Options

Skyrim: Now with realistic horse vaginas! Dragonborn DLC out 12/4.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Someone said that dragonborn is set on Solthseim, but im sure its also set on Morrowind as well, like Vvardenfell or whatever, based on some of the locations in the trailer

Doubtful, after Red Mountain exploded and the Ministry of Truth crashed there were a lot of survivors fleeing to other lands (like the ghetto in Windhelm). It wouldn't be surprising that they brought their culture and means of living and architecture with them.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i would've been okay with a single player game set in that era that also had co-op

that would be fine

co-op in an elder scrolls game could be p coo

but noooo instead they had to make a mmo

fuckin

bullshit

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I would probably kill a human being for a co-op Elder Scrolls

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

i find that kind of stuff really disorienting in a game where i can't see my character's feet or body when i look down, because it doesn't really feel like i'm looking through their eyes anyway

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what's the deal with that anyway

Halo and Riddick are the only games I can name off the top of my head that actually model your full body in first-person

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    -Tal wrote: »

Halo and Riddick are the only games I can name off the top of my head that actually model your full body in first-person

Mirror's Edge and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic did it as well, and I'm certain there are several others.

And there is a mod that adds a body to your first person view in Skyrim but it looks fucking terrible. Buggy and janky as hell.

edit: Rolo, the first person body mod I mentioned actually moves the camera to your character's eyes and just uses the 3rd person model's animations. It looks weird to me, I'll find a link and post it in a bit

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

it's kind of a motherfuck to do properly

the reality is most FPS games, if you actually try to test it out, are not from the perspective of your character's eyes but are an entirely unrelated camera that tries to follow where your head is

shit in many games (like most Source-engine games) the arms and hands you are seeing aren't even the character's arms and hands, they're higher resolution specialty models that only exist inside your view and in actuality your body is transparent to you

for example, if you have ever seen what happens to Jensen's actual player model when you crouch in DX:HR it's pretty hilarious

• Options

Mirror's Edge and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic did it as well, and I'm certain there are several others.

And there is a mod that adds a body to your first person view in Skyrim but it looks fucking terrible. Buggy and janky as hell.

edit: Rolo, the first person body mod I mentioned actually moves the camera to your character's eyes and just uses the 3rd person model's animations. It looks weird to me, I'll find a link and post it in a bit

@Rolo, here's the mod I'm talking about: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/510412-real-1st-person-view-wip/

At least the guy is still working on it so hopefully he can make it look much better.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

L4D PC does too!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Someone said that dragonborn is set on Solthseim, but im sure its also set on Morrowind as well, like Vvardenfell or whatever, based on some of the locations in the trailer

Doubtful, after Red Mountain exploded and the Ministry of Truth crashed there were a lot of survivors fleeing to other lands (like the ghetto in Windhelm). It wouldn't be surprising that they brought their culture and means of living and architecture with them.

Pretty sure it was said somewhere that many of the Dunmer survivors are living on Solstheim no less so that would be a pretty cut and dry explanation for why more traditional Vvardenfell architecture is there.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    shit in half-life 2 gordon freeman doesn't even have a character model

because there are zero points in the game where you can see his reflection or see him from any other perspective, as there's no real cut-scenes or anything in the half-life games

so he has no character model at all. in multiplayer, he's not a playable character.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Y'all remember Tribes, right? You could look down and see your toes.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

because there are zero points in the game where you can see his reflection or see him from any other perspective, as there's no real cut-scenes or anything in the half-life games

so he has no character model at all. in multiplayer, he's not a playable character.

that's deep man

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options

that's deep man

what are you doing

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    It's because it is far more complicated to deal with animation, camera issues and model clipping to create a model for the player that will rarely been seen and hardly noticed by the majority of players.

You see those videos of that weird bug where the character's arms and torso bent super weird and stretched out?

That's what a model has to do to accommodate the fov of a first person camera.

It looks ridiculous, and it is insanely hard to animate for, it takes forever and is expensive and doesn't add enough to the game to warrant its inclusion in most games.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    It's because it is far more complicated to deal with animation, camera issues and model clipping to create a model for the player that will rarely been seen and hardly noticed by the majority of players.

You see those videos of that weird bug where the character's arms and torso bent super weird and stretched out?

That's what a model has to do to accommodate the fov of a first person camera.

It looks ridiculous, and it is insanely hard to animate for, it takes forever and is expensive and doesn't add enough to the game to warrant its inclusion in most games.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    To me Elder Scrolls is being a mad demigod wandering haphazardly through another world. An MMO violates the spirit of this fantasy in every way imaginable.

I do like MMOs though so I'll check it out anyways. I just can't do so in the context of it being a "real" TES. As a spinoff with potential the concept is a lot easier to be happy about.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

that's deep man

what are you doing

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    what are you doing

• Options
    Walt wrote: »
    To me Elder Scrolls is being a mad demigod wandering haphazardly through another world. An MMO violates the spirit of this fantasy in every way imaginable.

I do like MMOs though so I'll check it out anyways. I just can't do so in the context of it being a "real" TES. As a spinoff with potential the concept is a lot easier to be happy about.
    it doesn't have to be like world of warcraft!

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Seriously wrote: »
    what are you doing
    QEGns.png

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Walt wrote: »

it doesn't have to be like world of warcraft!

Pretty sure in the magazine article talking about it the devs pretty much said it's WoW in the ES world.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    magazine article

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    Wrote wrote: »
    Seriously are you doing

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    It doesn't have to be like world of warcraft

It's going to be like world of warcraft

• Options
    ok im going to not play it in advance thx

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    [L][L] Lincoln, NERegistered User regular
    I can't even make myself care about the MMO. Every piece of information I've seen and heard points towards it largely being more of the same. Let me rage at it for a second from a lore-nerd perspective though. In the original announcement (I think), there was one thing more than any other that made that side of me just go "Oh what the hell?"

The factions. One of them is totally fine, and is basically the Aldmeri Dominion that you hear about in Skyrim.

The next one is the Redguards, Bretons, and Orcs. Which is pretty weird considering I'm pretty sure the former two have sacked and destroyed Orsinium at multiple points in it's history. It's pretty weird and I don't really believe that they will address it in any meaningful way, but it could be done, sure.

The last one just... I don't even know. It's made of the three races in the lore that probably hate each other more than any others. The Nords hate the Dunmer, and the elves hate them right back. A lot. And the Dunmer hate the Argonians, and see them as animals and regularly raid their province and enslave oodles of them. So the Argonians kinda aren't all that fond of them either.

Maybe I'm wrong and stuff like that will all be addressed in some awesome, satisfying way. I doubt it however.

I don't really care though, I'm not invested in this in any way. Guild Wars 2 has taught me that I've reached a point where themepark MMO's just can't hold my interest at all anymore. That makes me think though: Ohhh, what I would give for this to have been a new, big-budget sandbox style MMO. Can't think of an IP that would've been more well suited for such a thing, either.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    [L] wrote: »
    I can't even make myself care about the MMO. Every piece of information I've seen and heard points towards it largely being more of the same. Let me rage at it for a second from a lore-nerd perspective though. In the original announcement (I think), there was one thing more than any other that made that side of me just go "Oh what the hell?"

The factions. One of them is totally fine, and is basically the Aldmeri Dominion that you hear about in Skyrim.

The next one is the Redguards, Bretons, and Orcs. Which is pretty weird considering I'm pretty sure the former two have sacked and destroyed Orsinium at multiple points in it's history. It's pretty weird and I don't really believe that they will address it in any meaningful way, but it could be done, sure.

The last one just... I don't even know. It's made of the three races in the lore that probably hate each other more than any others. The Nords hate the Dunmer, and the elves hate them right back. A lot. And the Dunmer hate the Argonians, and see them as animals and regularly raid their province and enslave oodles of them. So the Argonians kinda aren't all that fond of them either.

Maybe I'm wrong and stuff like that will all be addressed in some awesome, satisfying way. I doubt it however.

I don't really care though, I'm not invested in this in any way. Guild Wars 2 has taught me that I've reached a point where themepark MMO's just can't hold my interest at all anymore. That makes me think though: Ohhh, what I would give for this to have been a new, big-budget sandbox style MMO. Can't think of an IP that would've been more well suited for such a thing, either.

Wait, those are the factions? I thought this was some kind of crazy prequel or something involving the Akaviri or whatever

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well yes. It is. And the Orcs at that point were completely fucking marginalized and hunted down on sight.

Like, that's why Gortwog needed the power of a giant stompy robot god to carve Orsinium out of High Rock and Hammerfell. Because otherwise no one would take him as more than a bandit lord.

If those are the actual factions then... wow. I am...

Yeah. This might be worse than the constant Blades changes.
    The Aldmeri Dominion thing is totally cool though, because that was an established faction and the destruction of it via Numidium ended the Second Era and thus the opening days of the Third Empire began, and with it the Third Era.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just started a new game of Skyrim. First thing I do, as usual, is join the Companions. Get my first job from Farkas, which he tells me to do in a way that will "bring honour on yourself and the Companions."

The job? Beat up the priestess in Whiterun.

What the hell, Farkas? I just had a lovely chat with her about this tree. Who the hell has beef with the tree priestess?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I pass by a guard as I'm entering the sacred temple of Kynareth.

"You've been seen in the company of the companions," he says to me. "That's an honourable path you're on, friend."

Yeeeah. Hold that thought, I just gotta go do a thing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    38 hours later

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Just give it a chance, is all I'm saying, before making wild speculation based on a very limited amount of evidence.

Yeah, it could be balls awful, or horribly bland.

Or it could be trying something new with the space or the IP.

But saying "it'll never work, this isn't Elder Scrolls" is like complaining about DDO because it isn't on paper like the D&D you know and love based on a screenshot.

It'll be different then what you're used to. It could be awesome or it could be boring as hell.

But try to be a bit more open-minded.

I fully anticipate it to be entertaining.
    i would've been okay with a single player game set in that era that also had co-op

that would be fine

co-op in an elder scrolls game could be p coo

but noooo instead they had to make a mmo

fuckin

bullshit

This is my opinion. Having 3-5 people running around Skyrim with me similar to other small co-op games (Like Borderlands or Left 4 Dead) seems preferable and more natural to the gameplay than an MMO.

But it's also probably not as lucrative.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    [L] wrote: »

Dragon Break! Warp in the West! Other weird terms in the lore to say this will all be erased from the surface of time. And how everyone can be a world-saving hero at the time time.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Well yes. It is. And the Orcs at that point were completely fucking marginalized and hunted down on sight.

Like, that's why Gortwog needed the power of a giant stompy robot god to carve Orsinium out of High Rock and Hammerfell. Because otherwise no one would take him as more than a bandit lord.

If those are the actual factions then... wow. I am...

Yeah. This might be worse than the constant Blades changes.
    The Aldmeri Dominion thing is totally cool though, because that was an established faction and the destruction of it via Numidium ended the Second Era and thus the opening days of the Third Empire began, and with it the Third Era.

Coming in Patch 1.5 is Orsinium, an epic new raid dungeon for you and 24 of your most powerful friends. Sack the Orcish stronghold and end Gortwog's reign of terror, culminating with a final, epic encounter with the Numidium!

Walt on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    I just started a new game of Skyrim. First thing I do, as usual, is join the Companions. Get my first job from Farkas, which he tells me to do in a way that will "bring honour on yourself and the Companions."

What the hell, Farkas? I just had a lovely chat with her about this tree. Who the hell has beef with the tree priestess?

I have never been asked to beat anyone up

weird

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So, have the Orcs ever reign-of-terror'd or anything before? Is the constant hate and genocide attempts 100% "cause they ugly"?

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Seriously wrote: »

I have never been asked to beat anyone up

weird

Really? That's always been the first job I get. I mean I'm paraphrasing, the mission text says to go and intimidate someone. But what that boils down to is me slapping a priestess around inside her own temple while several of her fellow worshipers cheer me on.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well maybe she's a real dick, you don't know. There's a couple guys at my work who the slapping of them around by a hired viking I'd cheer for

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.