As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Got some shooting in, spent no EGO points because I am terrified of committing to any decisions, may even respec out of my first power choice! Also refused to redeem my preorder/arkfall code/etc stuff because "What if I want to remake my character"

I have brain problems.

Also discovered the "Go to Friend" option in the social menu, which instantly teleports you to anyone on your friend list. Holy shit that is the best most useful thing.

• Options
    Claw ShrimpClaw Shrimp Registered User regular
    Wang Francisco Arkadians?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Im passing out, if we can get a name sorted by tomorrow ill make the Clan and send out invites. If you haven't friended me, ill be around tomorrow to get invites out.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm noautomobilesgo in game, my character's name is Alaria! I'm at about 110-ish at the moment.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I'm TPSou in game and my character's name is Teep just trying to get streaming to work atm but will be on for the next few hours

• Options
    Some annoyances so far: It appears you can't add/search for people unless they're online, the one Co-Op map I tried ran horribly and didn't work despite multiple times trying it, various UI obtuseness and such.

However, despite some of these things, it's been really fun. I'm quite enjoying it, gives me a Borderlands-y vibe. It could use some polish around some of it's edges though.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    I picked this up from Greenman earlier today, and as far as I can see, did not get any of the things it said I would. Namely the outfit/title. I got all my Arkfall Hunter code items from Claim in the store, where am I supposed to get the GMG outfit/gun/title?

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I think the pre-order bonus stuff is redeemable through codes provided via e-mail/receipts.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have the army Pax Arcadia in Firefall, and I think that name is classy++.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Preorder stuff should be located in game, in the "Claim" section of the Store. The button is located toward the bottom left of the screen when you're in the store. This of course assumes you've entered in any and all codes in the Apply Codes section of Trion's site.

Decoy on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Account name is Arthil, character name is Arthel Sentin. Hopefully we can get that info consolidated into the OP @SquiddyBiscuit hint hint

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Up to about 103, enjoying it so far even if it's a little repetitive. That music.

Going to write some impressions up on the site and then I'll be back on, TPSou and character is Teep

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    So all this pre-order stuff, account wide? as in every new charecter gets it or is it one claim?

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I turned down the music myself, been enjoying it so far. Like someone said, bit rough around the edges but it is very enjoyable so far. Did a major Arkfall, that was interesting, lots of hellbugs and you really need to position yourself to hit the bugs in the right area otherwise your shots do squat for damage.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Posted impressions on the site in my sig so far, going into the game now if anyone wants to add me

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    still love this game so far...

i think it works best as duo and trios.... four folks gets nuts.

i mean for dungeons sure....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Acharenus wrote: »
    So all this pre-order stuff, account wide? as in every new charecter gets it or is it one claim?

To answer my own question it seems you can claim it all on as many as you like

• Options
    TPSou wrote: »
    Up to about 103, enjoying it so far even if it's a little repetitive. That music.

Going to write some impressions up on the site and then I'll be back on, TPSou and character is Teep

To be completely honest, all shooters fall into the "a little repetitive" book for me. I think my issue is mostly just due to the battle fatigue after awhile though. That's not to say I dont agree with your point.

Getting down to brass tacks, if you're not one who gets into the lore behind quests (which admitedly I'm not most of the time) the questing can feel extremely shallow. Essentially just "travel to a set piece, activate a few things, fight a couple of waves, and get loot." The fun I gleen from that though is adapting to the set pieces they send me to, which is why I tend to find the Arkfall events kinda boring since they are just large empty fields with occasional pop-up enemies.

Also, my kingdom for a healing gun! LET ME HEAL YOU, DAMNIT!

• Options
    yeah the loot rewards have seemed a bit odd so far, I've got bags full of rocket launcher mods but have only seen one SMG and no healing guns.

• Options
    Very disappointed that the full store is not available from beta (they are holding things back.) The the pricing is a tad steep.

What powers did everyone go with? I ditched survivor/ cloak for vet/ blur. I love cloak but the guns i enjoy just don't sing with it.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah all my loot rewards so far have been mods that I'm afraid to use. Oddly enough, the way some people are apprehensive to spend their EGO points, I am that exact way with my weapon mods. I don't want to spend the resources to add a mod slot to a weapon I'm going to (hopefully) replace fairly quickly, especially when it's such a weak mod. It certainly helps that with all the preorder bonuses I have like 37 inv slots to play with.

Decoy on
  • Options
    I'm going with the overload one, the biggest boon is that it gives you an instant reload, with an LMG that's a lifesaver. Now I justr need to work on survivability somehow

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Same as TPSou, I went overload. IIRC there is a passive directly off of the OL skill that give you dmg reduction when your shield breaks. That should help a little. I'm pretty sure its 1/2/3 seconds, so while its not long, its at least something close to the main skill. Maxing that out and carrying a 3sec delay recharge shield should be good.

Decoy on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Color me crazy, but I started with Decoy. It's a welcome distraction when your ass is in trouble and allows for some easy headshots.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Bobble wrote: »
    Color me crazy, but I started with Decoy. It's a welcome distraction when your ass is in trouble and allows for some easy headshots.

Its neat and i would want a pal with decoy in my party... but situational as all hell.

What Im saying is shine on you crazy diamond, do you wanna group up for shootings of filthie muties.

Charles Xaviar would hate this game the way we stack up mutant bodies like fire wood.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    TBH, I would much rather decoy acted like a stationery ground placed unit/hologram than a moving target. That's really my beef with it. Then again, that just SCREAMS terrain exploit, so maybe not.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Pax Arcadia got 1 suggestion and 2 agrees, so I made it. Friend me if you want an invite. CorriganX is the account.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    So you can toggle combat music, couldn't turn it off fast enough when I found out.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Went with Cloaking myself, I enjoy sniping a fair bit but during the arkfalls you need something that really spits out the damage.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Pax Arcadia got 1 suggestion and 2 agrees, so I made it. Friend me if you want an invite. CorriganX is the account.

im already your friend! I already want an invite!

• Options
    I can't see in game chat at all, so im just inviting whoever friends me. :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So Steam screwed me over- tried preordering it for several hours and kept giving me "an unexpected error has occurred" and contact Steam support... Never got a response. Kind of killed any enthusiasm I had for the game, especially since I doubt I'll get any preorder bonuses now.

I'm sure it wasn't my side either- I tried a few payment methods and even called my credit card companies and made sure they were okay.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I went with Overcharge too, though I'm kind of tempted to respec into Decoy.

Overcharge is goddamn amazing with LMGs, it totally eliminates muzzle climb and severely slows down the reticule bloom, along with the free reload and you can spec into faster reloads while it's active.

I have no idea why the in game achievement system pairs up LMG with Decoy, and Overcharge with ARs.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Made it up to ~140 last night and had a pretty good time. Constantly fighting the UI was not enjoyable though. I get they're focusing on the consoles, but good lord I never realized how much I'd miss a traditional rpg paperdoll setup. Fumbling through menus to get people muted in groups because of mics defaulting to on was frustrating too.

Still, once I peaced out of the beginner areas and drove around down south the game really came together. Doing arkfalls and events with 3-4 random people was very enjoyable. Enemies were no longer the massive bullet sponges thanks to scaling, and the fairly flat level curve meant we were competitive even in a higher level zone.

The server ran smooth for me the whole night, although I did have one annoying bug. The game placed me in an already in progress instance, I was locked out of the door, quit, joined another instance, and when that first instance finished, it booted me out of the new one I was in.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was my experience last night as well. I started with the feeling that maybe I should have waited for a few patches, but after an hour or two I was feeling a little bit better. Then after doing the first co-op mission followed by doing a few arkfalls? I realized I was having fun.

This morning my chat seemed to be broken though, so hopefully that gets fixed up.

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    I know this is only day 1, but I am looking for some opinions.

Is this an MMO that can be enjoyed casually, say either 30 minutes to 1 hour every day, or a few hours once a week, or will I feel like I need more time to play this?

I've also GOT to remember to DVR this show; the tie in part is the most intriguing to me so far.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    Its not really an mmo. I mean yeah its huge and lots of people, but its way more Third Person Shooter than mmo. You can go in and do quests and storylines with little time investment. You won't be worse off for not playing, its not like theres any real downside to taking it at your own pace.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Its not really an mmo. I mean yeah its huge and lots of people, but its way more Third Person Shooter than mmo. You can go in and do quests and storylines with little time investment. You won't be worse off for not playing, its not like theres any real downside to taking it at your own pace.

Also levels have no meaning.... yeah you have perks that are better and maybe better gear- but you can run with 'high level 'folks no problem as its a shooter....

• Options
    Just a tip for those who've done EGO codes and are trying to pick a starting power: If you got the Scavenger EGO perk from the codes, you can pick up Overcharge almost whenever you want, it just requires you put on point in the perk above Scavenger and then you can grab Overcharge.

I started with Cloak and now I have both powers available.

Sob24Nm.png
  • Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Also levels have no meaning.... yeah you have perks that are better and maybe better gear- but you can run with 'high level 'folks no problem as its a shooter....

Ah; so is there a sense of progression in the game? If it's just your guns get shinier and bigger, but do the same stuff and the same damage, ah well for me.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504