As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend Of Korra: Everything is going South

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    how

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I really liked the ending. I think it's powerful if you contrast it with
    the scene with Tarlok and Amon on the boat which mirrored the scene with Korra on the cliff at the end. In both scenes the characters seemed to have no hope for the future. Tarlock and Amon having failed their life's work have nothing else to live for. And the realization that they had merely become tools for their farther, despite claiming not to want that. And Korra who no longer has her bending and (she assumes) her status as Avatar has lost her sense of identity and purpose. In the first Tarlok and Amon (by not stopping Tarlock) committed suicide. In Korra's case she decides to move forward (after presumably briefly contemplating suicide). I think it's rather telling that Tarlock and Amon's scene is immediately followed by the scene where Katara announces she can't help Korra, and Korra runs away. All three characters were at the same point emotionally.

That scene with Korra really resonated with me. It's not just "awww she's sad....avatar unlocked." Yeah, she's sad, but more than that she's definitely in a state of despair. Even ignoring the possible suicide angle, she is still in a pretty terrible place emotionally and spiritually. She's had her sense of identity and self taken from her. She doesn't know what to do, what she's supposed to do now, and that certainly causes ones self to look inward and do some soul searching. Certainly makes sense to me that she would connect with her spiritual self through such an ordeal.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I like the idea a shady person in avatar world is called a weasel-snake

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I like the idea a shady person in avatar world is called Shady Shin

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    they have a whole 'nother season to break this romance

gonna keep crossing my fingers

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Anyways did anyone mention the scariest thing in this show? Episode 10
    The fake exterminators who caught the Fire Nation Representative said they were their for SPIDER-RATS.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE SPIDERHYPHENRATS

I dare not search for fanart

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Lieutenant gets voted onto the council.

RE:The ending
    I just want to be the first to say it since it was said well in the last thread.

The boat ride ends the way it does because Tarlokk sees that he and Noatak were twisted by their father to become instruments of revenge and were so twisted that when they ran away, they still wound up following his path. \
    Tarlock struck hard at non benders because he saw them as a threat and he reacted to that threat. He realized i the end that his father's teaching made him react the way he did.

Amon's philosophy was based on fighting evil benders like his father but somewhere along the way it got twisted, either because of his father or because of the spirit world, he became the monster of vengeance his father wanted.

As the boat speeds away from the city, Tarlokk and Noatak slip back into those childhood roles they once had and realize how broken they are. Not only that, how dangerous they are. Naotak knew who his brother was and still took his bending. Tarlokk, even if he got his bending back, would still act in a cruel and vicious manner. No matter where they went or who they became, they would be Yakone's sons in flesh and in action.

In the end, Tarlokk didn't want that. And maybe Naotak could sense him through the bloodbending and didn't want that either.

Dang
    :,|

That really was an excellent scene.

Also, some folk have wondered how it is that that little boat made such a huge explosion, but there's an easy explanation.
    The gas tank was family sized

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I want to watch the finale :( but i slept in this morning

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    No Ponies OR Korra on Saturdays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKss2uYpih8

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    I like how the fanbase pretends like the Lieutenant was a major character.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Some people would probably call me a hypocrite after all my complaining about the last finale but
    The only issue I have with the end is how quickly it happens after Katara tries. Shoulda been a slight time skip.

the answer however appeals to me.

Someone in the last thread claimed that this was the first time an Avatar state guy has done something like this, completely without assistance from the current Avatar but that isn't true. That sort of thing is how Aang survived the iceburg.

Symmetry.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The fake exterminators who caught the Fire Nation Representative said they were their for SPIDER-RATS.

Somehow this managed to slip under my radar of things that I never ever want to think about.

Thanks for fixing that.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »
    I really liked the ending. I think it's powerful if you contrast it with
    the scene with Tarlok and Amon on the boat which mirrored the scene with Korra on the cliff at the end. In both scenes the characters seemed to have no hope for the future. Tarlock and Amon having failed their life's work have nothing else to live for. And the realization that they had merely become tools for their farther, despite claiming not to want that. And Korra who no longer has her bending and (she assumes) her status as Avatar has lost her sense of identity and purpose. In the first Tarlok and Amon (by not stopping Tarlock) committed suicide. In Korra's case she decides to move forward (after presumably briefly contemplating suicide). I think it's rather telling that Tarlock and Amon's scene is immediately followed by the scene where Katara announces she can't help Korra, and Korra runs away. All three characters were at the same point emotionally.

That scene with Korra really resonated with me. It's not just "awww she's sad....avatar unlocked." Yeah, she's sad, but more than that she's definitely in a state of despair. Even ignoring the possible suicide angle, she is still in a pretty terrible place emotionally and spiritually. She's had her sense of identity and self taken from her. She doesn't know what to do, what she's supposed to do now, and that certainly causes ones self to look inward and do some soul searching. Certainly makes sense to me that she would connect with her spiritual self through such an ordeal.
    I really like this. I didn't realize those two scenes were so similar in how they felt for the characters.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Somehow this managed to slip under my radar of things that I never ever want to think about.

Thanks for fixing that.
    It's a rat, bitten by a radioactive bending spider

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Well, they did fight him a lot more often than they fought Amon.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    So i just saw this!
    Part of me would have really liked to see Korra able to airbend only, but have Aang tell her she's still the Avatar and have the next season explain what that really means. But hey, this really isn't that bad, just a little quick for my tastes. The whole short season thing didn't really seem to be as good in my eyes, but i understand why they did it and i'm fine with it.

Everything else was pretty fucking amazing though. Especially Tarlokk and Naotomi's last scene, which was probably the biggest holy shit moment in a finale full of them.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I dare not search for fanart

oh dear

does that mean that mental problems in the Avatar world are brain-spider-rats?

This was a really good show, by the way. Very solid finale, very satisfying. A few parts made me very wary at the start when they were revealed, but the way the show ended up handling those parts in the end was enough for me to discard my wariness entirely.

Really, really, really good.

Yes.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well, they did fight him a lot more often than they fought Amon.

Shocky shock tonfa man is the new cabbage merchant as far as Im concerned.

He is owned exponentially harder in every appearance he makes.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Any problems with the pacing being too quick were more than made up for by the fact that the animation was fantastic throughout.
    Seriously, this was such a beautiful series. More episodes would have been nice, but I doubt a 24 ep season would have looked as good. That is a trade off I am happy with, especially as we get another season to delve into character stuff more.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Really great show, shame the ending was so rushed.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So, finally got to watch the DVR'd finale.

The bad:
    The resolution was a tiny bit rushed.

I finally had my suspension of disbelief broken re: Amon and Sato's wonderful toys. Everything else I could buy, with the possible exception of the large number of mechs, though they didn't appear to be platinum after their first appearance. A rear firing bola cannon designed specifically to stop propeller engines? In the same situation as Amon and Sato were in, Batman would reject that as "Too much design time, situation too unlikely to crop up, too little chance of success when it does."

I don't mind Korra betraying a friend's trust and Mako cheating on his girlfriend--there is at least one more season for them to have some consideration smacked into them--quite as much as the others, if only because the music, for their brief mackin', shifted to a minor key, rather than being accompanied by the continued celebratory music from the previous part of the scene. But still, annoying. Yes, yes, life-affirming power of love, teenagers are stupid in most matters, bullshit. Make their joyful decision to be douchebags a separate scene, not the coda to the scene where she (not explicit, but an interpretation from the previous thread that I like) decided not to commit suicide and her soul healed itself as a result.

The good:
    Everything else. Seriously, it all added up. "Why all that time spent on Tarlokk if he's just taken out at the end of the ep? Why did Korra's past lives try to tell her about Yakone, not Amon?" Almost every question anyone ever had about the main plot was answered. Incredible action. Great acting, as always. Shit we've never seen before. And a touch of Mice and Men in the end.

And special mention to the ending scenes, with the small exceptions mentioned above. Right in the feels.

This was worth every second of my life I have spent watching it (and re-watching it).

The wait for the next season will be every bit as agonizing as the wait between seasons of Game Of Thrones.

Mako and Asami
    Their goodbye to each other before they went on the mission read like an acknowledgement like their relationship was over

"I'm sorry things got so messed up between us. I just want you to know that, whatever happens, I'll always care about you."

"I'll always care about you, too. *affectionate but chaste kiss on the cheek*"

Granted they (the writers) could have been more explicit in that part, but that's how it seemed to me: Korra and Mako weren't betraying Asami. Mako and Asami had ended their relationship amicably and like adults, like miniature versions of Tenzin and Lin

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    great season and dynamite finale

• Options
    man I teared up just a bit at that one part
    with aang and the other avatars behind him

it really hit me just how much korra has been cut off from this huge part of herself

this giant element of her identity stretching back through the ages

and then it was like, no

we were here beside you all along

we were waiting for you

• Options
    That's some good feels, Skull Man

Also after the finale I think Naga is legitimately more bad-ass than Appa was

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I've been trying to convince emily all season that naga was awesome but it took naga slapping someone to the ground in mid-air last episode for her to finally come around

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So, thank you MrDapper for putting the link to the Nick site. I've been hearing great things about this, but being in australia and all it's a bit hard to find anywhere where I can actually watch the show.

So that's all pretty cool. Looking forward to getting into this.

Edit: not five seconds after I post this, I go to actually watch the first episode, and it's not available in my country. Fuck.

Does anyone know if there's a way to legitimately watch this in australia online?

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Looking through the Art of the Avatar Universe book, I notice a couple of things

1. Koh isn't in here

2. In some early sketches, Aang has a polar bear dog for a companion. That's pretty neat.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So, thank you MrDapper for putting the link to the Nick site. I've been hearing great things about this, but being in australia and all it's a bit hard to find anywhere where I can actually watch the show.

So that's all pretty cool. Looking forward to getting into this.

Edit: not five seconds after I post this, I go to actually watch the first episode, and it's not available in my country. Fuck.

Does anyone know if there's a way to legitimately watch this in australia online?

Nope, everyone who is not in America is boned. It sucks.

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/idgpnmonknjnojddfkpgkljpfnnfcklj

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    man, Knob really didn't like the old thread apparently??

It uh, really took a nose dive while I was at work.

...I liked it, and most of my issues with it are explained by the fact that they didn't know they were getting a second season while working on it.

I did...not know that.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You didn't? Yeah, Nickelodeon ordered a second season basically right after they were done writing the first one.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/08/the-last-airbender-legend-of-korra-the-creators-speak/?KEY
    Nickelodeon had picked up “Korra” for 12 episodes but recently decided to order 14 more shows. “When we first starting talking to Nickelodeon about doing a new series in the ‘Avatar’ world, they asked if we could do shorter arcs—more like a show like ‘24’where there’s a specific villain or challenge for that particular season,” Konietzko says.

• Options
    Larlar wrote: »

...I liked it, and most of my issues with it are explained by the fact that they didn't know they were getting a second season while working on it.

I did...not know that.

Yeah. This was written as a stand-alone series. Originally this is all we were going to get. It's why there aren't any obvious plot hooks for the second season.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »

I did...not know that.

Yeah. This was written as a stand-alone series. Originally this is all we were going to get. It's why there aren't any obvious plot hooks for the second season.

Yeah, I have the feeling that the ending would've been significantly less rushed if they were able to leave some stuff up in the air for next season.

As it is, I quite enjoyed the finale and I can't wait to see more. In particular, I really hope Asami and Bolin get more to do next season. Asami went from being basically a non-entity to a giant badass in nothing flat.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    finale
    it does excuse the seeming finality of the ending episode, but they still tried to cram like 21 episodes of plot into 12

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was what I got too.

I liked the ending, but so much stuff happened in such a small frame it seemed like they were just trying to make sure everything got in there.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What I imagine Bryan and Mike's faces looked like when Nickelodeon surprised them with a longer second season:

6605932LQJ_o.jpg

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    So how the hell did Naga
    get past invisible electrified forcefield?

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    by just not giving a fuck

This discussion has been closed.