As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

• Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    So I just started playing Persona 4 on hard with new game plus. The problem is I'm starting to worry with the heavy amount of grinding that seems to be necessary to make it through dungeons that my goal of maxing all social links will be too difficult with so many days devoted to dungeons(wringing every bit of SP i can before sleeping) and not social linking. Is this worry unfounded now that I know what I'm doing as far as having the right card in my deck and other things I didn't know when first playing the game or is it fairly easy if I devote my time to it?

You should have your stats maxed since your first playtrough, or at least nearly so. With this it's easy to rush the hermit (fox) link to rank 6-7 early on and make sure you have infinite sp in dungeons. With this you just clear out the dungeons in one day every time. The only dungeon you will probably need 2 days for is the first one, unless you are really good at finding abusable persona combos. Just pick the first day you can't access any social links and clear the dungeon completely then, rainy days are preferably, but any day is fine really. I usually clear the last dungeon for the new special boss (apart from the first dungeon, as that boss is stupidly hard), and then make my way trough the new one.

And important trick early on is to check both the drink dispensers in the shopping district every week. One sells TaP soda, which is 10 sp per item, and the other sells a bunch of different ones which are all 5 sp per item. These help a lot for the first dungeon, and a bit for the second to alleviate the money needed for the fox. Once you get to the third one you should have fox high enough that your forays into the dungeons are net gains.

Yeah, I stopped playing for the night after going into the castle again for the new boss and getting one hundred to zeroed by rampage at level 20.

So are you saying that boss is an anomaly, because I can not conceivably see getting to a high enough level in the castle to be able to defeat him, and if that trend continues I think I might just start over on normal.

UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    For that boss I fused a persona with null physical, hit triangle and walked away for a few minutes.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If you farm up four physical mirrors, then use them on each party member before he uses rampage, uuuuurrrvrything reflects back to him and he practically one-turns himself.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Or you can just do what everybody else does and just revisit the dungeon later.

Yes, he's unusual, the other bonus bosses are nowhere near as difficult.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Argh. Polaris is a bastard in Devil Survivor 2, especially because on the first runthrough grinding is very tedious. I can get to stage 3 easily enough but then I can't manage to kill him (which would take two or three fights tops) before a bunch of demon trash mobs chip me away before he fires off a supernova and wipes almost everyone.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that guy is by far the most difficult. I think the bonus dungeon bosses are like 10 levels higher than you should be when you clear the dungeon, but at that point, that makes him like twice as strong as you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    My "Only use the main character's starter Persona" run is going rather well.

Character LV20
    Izanagi LV17

Strength 15
    Magic 15
    Endurance 22
    Agility 19
    Luck 15

Zio
    Mabufu
    Dia
    Cleave
    Rakunda
    Sukunda
    Tarunda
    Old One

Noticeably better stats than any of my party members and the skills I've gotten from skill cards and Skill+ aren't bad.

For some bizarre reason, all of the single target -nda skills are considered rank 1 skills.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    So I just started playing Persona 4 on hard with new game plus. The problem is I'm starting to worry with the heavy amount of grinding that seems to be necessary to make it through dungeons that my goal of maxing all social links will be too difficult with so many days devoted to dungeons(wringing every bit of SP i can before sleeping) and not social linking. Is this worry unfounded now that I know what I'm doing as far as having the right card in my deck and other things I didn't know when first playing the game or is it fairly easy if I devote my time to it?

You should have your stats maxed since your first playtrough, or at least nearly so. With this it's easy to rush the hermit (fox) link to rank 6-7 early on and make sure you have infinite sp in dungeons. With this you just clear out the dungeons in one day every time. The only dungeon you will probably need 2 days for is the first one, unless you are really good at finding abusable persona combos. Just pick the first day you can't access any social links and clear the dungeon completely then, rainy days are preferably, but any day is fine really. I usually clear the last dungeon for the new special boss (apart from the first dungeon, as that boss is stupidly hard), and then make my way trough the new one.

And important trick early on is to check both the drink dispensers in the shopping district every week. One sells TaP soda, which is 10 sp per item, and the other sells a bunch of different ones which are all 5 sp per item. These help a lot for the first dungeon, and a bit for the second to alleviate the money needed for the fox. Once you get to the third one you should have fox high enough that your forays into the dungeons are net gains.

Yeah, I stopped playing for the night after going into the castle again for the new boss and getting one hundred to zeroed by rampage at level 20.

So are you saying that boss is an anomaly, because I can not conceivably see getting to a high enough level in the castle to be able to defeat him, and if that trend continues I think I might just start over on normal.

Unless you luck out with fusing a persona with strong against physical early, and you are playing p4 golden with the skill change card making it null physical I wouldn't go for him until after you cleared the entire second dungeon. He is simply a terribly balanced boss, since he can do more damage than most bosses without any actual tells or ways to avoid it.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    He doesn't have that many HP though so you might just wanna try burning him down as fast as possible while praying he doesn't use Rampage.
    Or just come back after clearing the next dungeon, no one will blame you.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    P4 anime question: I'm interested in it. First off, vol. 2 isn't out yet? Second, apparently the DVDs have English and Japanese but the Blu-Rays don't? That sucks. I was hoping for the Blu-Rays.

That said, I'm used to the English VA since I've played P4G. I'm usually a subs guy but the dubs will sound normal to me in this case. Does anyone know if the Blu-Rau version is significantly sharper/better looking than the DVD version? If so, maybe I will go with the BR version.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    P4 anime question: I'm interested in it. First off, vol. 2 isn't out yet? Second, apparently the DVDs have English and Japanese but the Blu-Rays don't? That sucks. I was hoping for the Blu-Rays.

That said, I'm used to the English VA since I've played P4G. I'm usually a subs guy but the dubs will sound normal to me in this case. Does anyone know if the Blu-Rau version is significantly sharper/better looking than the DVD version? If so, maybe I will go with the BR version.

Second half comes Jan 15. The Blu-Rays are also stripped of extras apparenlty (commentery, a director's cut of episode 1, promos and specials), if you care about that.

I guess this is an example of fears of reverse exportation, because I believe the last volume of the series came out in Japan only a few months ago. It's reason like this that a lot of anime typically gets a domestic release around 8 months after being finished in Japan.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

If you just want to watch it, then worry about getting the best version (and english dubs) later, it's available on Hulu for free. The only thing missing is Episode 26, which covers the True Ending stuff.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Wait, really? I didn't know. Thanks!

The Hulu version is the English dubbed version, I assume?

Drez on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Wait, really? I didn't know. Thanks!

The Hulu version is the English dubbed version, I assume?

Japanese voiced with english subs. It's a little weird at first (espcially Igor and Teddie), but you kinda stop noticing it after a few episodes.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So, despite having bought 6 SMT titles in the last 2 years, I've yet to sink any real time into any of them. For reasons related more to convenience than anything else, I've decided to start with Strange Journey. Can someone indulge a beginner and suggest some early-game strategies? I want to start fusing demons but I'm unsure if it's worth it when I'd be sacrificing Demon Co-op due to the post-fusion alignment changes.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Woooo!

IsHJ1.jpg

Christmas present to myself will be a PS2.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So, despite having bought 6 SMT titles in the last 2 years, I've yet to sink any real time into any of them. For reasons related more to convenience than anything else, I've decided to start with Strange Journey. Can someone indulge a beginner and suggest some early-game strategies? I want to start fusing demons but an unsure if it's worth it when I'd be sacrificing Demon Co-op due to the post-fusion alignment changes.

Demon co-op ain't that important most of the time, it mostly just comes into play for bosses, and even then good demons are better than having them all being the same alignment.

In general SJ rewards careful play and preparation above all else, it really is a game where you win many fights in which demons you bring rather than your actions during the fight. Just keep fusing demons to get new and more powerful ones as soon as you can. It is usually worth keeping a demon around until you get it's source though, as they sometimes give pretty damn good skills.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I've always kind of wanted a copy of Lucifer's Call. Neat collectible.

And by some miracle in five minutes of grinding before work, I got Messiah to produce Shoes of Light.

Come at me, Lizzie.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If you're more curious about why Soul Hackers is so one-of-a-kind, this trailer me and Cckerberos fansubbed should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYjAxKBf7E

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Woooo!

IsHJ1.jpg

Christmas present to myself will be a PS2.

I'm jealous. :(

• Options
    Chi You with heart item get. So far Elizabeth's killed me the most with her attacks, so hopefully he'll lessen the sting. (Str to Pierce/Slash, mine has Growth 3, High Counter, Enduring Soul, and an Absorb Strike that I need gone).

Any good Persona that are strong to all three and maybe an element or two?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    If you aren't playing vanilla, Orpheus Telos is strong against everything. Otherwise, Alilat and Attis are naturally strong against all three, though they're weak to darkness and light respectively. Keep in mind that you need to give Alilat junk skills since it learns all three repel [phys type] skills.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    I'm not, and yeah, I think I'll need Alilat. I have her pattern down element wise, but the random physicals keep doing me in. And I can't go without a STR element; Maragidyne does 300 with, 700+ without.

Boy this must take forever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    There's an accessory (Divine Pillar) that halves all elemental damage taken, you might want to look into getting one for the fight.

• Options
    I didn't find Marg terribly difficult but I cannot remember what I used to keel her.

• Options
    Margaret was a joke. Elizabeth is the true challenge, which was why I looked forward to it.

She isn't nearly as unfair as Hitoshura, but the Nebiros status effect phase is definitely the Pixie-Dormina equivalent.

You fall asleep or get muted, you can't cast Infinity to survive Megidolaon, and it's over.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Margaret was a joke. Elizabeth is the true challenge, which was why I looked forward to it.

She isn't nearly as unfair as Hitoshura, but the Nebiros status effect phase is definitely the Pixie-Dormina equivalent.

You fall asleep or get muted, you can't cast Infinity to survive Megidolaon, and it's over.

You are using Personas with Unshaken Will, right?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

You are using Personas with Unshaken Will, right?

You're the first person to mention it, so no.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Well, seeing as how it makes sure the only ailment that can ever affect you is Poison, it's a pretty great idea.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    I'll see if I have any with it, but that'll be another skill to add to the growing list of required inheritances.

From what I'm reading, I should start working on doing more damage with mind charged magic.

High counter almost never goes off for me. Most I got was 1.2k off her.

Rakukaja helps, but not much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Finally got Asura and Susano-O. Not sure if I want to use Asura or Alilat/w Unshaken Will for the status round, but I'm guessing Asura's capable of doing more damage.

Is Alilat guaranteed to have a heart item?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    In Persona 4 Golden:
    Platinum trophy get! Woo. It took approximately 125 hours and two playthroughs total (since you can only fight a certain bonus boss in the 2nd playthrough). The thing that tripped me up was the fact that you had to defeat all of the optional bosses in the previous dungeons by the time you finish the Magatsu Inaba dungeon in order for the optional trophy boss to spawn. I didn't do this, and thus I had to redo my progress from Christmas to the end of the game. :-P Fortunately, I had plenty of backup saves.

The worst trophy on the list was Hardcore Risette fan, mostly because there's no counter or checklist or other method that shows what lines have already been unlocked for the trophy. If you overlevel yourself, you'll have a hard time getting it because quite a few lines appear when you face a foe 10 levels higher than you are. It also forces you to play with all of the characters in your team, which can be a bit time-consuming.

Also, the fish in the Shiroku Pub at night gets truly massive. It doesn't appear that you get huge tangible rewards for feeding it, but it was amusing to see it grow as I played through the game. I was half expecting the fish to disappear one day, and the pub owner to say "Yeah, we killed it, and cooked it." D:

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Divine Pillar get. ... three Homunculi left. This won't be pretty.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Well it might not be quite the accomplishment that Elizabeth is, but did a solo run of Persona 4's secret boss!
    TAvOB.jpg?1
    uedtF.jpg?1
    aTUGj.jpg?1
    2ntFf.jpg?1

I think I'll probably ignore the Hardcore Risette trophy until some third playthrough long in the future, definitely can't be bothered with that right now. Back to making a stab at Nocturne, I think.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    "Hardcore Risette"?

• Options
    Taking on Margaret solo is pretty impressive.
    Well, I guess no-Okami makes it a lot easier.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    "Hardcore Risette"?
    It's a Vita trophy for Persona 4 Golden. You have to listen to 250 unique navigation lines from Rise. Things like "There are two enemies here." or "It's weak to Ice!" There's no indication in the game as to what is a valid line for the trophy (is it JUST in-battle or does it include comments about costumes?), and there's no counter or checklist in-game to keep track of the trophy. Huge pain, unless you are good at book-keeping.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Yep, did 1k damage to her, only lost when I ran out of Homunculi. I'm gonna need a LOT more.

If I can get those, I should be (pardon the pun) golden. She never missed a single Hama or Mudo.

Divine Pillar helped a ton though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I don't even remember my battle with Liz :(

edit: I mean, I know I beat her, and I vaguely remember the mechanics, but the specifics of my battle with her are hazy.

Drez on
  • Options
    Are there any bad Shin Megami Tensei games on the PS2?