As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mr.Sci-Fi wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    Mentioning security features in advance would only serve to help counterfeiters and I doubt you will find answers to those questions here.

Well any good measure wouldn't be easily copied, holograms or a chip of some sort would be impossible to fake in the short time between people getting them in the mail and the event. I was hoping to hear that the badges might have a hologram like most credit/debt cards have.

Also not letting people know about it in advance makes it even harder to copy. You wont find out about it before you get your pass, and even then you wont find everything about all security features until day of PAX.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Hajeil SounakHajeil Sounak Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    I'm very interested in attending PAX but have a slight problem. I can not find where you sign up for email notifications that will tell you when advanced badges go on sale. This has caused me to miss out on this now for both East and Prime this year. If someone could point me in the right direct so that I can sign up for an email list/notification I would greatly appreciate it.

Hajeil Sounak on
    Vae victis!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm very interested in attending PAX but have a slight problem. I can not find where you sign up for email notifications that will tell you when advanced badges go on sale. This has caused me to miss out on this now for both East and Prime this year. If someone could point me in the right direct so that I can sign up for an email list/notification I would greatly appreciate it.

That does not exist. You can follow http://twitter.com/official_pax for notifications.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Nazoshadow wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering... does PAX have a "curfew" policy for minors? I know Sakura Con requires all minors leave the con at 1 am till 5 am, I was wondering if PAX enforces a similar rule.

Granted, this is the first time I'll be lugging around a minor (I had no other choice, she's my sister).
    No, not that I've ever heard of. PAX Closes at 2am though, so there's that.
    Correct. There is no curfew for certain ages, but the convention center and any outlying panel rooms close at 2am (or earlier for some rooms) for everyone.

I could be mistaken, but isn't the actual convention centre open 24/7 during PAX? I heard last year that The Juicy Cafe (the really awesome juice/healthy food place on the 2nd floor) was open at all hours during the show, and was hoping to snag some overnight food during the show.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    All hours during the show means the hours that PAX is open, not all night.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    The building itself closes when the show closes (with possibly a small grace period). I believe it opens at 8am if I remember correctly, although as always that is subject to change even day of.

But no, you can not hang out in the building all night, security will kick you out eventually. If you are looking for a place to hang and play games at 4am, try one of the nearby hotel lobbies? Sheraton for instance.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Gotcha, I'll hit up The Daily Grill if I feel like some 6am eating. :)

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Does anybody know if there will be any announcement when they have the amount of Enforcers they need? Or an email to the applicants not accepted?
    I am curious because I applied, and am trying to make plans, but they all hinge on weather I'll be an enforcer or not. So I was curious if there was any way to know.

If this is in any way out of line, I apologize.

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    From what I know acceptance emails will be going out withing the next 2 weeks. Hope you get in!

iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    Cool. The waiting is killing me. I haven't wanted something so badly before this.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I have been wondering the same thing. I asked their Twitter account about it and they said they would call. Either way I just want to know. Good Luck.

UNHMAN on
  • Options
    CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    friend of mine received his response email yesterday

Crogoth on
  • Options
    watersagewatersage Registered User regular
    I know the feeling, I have been checking my email everyday. The suspense is killing me! This will be my first pax if I get accepted. Couldn't make it last years or the year before due to the army >_<

• Options
    cool. crossing fingers hoping I hear something soon.

thread can be locked now. thanks guys.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    cool. crossing fingers hoping I hear something soon.

thread can be locked now. thanks guys.

I don't think we're locking the FAQ ;)

• Options
    LividhatterLividhatter Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Title says it all. I play WOW/D3/SC2 and was kind of hoping to talk to some Blizz people.

Lividhatter on
  • Options
    Title says it all. I play WOW/D3/SC2 and was kind of hoping to talk to some Blizz people.

Not really, no. They had a super limited group at East 2010, not sure about Prime 2010, but I haven't seen them at East 2011, Prime 2011, or East 2012.

• Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Got my 3-day pass in the mail but no BYOC. Is this normal?

• Options
    MOSFET wrote: »
    Got my 3-day pass in the mail but no BYOC. Is this normal?

Before this year, BYOC passes were never mailed. As far what's going on this year, I honestly have no clue. It /sounds/ like BYOC will be a separate mailer based on what I've heard thus far though, but no confirmation on that.

• Options
    LividhatterLividhatter Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Any barcraft events going on any night on PAX weekend?

Lividhatter on
  • Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    My Friend Just got his PAX PRIME PASS TODAY.So excited. was wondering if theres an estimated time frame of getting pax prime passes? i mean i dont live to far from him and we ordered them pretty close together.So yeah.

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    My Friend Just got his PAX PRIME PASS TODAY.So excited. was wondering if theres an estimated time frame of getting pax prime passes? i mean i dont live to far from him and we ordered them pretty close together.So yeah.

There's a discussion thread for this just down the list a bit, with all sorts of things to wet your appetite (including a discussion about how random the mailing groups seem to be.)

• Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

SCRATCH THAT MESSAGE MAIL JUST GOT HERE YAY I GOT MY PASSS

@tsrblke
    THANKS sorry i didn't know.New to the whole pax thing.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • Options
    @WeeEvil Eevee

No need to apologize, I just didn't want you to miss out on the fun that is the "I got my pass" thread.
    It's only my second year, so I'm still trying to get my bearings. The wife and I were discussing a while back how much we missed by just not paying attention last year.* (Like how we'd basically bolt after the Expo hall closed for dinner and then basically treat the night like it was over, go to bed etc. Not this time! We intend to stay up until the wee hours.)

*There is no doing it wrong, just doing it differently. Don't interpret my comments as "we didn't have fun" just "we want to try something different." We certainly had fun last year, and dinners out were great (I like wine bars), but this year we're going for "different." I imagine it'd take years to find the perfect balance of "sleep, panels, gaming, expo hall, concerts, hanging out........"

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Ive found that there's no such thing as a perfect balance, unless you forget about sleeping, you'll miss stuff!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Ive found that there's no such thing as a perfect balance, unless you forget about sleeping, you'll miss stuff!

Well missing stuff is the nature of a time based reality. (Put less aloofly: I can't be everywhere at once.)
    In fact last year I missed stuff (the Bioshock: Infinite Panel) in favor of stuff I wanted to see more (The Skyrim panel) and I don't regret that. I'm OK with missing stuff. What we're trying to figure is the proper balance of everything so that we don't look back and go "wow, we didn't even realize the Table Top and other locations were open until 2AM, how did we miss that?!" (the answer to that question is: We spent too much time thinking about dinner.)
    Again, though we didn't do it wrong. In fact I'd say for our specific stylings we did it right for our first year. Plus, I think the nature of going to your first con (ever) tends to cause focus on panels, expohall, and other flashy things (YMMV, IMHO, etc. but it's like going to Vegas, you want to take in the glitz). Just this year we're going to try to shift the balance from "delicious dinner at a nice resturant together" at night to "keep doing stuff."

I'm open to suggestions on that. And to be clear, worst case scenerio things go mostly like last year, which would still be more awesome than I ever could have hoped for!

• Options
    Remember folks, Question and Answer thread, not chat. Although your advice/experiences on how to split your time would probably make great additions to the First Timer thread if you haven't put them there already :)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    BYOC Badges are being mailed separately.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    JulieLJulieL Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    I miss the banner that use to be at the side of the old PAX site that showed the companies that would be at PAX. Are the companies attending listed somewhere else one the site and I'm just not seeing it?

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    JulieL wrote: »
    I miss the banner that use to be at the side of the old PAX site that showed the companies that would be at PAX. Are the companies attending listed somewhere else one the site and I'm just not seeing it?

The banner will be listed at the bottom of the site.

Edit: If you click the Pax East site and look at the bottom of the page you will see how it will look.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    JulieLJulieL Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    Thanks, I'll go have a cup of calming tea now and wait. ;)

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Sorry the double was my bad. I keep a thread bookmarked as my link to these forums and forgot i changed it to this one instead of the hotel one where you answered my question. Once I realized my mistake I posted in the right thread and forgot to edit this one with an explanation or funny msg. so yeah sowwy

sanovah on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sanovah wrote: »
    So as we're getting closer(just over a month) any word when OnPeak will take the deposit money?

please try to not ask the same question in multiple threads. I answered you in the hotel thread btw.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've never had OnPeak charge me for a deposit. I believe the checkout page says if you can't give them a card to charge to, they'll require a check for the deposit amount so they have collateral in case you never check in or cancel after the cancellation period. If you give them a card, then they'd just charge that. If everything's peachy, then you'll just be charged at checkout by the hotel.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    TheLuisVelascoTheLuisVelasco Registered User new member
    So this is going to be my first pax prime and well I was wondering how much money should I carry around? Like for swag. Like shirts or just little things.? Is stuff there overpriced?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't say stuff is overpriced. Speaking only for PA swag, you can take a look at what's in the store and expect to find things at about that price, possibly cheaper (due to bundles and the fact that there's no shipping).

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say stuff is overpriced. Speaking only for PA swag, you can take a look at what's in the store and expect to find things at about that price, possibly cheaper (due to bundles and the fact that there's no shipping).

I'd agree with that for the PA stuff (it's about website priced, plus Tax maybe? but no shipping.) As for people selling stuff, I wouldn't say I saw anyone price gouging. Anything we passed on because we thought it was too expensive was pretty much always something that we got home (the midwest) we found was pretty much normally that price and we just didn't realize that (I'm looking at you "Ticket to Ride").
    I will say this: The only shirts I bought last year were HaloFest (not happening this year) and PAX shirts (I'll likely get this again.) Every other shirt I got was a handout from somewhere (I think there were 2 or 3 of them.) I think everything else I bought (excluding maybe one or two small things from HaloFest) could have been gotten back home at my friendly local gaming shop but we (the wife and I) wouldn't have been able to justify it had we not been at PAX (memories and impluse.) So in theory you could escape with very little spending money for "other stuff."

Hard numbers wise? Last year was our First PAX, (also our vacation.) So boiling it down to only the PAX days and only looking at "T-shirts, games etc." (i.e. no food, extra Tylenol I needed, or what have you.): I'd guess we spent maybe $200 on stuff (for 2 people). BUT, that's because we blew some $100 on Steve Jackson Games stuff (remember that impluse purchase I mentioned earlier? Plus they were selling Axe Cop, and we got it signed). Plus 2 PAX T-shirts and some Halofest stuff. IIRC we brought $100 in cash (and if anyone thinks of robbing me, you'll be sorely out of luck because it stayed in the hotel safe.) and spent 0 of it at PAX proper* (instead using credit Cards, debit cards and the like.)

*I may have bought food, or coffee, or something with this cash, because some of it was spent, but not on the souvenier type stuff. Don't skip carrying cash!

• Options
    yaddle13yaddle13 Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    When I opened the envelope for my passes yesterday, I found that there was only one three-day pass inside instead of the two that I ordered. Called the Interactive Ticketing folks, but they were already closed for the weekend. I'm going to call back Monday to try to get this sorted out.

Is anyone else in the same boat? If so, I would be happy to pass on the information in my call on Monday.

yaddle13 on
  • Options
    You may also want to email pax_questions@paxsite.com to see if they can help you. I've also reached out to @Official_Pax on twitter before for help (but they're busy and less responsive currently. Plus they may just point you back to the email.)

• Options
    BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    How fast does the Convention Center Parking usually fill up? Any advice on what time someone should show up to get a parking space? I use a wheelchair and need parking with easy access to the Convention Center.

This discussion has been closed.