As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla]Romance of the Two Kingdoms: Final Act. The Day of the Dead

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    Act II: The Language of the People

calligraphy015ll3.jpg

The language of the Empire differs greatly from the language of the Foreign Vampire Ghosts. Their alphabet is a paltry 26 letters which can be combined haphazardly in any number of ways in order to create gutteral sounds that were never meant to be spoken. The language of the Empire encompasses all meaningful words and excluded all nonsense. There was no room for disorder in this language and there were never any new words needed for the Empire that would require the language to evolve. The Empire was the beginning and the end of all things.

A consequence of this is that the written word was meant to express harmony and eloquence. Ideas were not meant to be simply put down on paper, but to be shaped as to be in total rapport with nature. A written word was more powerful than the spoken, and must appeal to the aesthetic virtues, as well as communicate the intent. Only nobility ever had the education or training to be able to formally communicate with it. Of course, the lesser peoples would sometimes use the language for baser purposes, but that wasn't truly important in history, so nobody paid any attention to it.

These nuances were completely lost on Sleep, who was cursing his inability to find a rhyme for 'cypress.' He sometimes envied the lesser people and Foreign Vampire Ghosts who could scrawl out of a simple note for an extra cart of feed for the stables without spending hours pouring over the rhyming dictionary. Nonetheless, it wouldn't do to have your words be unappreciated by your peers.

For future success
    I vote with the green cypress
    Thorgot and a dress

It wasn't perfect, but it'd have to do for a vote. Sleep capped his kettle of wamed ink, blew out the candle, dried off the brush, pushed the viper aside, rolled up his sleeves, and took out the official origami folding book to look up the best way to fold his vote to be properly appreciated when it was publicly read. He thumbed past the Thousand Cranes for Your Last Will, glanced briefly at the Honorable Frog's Invitation to the First Son's Wedding, lingered for a time on the especially detailed instructions for the Geisha's Initiation to the Royal Harem, before settling onto The Leaping Cricket of Meaningless Paperwork. Then, because even a body dulled for decades by sedentary court life eventually relays important instructions to the brain, he asked the important question. "What viper?" But not the even more important question of "What's the quickest way to the royal physician?"

There are also misconceptions among the Foreign Vampire Ghosts about the language of the Empire. For many decades, it was believed that the language was derived combining simple syllables of basic concepts in order to form complex ideas. (Dog) plus (Person) and (Money) ending with (Shit) was how Politican was written, and as with many languages, there was a measure of truth to this. This resulted in an entire study of the Empire's language attempting to trace the roots of words coming to the conclusion that the word Honorable was the result of a myth involving a pair of cats, burned rice, and a drowned merchant journeying to the land of the dead for a bowl of noodles. This was patently ridiculous. It was a bowl of soup.

Unlike Sleep, this was painfully clear to RiemannLives, who was hard at work in the Royal Library cramming for his proficiency exam to move up in the world. The Language of the Empire was hard, For many students, this involved researching the subject matter. RiemannLives, on the other hand, was researching how many parables and fables he could write on a sheet of rice paper and have it still be legible. So far, he had managed to write the Tong Era onto something that could be rolled up to the size of a twig and still managed to include cross-referencing, but he knew that he had a long way to go before he'd be able to write the entire textbook onto a grain of rice.

Another late-night studier sat down in front of him and began going over his own notes. His lips were moving as he read, so RiemanLives smiled to himself knowing that he was no competition, even if they were studying for the same test.

"Justice: a word derived from the story of a flying sword cleaving the unknowing student followed by an all night buffet of rice and chicken."

RiemannLives looked up from his notes confused for a moment. "I'm pretty sure that's not the right." Then cold realization struck followed by 30 inches of steel and he slumped bodily forward.

Even the most industrious of students something fail to realize that occasionally, even the most complex of concepts will stare at you right in the face.

Thorgot was elected this turn and thus immune to death. Tomorrow he shall publicly name one person to die.

Sleep was killed and was a Dong Family member.
    RiemannLives was killed and was a Johnson Family member.

I promise to make no more haiku jokes. They aren't even Chinese anyway.

Seer stuff shall be communicated by
    Your long investigations into the lineage of XXXX has revealed to you that they are of the YYYYY Family.
    Spy stuff by
    Even though you're not certain who sent them, you recognize the name of XXXX on the document you delivered today.

Feel free to make shit up as you want. :P Those PMs will go out as soon as I finish updating the opening post (roster and link to this post) as well as my own records.

Aroduc on
  • Cowboybot67Cowboybot67 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh shits....Well, I guess its time to get things rolling.

Cowboybot67 on
    Cowboybot.png
    Yar!
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah, and my apologies, but something came up, and things will likely be delayed Thursday through Saturday by an indefinite amount of time. With some luck, it won't be much, but don't count on it. Something came up which requires me to fly to Texas Thursday and back Saturday so... *shrug* I'm sure you'll live, but this is just fair warning.

Aroduc on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woooo. I managed not to get myself killed by now.

Couscous on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And the plot thickens!

precisionk on
    edited March 2007
    I'm a member of the Dong family.

Couscous on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Go me.

I live still
    titmouse wrote: »

Or are you.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Or are you.

I am. Vote for me. I admit my bias. If you vote for me, I promise to take out a member of the Dong family if thorgot kills a member of the Johnson family.

Couscous on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am. Vote for me. I admit my bias. If you vote for me, I promise to take out a member of the Dong family if thorgot kills a member of the Johnson family.
    Wait, you're going to kill members of your own family for votes? How does that make sense? How do you even know who to kill?

PsychoLarry1 on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait, you're going to kill members of your own family for votes? How does that make sense? How do you even know who to kill?
    A saying once goes,

"You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs."

But that just means they are a sloppy cook.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited March 2007

I have my ways.

Couscous on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Remember, bold and red your votes for who you want me to kill. And while you're at it, could you vote to elect me again?

I !vote for Thorgot for election

Hmm, I don't know who to kill. I guess I'll vote for who to kill later.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I !vote for titmouse
    A vote for thorgot is a vote for ignorance.

Couscous on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I vote for titmouse for execution with one of my two votes. (After all, I am a citizen too.)

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    I vote for titmouse for execution with one of my two votes. (After all, I am a citizen too.)

I am against the idea of voting for who to kill. If we did that, we might as well throw away the entire executioner stuff.

I! vote for thorgot

Couscous on
    edited March 2007

I am against the idea of voting for who to kill. If we did that, we might as well throw away the entire executioner stuff.

I! vote for thorgot

..you say as you vote to kill someone. :roll:

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I! vote for thorgot

I !vote titmouse to die in the most gruesome and humorous manner the emperor can conjure up.

Do not defy the emperor's will.

Frosteey on
  • Digger DudeDigger Dude Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I! vote for thorgot

That would put your promise to the test.

Digger Dude on
    edited March 2007

I! vote for thorgot

Well, if you are going to do it based on popular vote, I might as well vote to take out a political rival.

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    I !vote for precisionk.

It will be interesting to see if Thorgot follows through as promised.

precisionk on
    edited March 2007
    precisionk wrote: »
    I !vote for precisionk.

It will be interesting to see if Thorgot follows through as promised.

Vote to kill thorgot. I want to see if he will do it.

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    I vote for Digger Dude.

Do it or the Metroid Zombies will get you!

Digger Dude on
    edited March 2007
    I vote for Digger Dude.

Digger, don't forget to vote somebody for death, as is your right! (Though you only get one vote. Could somebody else come up with a list of people who voted for me, so we know who gets two votes?)

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I vote for Digger Dude.

Digger, don't forget to vote somebody for death, as is your right! (Though you only get one vote. Could somebody else come up with a list of people who voted for me, so we know who gets two votes?)

Your right
    I vote for thorgot
    This sounds like an interestimg experiment.

Digger Dude on
    edited March 2007
    Don't let these anarchists sway your opinion, people. They clearly want to control the game themselves, and take the power away from you!

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Don't let these anarchists sway your opinion, people. They clearly want to control the game themselves, and take the power away from you!

We all know you wont do it, you really should admit it.

Digger Dude on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    I vote for Digger Dude.

It's a matter of public record anyway. I guess I can post these each day.

sadsadad1.th.png

Aroduc on
    edited March 2007

See, it is already falling apart!

Gentleman of Phalla, I highly suggest you vote me into office as all this "voting" confusion done away with!

precisionk on
    edited March 2007

Anarchists don't want to do that. They want to free you from the evil empire!

No gods, no country!

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    So Archonex, Avaritia, Cantide, Elbonia Man, Hylianbunny, Malkor, Pata, PsychoLarry, Rygar, thorgot, and Zek

get two votes. Everybody else is left with one. I suggest you should vote for me if you want more of a say tomorrow.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    So Archonex, Avaritia, Cantide, Elbonia Man, Hylianbunny, Malkor, Pata, PsychoLarry, Rygar, thorgot, and Zek

get two votes. Everybody else is left with one. I suggest you should vote for me if you want more of a say tomorrow.

If you want to be slaves, then sure vote to him. This cannot pan out good at all. Vote me into office and I will guarantee justice and run this Empire like how it should be.

precisionk on
    edited March 2007
    Vote for me. I promise to end this corrupt dictatorship and create a beautiful anarchist utopia.

Woman_with_cntfai_flag.jpg

Couscous on
  • Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I !vote for the execution of precisionk twice. He is a fool that praises instability and yearns for chaos.

I !vote for election of thorgot because so far he's done the most fair thing possible and I question whether my family would be any better off with a member of it possessing it than thorgot.

Elbonian Man on
    edited March 2007
    Alright, I will play in this silly democracy.

I !vote for Zek

Seriously, this guy is all hate when he speaks. I understand he is trying to win the game just like anyone else, but really he is a bit of a wild cannon and can't be trusted for EITHER family.

precisionk on
    edited March 2007
    precisionk wrote: »
    Alright, I will play in this silly democracy.

I !vote for Zek

Seriously, this guy is all hate when he speaks. I understand he is trying to win the game just like anyone else, but really he is a bit of a wild cannon and can't be trusted for EITHER family.

And you aren't the exact same?

Elbonian Man on
    edited March 2007
    I !vote for the execution of precisionk twice. He is a fool that praises instability and yearns for chaos.
    BOOOOOOOOO! Chaos is not bad. We were born from chaos. To hate chaos is to hate our ancestors. To hate our ancestors is to invite death.

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    I really would prefer not to kill precisionk. True, he is a horrible person, but he is experienced, and it would be a horrible shame for the democratic system to kill my only real competitor.

That said, I will kill whoever wins the vote.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007

I !vote for election of thorgot because so far he's done the most fair thing possible and I question whether my family would be any better off with a member of it possessing it than thorgot.

How have I yearned for chaos and instability? I want to run this Empire how it should be, as an Emperor. Not some foolish democracy, that is FLAWED.

precisionk on
    edited March 2007
    That said, I will kill whoever wins the vote.

Then let us have you kill yourself, demon.

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    BOOOOOOOOO! Chaos is not bad. We were born from chaos. To hate chaos is to hate our ancestors. To hate our ancestors is to invite death.

Confucius took them out of that chaos and turned them into the greatest nation EVAR.

t k; You don't even have regard for grammatical rules so of course you yearn for chaos.

t Thor; Even against his greatest adversary you show kindness. Bravo.

Elbonian Man on