As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jack Bros./Shin Megami Tensei] - P4G is out! Have you Social Linked yet?

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    Wait, so SMTIV is going to be Nintendo only? Sigh... handhelds are the last bastion of new JRPGS not done by shitty companies like N1 and Gust.
    Y U NO LIEK AR TONELICO?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I heard heresy in this thread.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Ar Tonelico was pretty terrible, but I liked Atelier Iris 1 and 2 and also Mana Khemia 1 and 2.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Not liking Ar tonelico and the Arland trilogy (or at least 2+3)?!

BURN THE HERETIC!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Sorry, I'm not here for unfunny innuendo and whiny emo bitches.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I liked 2's protagonist, and the series has some phenomenal music and a fun battle system.

Uh, that's about it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Akihiko's story mode is excellent. He'd get along with my USAF bros. Protien is some real good shit, dawg.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    My favorite story mode endings were the ones where Kanji still has no idea what happened or what anything means

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Akihiko's story mode is excellent. He'd get along with my USAF bros. Protien is some real good shit, dawg.

Shinjiro saw it coming.
    You just drink that protein shit.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    My favorite story mode endings were the ones where Kanji still has no idea what happened or what anything means
    That's the biggest reason why Teddie's was my favorite ending.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    kanji really seems like he's all there until the writers decide to make him dumb for one scene or another

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not here for unfunny innuendo and whiny emo bitches.

Meh, Ar Tonelico 2 and Quoga (sp?) were pretty good, IMO. Story wise the characters developed well and it was a simple battle system that was easy to get the hang of, so you never felt too stuck. Oh and good lord the music. The music is so good in that series. Probably some of the few JRPG games that I would say had amazing soundtracks; the other series being Shadow Hearts.

I forgot about the Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris series though... not sure on how the new Atelier games are, but they seemed to turn a lot more... girly.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Atelier was always a girly series from the start.
    And crafting. So much crafting.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Since this is temporarily the Gust thread. I like AT2 but only because the battle system was fun, 1 and 3...meh.

Never cared much for AI since MK is better in almost every way.

Now, I return to the shadows.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm not complaining about SMT being limited to handhelds. I'm more disappointed that SMTIV is being limited to the 3DS in this era where HD console games are mostly cross-platform.

Akilae on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's sort of a shame... I feel like it's understandable, given how different the handhelds are compared to how similar the consoles are. Sucks to feel like I have to buy all of the handhelds to play the games I want to play, though.

• Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    And it had to be the only region locked handheld. :(

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The region locked thing is bullshit, but you can blame the Mother 3 fan translation project for that. How dare we dirty hippies take things onto ourselves when Big N and the rest intentionally ignore us?

Myself, I'm mostly pissed off because there's a very real chance that we won't get the Dragon Quest Monsters 1 3DS remake in the US (despite it having a rather large amount of online content and the whole "play against Americans and Europeans" thing being heavily advertised in Japan) and if I do want to play it, even in Moon Runes, it's $250 or so for an imported Japanese 3DS.

Having said all that, we all know SMT4 is a given int he US, but has Atlus given any sort of hint about release timing, or if we're getting Soul Hackers, or what have you?

KiTA on
  • Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    Got me Soul Hackers and a 3DSLL, also Debisaba Overclock and Strange Journey (which I already had but misplaced) for good measure.
    img]

Yay.

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Saw the final episode of P4: The Animation. I actually enjoyed it. Looking forward to the dub.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    The whole anime adaption was done very well. (Outside of making us wait for the last episode and making it DVD/BR only, the true ending was well done.)
    The best thing about the adaption though? It's comedic timing and very well thought out gags. The lighthearted episodes were some of the funniest thing's I've watched since FMP! Fumofu or Level E.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...As far as Handhelds go still debating with myself.

PSP is finally around the price I'm willing to pay for it, but the Vita is out so I'm wondering if I should get that instead. But it doesn't have much of anything I want.

3DS has more of the games but the only one I really want at the moment is DDD and maybe SMT later. Still waiting for that new PW game, Pokemon, and possibly a sequel to TWEWY.

Ugh...

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Vita can play 95% of PSP games. and plays them better. You'd only be missing out on mainly the Square Enix games they refuse to put up (Crisis Core, KH: Birth By Sleep, the Star Ocean remakes, Valkyrie Profile), the ease of importing PSP games (say ToEternia from Europe or DJMax games from Korea or anything Japanese), and fan-translated projects (like Valkyria Chronicles III) without a PSP. It however isn't coming down in price anytime soon.

If price point is a huge issue, I'd say get a 3DS( or 3DSXL) now and buy a Vita when it comes down in price or you have a good tax return.

But as this is the SMT thread. DS/3DS so far has the SMT series of games. PSP/Vita has the Persona series (and every Persona game if P2:EP gets localized).

(Edit: And for the record, KH0: Birth By Sleep is a better game than KH2.5: Dream Drop Distance.)

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...As far as Handhelds go still debating with myself.

PSP is finally around the price I'm willing to pay for it, but the Vita is out so I'm wondering if I should get that instead. But it doesn't have much of anything I want.

3DS has more of the games but the only one I really want at the moment is DDD and maybe SMT later. Still waiting for that new PW game, Pokemon, and possibly a sequel to TWEWY.

Ugh...

So the only 3DS game you want that's actually out is a slightly enhanced version of a DS game and there's nothing on the Vita you want much? Sounds like you should wait on both systems.

I will echo what vagrant_winds said though - excluding the handful of PSP games that aren't on the PSN, the Vita plays PSP games better than an actual PSP. Bigger & better screen, faster load times, and more control options.

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Having said all that, we all know SMT4 is a given int he US, but has Atlus given any sort of hint about release timing, or if we're getting Soul Hackers, or what have you?
    Given that Europe didn't get SJ or either Devil Survivor until the 3DS remake, I'm less happy about our changes of getting it

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    God Bless America.

My home, sweet home! You also only got the EO games that Nintendo published!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Xagarath wrote: »

Given that Europe didn't get SJ or either Devil Survivor until the 3DS remake, I'm less happy about our changes of getting it

The joys of a non-region locked console. I'd honestly never noticed.

• Options
    Xagarath wrote: »

Yikes. =/

• Options
    Atlus not having any European entity for distribution sucks a lot, yeah.

• Options
    Win on healthcare and social freedoms.
    Lose on video games.

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    Aside from Persona 1-3 the PSP and thus Vita also has Devil Summoner 1.

Plus the Vita firmware's been updated and it now runs PS1 archive games, including Shin 1 and 2. Devil Children and If. Also has stuff like Suparobo, Wild Arms, Xenogears, Arc the Lad, Gunparade, Summon Night (2 is currently on sale for 300 yen), etc.

Just saying.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Win on healthcare and social freedoms.
    Lose on video games.

Not worth it :cry:
    Atlus not having any European entity for distribution sucks a lot, yeah.

Well, they did get some games published..and they do have Ghostlight now, although publishing Overclocked doesn't seem to exactly at the top of their list of priorities.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So apparently P4G:SGEPE is already sold out in-store at Gamestop now. Glad I got mine on Sunday.

P4A was one effective marketing tool. I guess I went the reverse way and instead of going from the RPG to the fighting game, I'm going form the fighting game to the RPGs. FES was a waste of $10 so I'm doing P3P instead.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    So apparently P4G:SGEPE is already sold out in-store at Gamestop now. Glad I got mine on Sunday.

P4A was one effective marketing tool. I guess I went the reverse way and instead of going from the RPG to the fighting game, I'm going form the fighting game to the RPGs. FES was a waste of $10 so I'm doing P3P instead.

I'm unpleasantly surprised. I'm prepared to purchase the PSN Persona 3 and make like a thousand saves. Was anything else wrong?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well, making a thousand saves doesn't help. I was making multiple saves, had 6 saves, but one saved incorrectly error = can't save in any slot = try to load and all saves are gone. Also, you're limited to 16 saves anyway but the above error trumps it all. At least I got to watch some nice cinematics to get into the mood that I don't get with P3P (it just uses static cut scenes with more text descriptions of what's happening)

I believe if you're deadset on doing the PSN version you'll have to do the following every time you save:

1) Pray it actually works
    2) Exit the game
    3) Copy the saves to a USB stick
    4) Go back into the game and play again

Which is too tedious for me.

Dracil on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    What about multiple virtual memory cards? The system uses those, right? Save to one card, make another, save to that, etc.?

• Options
    It sucks because FES is the only way to play The Answer, too

I mean, it's not a hugely important scenario, but some cool stuff happens in there

• Options
    Managing memory at all requires exiting the game. Also, it seems like it doesn't use that but instead creates some save for the game separately.

• Options
    Dracil wrote: »

FES is not a waste of anything. Shut your dirty, dirty mouth. *shake fist*

Ninja: Wait. There's a savegame corruption bug in FES?

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    In the PSN version, yeah. Apparently it just randomly fails to save, then proceeds to wipe all of your slots.

This discussion has been closed.