As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

we're living in the cyberpunk future

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    In the future, it's far more efficient to program the ball to play itself.

Flay on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

I'd watch that

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Flay wrote: »
    Hey I just thunk a thought.

Wouldn't it be far more efficient to give everybody night vision than it would be to set up a lighting system on every street and in every building? Not night-vision goggles I mean, but if eye augmentation was widespread and being able to see a greater light spectrum was feasible? I suppose it wouldn't be nearly as aesthetically pleasing and you still wouldn't be able to see in pitch darkness, but it could reduce the amount of light fixtures we need. Also I'm probably being dumb and overlooking some other glaringly obvious problem.

Different wavelengths of light give very different information about the surface they reflected from. So seeing someone's face in IR would reveal information that we don't normally use (though could be useful in certain specific circumstances) while obscuring information we do use all the time under more noise.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

I'd watch that

I know right?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I wonder how fast the brain could adapt to being able to see in more wavelengths.

Maybe'd we'd just have to stick with light intensity NV

which would really suck when someone put a flash light in your face for fun.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    If my shadowrun characters are any indication, I would spend all my nuyen on cyberparts.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have a theory. All this doomsday end of the world because of this or that has been happening since the farm of time. The planet has always been just about to die, its just now we have the tools to see it and care enough to notice.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    We'll be fine as long as no one messes with the Lifestream.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular

I have a plan CD
    We cross the lifestreams

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You know what, I've never beaten FFVII.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    Hey I just thunk a thought.

Wouldn't it be far more efficient to give everybody night vision than it would be to set up a lighting system on every street and in every building? Not night-vision goggles I mean, but if eye augmentation was widespread and being able to see a greater light spectrum was feasible? I suppose it wouldn't be nearly as aesthetically pleasing and you still wouldn't be able to see in pitch darkness, but it could reduce the amount of light fixtures we need. Also I'm probably being dumb and overlooking some other glaringly obvious problem.

Different wavelengths of light give very different information about the surface they reflected from. So seeing someone's face in IR would reveal information that we don't normally use (though could be useful in certain specific circumstances) while obscuring information we do use all the time under more noise.

fun fact: Glass windows are opaque to infrared light

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Also ultraviolet
    That's why you can't get a tan through a window

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Cool, I didn't know that.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »

I have a plan CD
    We cross the lifestreams

what will that do?

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have a theory. All this doomsday end of the world because of this or that has been happening since the farm of time. The planet has always been just about to die, its just now we have the tools to see it and care enough to notice.

. . .

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, I meant dawn of time. Though a farm of time would be sweet

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    If my shadowrun characters are any indication, I would spend all my nuyen on cyberparts.

yeah, but you know, extra hit boxes are pretty fucking useful. and you can have a usb drive in your thumb and sword arms. Really, not seeing a downside.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Also ultraviolet
    That's why you can't get a tan through a window
    So angel didn't need super special windows at wolfram & hart???

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Ordinary glass is partially transparent to UVA but is opaque to shorter wavelengths, whereas silica or quartz glass, depending on quality, can be transparent even to vacuum UV wavelengths. Ordinary window glass passes about 90% of the light above 350 nm, but blocks over 90% of the light below 300 nm.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    You know what's a cool thing?

Take a clear PET bottle, fill it up to about 75%, shake the shit out of it for a couple of minutes and leave it in the sun all day. The sunlight will kill the vast majority of nasties in the water and make it safe to drink

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    even protozoa?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    the most annoying thing about light is that everybody uses different scales/units to describe it in every field.

yeah sure your graphs look better

but I just can't remember all different regions in all the different forms

and isn't that what's most important??

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I have a plan CD
    We cross the lifestreams

what will that do?

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure, because it's getting a lot of play in developing countries where the risk of nasty protozoans are common

I'm gonna go and fact check tonight, but I'm pretty certain

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Favlaud wrote: »
    how do you guys feel about CDProjekt's Cyberpunk game they're working on, what little we know about it so far

CDProjekt, so I am optimistic.

• Options
    @TheStig

A quick skim of google scholar seems to say that yeah, it's good enough to be considered effective

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0043135404005640

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    neat

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    That is excellent.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Oh! You can also filter water through dirt and a sock! You'll still need to disenfect it but you can turn mud into clear water in no time

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AND TODAY I LEARN THAT BUTT CHUGGING IS A THING
    Early Saturday morning, an unresponsive University of Tennessee student was dropped off at a medical center with a blood alcohol content that local police say was “well over .40,” the point at which death can occur. How did the 20-year-old student get that dangerously drunk?

Campus police went to the student’s fraternity house, Pi Kappa Alpha (aka Pike), to find out. They found several males intoxicated or passed out — and this scene, as described by a Knoxville police spokesman in a Monday statement that was obtained by The Post: “Upon extensive questioning it is believed that members of the fraternity were utilizing rubber tubing inserted into their rectums as a conduit for alcohol as the abundance of capillaries and blood vessels present greatly heightens the level and speed of the alcohol entering the blood stream as it bypasses the filtering by the liver.”

The act of getting wasted in that way is also referred to as “butt chugging,” “alcohol enema” and, well, “completely idiotic.”

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I refuse to believe that is true

• Options
    I'm sick of this liver getting in the way of my binge drinking. If only there was a way to bypass it.

• Options
    oh it was Pike
    somehow I'm not surprised

• Options
    Oh yeah
    I remember those guys
    Their frat house loooked like a a drone strike had hit it

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    there was some article about dartmouth? or some super yuppy school with a really serious frat scene in rolling stone a while back that mentioned that method of consumption

and Ellis and Templesmith's Fell had the protagonist investigating a murder that was caused by some old lady pumping her ill husband full of alcohol that way

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    AND TODAY I LEARN THAT BUTT CHUGGING IS A THING
    Early Saturday morning, an unresponsive University of Tennessee student was dropped off at a medical center with a blood alcohol content that local police say was “well over .40,” the point at which death can occur. How did the 20-year-old student get that dangerously drunk?

Campus police went to the student’s fraternity house, Pi Kappa Alpha (aka Pike), to find out. They found several males intoxicated or passed out — and this scene, as described by a Knoxville police spokesman in a Monday statement that was obtained by The Post: “Upon extensive questioning it is believed that members of the fraternity were utilizing rubber tubing inserted into their rectums as a conduit for alcohol as the abundance of capillaries and blood vessels present greatly heightens the level and speed of the alcohol entering the blood stream as it bypasses the filtering by the liver.”

The act of getting wasted in that way is also referred to as “butt chugging,” “alcohol enema” and, well, “completely idiotic.”

what a bunch of drunk assholes

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    there was some article about dartmouth? or some super yuppy school with a really serious frat scene in rolling stone a while back that mentioned that method of consumption

and Ellis and Templesmith's Fell had the protagonist investigating a murder that was caused by some old lady pumping her ill husband full of alcohol that way

yeah it was dartmouth, i remember reading this

something about baths full of vomit and basically the most horrible shit

also if you got retrofuturism in there somehow that would be the most Warren Ellis thing ever

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    guys I would have sworn I've mentioned alcohol enemas enough times for everyone to know what they are.

damnit stop ignoring my posts, every single one of you

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah you guys are way late on this stuff

I mean even if we are all ignoring Futore

this is nothing new

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Well, it might've helped if you'd called it butt chugging.

b1ehrMM.gif