly mobile manchild, and is reliable for cringe-worthy moments with how he embarrassingly bumbles through every situation he encounters- almost too self-absorbed to really grasp how to change or reframe, but not enough to be completely self confident. So really, more than any other character, he seems to be the one that has unrealistic, unattainable goals (be richer, better, and more masculine than his father, Ken, and Don, respectively) and constantly fails when he tries. He's a sympathetic fool, one that could be content if either stopped trying to be what he isn't, or really began to change.

Also, I'm kind of curious. What's the general spoiler policy in this thread? The GoT thread has me wondering/double checking.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I really liked this episode. The whale!!!

• Options
    -You mean "Hep"

Pete's

See, I'm completely the opposite- more and more I think that Pete is probably the character I'm rooting for the most. Don, while being the main character, will for all intents and purposes, forever be a competent, square-jawed guy that just deals with whatever he has available. He's certainly gone through some changes and altered his behavior- but he's wanting about very little. He's more about maintaining what he has. Don fits in with the Coopers and Rogers perfectly fine, and at least projects the image of being comfortable in any situation.

Peggy undergoes multiple, radical transformation throughout the series, and has shown that she's adaptable to an almost uncanny degree. She also is ambitious, but at the same time has managed to accomplish a lot of her goals. She inherits a lot of Don's "fake it 'til you make it" attitude, and she uses that tool well, while supplementing it with actual hard work (I believe in season 2, they talk about how she checks out lumps of books at the library, clearly her trying to become better/smarter at her then recently acquired job).

Pete...well, Pete's a straight up loser. He's a downwardly mobile manchild, and is reliable for cringe-worthy moments with how he embarrassingly bumbles through every situation he encounters- almost too self-absorbed to really grasp how to change or reframe, but not enough to be completely self confident. So really, more than any other character, he seems to be the one that has unrealistic, unattainable goals (be richer, better, and more masculine than his father, Ken, and Don, respectively) and constantly fails when he tries. He's a sympathetic fool, one that could be content if either stopped trying to be what he isn't, or really began to change.

Also, I'm kind of curious. What's the general spoiler policy in this thread? The GoT thread has me wondering/double checking.

As far as I know, there is no spoiler policy. Just spoil stuff from the most recent episodes, I guess.
    I agree with all of that. I have great sympathy for Pete, but at the same time he's just so unlikable. But in a lovable way.

I don't know.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    -You mean "Hep"

Pete's

As far as I know, there is no spoiler policy. Just spoil stuff from the most recent episodes, I guess.
    I agree with all of that. I have great sympathy for Pete, but at the same time he's just so unlikable. But in a lovable way.

I don't know.

I've always liked Pete the most and I don't know why. I even watched "Masterminds" all the way through a couple months ago when it showed up on TV. That should tell you something

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hari krishna Harry

... I should go

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Well that was a thing. Paul certainly...changed. And I felt bad for him that they all hated his Star Trek script, yet it was essentially "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

Wonder what's gonna happen with Lane...he's making some questionable decisions.

• Options
    Who played Mother Lakshmi? All I could think of was Juliette Lewis for some reason

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I hope Lane doesn't get caught. Also, Don and Joan have super chemistry. I would pay cash money to watch them fuck.

• Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    I think you might be underestimating just how badly Lane has fucked up here.

Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Lane and Don are buddies, so he should have gone to him about it in the first place. Worst case scenario now is he still goes to him and tells him what he did, hopefully Don is ok with it and they move on.

8 grand is nothing for Don or Roger, anyway. If Lane ends up off the show for this that would be really really stupid, would feel like they made up the side plot because Jared Harris didn't want to be on the show anymore.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    NuttycamNuttycam Registered User regular
    This season has been so good. Did not expect to see Kinsey again, only thing missing from this ep was betty eating something.

• Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    I think the bonuses are the bigger deal (bonuses they couldn't actually afford), and getting more credit for those at the bank by taking a chance and lying to them (and having it blow up in Mohawk pulling funding).

Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Lane and Don are buddies, so he should have gone to him about it in the first place. Worst case scenario now is he still goes to him and tells him what he did, hopefully Don is ok with it and they move on.

Worse case scenario is that he keeps stealing to cover up his stealing, meaning that the company has a hole in its accounts that causes it to have serious problems. Lane gets fired and loses his visa, causing him to have to go back to England where the Inland Revenue want a serious word with him.

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    What is it with the Drapers and plain spaghetti? This bugs the hell out of me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    yotes wrote: »
    What is it with the Drapers and plain spaghetti? This bugs the hell out of me.

That bothered me so much

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Rest assured, it's not plain. It's got a stick of butter per plate melted into it. Old timey yum!

This was definitely a bridge/setup episode, but it is forgiven for the Don/Joan scenes (both in the bar and at Jaguar).

I can't believe there are only 3 episodes left in the season.

• Options
    I've always found it useful to have an inflation calculator up while I watch the show, as there's really not a natural gut-punch when you hear about someone looking for $7,500.

However, in 1966(?), that carries the weight right around $50,000.

!
  • Options
    I've always found it useful to have an inflation calculator up while I watch the show, as there's really not a natural gut-punch when you hear about someone looking for $7,500.

I didn't know the relative shit he was in, until they said the nicest Jaguar was only $6,500. That cleared it up

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

I didn't know the relative shit he was in, until they said the nicest Jaguar was only $6,500. That cleared it up

It also illuminates why ol Grandpa Gene was so upset over who stole his $35. I'd be ticked too if ~$240 went missing.

(And Roger gave Ginsberg the equivalent of $1500 to do the wine work under the table).

!
  • Options
    Goddamn that scene with Don and Joan at the bar was the sexiest thing I've ever seen on TV

Including Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire.

Also: D'awww, Harry. You're alright. Can't wait to see Kinsey pop up again the next time there's an episode in California.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I wondered if the whole thing with Kinsey was a set up for an SCDP West since advertising really grew out here at the time.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Who played Mother Lakshmi? All I could think of was Juliette Lewis for some reason

Here name is Anna Wood. I haven't seen her in anything else, and yes, she looks like Juliette Lewis. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3580571/

• Options
    Also, regarding the whole Paul thing: if this was just a way to wrap up his storyline in the series, then I guarantee Sal comes back in some way in relation to the upcoming Stonewall riots.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

It also illuminates why ol Grandpa Gene was so upset over who stole his $35. I'd be ticked too if ~$240 went missing.

(And Roger gave Ginsberg the equivalent of $1500 to do the wine work under the table).

Damn, Roger really does need to stop carrying around so much cash.

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Did they ever explain why Lane needed to send the money back to the UK?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options

Owed it in taxes to the British govt. Apparently he'd be sent to jail if he didn't pay immediately

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

He owed it to the government. They never said what for, but I'd guess back taxes.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png