As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Breath of Fire 3 - How to condense a JRPG!

12346»

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Been playing this all day.
    Ok. Some werehorse jocks just kidnapped the princess, and I have to break out of the goddamn king's dungeon to go get her back. And this is after they a) burnt down my house b) beat on my friends and c) tried to sell me.

Vengeance is magic, you pony fucks. Here I come.

You ain't seen nothing yet. :D

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I apologize for the huge delay with the next episode. I'm not going to get all Livejournal here but I'm having some IRL problems that's making computer use difficult, beyond typing.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I apologize for the huge delay with the next episode. I'm not going to get all Livejournal here but I'm having some IRL problems that's making computer use difficult, beyond typing.

I hope it works out, I'm enjoying this LP.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Guess what I found second hand.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Can't wait to see more; Own BoF 1 & 2 on the SNES, and enjoyed them both very much... even if I barely understood what was going on in 2 (which, IMO, the translation is only half of it.) Never owned a PS1, so 3 and on have all been a mystery to me.

God does Capcom need to make another one, or at least take a page from SE and start doing retranslated remakes...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Is it one of the best JRPGs ever made? I bet it issssssss!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Earthbound, what a find.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to hook up the PS2 and start Dragon Quarter from scratch.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Is it one of the best JRPGs ever made? I bet it issssssss!

The box is cracked and everything. Battlescars. Been trying to get this thing for a little more than a decade.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    BoF3 showed up the other day, but IRL has been delaying play-time.

In a happy way, mind you, but there you are. General gaming time's been at a glacial pace lately anyways, so maybe I might catch up to you by the time you start up again, @Henroid.

• Options
    Happened to have a fresh Dual Shock 2. Controls take some getting used to.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I on the other hand learned last night that my only ps2 controller doesn't work. Can't press up or left on the dpad. I disassembled it, but it must be a problem with the pcb or cord, because everything else is clean.

So half my game library is useless. :(

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I had a sealed one for precisely that reason. My old wouldn't play Okami anymore.

Just put Snooze on my healer. Had to unequip the Melted Blade to avoid killing the thing in one hit. Always worried about missing skills, I even had Teepo learn Unmotivate.

Edit: I really do recommend Blind for Rei. The Nue didn't land a single hit in the first fight, and I Pilfered its item.

Edit: Teepo's stats are just plain better than Roo's so far.

Edit: Oh, right, that's how Masters work. Good thing I suck at fishing, or I could have lost some progress.

Edit: Hah! OK, this is funny, so I'm not even mad. Going to have to redo it all because old tech is wonky. Stupid, broken memory-cards.

PLA on
  • Options
    Turns out I had more time than expected the other day. Up to Momo's tower, Nina still sucks, etc etc

From what I recall, Roo's stats never get better than Teepo's without a master.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Had forgotten how much exploring there is to do. Even junky treasures are useful early on. Croc Tears are a lot easier to find than Antidotes (being infinite), and the worldmap bag-areas gave me all the basic Bracers and Bandanas I could need.

And a few people do get multiple lines in a row.

PLA on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    There's one main thing I remember from this game that was awesome.
    If you fuse Ryu with Momo, you become a mecha-dragon.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    LOL-tip: Ryu in the Attack position with Protect and Snooze. Deals with the drawback of Snooze, even. Of course, I weighed him down with the clunkiest armour I could find.

Edit: Is there some limit to how many skills can be taught to the same character? If there is, do new skills become Skill Notes or just disappear?

Edit:
    Even Balio and Sunder obey Influence. Ha!

PLA on
  • Options
    Totally tanked the reverse-centaurs until Nina woke up. Level 12. Ha!

• Options
    Totally tanked the reverse-centaurs until Nina woke up. Level 12. Ha!

There's something about that part of the game that I'm going to show you in the LP. WHICH IS NOT ABANDONED BY THE WAY, again apologies for the huge delay. But you'll like it PLA.

• Options
    Yay~

I had just enough money for the Midas Stone when I got to it. Sure, I could get a nice weapon for that money, but I figure a weapon will eventually be obsolete, whereas the stone's value will add up over time. From first visit, I figure I'll get the most possible value as I venture forth.

• Options
    I'm actually not a fan of the Midas Stone. The -10 agility really grinds my gears. I found other ways to solve my money problems.

• Options
    I put it on Nina. :3
    hCQq8.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Nina killed the Mutant with Jump.

So that just happened.

Anyway, Blitz being fantastic, I'm not sure who should hold on to it in the long run. Currently Momo, because it looks like something she'd do, and it helps her accuracy a bit. But Garr has more appropriate stats, and Peco more so, while Rei is able to plow through trash like few others with it.

Edit:
    Wanted to see what Momo says as a hostage, so switched.
    ... What the hell?

Edit: I think I spotted Chun-Li and Sakura in a cutscene.

PLA on
  • Options
    Welp.

I beat it. Something I didn't do with my first play-through, kept getting stuck in the Desert of Death trying to hunt down some of the treasure.

Stuck to my guns, though.

Nah, not really. After finding some parts to be easier than I remember, I decided "fuck it" and made a mage Garr - Deis. Spells sound a lot cooler when he shouts 'em, anyways.

Rei was built for speed; stuck him with Meryleep, then chain formation so that my whole team would usually act twice. Then I gave him focus and shadowwalk. I think you can guess how the rest went.

Which left Ren as the beater/healer. Gave him magic shards, and put him on Hondara. Aura did the trick.

Then I had some other team mates which got the abilities from other masters. I forget their names. Cept Momo, had to keep bringing her out because "this fantastic digital contraption is too complicated for Garr to understand!" Too bad James Vega wasn't around to give him some pointers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMfUt3c5qw

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I gave Garr Intimidate just to give him something to shout about.
    Plus because of cutscenes.

I got lots of skills today. Even backtracked for Gloom. Hooray, anti-heals and Holy-booster. Maybe I'll use it for something, one day. In theory, Resist should be terrific on a fast character.

Pyrokinesis is physical, right?

Edit: Nina's Agility! The Midas Stone is only turning her into Rock Lee! D:

WindStrike learned. Best voiceclip.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I figured you'd like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VJlIZfncrE

Edit: Spoilers, duh.

PLA on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I figured you'd like this.

commercial

Edit: Spoilers, duh.

BreathoFireaThree! ....Capcom.

Classic.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So I finally unpacked all my PSX stuff and found my BoF3 and 4 discs. This is good times. Now to see how much fun it is to take screencaps of BoF4.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Been playing this all day.
    Ok. Some werehorse jocks just kidnapped the princess, and I have to break out of the goddamn king's dungeon to go get her back. And this is after they a) burnt down my house b) beat on my friends and c) tried to sell me.

Vengeance is magic, you pony fucks. Here I come.

You ain't seen nothing yet. :D

Few characters inspire as much rage and loathing as Balio and Sunder.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I would like Balio and Sunder. But Momo kind of made them super-awkward.

Ah, Ryu. I had forgotten
    how much swagger he gains.
    Yeah, dood, throw that sword away! Who needs it, amiright?

PLA on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I would like Balio and Sunder. But Momo kind of made them super-awkward.

Ah, Ryu. I had forgotten
    how much swagger he gains.
    Yeah, dood, throw that sword away! Who needs it, amiright?

I'm not sure what you mean with regards to Momo making them super awkward, even as someone who just replayed the Balio and Sunder segment of the game.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Nothing much, just a "wha- ?" moment when she's a hostage.

Edit: I lost my grip on the box and now the front cover is in two pieces. :(
    Tape to the rescue!

Oh, foreshadowing! I never noticed before.
    I spot Nina on the other side of a wall before actually running into her. She's talking to a maid.

PLA on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    This still hasn't died, right?

Please tell me it's still going to happen...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Owoooo, ghost town noises~

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Probably won't be any updates as long as Henroid is banned.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I was watching this thread. When is Henroid unbanned? Anyone know?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Depends on how infraction banning works. If he comes unbanned when he dips back below 6 points, October 19th. Otherwise, November 14th.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Why was he banned :(
    If you click on his name you can see a record of his past infractions, or at least the post that earned them.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Why was he banned :(
    If you click on his name you can see a record of his past infractions, or at least the post that earned them.

...Damn. I WANT MY BOF3 PLAYTHROUGH, DAMN IT!