As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Nocturne makes a hell of a lot more sense if you've played 1 and 2, but in the aggregate that's not that much.

And even then it's only if you make some not-strictly-obvious connections between them.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    There's that but it also helps you understand what the heck some of the ghosts are on about.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    If you're on the fence about DDS, buy it. If you're not on the fence, buy it anyway. Really, the only reason not to buy it is if you already own a copy.

The mechanics are lovely, the story is interesting and non-traditional, and the music is sublime.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    I'd argue all three of those points. The game is ugly, the music is more dissonant crap and the mechanics are easily abusable and not as deep as other Megaten games. It's a good my first Megaten game with the only standout being the slightly hard optional boss at the end of part 1.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The important thing when giving advice on whether or not to get a game is to weigh your own biases versus those of your audience. Something not appealing to your tastes may not be indicative of a bad game. I suspect, Xeno, that you are in the minority in being enamored of game mechanics first and foremost.

(This is why I preface a lot of my recommendations with my general dislike for the JRPG genre. It gives context)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Somebody bottom line it for me:

Is Soul Hackers anything I would enjoy, as someone who leans more Persona than SMT?

In terms of story, it's more Persona than SMT(a group of friends up against something way out of their league), so yes.

The gameplay is dungeon crawling, but the battle system is fast and fluid, and looks quite sharp. Don't let it pass you by.

Also, how many cyberpunk JRPGs do you know of? That's a selling point right there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It's looking like a game that I have no chance of finishing, but fuck it I'll buy.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Swag memes aside, Yu is a zombie epitomizing everything wrong with "stoic" JRPG heroes.
    This is sad, because aside from being completely mute, P4MC had a few things that hinted at his personality and it was "actually kind of a huge dork."

Yu in the anime had a pretty decent personality. Just because someone isn't flagrant doesn't mean they don't. He expresses a lot of things (Like even using the term 'stuck here' when discussing Inaba, indicating he doesn't really want to be there at first.)

I know subtle things aren't very popular on the interwebs, but I think he's one of the better written people in the anime, actually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    There's a couple 'oh my god' bosses in the game, but even they're largely based on luck, like if they never use Mabufula, you'll be fine.
    (Seriously, that spell is killer in SH. Freezes your entire team, and hurts like heck.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    He definitely opens up and gets more expressionate as the series goes on, like that status screen in the middle of each episode implies. I found him pretty likeable and well realised, given that he doesn't really have a set personality in the game and isn't voiced.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Also, how many cyberpunk JRPGs do you know of? That's a selling point right there.

Half the MegaTen games, Bumby Trot, technically Star Ocean, Phantasy Star is closeish, .hack. Maybe a few more.

• Options
    I didn't need to be reminded .Hack exists. Why would you do that :(

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I'd argue all three of those points.

Well, of course you would...
    The game is ugly, the music is more dissonant crap and the mechanics are easily abusable and not as deep as other Megaten games. It's a good my first Megaten game with the only standout being the slightly hard optional boss at the end of part 1.

I'll agree the mechanics aren't as deep as most of the Megaten games, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They're enjoyable and even "my first Megaten" is more complex than most RPGs.

While musical taste is subjective, I'm not sure what definition of "dissonant" you're using that could be applied to DDS.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    It just plain sounds janky. Not quite as bad as most of Strange Journey's soundtrack, but I remember reaching for the mute button pretty early in my DDS play through.

Mechanically it was designed as a bridge from all those FFX players looking for something else to play, and one could say it succeeded on that point.

• Options
    .hack//G.U. is still one of my favorite games ever. Why you gotta remind me of how nothing that good has come out in forever. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Is Strange Journey worth playing, or is it best left alone like Persona 1 PSP

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Worth playing. My favorite game in the series more or less. Better than any Persona game.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Is Strange Journey worth playing, or is it best left alone like Persona 1 PSP

I think it's probably the worst new SMT title in recent years...

...but worst SMT in recent years still equals a decent RPG. It's better than Persona 1 in any case.

• Options
    Depends, Corporate. Why did you not care for Persona 1 PSP?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Somebody bottom line it for me:

Is Soul Hackers anything I would enjoy, as someone who leans more Persona than SMT?

In terms of story, it's more Persona than SMT(a group of friends up against something way out of their league), so yes.

But in terms of story emphasis, it's very much old school SMT. A little bit of story followed by hours of dungeon crawling. Rinse & repeat. It's not like the later Persona games where you spend as much time or more on the story as you do in combat.

Soul Hackers is really good but if you're not a fan of old school Shin Megami Tensei, it's not for you.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Persona 1's combat system is why I hate it, even with the updates it's still a chore positioning and keeping your party fully equipped with melee weapons, guns/ammo, and armor.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Persona 1's combat system is why I hate it, even with the updates it's still a chore positioning and keeping your party fully equipped with melee weapons, guns/ammo, and armor.

Okay yeah if your objection is rooted in dated game mechanics you should be fine. Strange Journey has more modern design sensibilities, along with (as Rainbow Despair put it for Soul Hackers) shit loads of dungeon crawling.

As long as you're down with the dungeon crawl you should be fine.

• Options
    If it's like Etrian Odyssey dungeon crawling I've got no problems with that

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The secret to Persona 1 is that melee weapons are absolutely useless in even the best circumstance. Personas for the random trash mobs and guns for bosses, and you're set.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The secret to Persona 1 is that melee weapons are absolutely useless in even the best circumstance. Personas for the random trash mobs and guns for bosses, and you're set.

Yeah, you can get guns to be really good in Persona 1.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Swag memes aside, Yu is a zombie epitomizing everything wrong with "stoic" JRPG heroes.
    This is sad, because aside from being completely mute, P4MC had a few things that hinted at his personality and it was "actually kind of a huge dork."

Yu in the anime had a pretty decent personality. Just because someone isn't flagrant doesn't mean they don't. He expresses a lot of things (Like even using the term 'stuck here' when discussing Inaba, indicating he doesn't really want to be there at first.)

I know subtle things aren't very popular on the interwebs, but I think he's one of the better written people in the anime, actually.

Funny, my impression of the protagonist is that, yes, he's a dork. But he's an unusually unassuming badass alpha-male sort of dork. Ergo, why the girls keep hanging off of him and why all these adults choose to confide in him.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Funny, my impression of the protagonist is that, yes, he's a dork. But he's an unusually unassuming badass alpha-male sort of dork. Ergo, why the girls keep hanging off of him and why all these adults choose to confide in him.

I'm gonna play some of Arena's story mode tonight because I need a refresher. The difference between Arena Yu and Anime Yu seem like night and day to me. It says I'm at 99 percent anyway.

That amazing line about the nurse magazine? I dont think Anime Yu can form a sentence that big if his life depended on it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

I'm not sure this is a thing that exists.

• Options

I'm not sure this is a thing that exists.

He'd be like the president of the college anime club... except he's also a katana master and can cause things to explode with his mind.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'd argue all three of those points. The game is ugly, the music is more dissonant crap and the mechanics are easily abusable and not as deep as other Megaten games. It's a good my first Megaten game with the only standout being the slightly hard optional boss at the end of part 1.

Really?

I'd say that Digital Devil Saga is not only one of the best Megaten games but one of the top for RPGs ever made. I place it in the same small group as Planescape Torment.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The anime Yu actually says a lot of funny things. I've been rewatching it just because people mentioned he has no personality.

I think people are just terrible at reading people if they don't see how much of a dork/awkward he is for most of it.

Little things like how he smirks after the first persona fight while looking at Yosuke, the way he responds to the swim trunks, how he acts around Ai. Hell even just the way he acts downright afraid of Nanako for most of the anime.

(Or hell, the way he tries to ditch Yosuke when he's getting arrested.)

Anime Yu is a total doormat, an awkward dork who is really sarcastic most of the time. An excellent straightman in most of the jokes as well.

He also talks quite a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wish I liked first person dungeon crawlers. I'd have a bunch more games to enjoy.

But then I'd have a bunch more games in my backlog, so eh. Not so big of a loss.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Strange Journey was great. It's a Sci-Fi version of Etrian Odyssey. My main problems with it are that it begins to feel tedious after awhile. And the main NPCs espouse such extreme ideas, even by SMT standards (IMO).

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I'd like to try some of the other games in the series, but even Persona is super hard to find copies of here.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The anime Yu actually says a lot of funny things. I've been rewatching it just because people mentioned he has no personality.

I think people are just terrible at reading people if they don't see how much of a dork/awkward he is for most of it.

Little things like how he smirks after the first persona fight while looking at Yosuke, the way he responds to the swim trunks, how he acts around Ai. Hell even just the way he acts downright afraid of Nanako for most of the anime.

(Or hell, the way he tries to ditch Yosuke when he's getting arrested.)

Anime Yu is a total doormat, an awkward dork who is really sarcastic most of the time. An excellent straightman in most of the jokes as well.

He also talks quite a bit.

Yeah, some of his deadpan jokes are great. He's got a very clear sense of humor and personality, but just isn't very visually expressive -- which is extremely uncommon for anime.

• Options
    Oh god I just got back to the bath house part in the anime. The way Yu and Yosuke instantly summon their Persona as soon as the shadow starts talking is priceless. They look Super Serious Business.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Half the MegaTen games, Bumby Trot, technically Star Ocean, Phantasy Star is closeish, .hack. Maybe a few more.

Bumpy Trot is steampunk, and Star Ocean/Phantasy Star/.hack are all science fiction. Cyberpunk is futuristic technology mixed with urban decay, typically.

Shadowrun = cyberpunk.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Also, another throwback to old-school SMT: both humans in Soul Hackers use guns and swords in addition to magic(well, only Nemmy has magic). I love that system, but YMMV.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Traditionalist.

• Options
    I shiver to think of Star Ocean as cyberpunk.

On a lighter note!

From Atlus MB:
    Inzaghi wrote: »
    Are the voices going to be dubbed?

Yes. I'm not sure about the original OP, though.

:D

Place your bets on voice actor roles. (Laura Bailey as Hitomi?... too easy?)

wVEsyIc.png