As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend Of Korra: Everything is going South

Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri LibrarianRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Social Entropy++
tumblr_m5jowilOm91rptk5lo1_1280.jpg

Legend of Korra is what happens when you combine Batman: The Animated Series, Baccano and the original Avatar: The Last Airbender. It features Korra, the new Avatar as she deals with the problems of the spiritual world of the past clashes with the new technological advances. Together she has adventures with her friends Bolin, Mako, Asami, her teacher Tenzin and police chief Lin Beifong.

Season one is now over. Season two begins sometime in the future. We don't know. Hopefully this year. Also I just saw someone un-ironically compare the Avatar finale to The Phantom Menace.

You can watch the episodes here officially.

2ohWien.png
Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
Ms Dapper on

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man, Knob really didn't like the old thread apparently??

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

It got pretty goosey near the end

I still hold incredibly high hopes for seasons 2 and 3

Forty episodes devoted to an overarching spirit-based plot

That's what I want the most

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    No one likes a thread that goes 100 pages.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Haters will inevitably hate.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    oh hey Dapper, you should put the link to watch the show on Nick.com in the OP

http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos?navid=showNav

they have all ten previously aired episodes up to watch for free!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It uh, really took a nose dive while I was at work.

...I liked it, and most of my issues with it are explained by the fact that they didn't know they were getting a second season while working on it.

• Options
    God I love the fact that Iroh explains, in a mystical way, that firebenders can control electron differences in the air

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    the electron is the yin, and the proton is the yang?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    No Ponies OR Korra on Saturdays.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    You know what forget it I think this is probably a bad line of conversation

If we go down this path we might end up trying to figure out the role of Aristotlean elements in this universe's physics

And then Knob will be proven right for all time

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about the Equalist ideals. What was getting to me wasthe advance of tech was pretty much going to get Amon what he wanted without the need to do anything, really.
    Especially with this last episode, if they have planes now, who cares that airbenders can fly, so can anybody. The firebender focus gun things, I don't know. They may lead to real guns, they may not, time will tell on that one. I can see benders getting shoved into more and more menial labor, especially earthbenders.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

now i want positron bending

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I guess its because it is a PG show but I'm surprised we didn't get someone using bloodbending to crush someone to death.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I guess its because it is a PG show but I'm surprised we didn't get someone using bloodbending to crush someone to death.

Well
    Yakone very nearly did it to Aang - that shit was nightmarish

And I'm not sure but Amon might have killed the lieutenant

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well
    Yakone very nearly did it to Aang - that shit was nightmarish

And I'm not sure but Amon might have killed the lieutenant

the lieutenant survived
    a 40 ft fall into a thicket of trees / bushes after Naga slapped him silly

I'm sure he survived being thrown into a small pile of 2x4s

• Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    You know for as much as Amon hated bending...
    He sure did BEND the truth about his origins.
    :P

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    finale
    the lieutenant has to survive, because he has to get a name and personality and become an antagonist leading the equalists in season 2

also if amon was a waterbender all along where did the equalists pick up chiblocking

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

something something MAGNETO

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

something something MAGNETO

positrons are antiparticles, duder

• Options
    We definitely need more spirit stuff

So much more spirit stuff

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    yes yes

<- physicist

wasn't there something that said magneto controls the electromagnetic and therefore electroweak forces?

• Options
    maaaaaybe? i wasn't aware.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    wait what different firebending style?
    maybe he means the amplified firebending because of the comet?

no they learn a different form in the firebending masters

it's a couple episodes before the finale

like i actually think two

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Lieutenant gets voted onto the council.

RE:The ending
    I just want to be the first to say it since it was said well in the last thread.

The boat ride ends the way it does because Tarlokk sees that he and Noatak were twisted by their father to become instruments of revenge and were so twisted that when they ran away, they still wound up following his path. \
    Tarlock struck hard at non benders because he saw them as a threat and he reacted to that threat. He realized i the end that his father's teaching made him react the way he did.

Amon's philosophy was based on fighting evil benders like his father but somewhere along the way it got twisted, either because of his father or because of the spirit world, he became the monster of vengeance his father wanted.

As the boat speeds away from the city, Tarlokk and Noatak slip back into those childhood roles they once had and realize how broken they are. Not only that, how dangerous they are. Naotak knew who his brother was and still took his bending. Tarlokk, even if he got his bending back, would still act in a cruel and vicious manner. No matter where they went or who they became, they would be Yakone's sons in flesh and in action.

In the end, Tarlokk didn't want that. And maybe Naotak could sense him through the bloodbending and didn't want that either.

• Options
    My wife is hopping around the original series almost at random, it's interesting because she's picking episodes she likes but it's really disorienting

I've just been reminded that firebending basically is chi-bending, and Iroh says so

Also I've jsut been reminded that one of my favorite scenes in the original series is when Aang sees Katara surrounded, and he's jsut come to terms with his love for her, and he has to choose between saving her and taking the time to unlock his chakras

And he lets her go

It's very good, almost heartrending. I couldn't have made that kind of choice as a young man in love

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I thought all bending was chi-bending as it were?

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It is in a sense, but firebending seems closest to the root since the energy for it and the element come from within the bender

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    but didn't Iroh say that lightning-bending, just like water-bending, is actually about manipulating the flow of chi through the body?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    but didn't Iroh say that lightning-bending, just like water-bending, is actually about manipulating the flow of chi through the body?

that was for redirecting lightning. channeling the energy through the body, from one arm, into the gut, back up to the other arm, and out.

then again, for Iroh, he redirected lots of things to his gut, oh ho ho
    yeah yeah i know he got badass again in prison

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    yes yes

<- physicist

wasn't there something that said magneto controls the electromagnetic and therefore electroweak forces?
    That never really held water for me. I mean, electricity and magnetism are essentially different forms of the same thing, and I'd accept Magneto doing electric shit (although I don't think he ever does), but the weak nuclear force doesn't merge with electromagnetism under normal conditions. If Magneto were in an area of appropriate energy density or whatever the requirements are, then sure, he could use the weak force, but frankly I don't see him surviving it in the first place.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

that was for redirecting lightning. channeling the energy through the body, from one arm, into the gut, back up to the other arm, and out.

then again, for Iroh, he redirected lots of things to his gut, oh ho ho
    yeah yeah i know he got badass again in prison
    Being in prison gives you a whole new way to redirect things to your gut

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    its true, pure electroweak interactions could really only take place at crazy high temperatures, but then I figure, y'know, comic books

but anyway, electromagnetism can act through positrons (as they are by definition electrically charged particles)

but still the original post was a joke so...

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So, finally got to watch the DVR'd finale.

The bad:
    The resolution was a tiny bit rushed.

I finally had my suspension of disbelief broken re: Amon and Sato's wonderful toys. Everything else I could buy, with the possible exception of the large number of mechs, though they didn't appear to be platinum after their first appearance. A rear firing bola cannon designed specifically to stop propeller engines? In the same situation as Amon and Sato were in, Batman would reject that as "Too much design time, situation too unlikely to crop up, too little chance of success when it does."

I don't mind Korra betraying a friend's trust and Mako cheating on his girlfriend--there is at least one more season for them to have some consideration smacked into them--quite as much as the others, if only because the music, for their brief mackin', shifted to a minor key, rather than being accompanied by the continued celebratory music from the previous part of the scene. But still, annoying. Yes, yes, life-affirming power of love, teenagers are stupid in most matters, bullshit. Make their joyful decision to be douchebags a separate scene, not the coda to the scene where she (not explicit, but an interpretation from the previous thread that I like) decided not to commit suicide and her soul healed itself as a result.

The good:
    Everything else. Seriously, it all added up. "Why all that time spent on Tarlokk if he's just taken out at the end of the ep? Why did Korra's past lives try to tell her about Yakone, not Amon?" Almost every question anyone ever had about the main plot was answered. Incredible action. Great acting, as always. Shit we've never seen before. And a touch of Mice and Men in the end.

And special mention to the ending scenes, with the small exceptions mentioned above. Right in the feels.

This was worth every second of my life I have spent watching it (and re-watching it).

The wait for the next season will be every bit as agonizing as the wait between seasons of Game Of Thrones.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Lieutenant gets voted onto the council.

RE:The ending
    I just want to be the first to say it since it was said well in the last thread.

The boat ride ends the way it does because Tarlokk sees that he and Noatak were twisted by their father to become instruments of revenge and were so twisted that when they ran away, they still wound up following his path. \
    Tarlock struck hard at non benders because he saw them as a threat and he reacted to that threat. He realized i the end that his father's teaching made him react the way he did.

Amon's philosophy was based on fighting evil benders like his father but somewhere along the way it got twisted, either because of his father or because of the spirit world, he became the monster of vengeance his father wanted.

As the boat speeds away from the city, Tarlokk and Noatak slip back into those childhood roles they once had and realize how broken they are. Not only that, how dangerous they are. Naotak knew who his brother was and still took his bending. Tarlokk, even if he got his bending back, would still act in a cruel and vicious manner. No matter where they went or who they became, they would be Yakone's sons in flesh and in action.

In the end, Tarlokk didn't want that. And maybe Naotak could sense him through the bloodbending and didn't want that either.

Dang
    :,|

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It uh, really took a nose dive while I was at work.

...I liked it, and most of my issues with it are explained by the fact that they didn't know they were getting a second season while working on it.

Yeah people didn't seem to get that.

It's not like they could have stopped production and changed anything without having a riot on their hands.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So hmm. Just finished.
    my thoughts
    The boat: Daym. With a Y. I was...wow. That was like something out of a movie. Very brutal and emotional.
    I felt things wrapped up to convientantly, but it makes sense. Maybe if they had like 10 more minutes they could have shown Korra meditation trying to get her bending back, and summoning Aang, who helps rebond her to the elements and then teachers her to energy bend. Instead of the 30 second version we got. I'll just assume thats what actually happened.

All in all, I liked it. The series is so far not as great as the original, but its still really damned good

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Everyone's thoughts, apparently
    Anyways did anyone mention the scariest thing in this show? Episode 10
    The fake exterminators who caught the Fire Nation Representative said they were their for SPIDER-RATS.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE SPIDERHYPHENRATS

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Everyone's thoughts, apparently

uh who is everyone in this situation

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I dunno. I couldn't think of a funny intro for the picture, and it's related to some people's complaints of the finale.

jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.