As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Holiday Bonus is this [Job Thread]

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Got my evaluations back. Was a little nervous about reading them, but things seem good. I'm going to make a copy to hold onto so I can look at them in more detail.

But it looks like I'm going to have to help revise the promotional materials for the department which I am really unexcited about.

I'm also going to have to learn how to use Photoshop which probably won't be too painful.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Been compulsively checking my e-mail every few minutes while I've been awake today. Still no offer letter. And the person who was considering taking on the rest of my lease no longer seems interested, which blows. I am not excited about paying the crazy fee :(

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    So my new part time job has computer access and lots of spare time.

I'm really liking it here.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So, it turns out the position I will likely be offered will actually be replacing another person who was sent back to their previous role.

On the one hand, it sucks that they're sending her backwards. That's gotta suck and is probably going to make things difficult for her going forward, but she really wasn't good at her job. Really nice person, but definitely wasn't at the level of proficiency/competence that everyone else is

• Options
    That seems to be the case 90% of the time: Really nice person just isn't good enough at their job.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Hey, anyone seen @vermiculture around lately?

There's this thing that he should be aware of

Ask him about 6th street.

Might wanna text him.

Edit: CONTEXT!

Yukira on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Welp, I just got a rejection letter from that job I was fussing about.

I am glad because now I don't have to worry about whether or not to take it.
    I am sad because that's one fewer opportunity, one more rejection, one more point on the loser board.

Goddamn it.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    That sucks.

That was the one where you were gonna have to put in 2 years before seeing any real money?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    also known as "a scam"

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Hey, anyone seen @vermiculture around lately?

There's this thing that he should be aware of

Eaten by a sloth

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    That sucks.

That was the one where you were gonna have to put in 2 years before seeing any real money?

Yeah. I mean, it was "ok" money the first two years, "good" money for a fresh college grad, but just not enough for us to survive on until August.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Oden wrote: »
    is your sister totally incapable of supporting herself

@Oden no, it's just that during the second semester of student teaching, it's a bad BAD idea to have an additional job. She'll work some over the summer until she starts a teaching job, but it won't be a job bringing in any real money, probably just enough to pay half of rent and half of cellphone.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Guys...

They are doing demolition in the basement and the whole first floor is vibrating. It's distracting.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    In a good way?

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    So, I've been working over-night shifts lately, and its worked out really well. I get to listen to music, and noone tries to micro manage me.

every overnight shift I've done more work in 8 hours than the 3 other techs manage to pull off in 16 hours combined. So much for the "you're not getting any work done because you have a problem with authority and don't want to work so I have to sit back here and nag you all day" theory.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    So I really have no idea what I want to do. Most of my current experience is in customer support and even then I haven't performed in that role for over two years. I've a one year visa for Canada that I can get next year but I'm worried about moving there and not finding anything and squandering the savings I have on rent and what not.

At the end of the day, I don't really want to be working customer support for the rest of my life. I don't really want to have anything to do with that line of work. I'm considering going back and doing a PLC here for a year or two and then maybe transferring back to college and getting a four year or something and then trying my luck with something that's more fulfilling.

I just don't have any idea what I want to do and haven't tried enough to figure out what I enjoy.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    haven't tried enough to figure out what I enjoy.

concentrate there

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    how can it seriously only be wednesday why is it not friday afternoon yet hulahlhlahg

• Options
    I would also like it to be Friday. This wait for an offer letter is killing me. My friends that I've listed as references haven't mentioned anything about being contacted yet so I'm starting to wonder what the hold-up is.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I would also like it to be Friday. This wait for an offer letter is killing me. My friends that I've listed as references haven't mentioned anything about being contacted yet so I'm starting to wonder what the hold-up is.

HR :rotate:

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It's a possibility since the company is from the Netherlands, however I thought that the HQ where I'm going to be working at had its own HR.

All in all, I think the apartment I really wanted is going to be gone by the time I hear something :(

godmode on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Got my new contract offer today.

It's, got issues.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Got my license

Now I can appraise things! By which I mean buildings

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Woo. I have been officially taken off probation at work. I am now much harder to fire. Time to celebrate by stealing a load of equipment and selling it on eBay

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    haven't tried enough to figure out what I enjoy.

concentrate there

Alright. Any advice on how I can just try things to see if I like them?

My friend told me about a site that teaches you basic JavaScript I think and I was trying that but was having trouble with it. I couldn't figure out how some of it by myself.

I did about a year of an accounting and finance degree. I'm going to go up to the state training centre and apply for some courses in anything that seems interesting.

Anything else I could do would be great. I could use all the time I'm playing video games to try and do something productive instead.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    I have a question mostly for those not working in America

Is random e-mailing to businesses looking for employment something that works where you are? Or maybe certain professions where this is really typical?

We get a lot of random e-mails, almost exclusively from people outside the United States, that are basically just "Hey this is my resume if you have a job open you should give it to me."

I was just curious if this actually works elsewhere for people.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah, people do it in the mining industry in Australia at least

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It doesn't often work.

They do it so you can hire them and they can get sponsered to stay.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Some days I think that if I could get compensated as well as I do now in a completely different field, that'd be great. Been doing Software Dev for 10 years or so, and not strictly enjoying it as much as I used to.

• Options
    Interesting.

I just think it's funny when I get an e-mail that has no subject line, no message in the body, and even the cover letter is barely a paragraph without the name of the place you are applying to.

Some are a little more detailed, but most of the time it's like they just didn't even try.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had it happen fairly regularly at all universities I've been employed at, whether I was student, admin staff, research staff, whatever. By which I mean the somewhat inappropriately-aimed resume drive-by. No idea if there are places where that works, I guess people figure they can't lose anything.

On the other hand it's pretty normal in academia to do a 'cold-call' email to a department you want to work with, just in case they've got some funding for a position but haven't advertised it yet. And that does often work. But you wouldn't go to admin, you'd go directly to the head of department or the academic you wanted to work with, and it would be a carefully tailored cover letter.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Some days I think that if I could get compensated as well as I do now in a completely different field, that'd be great. Been doing Software Dev for 10 years or so, and not strictly enjoying it as much as I used to.

25 years at software dev. You have barely begun to scratch the depths.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I have a question mostly for those not working in America

Is random e-mailing to businesses looking for employment something that works where you are? Or maybe certain professions where this is really typical?

We get a lot of random e-mails, almost exclusively from people outside the United States, that are basically just "Hey this is my resume if you have a job open you should give it to me."

I was just curious if this actually works elsewhere for people.

I get tons of those types of emails from foreigners (non-North Americans). I don't know if it's the nature of my place (College of Dentistry) or if it's just the cultural/societal norm for where they're from.

• Options
    @Tynic That makes a lot of sense. I know we have some of those happen behind the scenes as well and there is actually a visitor here this week that might have a position created for them if all goes well.

I really like working at the university and I've considered studying Higher Education Administration to make myself more marketable long-term. But I'm honestly not sure what my end goal would be. I don't know what my dream job would look like.

I just know that I would be happier if I had some underlings of my own and not being the front desk person in any office ever.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Having two jobs sucks. Especially when you're still broke.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »

25 years at software dev. You have barely begun to scratch the depths.
    Oh dear. Tell me horror stories? I think I'll choose to take my misery in company form.

• Options
    So, I've been working over-night shifts lately, and its worked out really well. I get to listen to music, and noone tries to micro manage me.

every overnight shift I've done more work in 8 hours than the 3 other techs manage to pull off in 16 hours combined. So much for the "you're not getting any work done because you have a problem with authority and don't want to work so I have to sit back here and nag you all day" theory.

They call that Theory X in Industrial Psychology

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my job is still awesome

they are getting ready to do promotions over the next two weeks and I think I am eligible

even though technically a promotion is just me doing the same job with a better title and salary

i'll take it

• Options
    did you know most people would rather have a new job title than a raise

did you?

• Options
    I would rather have the raise.

I could just tell people that my job title is different than what it actually is.

This discussion has been closed.