As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'd go but doubt I have the gear :p

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    It is intended to be completable in ilvl 333 or whatever was the original heroics at launch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Also most of them are less "zomg dps" and more about the specific mechanics of a fight.

EDIT: I mea, for the 333 heroics, having the 377 pvp sets is more than enough to do everything. Primary stats are king.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    a decent number of them are zomg dps

but yeah, if your ilvl is over 350 (should be everybody at this point) you're more than geared enough

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    If warcraft ever spawns an RTS again, I suspect it'd be multiplayer only. And likely F2P with cash shop. Thrall for 5$.

Though it would be fun to see them try and make a single player story for an RTS out of the clusterfuck that is the lore nowadays. Since every fun plot point in the RTS games has been crammed into WoW at some point or other, anyone who loved the old games but didn't play the MMO are just going to end up pissed. "Oh, Arthas? Yeah, he was killed by some random shmucks, that's over with. He dropped a sweet hat though". I just don't see it working.

Not saying they can't or won't go in that direction, but you would end up with the level of bitching about SC2's story times a billion. Course it would make money regardless.
    Arthas was introduced in WC3. Not like they can't just introduce some new big bad at any point (i.e. Sha).

Sure, but imagine if you went to watch Return of the Jedi to find out Vader was killed off in a board game you didn't want to play.

I mean, why even bother with the setting at that point? Just skip from 'making new villian' to 'making new IP'. Blizzard really needs to do that anyways (make new IPs I mean).

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Sent you a PM, Herpes fellow.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    If warcraft ever spawns an RTS again, I suspect it'd be multiplayer only. And likely F2P with cash shop. Thrall for 5$.

Though it would be fun to see them try and make a single player story for an RTS out of the clusterfuck that is the lore nowadays. Since every fun plot point in the RTS games has been crammed into WoW at some point or other, anyone who loved the old games but didn't play the MMO are just going to end up pissed. "Oh, Arthas? Yeah, he was killed by some random shmucks, that's over with. He dropped a sweet hat though". I just don't see it working.

Not saying they can't or won't go in that direction, but you would end up with the level of bitching about SC2's story times a billion. Course it would make money regardless.
    Arthas was introduced in WC3. Not like they can't just introduce some new big bad at any point (i.e. Sha).

Sure, but imagine if you went to watch Return of the Jedi to find out Vader was killed off in a board game you didn't want to play.

I mean, why even bother with the setting at that point? Just skip from 'making new villian' to 'making new IP'. Blizzard really needs to do that anyways (make new IPs I mean).

WoW is not exactly a "board game". Orders of magnitude more people have played WoW than WC3, that is a fact. I would also speculate (not a fact, but I'd be willing to bet on it) that a large majority of people that have played WC3 have also played WoW (at some point).

edit: in fact, a major draw for me in vanilla beta/early vanilla days was that I'm now at the perspective of the units from the games. I remember going into the garrisons in Elwyln forest and being like "so that's what these look like inside". Same for orc burrows in Durotar.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Was leveling some alts to get them ready for MoP. I didn't have a goblin go-cart for my Horde characters yet, and since mounts are going account-wide I figured it'd be quicker to level my old level 12 goblin (that I saw their starting zone with) to 20 rather than trying to grind to exalted on a different toon.

So I head off to Azshara since I'd never gotten around to doing it since the Cataclysm.

...what the fuck Blizzard? I've done over 40 quests across 4-5 different quest hubs and have not come across a single vendor/repair guy or even an inn to log out in and get some rest XP. I finally came across a flightmaster and ended up having to fly back to Orgrimmar to vendor/train/rest.

How did they completely overhaul this zone and miss that? Some of the quest hubs even have buildings with mailboxes that would have worked fine as rest zones, but nope. It wouldn't be so bad except my goblin only has three bags, and I have no high level alts on that server to get him more.

Lars on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

As far as I'm concerned, Arthas is still sitting, staring out at the sea, beautiful and desolate.

Nothing else is needed or wanted, or can even ruin that if given.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Lars wrote: »
    Was leveling some alts to get them ready for MoP. I didn't have a goblin go-cart for my Horde characters yet, and since mounts are going account-wide I figured it'd be quicker to level my old level 12 goblin (that I saw their starting zone with) to 20 rather than trying to grind to exalted on a different toon.

So I head off to Azshara since I'd never gotten around to doing it since the Cataclysm.

...what the fuck Blizzard? I've done over 40 quests across 4-5 different quest hubs and have not come across a single vendor/repair guy or even an inn to log out in and get some rest XP. I finally came across a flightmaster and ended up having to fly back to Orgrimmar to vendor/train/rest.

How did they completely overhaul this zone and miss that? Some of the quest hubs even have buildings with mailboxes that would have worked fine as rest zones, but nope. It wouldn't be so bad except my goblin only has three bags, and I have no high level alts on that server to get him more.

There are plenty of repair people, typically at the various Rocket-Way hubs. Did you take the lifts up to the Rocket-Way to look for them ? Otherwise to train and log out, I think the devs intend for you to either fly to Ogrimmar or the Goblin island city.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I was really enjoying the cinematic for the first two minutes, but once kung fu panda came in, my eye rolling went into overdrive.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure at least a couple of the bases of the rocket tram pillars function as inns

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Thanks TDWH for the token tip, I've already got a bunch leftover from I don't remember what, so I only need to farm up 120 more, which I can also do while killing foxes.

Also I'll gladly crossrealm raid or dungeon with any Horde-side person after 5.0 drops. Technically I'm up for it now but I'm waiting for the Battletag stuff to be implemented first cause (especially with Blizz getting hacked) I'm super paranoid about my giving out my B.net email address.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I was really enjoying the cinematic for the first two minutes, but once kung fu panda came in, my eye rolling went into overdrive.

Glad I'm not the only person who didn't like it. I hate being told I'm a bad / crazy person for not liking something other people do. I wasn't even in a tirade over it. :P

I'm rolling over in anxiety waiting for some sort of word about a revamp for the original race models, though. There's gotta be something about the progress on that at least after the patch goes live.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure what you're expecting re: race models.

Last word on it was that the only race they might have done by MoP is dwarves, but that they were probably going to wait and get them all out at once. That was a long time ago...like...last blizzcon iirc.

I honestly wouldn't expect them till whatever comes after MoP. Or maybe some filler patch later in MoP when they need to push something out but don't have "real" content ready.

Personally, I dunno. Its not that I am against new models; they've done an excellent job with the new races in Cata and the Pandas, as far as animations, and level of detail...I just have this fear that they're going to make them weird in a way that just feels wrong. Not that it would be wrong necessarily; but when you've looked at particular characters for a billion years, even moderately subtle changes can feel jarring.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The reason why Dwarves are first up is because Pandaren skeletons are based on Dwarf skeletons so they basically can back port the upgrades they did for pandas to a new Dwarf skeleton

• Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    This isn't to rag on you, Dude with Herpes, but I cannot stand people who panic when the slightest changes in a long-standing system occur. Appearances, abilities, you name it. If the change is for the overall betterment of the game, then by God let them change it. But people are timid sheep and the needed changes don't occur.

Okay, rant over, back to WoW.

I think you can be "zomgDPS" and mechanically inclined at the same time. You just can't be a bad player and be both. We were the third guild on the server to beat Heroic Nefarian (really good encounter imo) and we had all kinds of nutballs who were zomgDPS and would rag on each other for not being #1 on this fight or that fight (guys who would blow themselves up with the damn rocket boots every time), but by no means were we mechanically idiots.

I was very fortunate, though, it was a really good raiding group. Bad guild overall (zero love for new players) but good raiders.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    When it comes to aesthetics, Blizzards track record is pretty stellar, so I'm not worried. My biggest worry is that it'll forever be a back burner thing they just keep putting off forever, but seeing as how outcry over the issue just keeps getting louder, it may very well go the way of transmogrification.

• Options
    So unrelated, I was thinking.

You can do LFD via realid/bnet id now.

Would anyone, alliance side (or shit, since its account wide, horde too I guess; I have no shortage of 85's) be interested in setting up some playtimes to do achievements for Glory of the Cataclysm Hero?

I'd really like to get that meta down before MoP. It might be easier to do after 5.0.4 when achievement are account based so any done will count towards the meta.

I'm still waiting for you to answer my PM about this. :(

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Oof, gonna wait for battletag to be in the game.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would be down for it as well but then I am on :rotate: Windrunner:rotate: as well

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »

Would anyone, alliance side (or shit, since its account wide, horde too I guess; I have no shortage of 85's) be interested in setting up some playtimes to do achievements for Glory of the Cataclysm Hero?

I'd really like to get that meta down before MoP. It might be easier to do after 5.0.4 when achievement are account based so any done will count towards the meta.

Yeah, sorry, yesterday got silly at home so I couldn't respond to you or @Smrtnik about it. It might be better to wait for battletags in a week as I know some aren't comfortable with giving out bnet id's which is understandable. I know Smrtnik is alliance, what are you?

• Options
    Alliance as well.

• Options
    Also if people have D3 they can add battle-tags now. They work in WoW (I've tested it) but yeah you'd have to wait until 5.0 to add them VIA WoW.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    i know about the D3 thing as someone I know of quit playing wow back in wrath but we talk a lot while he plays diablo

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »

Yeah, sorry, yesterday got silly at home so I couldn't respond to you or @Smrtnik about it. It might be better to wait for battletags in a week as I know some aren't comfortable with giving out bnet id's which is understandable. I know Smrtnik is alliance, what are you?

If you've got Diablo 3, you can add battletags through that and they function fine through WoW

• Options
    I changed my pw and secret q, and have had an authenticator for years. Not worried.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh and D3 name Smrt#1173

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    did they make battletags actually work in WoW at some point? They'd show up in there right after D3 launched, but you couldn't actually message people or anything unless you were realid buddies too

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I've messaged people via Battle Tags in WoW.

• Options
    SolVanderlynSolVanderlyn Registered User regular
    Finally got my Priest up to 85 in anticipation for Mists, only to hear that Priest isn't looking so good for 5.0. I have an 83 Warrior... would that be worth pursuing, you think?

On that note, I love the fact that we got to see more of the Old World in Cata, and that it was brought up to date, and all that. But nothing beats a new continent. Pandaria looks great.

• Options
    I'm sure all classes will be ok come MoP. Some might not be as good as others (which has always been the case) but if you really enjoy X class, I wouldn't drop it cause it's not doing 'great' right now.

• Options
    I'm putting my money on DPS being kind of crazy out of the gate, with the numbers being reeled in quite a bit once the changes go live.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I doubt it. Blizzard has said that a lot of nerfs are en route, and the past beta builds have already been clamping down on dps.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I've seen some of the posts about how priests suck in beta but I suspect that a lot of that is coming from people trying to heal like it's the last tier of the expansion. You just can't compensate for everyone in the party standing in the fire when you don't outgear the content, and if Blizzard sticks to their guns on the static mana pools you may never be able to heal that way again.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Numbers are changing pretty frequently at this point too. There was that recent build that buffed ALL THE THINGS, and then not even 2 days later a build was pushed out that reverted most of those changes. Simcraft is changing a lot too. I remember looking at it one day and Windwalkers were really high up, only to look back the next day and have them be near the mid-bottom.

Basically I wouldn't worry about anything until the beta is actually over.

And on a side note, I've been watching Feral climb to the top of the charts. It turns out this is mostly due to Dream of Cenarius/Predatory Strikes. I would think so, anyway. But basically DoC works with any casts, including instant. So a Feral can spend 5 combo points on something, trigger Predatory Strikes, pop an instant-cast Healing Touch, and their next two melee abilities are buffed... which I would assume they use on Rake/Rip. It's pretty nuts.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    tarnok wrote: »
    I've seen some of the posts about how priests suck in beta but I suspect that a lot of that is coming from people trying to heal like it's the last tier of the expansion. You just can't compensate for everyone in the party standing in the fire when you don't outgear the content, and if Blizzard sticks to their guns on the static mana pools you may never be able to heal that way again.

Damn forcing people to adhere to game mechanics! :D

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Haven't actively played WoW in about half a year due to playing TOR instead, but when I get back I think I'm just going to make a panda monk and run that to 90 as a new main instead of spending the post-patch weeks instead of leveling up any of my numerous sub-85 alts. Hopefully that'll do. I've run like five different mains over the past eight years, so what's one more?

• Options
    And I've had one main since 04. And I usually only have one or two max level alts, which hour max level during last tier of a given expansion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My original main was a mage then someone wanted to level a DK together and I was like MELEE? UGH! And then I did and it was wonderful and now DK 4 ever.

This discussion has been closed.