As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    question, no airsoft weapons of any kind even if they are disabled? right?
    how about airsoft weapons that are broken in pieces?
    Can you give more details on what you intend to bring? Maybe pictures?
    Well its' going to be similar to the gun dismantled here
    mb20xz.jpg
    Cause when i made a blue print of my OC, there was one concept where he is wielding a completed dismantled gun
    The inside will be removed and the barrel will have a u shape pointing down wards
    Dismantled is different from broken. While I can't say for certain that it will or won't pass all checks, I would recommend you not bring it.
    Define "wielding" and I should have a more definitive answer than @dyaballikl can provide.

Like there will be no trigger on the inside, the trigger, instead the trigger will be attached to the outside, giving the war torn affect. More onto the trigger Also the barrel pointing downward would give a person whose looking at it a feel that its destroyed and cannot be used.
    ill post up the blue print once i am done so you would have a better understanding

To me that just sounds like "deactivated airsoft".

• Options
    (DN)Bow Master(DN)Bow Master Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    ^not entirely if you destroy the whole gun, rendering it useless. Mutating it in short.
    Making it unrecognizable to be a gun nor something else entirely, I'm already taking it apart, once i complete i will post here and see what you guy think whether its a pass or not
    Update: Mutilating the barrel, trigger has been set aside. butt stock removed.

(DN)Bow Master on
  • Options
    ^not entirely if you destroy the whole gun, rendering it useless. Mutating it in short.
    Making it unrecognizable to be a gun nor something else entirely, I'm already taking it apart, once i complete i will post here and see what you guy think whether its a pass or not
    Update: Mutilating the barrel, trigger has been set aside. butt stock removed.

When you get that far, please take this discussion back to the costumes thread.

• Options
    ^alright

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    mb20xz.jpg
    Cause when i made a blue print of my OC, there was one concept where he is wielding a completed dismantled gun
    The inside will be removed and the barrel will have a u shape pointing down wards
    Dismantled is different from broken. While I can't say for certain that it will or won't pass all checks, I would recommend you not bring it.
    Define "wielding" and I should have a more definitive answer than @dyaballikl can provide.

Like there will be no trigger on the inside, the trigger, instead the trigger will be attached to the outside, giving the war torn affect. More onto the trigger Also the barrel pointing downward would give a person whose looking at it a feel that its destroyed and cannot be used.
    ill post up the blue print once i am done so you would have a better understanding
    391177_475352132476092_1571920473_n.jpg
    crap... MS.... >.<
    I can visualize that pretty well. I'm pretty sure the Security Team will still say "No" for that.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Since the schedule was posted, how cool/important is the Keyonote? This will be my first PAX/trip to Seattle and because I plan on living there and going to UDUB and won't be in the area again until next PAX I'm trying to schedule a campus tour. The only problem is the fact that the tours only take place at 10:30am and 2:30pm. So I'm going to have to miss either the Keynote or the AC3 panel. So yeah how cool is the keynote and should i go to it since this is my first PAX?

• Options
    sanovah wrote: »
    Since the schedule was posted, how cool/important is the Keyonote? This will be my first PAX/trip to Seattle and because I plan on living there and going to UDUB and won't be in the area again until next PAX I'm trying to schedule a campus tour. The only problem is the fact that the tours only take place at 10:30am and 2:30pm. So I'm going to have to miss either the Keynote or the AC3 panel. So yeah how cool is the keynote and should i go to it since this is my first PAX?

It really depends. I personally suggest that first time paxers *should* see the keynote, and the Penny Arcade Q&A that follows it (without clearing the theater) just to get into the vibe of pax... however, everyone is different and YMMV.

• Options
    mb20xz.jpg

391177_475352132476092_1571920473_n.jpg
    crap... MS.... >.<
    I can visualize that pretty well. I'm pretty sure the Security Team will still say "No" for that.

Apparently i wont be bringing it after all since. *face desk* every small parts came out and i duno how to put it back together again...

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

It really depends. I personally suggest that first time paxers *should* see the keynote, and the Penny Arcade Q&A that follows it (without clearing the theater) just to get into the vibe of pax... however, everyone is different and YMMV.

FWIW, as a first timer I skipped the Keynote last year, it didn't really interest me (and went to the opening of Halofest instead and scored the cool megablocks sets.) This year I'll likely switch it up though and keynote it. (not so sure about the Q&A personally, was at the one they did in STL during the book tour, it was fun, and I'm sure these are too, but I'd rather be out and about at that point.)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    What kind of vendors are there usually at PAX? Like for example i just went to San Diego Comic Con and found a couple old rare gundam models and such since it was a comic/tv/anime convention. So since PAX is a gaming convention any chance/what's the likelihood I'll be able to find and buy any old/rare video games? Or are there even any vendors at PAX?

sanovah on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There are a few vendors, but shopping is hardly the focus. Pink Gorilla usually has a booth to sell their wares, so you'll likely find some old games there, but rare...maybe not so much.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    saveriansaverian Registered User regular
    Hey, i went to Rezzed here in England recently and while Panel A would start at 1PM and Panel B would start at 2PM the panels were actually only allowed 45 minutes. Is there an official time required between one panel ending and another beginning in the same hall? Trying to plan panel timings out.

• Options
    saverian wrote: »
    Hey, i went to Rezzed here in England recently and while Panel A would start at 1PM and Panel B would start at 2PM the panels were actually only allowed 45 minutes. Is there an official time required between one panel ending and another beginning in the same hall? Trying to plan panel timings out.

In most cases you'll want to be in line for Panel B well before Panel A lets out anyway. Last year I tried to leave at least 45 mintues of line waiting between panels (more for popular panels). Unless of course you're unconcerned about what seat (if any) you get.
    As far as an answer to your question directly, IIRC they leave just enough time to clear the room (10 minutes maybe?)

• Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Previous years the sponsors were posted MONTHS before PAX and was usually the one of the first things announced. Am i blind and dont see the sponsors on the new site or have they not announced them yet???

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    Previous years the sponsors were posted MONTHS before PAX and was usually the one of the first things announced. Am i blind and dont see the sponsors on the new site or have they not announced them yet???

They are not yet listed. Also please don't make a new thread just to ask a question, that's why we have a FAQ thread.

• Options
    nigholithnigholith Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    PaxDev isn't for the press or public, posting video kind of defeats that purpose.

GDC is for developers only, but they provide the majority of their content retroactively in video/audio/transcript to subscribers, and quite a bit of it for free at the GDC vault.

For aspiring developers like myself, being able to see/hear/read some of the talks would be incredibly beneficial. I'm actually rather surprised that I can't find any such content for PAXDev, hence why I'm here asking.

• Options
    nigholith wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    PaxDev isn't for the press or public, posting video kind of defeats that purpose.

GDC is for developers only, but they provide the majority of their content retroactively in video/audio/transcript to subscribers, and quite a bit of it for free at the GDC vault.

For aspiring developers like myself, being able to see/hear/read some of the talks would be incredibly beneficial. I'm actually rather surprised that I can't find any such content for PAXDev, hence why I'm here asking.

I think PAXDev actually has a strict no-recording policy for their panels. I could be completely wrong though, but I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I think PAXDev actually has a strict no-recording policy for their panels. I could be completely wrong though, but I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Jeez, you're right. Infact looking at the policy page you're not even allowed to blog/tweet/generally talk online about events, unless otherwise expressly granted permission. Ostensibly to "Focus entirely on their trade in a safe and comfortable environment", but incidentally also having the side-effect of forcing anybody to experience the talks in any way, shape, or form, to purchase a ticket for $250 >_>

Interesting that GDC is more progressive, despite being far more established.

nigholith on
  • Options

Jeez, you're right. Infact looking at the policy page you're not even aloud to blog/tweet/generally talk online about events, unless otherwise expressly granted permission. Ostensibly to "Focus entirely on their trade in a safe and comfortable environment", but incidentally also having the side-effect of forcing anybody to experience the talks in any way, shape, or form, to purchase a ticket for $250 >_>

Or it could be that they want a different experience at PAXDev. Either way, if you have feedback, please provide it in the post-pax suggestions thread and/or survey.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

Jeez, you're right. Infact looking at the policy page you're not even allowed to blog/tweet/generally talk online about events, unless otherwise expressly granted permission. Ostensibly to "Focus entirely on their trade in a safe and comfortable environment", but incidentally also having the side-effect of forcing anybody to experience the talks in any way, shape, or form, to purchase a ticket for $250 >_>

PAXDev isn't meant to be "an experience." It's meant to be a place where Devs can get away from everyone and have their own organized discussions, trade ideas, etc. away from all the media whoring and public trolling. GDC's open nature forces the attendees to be far more guarded with their words because it's open to the public and thusly open to the massive tidal wave of internet stupidity. Besides, GDC is a much more involved event with very different goals, comparing it to PAXDev is pretty unfair.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

PAXDev isn't meant to be "an experience." It's meant to be a place where Devs can get away from everyone and have their own organized discussions, trade ideas, etc. away from all the media whoring and public trolling. GDC's open nature forces the attendees to be far more guarded with their words because it's open to the public and thusly open to the massive tidal wave of internet stupidity. Besides, GDC is a much more involved event with very different goals, comparing it to PAXDev is pretty unfair.

I could write reams on why holding such an event in the shadows is damaging to the industry in a number of ways; and perhaps I should in a more appropriate topic thread. But from what I've read of both GDC and PAXDev, their objectives seem very similar — to share industry ideas through speaking events and discussion, to network developers to sponsors/investors/each other, and to stimulate development. Since the only two differences between the events objectives I can find are that PAXDev doesn't recognise developer achievements in the vein of the GDC awards, and PAXDev is held behind closed doors — I don't find it in the least unfair to compare the two.

nigholith on
  • Options

I could write reams on why holding such an event in the shadows is damaging to the industry in a number of ways; and perhaps I should in a more appropriate topic thread. But from what I've read of both GDC and PAXDev, their objectives seem very similar — to share industry ideas through speaking events and discussion, to network developers to sponsors/investors/each other, and to stimulate development. Since the only two differences between the events objectives I can find are that PAXDev doesn't recognise developer achievements in the vein of the GDC awards, and PAXDev is held behind closed doors — I don't find it in the least unfair to compare the two.

This is not a discussion thread. Let's call this an ending.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    actually decided more answers would be good

How much would you guys say your on average spend on merchandise at PAX? Since I found out/was told PAX isn't like most cons(Comic con) and doesn't have a lot of vendors I'm now debating scaling back my spending budget and buying myself a 3ds for the trip. So yeah since PAX apparently doesn't have a bunch of vendors that will want all my money how much do you guys normally bring/spend and how much would you recommend? Before I found out that it wasn't like comic con I was planing on bringing like $300 for food and stuff

sanovah on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll buy a PAX shirt every year from the PA merch booth and then usually some stuff from Bandland so it ends up being like 100 for goodies, but this is very much ymmv. There are a lot of people selling tabletop games, there's almost always a vendor selling old school video games, and guys like Capcom usually have store section where you can get everything ranging from replica Nero swords to TE sticks.

For food, no matter what trip, I always plan on 50 a day. 2-300 is a pretty fair budget if you aren't pinched for cash so you can go to restaurants and not eat fast food/con food the whole time. If you don't give a fuck about what you're eating so long as you're eating you can shrink that down to 20 a day or so. There are Subways nearby (don't bother waiting for the one in the center, that's a giant waste of time) and the convention has a little mini-mart thingy inside that sells sammiches and con pizza. So with food at 60 that still leaves you 40 to spend on vendor stuff.

If you're going to the TWDT then kiss any semblance of a budget goodbye. :lol:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I'll buy a PAX shirt every year from the PA merch booth and then usually some stuff from Bandland so it ends up being like 100 for goodies, but this is very much ymmv. There are a lot of people selling tabletop games, there's almost always a vendor selling old school video games, and guys like Capcom usually have store section where you can get everything ranging from replica Nero swords to TE sticks.

For food, no matter what trip, I always plan on 50 a day. 2-300 is a pretty fair budget if you aren't pinched for cash so you can go to restaurants and not eat fast food/con food the whole time. If you don't give a fuck about what you're eating so long as you're eating you can shrink that down to 20 a day or so. There are Subways nearby (don't bother waiting for the one in the center, that's a giant waste of time) and the convention has a little mini-mart thingy inside that sells sammiches and con pizza. So with food at 60 that still leaves you 40 to spend on vendor stuff.

If you're going to the TWDT then kiss any semblance of a budget goodbye. :lol:

TWDT?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    well its a good thing im only 20 then. Does PAX ever post a list of the vendors that will be there? Like i said im trying to budget, and if i know who'll be there they'll change how much money i bring

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    well its a good thing im only 20 then. Does PAX ever post a list of the vendors that will be there? Like i said im trying to budget, and if i know who'll be there they'll change how much money i bring

I'm not gonna lie, I don't spend a lot on merch myself at PAX either. After 3 PAXes, I don't even think I've hit $200 (2 hoodies, 2 shirts, 2 CDs, 1 scarf, a couple of small things from the Behemoth).

It's really only the smaller devs and the PAX merch you have to worry about, most booths don't have anything to buy.

Then again though, this was all PAX East... Prime could be a bit different (though I don't expect it to be by much)

• Options
    edited August 2012

There will be a full con map going up before PAX that will list who's out there but I don't think it lists who's actually selling things.

However just going from my past three years of PAXing: Usually the skylighty sorta area that joins the two main expo halls is where most of the people selling stuff congregate so if someone is listed in there, they probably have merch. PA has a merch booth that sells shirts and other PA stuff (books, etc.), the fine gents and ladies at Band Land are usually selling shirts and autographed merch, and Capcom has a vendor section every year. There's also almost always an outfit that sells old school video games that has made a consistent appearance and The Behemoth and Uber Entertainment (assuming they're here again) usually has stuff available. Oh, and any tabletop booths tend to be selling stuff (i.e. WotC).

That's at least what I can remember off the top of my head. For the most part, the majority of booths don't have anything to sell. PAX is a pretty merch-lite event. It's not like Tim Schaffer is there signing foot tall Guybrush Threepwood action figures for 50 bucks a pop or anything (Dear Tim Schaffer: I would totally buy this).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

We skipped the keynote at East and are planning to skip again at Prime. We watched the keynote from East online so we don't feel like we missed much. I think it's a must do if you are a fan/follower of whoever is speaking.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options

For the more popular panels you will be inline before Panel A even starts. I know we were in line 3 hours ahead for the Giant Bomb panel at East.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Is the Blackberry Guidebook app ready? Couldn't find it in the lists.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    saveriansaverian Registered User regular

For the more popular panels you will be inline before Panel A even starts. I know we were in line 3 hours ahead for the Giant Bomb panel at East.

Is that if you want a seat at all or just a seat near the front? Would a seat near the back necessarily be that bad at PAX? Final question I swear, has anybody in the past made a list of estimated popularity/queue time for a panel? Beyond stuff like the obvious Double Fine Adventure panel and Acquisitions Incorporated, I wouldn't have a clue quite how popular some of the smaller panels I'd like to hit up would be.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Is that if you want a seat at all or just a seat near the front? Would a seat near the back necessarily be that bad at PAX? Final question I swear, has anybody in the past made a list of estimated popularity/queue time for a panel? Beyond stuff like the obvious Double Fine Adventure panel and Acquisitions Incorporated, I wouldn't have a clue quite how popular some of the smaller panels I'd like to hit up would be.

It was less about being in the front and more about making sure we were going to be able to get in. They cut off the line once it gets to room capacity. We started lining up 3 hours ahead for GB because we watched #pax_lines on twitter and saw it was starting to fill up.

Good rule of thumb is plan to be there about an hour ahead but keep your eye on twitter about 2-3 hours before it starts so make sure the line isn't filling up.

adias.angel on
  • Options
    The absolute best thing to do is follow http://twitter.com/pax_lines for live line updates. Put it on SMS alert so that you're more likely to get the updates right away. I agree with @adias.angel that planning for an hour is probably the best bet, but you can always swing by the queue area for a particular panel at that hour mark and see if it's starting to fill up or not.

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »

In most cases you'll want to be in line for Panel B well before Panel A lets out anyway. Last year I tried to leave at least 45 mintues of line waiting between panels (more for popular panels). Unless of course you're unconcerned about what seat (if any) you get.
    As far as an answer to your question directly, IIRC they leave just enough time to clear the room (10 minutes maybe?)
    There is usually 30 minutes scheduled between panels so they can clear the room and let in the line. The line is nearly always full and capped before the previous panel has completed. It's hard to see given the new schedule format on the website, but the 30 minutes between all panels in the Satellite Theatres (all of the theatres other than Main Theatre) is there.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    tsrblke wrote: »

There is usually 30 minutes scheduled between panels so they can clear the room and let in the line. The line is nearly always full and capped before the previous panel has completed. It's hard to see given the new schedule format on the website, but the 30 minutes between all panels in the Satellite Theatres (all of the theatres other than Main Theatre) is there.

Yeah I took a stab at that last part, sorry I was wrong. I guess I didn't really think about the fact that you're letting people in before the panel is actually scheduled to start (which is so obvious when you think about it I dunno how I missed it.) In any case, point still remains, the line fills up fast, prepare to wait if you certainly want to be in a panel. (For last year's popular panels, I got in line as soon as it opened, just a short time after they load the room and clear the line for the previous panel. This year I'm taking a more "eh? if I miss it oh well." approach using PAX lines to judge my time.)

• Options
    anaxareteanaxarete Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but could someone elaborate on the vehement 'YES' to bringing a DS to PAX? I've been vacillating on whether to buy a 3DS for a while now, but if it would significantly improve my first time at PAX I'll probably go for it.

Also, is it at all worth it to bring a laptop to the convention itself?

• Options
    ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    actually decided more answers would be good

How much would you guys say your on average spend on merchandise at PAX? Since I found out/was told PAX isn't like most cons(Comic con) and doesn't have a lot of vendors I'm now debating scaling back my spending budget and buying myself a 3ds for the trip. So yeah since PAX apparently doesn't have a bunch of vendors that will want all my money how much do you guys normally bring/spend and how much would you recommend? Before I found out that it wasn't like comic con I was planing on bringing like $300 for food and stuff

I spend around 40 for food a day, around 50 for random stuff, shirts retro games, toys, and I play magic tournaments and that costs around 40-50 a day. Then I set around a hundred to two hundred for pax exclusives, headphones, fight stick, etc. I've been going for around 8-10 years and every year I seem to spend a little more on stuff I don't need. You can do everything on 50 a day if you're ok with subway outside and mcdonalds at west lake and a shirt, not that you don't get enough free ones and no drinking though and you'll probably still have as much fun as I do.

• Options
    anaxarete wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but could someone elaborate on the vehement 'YES' to bringing a DS to PAX? I've been vacillating on whether to buy a 3DS for a while now, but if it would significantly improve my first time at PAX I'll probably go for it.

Also, is it at all worth it to bring a laptop to the convention itself?

As far as the DS goes, it's a multiplayer madhouse in any of the super busy areas, especially the Handheld Lounge. You'll see people with them out in the food areas, the queue room, the long lines for concerts or really popular panels, etc. Honestly I haven't actually played my DS at pax for awhile, but that's because I no longer go to things where you have to wait in any semblance of a line. If you're CONSTANTLY moving around and going from one place to another, you probably won't be playing your DS much... but if you plan on chilling out in the handheld lounge, or going to popular panels/concerts with fair sized lines, it's an awesome thing to have.

As far as the laptop goes... no, I wouldn't bring it to the actual con. There aren't a lot of good places or reasons to use one inside the convention itself. I usually keep a ratty laptop in my hotel room just for general nighttime PAX IRC, etc.

This discussion has been closed.