As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Oh wow holy shit it doesn't feel like I'm far into the game at all

but I've already put 20 hours into it how the hell did that happen.

Same. I'm about 24 hours in and just waiting for a thunderstorm...

Go to the time selection screen and advance the time one hour at a time. You'll get one in a couple minutes.

Well that's something I could have used a while ago.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Same. I'm about 24 hours in and just waiting for a thunderstorm...

Go to the time selection screen and advance the time one hour at a time. You'll get one in a couple minutes.

Well that's something I could have used a while ago.

Also, in case you haven't figured this out yet: if you're trying to get a monster to respawn, don't advance the time. Teleport to the closest landmark. Teleportation seems to be the respawn trigger, not in-game time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Seriously how god damn handy is that clock screen? It's like it's a debug feature and at some point some tester told the dev team "you know, if I didn't have this I'd just want to kill myself. Maybe just leave it in."

More games need to do shit like that. Waiting should never be a game mechanic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular

I may have accidentally spent the past hour doing nothing but crafting gems

• Options
    Guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

I can't get it out of my head. It sings to me at night. Help me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    You can also boost affinity by gifting team members those collectables you've been picking up

So don't sell them

Huh, I never knew that. That'll be a big help since I've been trying to spread out affinity to my less-used teammates.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I had to return the game to Gamefly since my rental time was up. I actually thought 2-ish weeks would've been enough to finish it but.. no, not with those sidequests and my quest OCD.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    I had to return the game to Gamefly since my rental time was up. I actually thought 2-ish weeks would've been enough to finish it but.. no, not with those sidequests and my quest OCD.

Two weeks is way too short of time for this game.

I'm beginning to think that maybe it doesn't have an end.

If I get to a point where there is a third titan called Thrionis that I get to explore then I will not be surprised.

• Options
    After the Ether Mine
    Alright Dunban, you get to join our party under one condition. We're gonna sell off all your impossibly cool clothes and dress you up like a god damn clown.

I'm sorry, it's non-negotiable.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    After the Ether Mine
    Alright Dunban, you get to join our party under one condition. We're gonna sell off all your impossibly cool clothes and dress you up like a god damn clown.

He's the one team member that I refused to change his outfit for because it would break my heart to see him succumb to goofy clothes.

It was only around level 60 that I accepted that his evasiveness wasn't enough to make up for the fragility of his default clothes so I settled on a headband/different pants and shoes and as many evasion gems as I could fit.

He gets some excellent swords, though. The one I have right now has the same lightsaber effect as the Monado.

• Options
    Oh hey I just realized I hate how the shop selling interface is identical to the item screen. I just discarded a whole bunch of equipment I meant to sell.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Apparently the best way to run
    Dunban
    is no armor at all?

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Spoiler.

And yeah I dunno. I like putting big armor on dudes. I like that defense number to go up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    You-know-who is different to Reyn in that he focuses on evasion instead of high HP/def, and has several skills in his tree that benefit from wearing no armour (eg: boost to aggro). And if you start putting armour on him his evasion takes a hit.

• Options
    For the time being, I see no reason not to just run everything with
    Shulk, Reyn and Sharla. Sorry Dunban, but the concept of an evasion tank is a little too bursty for my liking.

• Options
    Spoiler.

And yeah I dunno. I like putting big armor on dudes. I like that defense number to go up.
    I didn't think it was a spoiler, he makes it pretty clear he's going to join you guys at the end of the colony 9 stuff, it's just a matter of time

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Spoiler.

I didn't think it was a spoiler, he makes it pretty clear he's going to join you guys at the end of the colony 9 stuff, it's just a matter of time
    I didn't expect him to join up as a permanent, equippable party member, for one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Did you flip the boxart, that spoils all the party characters

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Just made it past the Ether Mines, and now I have a crackpot theory based on the events just following:
    Xord, just before falling to his death said something about how his "eyes were open ever since he became this way".

So now, I'm thinking those face Mechon are made from former people (Homs?).

What's more, Metal Face's voice sounds suspiciously like Mumkhar, from the opening with Dunban.

Might be right, might be wrong, but it makes a little too much sense right now.

• Options
    Did you flip the boxart, that spoils all the party characters
    Haven't looked closely at it since before I started playing, so of course back then the art didn't mean anything to me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Just made it past the Ether Mines, and now I have a crackpot theory based on the events just following:
    Xord, just before falling to his death said something about how his "eyes were open ever since he became this way".

What's more, Metal Face's voice sounds suspiciously like Mumkhar, from the opening with Dunban.

Our playthroughs are almost exactly at the same point right now.
    My first thought was that Mechons recently became self-aware and that's what Xord was talking about. Maybe you don't hear them talk until you meet Xord because they couldn't talk until that point.

sig.gif
  • Options

Our playthroughs are almost exactly at the same point right now.
    My first thought was that Mechons recently became self-aware and that's what Xord was talking about. Maybe you don't hear them talk until you meet Xord because they couldn't talk until that point.

I'm at this point as well
    Talking to Desiree and a few other in Colony 9 will be informative.

• Options
    Also (speculation)
    The "true Monado" that's been cryptically referred to is the sword the Bionis itself uses, that makes up Sword Valley. Its power will need to be harnessed in Shulk's Monado somehow and then it will get the ability to slice through metal-faces like butter.

Also my bet is currently that the very final battle in the game will have Shulk remote controlling Bionis itself and that you'll get a fight controlling it and have to kill the Mechonis.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I am still in the ether mines, on that giant spinny machine thing, so I can't click any of those :(

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I am still in the ether mines, on that giant spinny machine thing, so I can't click any of those :(

Go play for like 30 minutes then come back.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also holy shit guys we are damn synchronized on this let's keep this up, this is fun.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man, the Ether Mines dragged by the end

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I ended up doing two whole turns around the thing because I didn't see the passage you're supposed to take the first time around and that was annoying.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Thankfully (post ether mine)
    Most of that dungeon gets cut off so you never have a reason to go back to those platforming sections. Ever.

Just wait until the next area, if Gaur Plain knocked your socks off then hoo boy.

Also reading everyone's theories is pretty fun.

• Options
    Man that was a lot longer than 30 minutes. So glad I am out of those dang mines now.

Neat cutscenes. I mostly agree with the speculation, though I do not know if I want that endgame bit to be true.

Also noticing something people were talking about earlier. Somebody mentions something, and one or two other people will repeat the same thing for some dumb reason.

Mostly liking the game though

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Haha, yeah, the redundant dialogue is pretty silly when it pops up. In a part I did recently the dialogue went along the lines of

A Dude: I used a [REDACTED] tactic! You know what that is, right?
    Shulk: Yeah
    Me: Oh thank god it's pretty self-explantory
    *Reyn looks puzzled and then it gets explained to him*

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    After the Ether Mine

He's the one team member that I refused to change his outfit for because it would break my heart to see him succumb to goofy clothes.

It was only around level 60 that I accepted that his evasiveness wasn't enough to make up for the fragility of his default clothes so I settled on a headband/different pants and shoes and as many evasion gems as I could fit.

He gets some excellent swords, though. The one I have right now has the same lightsaber effect as the Monado.
    You really don't need to worry about Dunban ever looking ugly if you stick to light armor. The jungle armor looks decent enough on him, and the next batches of armor basically turn him into a Balthier-style pirate.

You don't need to match sets perfectly, a lot of the tiers of armor look exactly the same. It's usually pretty obvious what you can put together.

jothki on
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    After the Ether Mine

You really don't need to worry about Dunban ever looking ugly if you stick to light armor. The jungle armor looks decent enough on him, and the next batches of armor basically turn him into a Balthier-style pirate.

You don't need to match sets perfectly, a lot of the tiers of armor look exactly the same. It's usually pretty obvious what you can put together.

I love/hate how half of the stuff I put on Shulk makes him look like Mega Man.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mixing gear hasn't bothered me yet, I played too much WoW to care about aesthetics so long as my gear was tops.

I find myself playing this game in short bursts. I'm really enjoying it, but the need to see everything leaves me a little drained, so I need to step back for a bit in odder to see things with fresh eyes.

• Options
    I swap gear out so often. I am thinking of just finding something I like the look of and sticking with that until it is seriously outdated, instead of the second I find a better piece of gear

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Is it just me or did Xorn make anyone else think of a fat, drunken serial rapist when he talked?

• Options
    More like a robot pirate to me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    As someone who beat the game last night, it's cool to now see the theories of other people still early in the game, and how they match up with the ones I had at that point.

• Options
    I can't wait to be finished with it in order to properly discuss stuff but man so many hours to go. Fucking real life.

This is another one of those games where I wish I could freeze time or put the rest of my life on hold for like an infinite day where I could just push the whole way through.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man.

These side quests are just. Not even a little bit compelling.

I mean the unique monsters and stuff are cool but, way too MMO.

I like some other games that have little cut scenes explaining why these people need your help and what is going on.

I think I am largely going to ignore side-quests in this game unless I find some good reason to do otherwise.