As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] is getting better, unlike the Vita's outlook. Read the OP.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm still super sad a proper 4th edition D&D game never surfaced.

The ruleset is perfect for a turn based strategy rpg.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Tim Cain Retrospective Interview, contains a lot about Troika and their games if you're interested:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codex-retrospective-interview-tim-cain-on-fallout-troika-and-rpg-design.75737/

Temple of Elemental Evil featured what is to this day the best translation of D&D to the PC. Sadly, there only was one game using that engine. Were there any plans to keep using it for other games, or perhaps license it to other developers, in a manner similar to the Infinity and Gold Box engines?

Yes, we had great plans for that engine. For the sequel to The Temple of Elemental Evil, Troika proposed using the super-module GDQ: Queen of the Spiders, which consists of seven modules from the popular Giants and Drow series, plus the special Q-series module that completed the adventure. In fact, we were going to let the players bring their characters over from ToEE directly into the QoS, so they could simply continue playing with the same group of characters. Alternatively, we had suggested using the engine to create the long-awaited Baldur's Gate 3, and Obsidian had also expressed interest in licensing the engine to make D&D licensed games. Unfortunately, Atari never followed up on any of these proposals.

So, Black Isle and Troika both worked on (concept at least in Troika's case) BG 3 at some point.

Whatcouldhavebeen.gif

So the takeaway here is "once again, another missed opportunity because of Atari."

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Hey look! Rovio has a new game coming out, and it's totally not Angry Birds! Well... kinda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SNX-dEsf-sk

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/04/bad-piggies-rovios-next-game-will-let-you-play-as-the-pigs-launches-september-27/
    You can only kill so many pigs in Angry Birds before you inevitably start to feel a bit of empathy with them, so it doesn’t come as a huge surprise that the next game in Rovio‘s franchise will let you experience the Angry Birds universe from the pigs’ perspective. The game will launch on September 27 and will be available for iOS, Android and Mac. Rovio tells us that Windows Phone, Windows 8 and PC versions will follow shortly.

What Rovio isn’t saying, though, is what the actual gameplay will look like, though Fast Company’s J.J. McCorvey got a sneak peek at the game and notes that Bad Piggies will be a physics puzzler where players will have to help the pigs build “vehicles and contraptions.” The pigs, he says, will actually be likable in this game.

“There’s a lot of empathy towards the lovable enemies from the Angry Birds games, and we’ve been constantly asked: what about the pigs’ side of the story?” said Mikael Hed, CEO of Rovio in a canned statement today. “Bad Piggies gives you the chance to play as the second-most-loved characters in the Angry Birds universe, and explore this rich world through their green eyes.”
    The Angry Birds franchise allowed Rovio to make $106.3 million in revenue in 2011. A third of that came from merchandising and licensing. There have been persistent rumors that the company is planning to IPO in 2013, but it will probably need to show that it can expand its lineup beyond Angry Birds before that.

Rovio’s last game, Amazing Alex, debuted high in the iTunes charts, but never got anywhere near the traction of the Angry Birds games, maybe because its gameplay was a bit too complicated compared to Angry Birds. Earlier this month, Rovio also teased a new Angry Birds in Space game (Red Planet).

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    So 3 wiiU bundles is the word at launch, no word yet on what are in each one but the lowest tier is 249.99.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/04/wii-u-amazon-distributor-claims-nov-11-release-249-price-tag/

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the distributors themselves are just guessing the price, or going off of what a bunch of other people are guessing.

Like Pachter saying it couldn't possibly cost more than 250 without severely hurting console takeoff. I'm fairly confident these distributors are thinking the same thing, and as such they've decided it damn well should retail for two-fiddy clams.

I'm still thinking it'll be a smooth 300 for a base unit, and 350 for most game bundles.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    So 3 wiiU bundles is the word at launch, no word yet on what are in each one but the lowest tier is 249.99.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/04/wii-u-amazon-distributor-claims-nov-11-release-249-price-tag/

I wouldn't be surprised if those bundle SKUs are retailer-specific "get more games and accessories with your purchase" type things that they often have (and sometimes force you to buy) around console launches.

Not that it's impossible that Nintendo would jump in the multiple-concurrent-SKU pool right now, but it's not something they've really done yet.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, this is an odd set of parallel developments.

So you know how Gearbox and Insomniac both announced over-the-top 4-player coop shooters at E3 2011 via gameplayless CG trailers? (Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 and Overstrike, respectively) And how both games were noticably absent from E3 2012?

Well, in another syncronized event, it's been recently revealed or leaked that both games are gettting new titles. Gearbox has decided that Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 is just such a different concept that they're making it into a new IP instead of a Brothers in Arms spinoff. Insomniac, meanwhile, has been pointing people to fusegame.com when asked about Overstrike, indicating the game probably has seen a rebranding.

• Options
    I still want that Furious 4 game, so I'm glad to see it hasn't been mothballed.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    A shame on Overstrike, I wanted an espionage co-op game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    Tim Cain Retrospective Interview, contains a lot about Troika and their games if you're interested:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codex-retrospective-interview-tim-cain-on-fallout-troika-and-rpg-design.75737/

Temple of Elemental Evil featured what is to this day the best translation of D&D to the PC. Sadly, there only was one game using that engine. Were there any plans to keep using it for other games, or perhaps license it to other developers, in a manner similar to the Infinity and Gold Box engines?

Yes, we had great plans for that engine. For the sequel to The Temple of Elemental Evil, Troika proposed using the super-module GDQ: Queen of the Spiders, which consists of seven modules from the popular Giants and Drow series, plus the special Q-series module that completed the adventure. In fact, we were going to let the players bring their characters over from ToEE directly into the QoS, so they could simply continue playing with the same group of characters. Alternatively, we had suggested using the engine to create the long-awaited Baldur's Gate 3, and Obsidian had also expressed interest in licensing the engine to make D&D licensed games. Unfortunately, Atari never followed up on any of these proposals.

So, Black Isle and Troika both worked on (concept at least in Troika's case) BG 3 at some point.

Whatcouldhavebeen.gif

So the takeaway here is "once again, another missed opportunity because of Atari."
    Yeah, if troika and obsidian weren't able to get the license, that beamdog guy is never going to be able to convince them

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pachter is saying that the next 360 maybe pushed to 2014.

This is the closets we've gotten to a Holiday 2013 confirmation yet!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »

People will DIE if we don't get a new 360 by November 2013. The stupid 360 will be EIGHT YEARS OLD by that point. EIGHT YEARS! EIGHT!

It's like Microsoft is trying to make up for the original oXbox having such a short lifespan.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    They did dig themselves in a pretty deep hole with their hardware missteps. Neither Sony nor Microsoft are too keen in pushing ahead to the next generation, but will certainly do so as soon as the other has.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

People will DIE if we don't get a new 360 by November 2013. The stupid 360 will be EIGHT YEARS OLD by that point. EIGHT YEARS! EIGHT!

It's like Microsoft is trying to make up for the original oXbox having such a short lifespan.

This sort of behavior on the part of all three console manufacturers is also the reason why PC players continually get the hamstring by multi-platform releases, as we all have to put on the brakes to make sure the ancient monoliths have priority on being able to run the game, then we get whatever pared down version of "what could have been".

Precious few developers are nice enough to give us even an inkling of a bone, like high-def texture packs.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

This sort of behavior on the part of all three console manufacturers is also the reason why PC players continually get the hamstring by multi-platform releases, as we all have to put on the brakes to make sure the ancient monoliths have priority on being able to run the game, then we get whatever pared down version of "what could have been".

Precious few developers are nice enough to give us even an inkling of a bone, like high-def texture packs.

Except Square Enix funny enough. Almost all of their PC published releases have either been lead platform or awesome ports with way better graphics than the console versions.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I already thought they were pretty silly by letting Nintendo have an entire year to themselves to hype the WiiU.

Thankfully, Nintendo squandered the hell out of that opportunity.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for posting from the future Sheep! What else happens in late 2012/2013?

Also this price rumor is really interesting with the final SKU, though that could just be a premade bundle offered by this distro group.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular

If he's talking about "the last 12 months" as opposed to "2012" then I don't see anything wrong with his statement. Nintendo hasn't really hyped the WiiU THAT much recently. Odd considering it should release in the next few months. There was a huge window where no one was talking about their new hardware. Why didn't Nintendo?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The only thing that would be good about a new generation of PS3/360 sooner rather than later is that the hardware update will mean the PC versions won't be so horribly crippled by being originally developed for shitty hardware for a little while.

Fortunately, the PC market has loads of stuff to keep me entertained, so the whole thing doesn't matter much to me right now despite owning a 360.

• Options
    edited September 2012

Also this price rumor is really interesting with the final SKU, though that could just be a premade bundle offered by this distro group.

Cracks joke about me speculating.

Goes on to speculate.

ed

Oh, wait, I should have known that it was the Nintendo comment that got under your skin.

Yeah, they've still squandered their opportunity to hype up their console before launch.

And no, a media blitz the month beforehand really doesn't count.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Bearing in mind that I don't expect the Wii U to light the world on fire in quite the same way the Wii did.

I feel like the longer MS and Sony can hold off, within reason, the better off they'll be in the long run. Basically if they can create another gen where third parties pass up Nintendo because of a hardware gap, I think that this go round it could hurt Nintendo a great deal more than it did with the Wii.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Wonder when we can expect numbers for the Hatsune Miku Vita game in Japan. Given the hype, I'm looking forward to seeing if it was indeed a system seller or not.

Cause, y'know, if it didn't sell then what else they got? It's a fairly make or break title imo.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the dude I follow on twitter in japan said they had a line around the block for the hatsune vita, so I think it'll do pretty well

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

In contrast, I'd argue that the long console generation has served to save the PC game industry from itself. I'm not looking forward to a whole new generation of games that I won't be able to run.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well, Miku was the worldwide #1 requested artist to preform at the Olympics. The Vocoloid has popularity.

• Options
    Wonder when we can expect numbers for the Hatsune Miku Vita game in Japan. Given the hype, I'm looking forward to seeing if it was indeed a system seller or not.

Cause, y'know, if it didn't sell then what else they got? It's a fairly make or break title imo.

9am eastern. It is the best selling game of last week though from retailers impressions released friday.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

In contrast, I'd argue that the long console generation has served to save the PC game industry from itself. I'm not looking forward to a whole new generation of games that I won't be able to run.

Yeah, it goes both ways, but we're at the way far end of "consoles are holding PC games back" right now. Case in point, console Skyrim having to load towns/cities as separate sections when PCs have had the power to handle it all seamlessly for years.

One definite upside is that devs have to learn to do more with less instead of brute-forcing solutions with system power. It also means style comes to mean more than pushing eight hundred billion polygons, which is also good.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

I doubt the Hatsune Miku game is going to sell as well as Persona 4 Golden did and that only gave the system a bump for a week or two. I'm guessing it'll get between 50k-100k in its first week.

As for what else they got, Falcom is releasing a couple games this year for the Vita that will probably do about as well as the Hatsune Miku game. Soul Sacrifice is probably the system's best hope for a system seller in Japan right now. That's not good for Sony (although the game itself sounds like it could be awesome).

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I really disagree with the sentiment people are showing about console lifespan being long being a negative thing. From a general consumer standpoint, less clutter means more business for actual video game sales. From a developer standpoint, the wheel does not have to be reinvented, as it were - meaning that a new devkit doesn't have to be figured out, or engines rewritten, etc. I mean yeah, there still is a definite point where the hardware needs to jump up a notch, but while eight years is certainly a little weird considering the last decade and a half, that sounds alright to me. Whatever hardware upgrade the next gen brings doesn't have to be top notch; within that timespan, certain levels of graphic fidelity and processing power have only served to become cheaper.

• Options
    That would be an incredibly terrible first week sales total for the series. Miku sales potential is about the same as modern Persona but this game has the benefit of not being a port. I like 130-140k, and this is coming from the most pessimistic person on these boards when it comes to Vita sales.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Is this a sign of the apocalypse?
    @NintendoAmerica:
    The wait is over! La-Mulana launches for WiiWare on 9/20. twitpic.com/ar5ac7

They were actually still going to release that game?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that I don't expect the Wii U to light the world on fire in quite the same way the Wii did.

I feel like the longer MS and Sony can hold off, within reason, the better off they'll be in the long run. Basically if they can create another gen where third parties pass up Nintendo because of a hardware gap, I think that this go round it could hurt Nintendo a great deal more than it did with the Wii.

I don't think anyone expects it to light the world on fire, but I also don't expect the power gap between consoles to be as insurmountable as this gen. You're right that the longer they wait, the larger they can make that gap, to the point where it could be a serious problem for Nintendo...but then if Nintendo continues on their own timeline, they could end up staggered and launch their next system 3 years after Sony and MS's. That would be really interesting to see...

And of course it wasn't just a power gap - it was a control gap (WiiU controller has all the standard inputs), an online infrastructure gap (Nintendo has shaped up, will soon have one ID across their platforms, looser policies for digital releases, DLC etc.) and along those lines, a storage gap (starting with 8 gigs is enough for DLC and patches).

But there's also a mental barrier there for which there will always be excuses - "test games" that don't sell to expectations, and when they do sell, the wrong conclusions are drawn, or the old standards "Nintendo's games overshadow our own," "it's a different market," etc. That's their biggest problem. I honestly think the only solution to that would be throwing some cash around for exclusives.
    Henroid wrote: »
    I really disagree with the sentiment people are showing about console lifespan being long being a negative thing. From a general consumer standpoint, less clutter means more business for actual video game sales. From a developer standpoint, the wheel does not have to be reinvented, as it were - meaning that a new devkit doesn't have to be figured out, or engines rewritten, etc. I mean yeah, there still is a definite point where the hardware needs to jump up a notch, but while eight years is certainly a little weird considering the last decade and a half, that sounds alright to me. Whatever hardware upgrade the next gen brings doesn't have to be top notch; within that timespan, certain levels of graphic fidelity and processing power have only served to become cheaper.

I don't know. The industry has been doing poorly the last few years, and that's either because Wii was the only thing making it look good or there's genuine fatigue happening here. And software groups are still dying off left and right due to overspending and underdelivering, despite the ease of recycling that should be alleviating those problems.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    @NintendoAmerica:

Yeah, it was all over the gaming news sites last week.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    @NintendoAmerica:

A different publisher got it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't know. The industry has been doing poorly the last few years, and that's either because Wii was the only thing making it look good or there's genuine fatigue happening here. And software groups are still dying off left and right due to overspending and underdelivering, despite the ease of recycling that should be alleviating those problems.

I blame exponentially increasing dev costs vs. poor sales. If you don't have a AAA million-dollar title in some pre-established best-selling franchise, you tend to get lost in the noise.

I suspect where we might see some growth is the downloadable side, where expectations for AAA quality are much lower so you can make your game shine on a modest budget.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It also doesn't help that most big publishers went the "release fewer games per year but make the releases huge multi-million sellers" route, and it... kinda... doesn't work.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Ace Attorney 5 on the 3DS
    This week's Famitsu is a must for Ace Attorney fans. The magazine has looks at two Ace Attorney games: Ace Attorney 5 and Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney.

For Ace Attorney 5, the magazine confirms the sequel's platform as 3DS and reveals that Phoenix Wright is the main character. Wright has a new partner, a mysterious girl in yellow clothing. This girl will be a central figure in the game.

Layton vs Ace Attorney got a major ad on the magazine's back cover. The ad itself is a puzzle showing the characters "6211." Tales Source, a site that gets the magazine in advance, says that there are some clues which suggest that this number is meant to be read flipped around, showing 1129, or perhaps a November 29 release date.

Officially, Famitsu lists Ace Attorney 5 as date TBA and Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney with a 2012 time frame.

Phoenix freaking Wright!

Can't wait for the Layton Vs Ace Attorney game too.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Cade wrote: »
    Ace Attorney 5 on the 3DS
    This week's Famitsu is a must for Ace Attorney fans. The magazine has looks at two Ace Attorney games: Ace Attorney 5 and Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney.

For Ace Attorney 5, the magazine confirms the sequel's platform as 3DS and reveals that Phoenix Wright is the main character. Wright has a new partner, a mysterious girl in yellow clothing. This girl will be a central figure in the game.

Layton vs Ace Attorney got a major ad on the magazine's back cover. The ad itself is a puzzle showing the characters "6211." Tales Source, a site that gets the magazine in advance, says that there are some clues which suggest that this number is meant to be read flipped around, showing 1129, or perhaps a November 29 release date.

Officially, Famitsu lists Ace Attorney 5 as date TBA and Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney with a 2012 time frame.

Phoenix freaking Wright!

Can't wait for the Layton Vs Ace Attorney game too.

Sweet!

Now to see if we actually get this, considering they never localized Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    That would be an incredibly terrible first week sales total for the series. Miku sales potential is about the same as modern Persona but this game has the benefit of not being a port. I like 130-140k, and this is coming from the most pessimistic person on these boards when it comes to Vita sales.

Got these week 1 figures from Neogaf.

3DS - Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 86k
    PSP - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (SEGA) - 101,414
    PSP - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2 (Sega) - 241.467
    PSP - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend (Sega) - 184.673

The 3DS game is a spin-off instead of a main game but on the other hand, it's also on a much more popular system. Plus, keep in mind that the Vita game is only a timed-exclusive (it's coming out on the PS3 next year). With those two things in mind, I don't think under 100k is that far-fetched.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    It also doesn't help that most big publishers went the "release fewer games per year but make the releases huge multi-million sellers" route, and it... kinda... doesn't work.

Most devs and pubs are so cocksure of their projects that they all wanna make them into the "Next Big Deal" - but since everyone is doing that it should come as no surprise that most of those projects don't reach the pretty insane goals set for them.

The market of multimillion selling games at the absolute top is so crowded already, the publishers aiming for that top are basically eating themselves out of business. It's this weird kind of all-or-nothing approach where a game that sells well still can have a long way to go to reach the mark that was budgeted for.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
This discussion has been closed.