As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I remember when I first played Disgaea 5 the only experience I'd had was Disgaea 1, so when I got to the item world and it had:

- a flying delivery person who drops complications into maps
    - little walking bottles with evility scrolls
    - little weird guys holding up signs who give you bonus stats
    - Proto Darkdeath who shows up to wreck your day
    - level spheres to destroy to level up the item further
    - strange fish you can lift up to gain extra benefits
    - invasions of the Lost and other netherworlds which add global effects to the fight and you can fight off with your own netherworld
    - a bunch of unique special rooms with weird situations and various benefits like free pies and item duping

I thought "wow, there's so much stuff here, they must've been adding these a little at a time with each new game."

Only to find out that most of it (over half) was just added in 5. Along with Chara World as a board game instead of just an alternate item world, the Innocent Farm, curries...

Playing 4 really made me appreciate how revolutionary 5 was, and I'm loving the story on the second time around too. Noticing that Red Magnus has flashes of improvement and teamwork long before his big character moment.

I didn't like all that little stuff all that much. It mostly provided microscopic benefits that I quickly deemed "meh, whatever" and mostly ignored. At the same time, they massively reduced the number and variety of special rooms, and a lot of the replacements were obnoxious. I also lamented losing all the wacky themed pirate invasions, especially the user pirate stuff. When 5 interrupted

I also hated the board game. It took forever, and I neither wanted or needed a second inventory to have to manage and deal with.

Yeah, I noticed 4 doesn't seem to have the insane variety of 2's bonus rooms.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The board game is new? It kind of felt like the sort of thing that didn't really fit but they had to include because previous games had it and they couldn't get away with just removing mechanics entirely.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    The board game is new? It kind of felt like the sort of thing that didn't really fit but they had to include because previous games had it and they couldn't get away with just removing mechanics entirely.

Nope. Disgaea 3 introduced Class World, which was basically like smaller item worlds, filled with big stacks of Geo Blocks rather than the item world's Geo Symbols and panels. Clear 10 floors of that to get one of the bonuses (pretty much the same suite of things as clearing things in 5). 4 had the Chara World, which was basically the same thing with a few extra random effects and bonuses, and it was also what you used to expand Cam-pain buildings (replaced by the extremely stripped down squads mechanic in DD2/5). DD2 had literally nothing. 5 changed that out to the board game.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m still salty that Makai Kingdom PS Vita port never materialized. That was my favorite of them all for a long time.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The squad mechanics in 5 are way better since you don't need to deal with positioning around a map, it's nice just to be able to add people directly to groups as needed without having to hunt around a big field for the right person to physically move.

A lot of them feel more impactful too, there were a lot of cam-pain buildings that felt pretty useless, like "move further but you can only move in straight lines."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The squad mechanics in 5 are way better since you don't need to deal with positioning around a map, it's nice just to be able to add people directly to groups as needed without having to hunt around a big field for the right person to physically move.

A lot of them feel more impactful too, there were a lot of cam-pain buildings that felt pretty useless, like "move further but you can only move in straight lines."

I had fun with the classroom seating in 3, 4's map felt like a messier version.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Nope. Disgaea 3 introduced Class World, which was basically like smaller item worlds, filled with big stacks of Geo Blocks rather than the item world's Geo Symbols and panels. Clear 10 floors of that to get one of the bonuses (pretty much the same suite of things as clearing things in 5). 4 had the Chara World, which was basically the same thing with a few extra random effects and bonuses, and it was also what you used to expand Cam-pain buildings (replaced by the extremely stripped down squads mechanic in DD2/5). DD2 had literally nothing. 5 changed that out to the board game.

Actually, DD2 had the Demon Dojo for the same purposes, but no actual special area; you just gained extra stats/aptitudes when leveling up based on what part of the dojo the character had been assigned to.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yay, Direct Mini just confirmed D6. MC is a zombie that keeps powering up through super reincarnation. Damage into the quadrillions, level up to 99,999,999. They moved to 3D though instead of sprites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfCO_x7rPLg&feature=emb_title

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I own a Switch so it is not even remotely a problem, but I do find it weird that NIS went exclusive (at least for now) with the Switch. Disgaea has long been associated with the Playstation name, since the very beginning of the series. And for them to go exclusive with Nintendo just feels weird.

Again. Not a problem. I own a Switch. I can get it and play it and enjoy it on my Switch. Just feels weird.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    d5lqpla5b0n6.png

Easiest preorder of the recent era.

Also, 99999999 max level? 99,999,999,999,999,999,999 damage cap?

I'm not sold on the move from sprites to chibi 3D art, but I don't hate what I see.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I own a Switch so it is not even remotely a problem, but I do find it weird that NIS went exclusive (at least for now) with the Switch. Disgaea has long been associated with the Playstation name, since the very beginning of the series. And for them to go exclusive with Nintendo just feels weird.

Again. Not a problem. I own a Switch. I can get it and play it and enjoy it on my Switch. Just feels weird.

There was a rumor, and it was seemingly confirmed by a DoubleJump interview, that Makai Wars was going to be a PSP Launch title, but after getting the clout for announcing it, Sony refused to allow them to release it initially because they didn't want their graphically intense PSP system to be associated with a sprite game. NIS Japan's only comment on it was it was canceled for "adult reasons," and Makai Kingdoms launched on the PS2 a few years later with a UI and Game system that really, really, REALLY played like a PSP game that got retooled for the PS2.

Asagi was supposed to be the main character of Makai Wars, which is where that particular gag cames from. "The Main Character of a game we haven't made yet."

Edit: A previous version of this post suggested the damage cap was 9,999,999,999,999,999.

It is in fact 99,999,999,999,999,999,999. KiTA Media Networks apologizes for the error.

KiTA on
  • Options
    I was sad to see they were using 3D models, but looking at them again they do seem to be a pretty good when viewed isometrically during the battles. It's not a Guilty Gear good transition of sprites to 3D, but looking at the direct video again it does look fine for the combat, and the menus and text interactions will likely use the hand drawn sprites we're used to (you can see them navigate a menu that uses a drawing for the character).

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I think only... 3 and D2 aren't available on Nintendo systems at this point, and the Switch really is a perfect platform for Disgaea.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Is there a reason 3 has never been re-released on any other systems? It's the only one I've never played.

I'm ambivalent about the move to 3D but it does seem like they did a nice job with the models.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So i played a ton of 5, but only 5. Do the previous ones seem clunky or is it about the same? Thinking about picking up an earlier iteration while i wait for 6 to be released.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    So i played a ton of 5, but only 5. Do the previous ones seem clunky or is it about the same? Thinking about picking up an earlier iteration while i wait for 6 to be released.

About the same. 1&2 might feel a little bare bones compared to 5 but they all play and feel very similar.

• Options
    Disgaea 6 was announced at the same time for PS4 in Japan.

a7nbyd01b1d7.png

3l16aq0dyy95.png

https://disgaea.jp/6/

So we don't know if they're just not bothering to localize it, or haven't announced it yet, or what.

• Options
    Not a fan of the move to 3D, but it looks okay enough, I suppose.

Really don't like that it seems like all the animations are cutaways to the void dimension.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Really don't like that it seems like all the animations are cutaways to the void dimension.

Always been the case beyond the lowest couple tiers of moves I think.

Dunno how else you can have the higher level magic go anyways. Cutting a solar system in half and all.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I. . . actually kind the 3D art style. This series had been due for some kind of graphical upgrade for a long while.

Also localization seems a foregone conclusion with that English trailer.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited September 2020

The animation for the main character at the start of the trailer was very rough. But you could see the animations getting better as the trailer progressed, with some (the Prinny ones) being pretty good with the style.

Ninja:

The JP Trailer doesn't have the same narration style, and doesn't have the text covering the screen, so you can see a lot more of the animations. They look quite good, actually, when you realize the main character is doing a zombie pose out and not just standing there like a derp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBPaNW8UgE

It mentions the stat caps as well, which look to be equally expanded compared to previous titles.

zfo4y217oyhi.png

ED! wrote: »
    I. . . actually kind the 3D art style. This series had been due for some kind of graphical upgrade for a long while.

Also localization seems a foregone conclusion with that English trailer.

It's already available for preorder on NISA's store. https://store.nisamerica.com/disgaea-6-defiance-of-destiny/disgaea-6-defiance-of-destiny-limited-edition-nintendo-switch

Art book, Soundtrack, Game (hate that in 2020 we have to confirm that), Pin Set, Steelbook, 28"x40" cloth poster.

Edit:

The blurb from the website is interesting:
    Zed is a boastful zombie who wallows on the lowest rung on the Netherworld ladder alongside his sister Bieko. When a God of Destruction threatens their way of (un)life, Zed must harness his unique ability of Super Reincarnation to stand against the approaching menace. Along the way, he will unite with twisted and colorful denizens of different Netherworlds, face challenges around and within, and see if even an undying hooligan like himself can defy the odds!

Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny unites a grim yet touching story with insane tactical combat, while introducing gameplay elements never before seen in previous installments. As a result, new and returning players alike can craft a truly memorable and unique journey through the Netherworlds. Bring the pain in battle with special attacks and support from a plethora of ally units. Customizable settings such as Auto, Retry, and Replay allow both hardcore and casual players to fight their own way. And should things take a terrible turn, use Super Reincarnation to rejoin the fight and keep trying until you succeed. This truly is a Netherworld fit for everyone!

Auto, Retry, and Replay, huh? Auto-play on a Disgaea game? Replay sounds interesting, so no having to re-enter the menu when you finish grinding a map? Hm.

And Super Reincarnation is... a stated mechanic. Does the main character stand back up if you wipe out?

JP site dive:

Main visual:

ElbWIS4t.png

Got some generic classes. Main character and his sister Bieko. The King guy that looks like a playing card, as well as... a robot catgirl? And the new Prisim Ranger Red is a girl with a sword? Thank you sir, I'll buy three.

It's looking promising.

Other cited main characters on the JP page are... A Zombie Dog, ケルベロス Kerberos
    A Demon King (golden horns and armor) named イヴャール (Ivyaaru, a name that was used in a Sound Horizon album, and localized as "Hiver." It means winter in French according to that page, and Winter in french is "Hiver." French accent inbound?)
    And an ... unknown that looks like a cross between Desco from Disgaea 5 and Darkdeath Evilman, who I'm guessing is our God of Destruction.

Edit: US page was updated as I was typing that.... Cerebrerus, Ivar, and God of Destruction, yup.

Vjb7LYHt.png

The main Visual on the US page shows the Prism Ranger Red girl, Ivar, and a... White Succubus. As well as a Magical Girl Demon. So those are probably unannounced characters. And of course, we have the Disgaea 1 team in the trailer.

Hype. So much hype.

KiTA on
  • Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Is there a reason 3 has never been re-released on any other systems? It's the only one I've never played.

I'm ambivalent about the move to 3D but it does seem like they did a nice job with the models.

It's on Vita too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I had convinced myself I had dreamed some of the stuff in Disgaea 3 because I didn't realize it hadn't been re-released since the Vita. Maybe it will come to Steam sometime. I think I liked that one?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

I highly recommend 4 Complete. It's not too far below 5, and in fact some aspects of the endgame gameplay are more convenient (duplicating your items).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I recently started playing through 4 again. The fact that spell target areas only increase when you boost the skill level at the evility shop really bothers me for some reason.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That bugged me too, I like how 5 handled it (either increase power or target area separately).

It was mostly a problem because it cost more SP after leveling it up too. It's a long time before it's economical to do that.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Really wish they revamped the magic system in Disgaea. All 5 so far have just been awful to the point I don't want to even deal with mages, and dealing with mages is my thing when it comes to power fantasies.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    And Super Reincarnation is... a stated mechanic. Does the main character stand back up if you wipe out?

Something like Zettai Hero Project maybe? That's what comes to mind for me.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Talith wrote: »
    Really wish they revamped the magic system in Disgaea. All 5 so far have just been awful to the point I don't want to even deal with mages, and dealing with mages is my thing when it comes to power fantasies.

The whole elemental system is just kind of nonsense and not worth dealing with/thinking about, and that's what mages are supposed to specialize in so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 onward, when monsters stopped being garbage, I let a monster be my mage and/or used star stuff to not have to think about or deal with it.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Huh, I thought mages have always been awesome. They're always one of the two best types of attacks to use.

Disgaea 1, the whole meta revolves around swords and spells. You teach everyone Tera Star, Omega Heal and Espoir.

Actually I just did that in 5 too. Tera Star is my go-to killer in the endgame right now. The crazy range plus the customizable area size is perfect. I clear most of the level with Land Decimator, and then Tera Star the strongest guys who remain like bosses.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    As an aside, if you are a Nintendo Switch Online subscriber, as a celebration of Disgaea 6 being announced, Disgaea 5 is free to play between 9/23 and 9/29.

• Options
    There should be a Disgaea DLC or side story about a demon baker who is absolutely terrible at baking and makes disgusting cakes and he gets so annoyed at his lack of success that he decides to start leveling up and growing stronger in order to dive into his own cakes' item world and level up the cakes to epic level, so people will buy and enjoy his epic cakes.

• Options
    I want Disgaea Zero that stars Baal before he became, well, THAT. Make it a time travel clusterduck where every other Disgaea cast keeps trying to kill him before he gets too strong to be stopped, or something.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm now expecting Asagi in 6 to be in sprite form, lamenting that she's not in 3D. Similar to the gag in D4 where she has the old blurry pixel look over the hi res portraits everybody else has.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I want Soul Nomad 2.

I wouldn't mind a La Pucelle 2 either though.

Rhapsody can stay dead.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I'm calling it now: The main character in 6 isn't immortal. His sister's a necromancer and constantly reviving him, which is slowly killing her.

bh0nga1bvvrc.png

• Options
    That's really good.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Excited for this news. I thought Disgaea was dead as a series for a while.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i feel like disgaea is the only thing that makes NIS money, i dont think it's dead. they have been trying to release a bunch of the games on every platform that they can.

• Options
    Disgaea is the game NIS brings out when they need to avoid bankruptcy again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Disgaea is the game NIS brings out when they need to avoid bankruptcy again.

From what I had heard, it was the series that almost caused them bankruptcy in the first place.

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-nippon-ichi-software-close-to-bankruptcy/
    Today we have some disturbing news to share with you about Nippon Ichi Software, one of the biggest Japanese publishers in the video game industry.

A Nippon Ichi Software shareholder report this week published that the compensation limit for executives has been increased to five times of what it previously was before. This coincided with the sharp drop in the company’s stock due to troubles with the Disgaea mobile project.

Many now believe that the increase in executive compensation and other factors seen in previous months is a “cut and run” before Nippon Ichi Software goes into bankruptcy. Though the signs are pointing to that we certainly hope that’s not the case.