As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job Thread] Help me hate/love my job by telling me how awesome/terrible yours is

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I start my job on Tuesday. I'm excited! Also somewhat trepidatious. I don't want to disappoint anybody, and have a serious case of imposter syndrome

sig.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    M.D. wrote: »
    Would someone here have the time to look over my resume, trying to make a general resume really and since its my first time wiring one so I would appreciate some feed back on it and tips!

Sure, I'll take a look. E-mail is in my profile.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    M.D. wrote: »
    Would someone here have the time to look over my resume, trying to make a general resume really and since its my first time wiring one so I would appreciate some feed back on it and tips!

Sure, I'll take a look. E-mail is in my profile.

thanks, i just sent it out.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Hey @Sal, I do work in Boston! I'm in the financial district. How about you?

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    can i have a job pretty please

mcdonalds has turned me down (and i worked there for 2 years)

tescos has rejected me (fucking TESCOS)

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

My job's right near North Station. I'm sitting on the green line to get there right now!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Avraham wrote: »
    just the idea of an internship fills me with fear and anxiety. how long do you have to work before you earn the right to be paid?

Any decent internship will pay you immediately. Unpaid internships are pretty much a scam. I don't care if there's some industries where that's expected, it's still a scam. We've got two programmer interns who are both paid.

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching, where YOU pay for the privilege of interning and then will probably not find a job afterwards

ah well

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Didge, how goes the teacher job searching...stuff?

M'lady pulled down two interviews so far. One in DC (big panel interview, cattle call style. 25 minutes on the clock and go. *ding* next person and or question) Didn't go well and such. Another that was a bit better, but she hasn't heard back yet. AND if they want her she'll have to get certified in Chem.

Teacher interviews seem to be an odd style of pain in the ass.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Not all that terrible actually, Zip, I'm just woe-is-me-ing for no good reason, heh. I actually have to take another test or two for New York before I can properly transfer my California credential so I can't really look for this upcoming school year. I'll have to wait until at least the spring. Here's hoping a couple teachers get knocked up and decide to stay home or quit after the fall!

I've applied to the nearby school districts to be a substitute for the fall though, just waiting on the interviews for those! Should be a pretty good gig, and relevant to my field.

Meanwhile I've been looking for some other type of job to tide me over. Have an interview tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear your lady's been having a rough time of it. A lot of the teachers I've known have said they spent at least one season searching for a job after they got their credentials, but they're all very happy and have stable careers now. Hang in there, guys!

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Sal wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

My job's right near North Station. I'm sitting on the green line to get there right now!

Pfft. Green line. I am sitting on the red line.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

how does this happen?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Not all that terrible actually, Zip, I'm just woe-is-me-ing for no good reason, heh. I actually have to take another test or two for New York before I can properly transfer my California credential so I can't really look for this upcoming school year. I'll have to wait until at least the spring. Here's hoping a couple teachers get knocked up and decide to stay home or quit after the fall!

I've applied to the nearby school districts to be a substitute for the fall though, just waiting on the interviews for those! Should be a pretty good gig, and relevant to my field.

Meanwhile I've been looking for some other type of job to tide me over. Have an interview tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear your lady's been having a rough time of it. A lot of the teachers I've known have said they spent at least one season searching for a job after they got their credentials, but they're all very happy and have stable careers now. Hang in there, guys!

Sweeeeeet. Glad to hear that it's going well. Or at least as well as it can with the whole credential transfer thing.

Yea, it's really not bad right now. She's just chilling and waiting to hear back. The side job for now is bartending until it's substitute teaching time.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck my jooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob

I am doing the job of four other people

literally. tech suport is four poeple, for the last two days I am the only one here

I cannot deal, there's just too much stuff going on

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Bleh, the first day back after time off always sucks. Even more so because someone rebooted my server last night with no heads up so none of the jobs that are scheduled to run automatically in the morning ran. Good times.

• Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    I am still busting my ass in a grocery store parking lot, pushing endless shopping carts around. Becoming super tan, fit, and sexy wasn't listed in the job perks, but it's worked out pretty well for me. They wanna make me a cashier, but technically have no openings, so upper management can't give them the go ahead.

A new VA office is supposed to open up over here in the next couple of months, I'm hoping I can get work there. Maybe even one that puts my freakin' Psych degree to use. It's hard not to feel above manual labor after 4 years of college, but I'm glad to just have a job.

Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options

how does this happen?

i am 27 and serially long-term unemployed

pretty much untouchable

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    So I thought that for a change I'd ask a client to offer a price, instead of letting him make me make an offer.
    Dude offered five times what I was going to ask for. It's for only a couple of minutes of work, so it's not much, but still, WTF.

I know nothing, Jon Snow.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    So being on vacation for a week and going back to works sucks ass.

Worst is the huge list of 90 emails I need to sift through to find the 4 or 5 that contain pertinent information I need for my actual job. It's like email Russian Roulette, only instead of bullets it's samples I need to analyze. The whole getting killed if you pick wrong thing still applies.

• Options
    Do they send you chemical samples over email? That's fascinating!

• Options
    90? heh.

Though, I do understand the need to sift and sort the bullshit from the important stuff. That's always the rub of being away for a bit.

I'm guessing that from the time I leave for Comic-Con on Wed morning till when I return on Monday morning I'll have something approaching 300+ emails waiting for me.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Ziplock, man, just pay me like £50 a day and gimme your email credentials, I'll sift for you while you're away.

Nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan! :rotate:

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    They send me email chains full of cryptic nonsense and misspellings detailing complex issues they are having with some product or raw material.

Then I need to match those emails to a small baggy of white, beige, or sometimes grey powder that doesn't have any matching description or identification on it. Occasionally it's a bottle of clear liquid that may or not be water. Even if it's water, it could be fresh water going into the system, waste water coming out of the system, or recycled process waters that range from meh to holy shit it's full of more chemicals than Lindsey Lohan's urine.

Then I get phone calls asking me for data on things that take anywhere from 2 to 10 days to do.

• Options
    Oh wow. That sounds pretty terrifying.

• Options
    Hunter, it sounds like you need an assistant, lemme come work for you, I'll do it cheap if I get to watch you do cool shit.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

how does this happen?

i am 27 and serially long-term unemployed

pretty much untouchable

so the amount of time unemployed itself is a reason for people not to hire you?

wtf

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    in england, yes!

'sizable gaps in employment' is enough to make any prospective employer trash my cv

• Options
    that is
    dumb

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    It's the same in the states, Red. Employers will look and say "Why has this person been unemployed for X amount of time?" I was out of work for 6 months and had that question brought up to me in multiple interviews.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    that is
    dumb

click ye

Beasteh on
  • Options
    It's the same in the states, Red. Employers will look and say "Why has this person been unemployed for X amount of time?" I was out of work for 6 months and had that question brought up to me in multiple interviews.

"Because one interviewer asked me that question when it was only a month, and it just snowballed from there."

• Options
    Hunter wrote: »
    They send me email chains full of cryptic nonsense and misspellings detailing complex issues they are having with some product or raw material.

Then I need to match those emails to a small baggy of white, beige, or sometimes grey powder that doesn't have any matching description or identification on it. Occasionally it's a bottle of clear liquid that may or not be water. Even if it's water, it could be fresh water going into the system, waste water coming out of the system, or recycled process waters that range from meh to holy shit it's full of more chemicals than Lindsey Lohan's urine.

Then I get phone calls asking me for data on things that take anywhere from 2 to 10 days to do.

Try not to kill yourself or give yourself super powers.

Try one of those harder than the others.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    on the other hand, this has spared you from having to work at McDonalds

• Options
    oh i already did that

honestly it wasn't that bad, the hours were shitty and the pay was low but i met some good friends there who i still talk to daily 10 years on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    "HELP I CAN'T LOGIN I TRIED TYPING IN MY USERNAME AND PASSWORD TWICE"

"Are you sure? Did you double check the caps lock key wasn't on, that sort of thing?"

"YES I'M SURE"

*keys in username and password and logs in*

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

"I...typed in your username and password."

"WELL THAT'S WHAT I DID!"

"Apparently not."

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    dan hire me dan

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Dan is a wizard

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    also the username is the guy's first initial & last name

so either he can't remember a very easy 5-character password or he can't spell his own name.

• Options
    when i was working in a bank my login password changed every week

i always cycled through the types of weapons from final fantasy (diamond, ruby, emerald, ultimate, omega etc) because i am a horrible nerd

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    I don't know what I'm missing in life that makes me constantly research self employment opportunities.

I make a darn good amount for the work I do, I got great benefits and vacation time.

Yet, there I am last night looking up the up front cost and potential profits of running a snap fitness gym.

Freelancing those years has messed me up in the head and gave me some kind of entrepreneurial bug that I can't seem to shake.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    laziness can motivate anyone to waste lots of money

speaking of enterprises doomed to failure

I saw a commercial last night where you, yes YOU could own your very own DVD dispensing kiosk.

Everyone was wearing a suit.

The fast paced life of DVD kiosk owner/operators.

This discussion has been closed.