As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]Rysk is making the next thread. May the game continue to grow and evolve.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!

Also my ventures into making money so far are a wash.

Let this be a learning lesson to everyone:

Just because gw2spidy/some other database says there is profit on a piece of gear does NOT make it true. I spent 29g in an attempt to make a dagger that would net me ~3g in profit. But I can't actually find a buyer as it turns out. Highest offer available is like.. 10g.... so if this thing doesn't sell eventually I'm looking at a loss of 21+g for trying to make 3g.

Such a sad panda right now.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Been there, done that. Cried the bitter tears.

Figured since then that I'm better off accumulating cash slowly instead of trying some get-rich-quick scheme.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

Figured since then that I'm better off accumulating cash slowly instead of trying some get-rich-quick scheme.

That's the thing... spending a chunk of cash and then spending time waiting for relatively small returns is not a get rich scheme. Far from it. It's just trying to actually make money crafting. It isn't going to make money fast and was never intended to. It was just an attempt at having a second source of income. It just seems that there is no way to make steady money besides the grind. I was just on the hunt for alternate methods that do not seem to exist.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Cull. Cull. Cull. CULL. CULL.

Looking forward to a bigger active population in NICE.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

That's the thing... spending a chunk of cash and then spending time waiting for relatively small returns is not a get rich scheme. Far from it. It's just trying to actually make money crafting. It isn't going to make money fast and was never intended to. It was just an attempt at having a second source of income. It just seems that there is no way to make steady money besides the grind. I was just on the hunt for alternate methods that do not seem to exist.

It's hard to say for certain, but I have a suspicion that the only way to profit from crafting (besides exp) is to craft lv75+ rare weapons and Forge 'em in the hopes of landing a precursor. Even then, you might end up breaking even or worse unless you are particularly lucky. But at least you're not overly-reliant on volatile and fickle market forces.

Huggles on
  • Options

It's hard to say for certain, but I have a suspicion that the only way to profit from crafting (besides exp) is to craft lv75+ rare weapons and Forge 'em in the hopes of landing a precursor. Even then, you might end up breaking even or worse unless you are particularly lucky. But at least you're not overly-reliant on volatile and fickle market forces.

I have already learned the tragedy of trying to use the MF. Another 15-20g down the drain! I really need to stop trying experiments..... I'd have so much extra money right now.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I wish I had that kind of cash to blow :(

Due to the wonky itemization for exotic light armor with Precision/Toughness/Condition damage, a piece of the Khilbron set goes for as much as a whole set of exotic crafted gear...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Due to the wonky itemization for exotic light armor with Precision/Toughness/Condition damage, a piece of the Khilbron set goes for as much as a whole set of exotic crafted gear...

Ouch! Is that the ONLY armor that has that stat combo?

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    [/quote]

I break even doing that if I buy every component. I do farm the mithril and the wood though which then I usually get a profit. Only part I buy is the magic component for the thing... whatever is cheapest, usually venom sacs X 15 per rare craft.

So like... farm 250 mithril and whatever wood type. Then make shittons of rare swords or something and 4 X them in the mystic forge to sell any exotics you get.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

TA gear has the same stat configuration, but as you know, that involves alot of dungeon running. It just seems silly that is the only stat combo that lacks an exotic crafted option.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

TA gear has the same stat configuration, but as you know, that involves alot of dungeon running. It just seems silly that is the only stat combo that lacks an exotic crafted option.

I think there are some other wierd ones like that. Maybe for a different type of armor though. Like KI think there is some sort of heavy armor that you can only get from 1 place or something. It is lame though.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u4QM57ri8fE#!
    This been posted yet?

I will get that spider short bow :D

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I love the RAW CANDY CORN resource.

Edit; I want new skins for the hammer/GS/sword....

charrbroiled on
    4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I wanted to push to 80 and get done decent gear so i could be more consistent
    HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!

Just because gw2spidy/some other database says there is profit on a piece of gear does NOT make it true. I spent 29g in an attempt to make a dagger that would net me ~3g in profit. But I can't actually find a buyer as it turns out. Highest offer available is like.. 10g.... so if this thing doesn't sell eventually I'm looking at a loss of 21+g for trying to make 3g.

I just have to say, its possible to make mad cash using the current resources and some smarts.

I bought 2g with gems and now have 5g. In one day.

Made it all on the TP.

• Options
    SO EXCITE!

Are there any pictures of the Black Lion Chest weapons? Have any other pieces of gear been found?

I MUST KNOW!

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I wanted to push to 80 and get done decent gear so i could be more consistent
    HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!

I just have to say, its possible to make mad cash using the current resources and some smarts.

I bought 2g with gems and now have 5g. In one day.

Made it all on the TP.

Can you give some examples of what sorts of things you are doing?

• Options
    VahkrisVahkris TexasRegistered User regular
    So, I had to send my laptop in to be repaired, so I haven't been able to get on for the last couple weeks. It's been locking up and unable to play GW2 (or anything for that matter) for a while now. Why it had to fail before the first holiday is beyond me, but just wanted to let you guys know.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Crafting will almost certainly never be a profitable activity. Farming for crafting mats will, however. We think of crafting as a trade to turn useless things into useful ones, but because of the experience you gain and the necessity to craft to get legendaries, absolutely everyone will craft and therefore everyone will have the ability to produce the same finished goods as you. Spending any time you spent researching what to craft farming mats instead by running a loop for nomnom berries, for example, will probably net you close to 3g.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Crafting will almost certainly never be a profitable activity. Farming for crafting mats will, however. We think of crafting as a trade to turn useless things into useful ones, but because of the experience you gain and the necessity to craft to get legendaries, absolutely everyone will craft and therefore everyone will have the ability to produce the same finished goods as you. Spending any time you spent researching what to craft farming mats instead by running a loop for nomnom berries, for example, will probably net you close to 3g.

Yea I know. I'm just looking for something BESIDES farming. I already spend so much time farming Karma that I wanted to find something to do that was... different.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    As a final reminder... we'll be removing any members with an "Inactive" guild rank from NICE tonight.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    SO EXCITE!

Are there any pictures of the Black Lion Chest weapons? Have any other pieces of gear been found?

I MUST KNOW!

It's not live yet, won't be until tonight, so unless the devs have shown anything no one has any idea.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    SO EXCITE!

I MUST KNOW!

It's not live yet, won't be until tonight, so unless the devs have shown anything no one has any idea.

Oh I did not know this.

At what time does it go live?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Probably the same time as usual, 8pm EST/5pm over there.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    As a final reminder... we'll be removing any members with an "Inactive" guild rank from NICE tonight.

I am probably "inactive", so feel free to kick me...as long as I can get back in when grad school calms down and I have more time!

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Wuvwuv was fun last night. The only real hitch was that we ran into the portal too early, while it was still resetting, and about 7-8 of us wound up getting stuck outside the FA borderlands post flip and had to sit through a 3 hour queue :p

I was one of the people that got stuck in the wrong borderland Friday because I zoned before the colors actually updated. I queued up for the proper borderland immediately after loading in, but 2 hours later my queue still hadn't popped. Really disheartening to get seperated like that after waiting an hour+ for the switchover. The queue for wuvwuv is a huge pain to deal with, but I don't now how they'd fix it. Maybe have a stricter afk timeout on the WvW zones?

At least it led to this amusing story as I ran around and did a bit of wuvwuving on the "wrong" borderland. As I was linking up with some other PA players that were stuck in the same borderland, I got into a skirmish outside of a supply camp. An enemy thief was killing a random Fort Aspenwood player, but the thief was in and out of stealth so much that he wasn't loading for me. The FA player gets downed, and I figure the enemy thief is in stealth doing the dunk animation to finish him off. So I use the mesmer Greatsword knockback to interrupt him from executing the friendly player. A second later I get a +XP popup and a bag drops at my feet. It took me a second to figure out we had been fighting right by a cliff, and I busted out laughing when I realized I had thrown the invisible thief to his death with my knockback.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    They said midday so possibly noon. They've done updates/other things about then.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I gotta say, the most frustrating thing is how the player culling works is with stealth. Even when I'm totally alone out in the wilderness, it takes at least 5 seconds to reload someone's model and often they can stealth again after that's over.

Also, if there's one ele bug I really want fixed, it's the inability to get both reduced cooldowns and bigger aoe for Eruption, which makes speccing into Earth and con damage really unappealing for staff WvW.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »

The Culling has arrived!

Praise be the many angled ones!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I just realized this patch will probably reset everyone back to inactive again. (Such an inaccurate way to try have to run a guild. . .)

So if you didn't get logged in to get put into the right guild rank you'd better do it quick.

Edit: This message only applies to NICE. I'm handeling it a bit different in CNDY.

Any one have any estimates as to how many NICE spots will be culled?

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Short Sale, GW2 Style:

This method relies on the ability to place TP orders without paying a fee.

1. Look for a reasonably priced commonly traded item in high demand. Preferably one that won't be affected by future updates.

2. Find its price wall. This is the buying price cheaper than its highest buy value that has loads of orders, and the selling price more expensive than its lowest sell value with the most sell orders. Look for one where there's a substantial gap between those walls. If you want to do extra research, make a mental note of the wall and see if it regularly gets breached. If it does, it's not big enough to be a wall, so make a note that you need to look for higher numbers of orders at that price to designate a wall for that item.

3. See if you can make a buying price wall that can compete with the current buying price wall. Your objective here is to make enough orders so that people buying cheaper than you are out of luck. You can also supplement an existing wall that's in danger of breach. This is the first point where you need to be careful because what you don't want is for all your buy orders to be filled. If that happens, you have to wait for market fluctuation or eat the selling fee. Keep track of the rate at which you're buying items, and if it goes too fast you either go all in or pull out before you sustain any more losses. Research on price wall stability reduces this risk.

4. Okay, you've made your wall. The base price of the item is now set by you, so if anyone wants to buy, they'll have to post more expensive than your wall. This drives up the price of the item artificially. You might also consider doing similar things to related items as they'll go up in price as well, and you can take advantage of market lag by bona fide buying them up to sell later as long as you can keep track.

5. Sometimes, you'll see a person make a price wall on top of you. If that price wall is large enough to be stable, then reinforce it and simultaneously pull out of your previous price wall if you're confident you can hold it. You're safer here because their orders will be filled before yours do, and you don't want your orders to all go through. If it stays, you have just increased the price of the item artificially, and the whole process repeats. This will get harder and more dangerous to do as sellers wise up and start farming the item to sell it to you. Keep track of the selling price wall and start to bail if it starts getting munched.

6. When you've breached the point where the the profit from sale overcomes the selling and listing fees (do this calculation on your own), start selling your accumulated items. Post below the selling price wall and keep track of how many people are undercutting you. If you can make it so you can sell directly to buyers instead of listing and waiting, that's safe, because creating a new selling price wall will reduce your profit.

7. When the whole thing starts to crumble and the selling price wall goes noticeably down and people start making a dent in your buy barricade, pull out completely. If you are the major factor in the buy price wall, the price of the item will crash tremendously because the people below you will already have succumbed to your inflated prices and pulled out of their buy orders (cause it's free).

8. Since only you could have predicted this crash, put a lot of buy orders just above the new lower buy price wall (which should have decreased due to you) and buy all the sales cheap from people that have overfarmed and still need to unload.

9. Congratulations, you have just introduced market instability into a previously stable item, and only you know the limits of the oscillation. Take advantage of this by either repeating the process to greater effect now that you have more stock of goods or just buy low and sell high regularly now that you know what low and high are.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Short Sale, GW2 Style:

This method relies on the ability to place TP orders without paying a fee.

1. Look for a reasonably priced commonly traded item in high demand. Preferably one that won't be affected by future updates.

2. Find its price wall. This is the buying price cheaper than its highest buy value that has loads of orders, and the selling price more expensive than its lowest sell value with the most sell orders. Look for one where there's a substantial gap between those walls. If you want to do extra research, make a mental note of the wall and see if it regularly gets breached. If it does, it's not big enough to be a wall, so make a note that you need to look for higher numbers of orders at that price to designate a wall for that item.

3. See if you can make a buying price wall that can compete with the current buying price wall. Your objective here is to make enough orders so that people buying cheaper than you are out of luck. You can also supplement an existing wall that's in danger of breach. This is the first point where you need to be careful because what you don't want is for all your buy orders to be filled. If that happens, you have to wait for market fluctuation or eat the selling fee. Keep track of the rate at which you're buying items, and if it goes too fast you either go all in or pull out before you sustain any more losses. Research on price wall stability reduces this risk.

4. Okay, you've made your wall. The base price of the item is now set by you, so if anyone wants to buy, they'll have to post more expensive than your wall. This drives up the price of the item artificially. You might also consider doing similar things to related items as they'll go up in price as well, and you can take advantage of market lag by bona fide buying them up to sell later as long as you can keep track.

5. Sometimes, you'll see a person make a price wall on top of you. If that price wall is large enough to be stable, then reinforce it and simultaneously pull out of your previous price wall if you're confident you can hold it. You're safer here because their orders will be filled before yours do, and you don't want your orders to all go through. If it stays, you have just increased the price of the item artificially, and the whole process repeats. This will get harder and more dangerous to do as sellers wise up and start farming the item to sell it to you. Keep track of the selling price wall and start to bail if it starts getting munched.

6. When you've breached the point where the the profit from sale overcomes the selling and listing fees (do this calculation on your own), start selling your accumulated items. Post below the selling price wall and keep track of how many people are undercutting you. If you can make it so you can sell directly to buyers instead of listing and waiting, that's safe, because creating a new selling price wall will reduce your profit.

7. When the whole thing starts to crumble and the selling price wall goes noticeably down and people start making a dent in your buy barricade, pull out completely. If you are the major factor in the buy price wall, the price of the item will crash tremendously because the people below you will already have succumbed to your inflated prices and pulled out of their buy orders (cause it's free).

8. Since only you could have predicted this crash, put a lot of buy orders just above the new lower buy price wall (which should have decreased due to you) and buy all the sales cheap from people that have overfarmed and still need to unload.

9. Congratulations, you have just introduced market instability into a previously stable item, and only you know the limits of the oscillation. Take advantage of this by either repeating the process to greater effect now that you have more stock of goods or just buy low and sell high regularly now that you know what low and high are.

This is an insane and terrifying post.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Here I come to the rescue! Well kind of. You can get 4/6 pieces of gear with that stat set from the Orr karma exotics. You have to show around a bit since each temple vendor has different stats on different piece but if i remember right 3 of them are from cursed shore and 1 is from any of the other three in the previous areas. The only pieces you'd have to get dungeoned or khilbron are shoes and chest piece.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I Spvpd some more last night and got some practice in. Finally starting to learn the maps and I have a new staff and sword/torch build that's good for defending points.

I can't remember the name of the map, but the one where the trebuchets are: where is the repair kit?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The game reserves names for, I believe, twenty four hours after deleting a character. So it is possible someone deleted a placeholder alt and are going to re-creating it. Give it a day and see if it still comes up as reserved.

I knew about that and I will make sure to check periodically throughout the day. I'm not sure if that's what it is. It's telling me if i think the name should have been reserved for me I should make sure my gw2 and gw1 account are linked. Can people seriously sit on those prerelease reserves forever?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    MMORPG.com preview of the Halloween patch: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6820/Basking-in-the-Shadow-of-the-Mad-King-.html/page/1

Has a bit more about the non-halloween stuff, including a new mini-dungeon/jumping puzzle involving a crazy Asura and a volcano laboratory.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Word of warning with the market: Don't get stars in your eyes after reading someone's "I got rich on the TP" post. For every person who posts a "it's easy, here's how" guide, there's probably 1000's of players who lost a lot of money.

Remember, there's dozens of TP barons, but millions of players. The odds that you're going to "manipulate" the market to pull off a mad profit makes successfully navigating an asteroid field look like a sure thing. Just like normal investing, chances are by the time you're reading about it you're too late.

• Options
    fyastarterfyastarter Registered User regular
    So I want in the main guild, I'm in MerchI right now. Can I get an invite to Candymancers/NICE? Fyastarter1564.
    Thanks classy mans.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Badwrong wrote: »
    This guy wrote a thing about WvW scoring, night capping, and some math.... my mind is blown and ANET better listen to this: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/An-alternate-scoring-system-Accounting-for-population-differences/first#post492911

Draygo posts here too and is an officer in NICE. @Draygo.

Nice write up.

Reading some of the responses to that is...sad...is probably the nicest way to put it. I get some of the complaints, there's some definite wiggle room in implementation that Draygo even speaks to to a certain extent. However, "your post was too wordy" is not one of them; if anything Draygo shaved off data that would be useful to look at if you want to weigh in on the subject for the sake of brevity.

I'm amazed some of these people manage to put on pants in the morning, let alone log into the game they then whine about. I'm also making the leap of faith they put on pants in the morning so...there's that.

All of that said, it would be nice to get some dialogue from ANet going on the score system. I'd hope that's something they could be more transparent about when they test models on their own compared to, say, class balance. I blame no company for usually lacking transparency in that subject when it's all still hypothetical given the useless backlash rather than genuine discussion about the subject.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Anyone notice that in the youtube video, the weapons had a 4 hour timer?

I am disappoint.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
This discussion has been closed.