As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That was just a test run at her, and the strategy I read entailed hitting her with Armageddon, surviving with Idol, then hitting her again. Didn't expect her standard attack to be so brutal though.
    Armageddon should only be used once she's below 10K health. Since she DOES do a full heal then, if you don't kill her before that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well that and the themes aren't literal. They are a basic emotion but twisted in such a way as to get the maximum reaction out of the person. The underlying theme of the dungeon is still a valid interpretation of the emotion, but its not an actual representation of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hello new SMT thread. I didn't see you there.

Sooo relationships:
    I'm finding that P4G is going to make me feel things for some of these characters, even the secondary S.link ones. I'm in the later part of the game and finally maxed Yumi's link. After going through all the events up to that point, she finally pours her heart out and tells me she loves me. Not knowing what locks you into a relationship, I walked away and didn't say anything. Now I feel like an asshole. Does anyone know if there are end S.link choices that lock you into a dating relationship at the end or do you have reject every character?

Also, between the minor events up to now, the Secret Lab, and P4A, I'm still going Team Naoto. Haters be damned.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    There are four of them that will put you on the spot.
    Yukiko, Rise, Yumi and Ai.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

By four I think you mean six.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Funny, my impression of the protagonist is that, yes, he's a dork. But he's an unusually unassuming badass alpha-male sort of dork. Ergo, why the girls keep hanging off of him and why all these adults choose to confide in him.

I'm not sure this is a thing that exists.

He's a socially awkward Mary Sue! Does everything well. Balances a rich and varied social life with good grades, part-time jobs and dealing with magic murder shit. Also: His soul is a metaphorical sea of demons.

Huuurrrm. Yeah, I'm not sure this is a thing that exists.

There is literally nothing he does in the game or anime that is above average in execution. I mean really, did you just not go to highschool? Did you never notice there are plenty of popular kids who do all this? 4.3 GPA, work, do band, go to various volunteer things, have significant others, etc, etc?

I think someone just had a cripplingly terrible highschool life and hates Yu because of it. :(

I'm still trucking through the game, but I think Golden added the first thing that I've seen the investigation team do that wouldn't be possible (you know, aside from the whole walking into a TV and summoning aspects of your psyche to fight repressed feelings thing) in the regular course of high school.

Early October
    All of the gang learns how to play musical instruments in a single day to help Rise put a concert on at Junes. It's a cool scene and there's some good jokes, but man are you kidding? :rotate:

• Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    So I just started playing Persona 4 on hard with new game plus. The problem is I'm starting to worry with the heavy amount of grinding that seems to be necessary to make it through dungeons that my goal of maxing all social links will be too difficult with so many days devoted to dungeons(wringing every bit of SP i can before sleeping) and not social linking. Is this worry unfounded now that I know what I'm doing as far as having the right card in my deck and other things I didn't know when first playing the game or is it fairly easy if I devote my time to it?

UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options

By four I think you mean six.

Sorry I meant those are the four who outright go "please be mine." The rest react to a friendzoning with "yay, friendship rules!"

Fuck em. Yukiko is my boring, educated, bubbly, closet freak of a waifu.

@ParisInFlames I wrote my brother an entire mini guide on making sure you dont actually fuck yourself on time and SP. I will cut/paste the juicy parts for you tonight.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Funny, my impression of the protagonist is that, yes, he's a dork. But he's an unusually unassuming badass alpha-male sort of dork. Ergo, why the girls keep hanging off of him and why all these adults choose to confide in him.

He's a socially awkward Mary Sue! Does everything well. Balances a rich and varied social life with good grades, part-time jobs and dealing with magic murder shit. Also: His soul is a metaphorical sea of demons.

There is literally nothing he does in the game or anime that is above average in execution. I mean really, did you just not go to highschool? Did you never notice there are plenty of popular kids who do all this? 4.3 GPA, work, do band, go to various volunteer things, have significant others, etc, etc?

I think someone just had a cripplingly terrible highschool life and hates Yu because of it. :(

I'm still trucking through the game, but I think Golden added the first thing that I've seen the investigation team do that wouldn't be possible (you know, aside from the whole walking into a TV and summoning aspects of your psyche to fight repressed feelings thing) in the regular course of high school.

Early October
    All of the gang learns how to play musical instruments in a single day to help Rise put a concert on at Junes. It's a cool scene and there's some good jokes, but man are you kidding? :rotate:
    Yosuke already knew how to play guitar, Naoto knows piano already, and one of the dialogue choices was that you already know how to play bass. :P So really it's just Kanji learning how to play drums and Yukiko and Chie learning ten seconds of sax and trumpet. And Kanji is very good at hitting things.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So I just started playing Persona 4 on hard with new game plus. The problem is I'm starting to worry with the heavy amount of grinding that seems to be necessary to make it through dungeons that my goal of maxing all social links will be too difficult with so many days devoted to dungeons(wringing every bit of SP i can before sleeping) and not social linking. Is this worry unfounded now that I know what I'm doing as far as having the right card in my deck and other things I didn't know when first playing the game or is it fairly easy if I devote my time to it?

You should have your stats maxed since your first playtrough, or at least nearly so. With this it's easy to rush the hermit (fox) link to rank 6-7 early on and make sure you have infinite sp in dungeons. With this you just clear out the dungeons in one day every time. The only dungeon you will probably need 2 days for is the first one, unless you are really good at finding abusable persona combos. Just pick the first day you can't access any social links and clear the dungeon completely then, rainy days are preferably, but any day is fine really. I usually clear the last dungeon for the new special boss (apart from the first dungeon, as that boss is stupidly hard), and then make my way trough the new one.

And important trick early on is to check both the drink dispensers in the shopping district every week. One sells TaP soda, which is 10 sp per item, and the other sells a bunch of different ones which are all 5 sp per item. These help a lot for the first dungeon, and a bit for the second to alleviate the money needed for the fox. Once you get to the third one you should have fox high enough that your forays into the dungeons are net gains.

• Options
    That pretty much covers it

One last thing. In preemptive fights, all four of your team get to move once but Yu always goes first. This tempts players into ending battle after battle with him alone. This causes him to burn through SP. If you are in a preemptive battle and can afford the risk, let other characters with the right magic do your knockdowns.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

Try and save dungeon visits for rainy days so there's little social link conflict. Don't complete the December dungeon until the 22nd. Prioritise Death Arcana on Sundays because you lose a lot of those.

Remember that to start Naoto and Kanji's S link you have additional steps where you need to talk to them, then talk to the person they mention, then talk to them again. I think the earliest you can start Naoto is 21st October.

If you talk to someone and it says your relationship won't advance hang out with someone else, then at night skip out on your evening job and either go and make an offering at the shrine until it says "your relationship will become closer soon" (assuming P4G).

Try using hp skills when dungeon crawling because they're a lot more economical.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

One last thing. In preemptive fights, all four of your team get to move once but Yu always goes first. This tempts players into ending battle after battle with him alone. This causes him to burn through SP. If you are in a preemptive battle and can afford the risk, let other characters with the right magic do your knockdowns.

I usually get sp regen skills for main, and end battles with him alone to minimise costs. I always keep all 4 elements on him though. Early onish you can get sarasvati, which gets +5 sp per turn, if playing golden that can become +7. Later on there is a skill which gives you 8% sp after the fight, which basically means you oneshot things for free if they have an elemental weakness. Yatagarasu is the first one I can think of who has that. Need a few ranks of the sun s.link to make it easy to unlock though, as it is the final skill it gets.

• Options
    Gdon gets Growth 2 at level 33 so pass that on to Yatagarusu with an easy 3 Sun persona fusion and you'll not have any problems getting Cool Breeze.

ladi.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

I usually get sp regen skills for main, and end battles with him alone to minimise costs. I always keep all 4 elements on him though. Early onish you can get sarasvati, which gets +5 sp per turn, if playing golden that can become +7. Later on there is a skill which gives you 8% sp after the fight, which basically means you oneshot things for free if they have an elemental weakness. Yatagarasu is the first one I can think of who has that. Need a few ranks of the sun s.link to make it easy to unlock though, as it is the final skill it gets.

I was worried I'd have to go to kanji's dungeon on a second day on my first playthrough. managed to get a sarasvati with sp regen -and- hp regen. so choice. dungeon complete.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Swag memes aside, Yu is a zombie epitomizing everything wrong with "stoic" JRPG heroes.
    This is sad, because aside from being completely mute, P4MC had a few things that hinted at his personality and it was "actually kind of a huge dork."

Yu in the anime had a pretty decent personality. Just because someone isn't flagrant doesn't mean they don't. He expresses a lot of things (Like even using the term 'stuck here' when discussing Inaba, indicating he doesn't really want to be there at first.)

I know subtle things aren't very popular on the interwebs, but I think he's one of the better written people in the anime, actually.

A bit late to the discussion, but Yu is pretty much a big dork in the anime. He looks so damn proud about showing off the bathing suit Dojima gets him on the camping trip. There's plenty of scenes where he's the goofball and not the straight man.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Hey now. Hate? Not really.
    I just question how anybody has the time to do all of that in under a year while rushing to save lives in mystery dimension X.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was going to say, in the context of the game, his combat abilities are way above average. I dunno how it is for Golden, but P4 Vanilla, after probably the 2nd dungeon, was basically MC + 3 cheerleaders.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2012

In "New Game+" you get your old database of personas and your money. You use Protagonist as your "carry" to drag everybody else's levels up after you've rushed to the dungeon save-point. The point is to dodge as many encounters as possible on the way to the top and to use your Protagonist to blow through the rest. Then you have your foothold in the dungeon. Barring that, you can just kill the boss and grind in the next dungeon instead. I'm using a MOBA term here, but the "carry" is basically the person who "carries the team to victory" and is typically the guy with the dps.

If you fused Victory Cry or it's weaker counterpart (Cool Breeze?) on a Persona, then SP is also a non-issue, as you basically have an infinite amount. Fusing Victory Cry is possible at fairly low levels, and it involves some Forecast and Fusion shenanigans. The Hermit Link gives you the SP store, and it's pretty cost-effective since you typically farm enough money to sustain SP infinitely, assuming you have effective carry Personas.

Consequently it shouldn't take more than one or two days of grinding per "rescue" to get where you need to be.

It's possible to Max all your links on a normal playthrough by following certain FAQ's written by various peoples on the internet.

TL;DR
    New Game+ is a snorefest if you're even moderately powerful from the last game.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if you're low on SP as the game goes on you can really just go back to the castle and abuse SOS and cup cards for a while, but that can get pretty dull

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Well, it is implied he's actually really good in a fight.

• Options
    Well also, my impression of "Yu" is partly formed my picking all the self-assured options for the cross-dressing event.

Dude, I be an emotional anchor for the team.

• Options
    The protagonist has a grand total of eleven friends his own age and never goes out to parties or similar. His time working totals barely 40 days, I know schools that have compulsory work experience longer than that. He does magical murder shit, sure - do you see a computer or a console in that room? Think of all the mysteries you could have solved if you hadn't spent your youth playing games like Persona 4. Literally all the rest of his free time is spent reading, studying or making models.

Sea of demons I'll grant you, but the whole point is that the demons are really shitty and weak if he isn't supported by strong bonds with others.

ladi.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Okay, as I understand it, I have three ways of taking down Ms. V:

1. Armageddon from the start. Pray I survive long enough to high counter her below 10k, then Armageddon one more time to end it. (Theoretically she won't Diarahan after the first Armageddon since she'll have 10,001 HP.)

2. Slow and tedious to 10k, then HC below 1k, then AG.

3. Knock down drag out war.

Working on my Personae still, but I'll take any recommendations. (I'm not too sure how useful Vishnu/Ananta's combo will be...)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Zidane Tribal holds my standard for a socially healthy JRPG hero. He wants a girlfriend? He pays her compliments, expresses interest in her life, and asks questions. He talks to her with a big smile on his face, all day erreday. And since she is not the center of his universe, he does the same thing with other friends, who he genuinely gives a shit about. He calls characters out on their bullshit, including the girl. Game-Yu has to do pretty much the same thing. If he does not, he gets nowhere with no girl, not even with the characters who want him the most. My second favorite JRPG hero is Stocke from Radiant Historia. I give a special mention to Ryudo from Grandia II because of one moment. The guy is an asshole but when he starts to calm down and realize that two girls are on the verge of coming to blows over him, he does something I have never seen before in such an RPG protagonist and will probably never see again: he takes a moment and talks to each girl one by one, admits he doesn't know what relationship he wants and apologizes for making an awkward situation even more difficult. Fuckin' classy. If anyone has seen that anywhere else, please let me know what game and I'll probably play it.

And what does Anime-Yu do? The same thing all the Cloud Strifes and Ikes out there do: Stare into space while girls throw their vaginae at him. Except he's not brain-fucked or waging a war. Mary fucking Sue.

But what's this? If they made Anime-Yu want a girlfriend the Internet would explode and Atlus would be hit by suicide bombers? How do they fix this with Yu being a decent human being? He could say something like "ladies, you're all very nice but I can't be in a relationship because I'm not staying in Inaba and I don't think it's a good idea so please lets just be friends." And that's just one example that would need to be backed up with more words and more actions. But no, the anime took the low road because sex sells.

Cantido on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Haha, and that's how "nice guys" are born. But-but-but in works in anime!

sig.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Do Counterstrike and High Counter stack?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Zidane Tribal holds my standard for a socially healthy JRPG hero. He wants a girlfriend? He pays her compliments, expresses interest in her life, and asks questions. He talks to her with a big smile on his face, all day erreday. And since she is not the center of his universe, he does the same thing with other friends, who he genuinely gives a shit about. He calls characters out on their bullshit, including the girl. Game-Yu has to do pretty much the same thing. If he does not, he gets nowhere with no girl, not even with the characters who want him the most. My second favorite JRPG hero is Stocke from Radiant Historia. I give a special mention to Ryudo from Grandia II because of one moment. The guy is an asshole but when he starts to calm down and realize that two girls are on the verge of coming to blows over him, he does something I have never seen before in such an RPG protagonist and will probably never see again: he takes a moment and talks to each girl one by one, admits he doesn't know what relationship he wants and apologizes for making an awkward situation even more difficult. Fuckin' classy. If anyone has seen that anywhere else, please let me know what game and I'll probably play it.

And what does Anime-Yu do? The same thing all the Cloud Strifes and Ikes out there do: Stare into space while girls throw their vaginae at him. Except he's not brain-fucked or waging a war. Mary fucking Sue.

Eh, he's hardly a chick magnet in the anime. The only who really expresses her interest in him is Rise, it's only slightly hinted at with the other girls, but that's it..and he himself doesn't seem to be romantically interested in any of them.

King's Game doesn't count :rotate:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Zidane sucks, along with the rest of FFIX.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Michael looks like my go-to guy for her wind/lightning phase. Kaiwan might be the best for fire/ice, since he resists both. Growth 3 and High Counter for everyone!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Okay. That was a fun hour.

In all likelihood, here's Team Elizabeth Must Die(for me):
    Satan
    Maragidyne/Growth 3/Die For Me!/Repel Light/Black Viper/Morning Star/Absorb Slash/High Counter

Lucifer
    God's Hand/Maragidyne/Absorb Slash/Victory Cry/Salvation/Morning Star/Growth 3/Invigorate 3

Shiva
    Maziodyne/Enduring Soul/Sexy Dance/Matarukaja/Pralaya/Invigorate 3/Victory Cry/Auto-Rakukaja

Raphael (Str Ice)
    Deathbound/Auto-Maraku/Null Charm/Fire Amp/Growth 3/High Counter/Mediarahan/Tempest Slash

Thor
    Ziodyne/Gigantic Fist/High Counter/Invigorate 1/Evil Smile/Dekunda/Mind Charge/Auto-Mataru

Trumpeter
    Mudoon/Growth 3/High Counter/Mahamaon/Mamudoon/Mabufudyne/Ice Break/Null Slash

Ananta
    Hamaon/Growth 3/Dekunda/High Counter/Diarahan/Evade Pierce/Sexy Dance/Invigorate 1

Messiah (w/item)
    Megidolaon/Salvation/Regeneration 3/Die For Me!/1hSwd Master/Charm Boost(!?)/Invigorate 3/Absorb Pierce

Vishnu
    Akasha Arts/Ziodyne/Elec Boost/Growth 3/Mind Charge/Marakunda/God's Hand/Salvation

Michael(Resist Wind/Elec)
    Maziodyne/Mediarahan/Growth 3/Apt Pupil/Mind Charge/Marakakarn/High Counter/Magarudyne

Kaiwan(Resist Ice/Fire)
    Virus Breath/Spirit Drain/Evade Pierce/Maragion/Growth 3/High Counter/Mind Charge/Invigorate 2

Anubis
    Mahamaon/Mamudoon/Growth 3/High Counter/Null Ice/Makarakarn/Regenerate 3/Repel Elec
    (Yeah, using him would be suicide. Fusion fodder.)

What is Elizabeth's physical attack considered, strike?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Do Counterstrike and High Counter stack?

Nope.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Man. Rise's S. Link is rough.
    Act like a decent human being and comfort her while she's crying uncontrollably which makes her your girlfriend, or stand there doing nothing like a giant dick until, presumably, she just....stops crying?

Luckily, I was going for her but, man....NG+ is going to make me feel bad.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Man. Rise's S. Link is rough.
    Act like a decent human being and comfort her while she's crying uncontrollably which makes her your girlfriend, or stand there doing nothing like a giant dick until, presumably, she just....stops crying?

Luckily, I was going for her but, man....NG+ is going to make me feel bad.

The other option?
    Still in tears she tries to pull it together, saying that she still has her friends and sempai even though she feels she threw her career away. At rank 10 she gives him her photo and autograph and admits she loves him anyway.

My brother and sister are getting this game, and my Vita, since I'm done with it. I can't wait for them to weigh in on Rise because they're both actors and I hate the little brat.

• Options
    Scaling Monad is easily the most frustrating part about this. Couldn't make the stairs easy to find, could they?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I swear this FAQ is mocking me. Her order is Surt, Jack, Thor, Cu Chulainn, THEN Masakados. I learned that the hard way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm just glad I finally got my Hardcore Risette trophy done. Ugh. I had overleveled a bit, so I don't think I got the navigation lines involving higher level opponents. My helpful hint, other than using all of the team members so you can get all of their individual lines, is to head to the Secret Bunker and find the Mind Dice (middle floors, I think I found some on Floors 6-7). They are immune to physical and cast Debilitate, and do nothing but cast that and go on Standby as long as you don't damage them. You can get all of the "X's agility/defense/offense has been reduced" lines for all of your characters there pretty easily.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Okay, that was my bad. I had Michael up who repelled Hama when she switched to Metatron.

Whoops.

I'm learning, though. This won't NEARLY be bad as Hitoshura was.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

But what's this? If they made Anime-Yu want a girlfriend the Internet would explode and Atlus would be hit by suicide bombers? How do they fix this with Yu being a decent human being? He could say something like "ladies, you're all very nice but I can't be in a relationship because I'm not staying in Inaba and I don't think it's a good idea so please lets just be friends." And that's just one example that would need to be backed up with more words and more actions. But no, the anime took the low road because sex sells.

Anime-Yu actually looks pretty excited when he thinks Ai is going to confess to him. Then looks pretty bummed when she admits she likes whats his face.

There is a lot of little scenes like that. I think the anime just works off the premise that they are looking for a murderer a bit better then the game does in most situations. Not exactly chick hunting weather.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Scaling Monad is easily the most frustrating part about this. Couldn't make the stairs easy to find, could they?

This is the power of the Monado.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576