As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Are there any bad Shin Megami Tensei games on the PS2?

Not that I can think of. Digital Devil Saga I & II are two of my favorite RPGs of all time. Nocturne III is great. Raidou of the Long Title I & II are pretty awesome. And then you have Persona 3: FES (which is on PSN in the US, if you have a PS3) and Persona 4, which are excellent games. Am I missing anything?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Well I'm planning on getting a replacement PS2 soon, and buying a few SMT games that I've never played. Didn't want to accidentally buy the only stinker.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Persona 4. :V Ho ho!

Honestly, I don't think so. But then again, I haven't played the first devil summoner, but I think that one's just got some clunky bits to it, and is otherwise really good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

I was never a fan of the PS2 Devil Summoners, though the second one improved on some of the problems I had with the first one, and was generally more interesting than the first one overall. I wouldn't say that either one is bad exactly, but I wouldn't recommend them over any of the other PS2 MegaTens.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Raidou 1 has a great story, Raidou 2 has great gameplay.

So in answer: nope.

Any good recommendations on how to get, oh, 12 more Homunculi with a quickness? I'm pretty sure I have her once I get those.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Turns out Imagine really does have an ending.

In Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRp00SHLDk

When'd that Innocent get so awesome looking?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Wait, they actually ended Imagine in Japan?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'd say the main reason to not recommend Raidou 1/2 on the same level as the rest of the PS2 megaten games is because they don't seem to currently be in print, and thus expensive. If you buy all the others, you've got about 600 hours of gameplay on your hand before needing to worry about picking them up.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    Wait, they actually ended Imagine in Japan?

Yep. I don't think Aeria localized even half of it. Did Atlus ever do more?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Raidou 2 still has pretty good story. Admittedly not as good as 1, but still really solid.

The mechanics of 2 are just so heads and shoulders above 1 though that its hard to go back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    So, I have a question thread. I usually play games without a guide. However. I am willing to break that rule for Nocturne, which has been sitting on my shelf unloved for to long now. My question is: Does the game really need a guide? Because this game scares me.

Basically, I want yall to help me not feel bad about using a guide for Noc.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    So, I have a question thread. I usually play games without a guide. However. I am willing to break that rule for Nocturne, which has been sitting on my shelf unloved for to long now. My question is: Does the game really need a guide? Because this game scares me.

If you want to use a guide, use a guide. You don't need one, but there's a lot of things that end up being trial-and-error if you're going through blind.

• Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    I finished Nocturne as my first SMT game without a guide and didn't think it was too difficult myself.

But Dehumanized is right. It's your time and it's your enjoyment, make the most of it.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    Nocturne doesn't need a strategy guide, no. A reference guide for fusion and stuff is great, though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, question about February in Golden.
    Do your teammates and Naoki still want to hang out the week before the test to rank up, or do they not want to do anything? I don't want to play up until then and then restart the month because I didn't know that I should've focused on one or the other before that week, and this is the last month so everything is important.

Use a guide for Puzzle Boy. Fuck him. He is a horrible kid and also you can't use the official guide for it because I think the directions are wrong. It took me 2 hours to do it legit though. Do not bother. Also you'll need one for like two fusions, because they have some item requirement and you'll never figure out how to get the item on your own.

• Options
    Speaking of using a guide, I actually managed to max out my social links (minus one rank which is auto and I am guaranteed) on my first playthrough! I'm currently grinding before heading to the new, optional dungeon but I was surprised. They really give you a lot of time in January/February for social links. Not only did I manage to max everyone (I think I was 16 ranks away from max, minus auto ranks) on January 2nd, but I also managed to...

(big spoilers)
    Do the "rank 11" event with every person on my team, to get their third tier persona.

Chie's and Naoto's third tier skills are pretty great, but holy shit Kanji's is amazing especially with Dizzy Boost. I routinely flatten gold hands.

Anyway, I DID peruse a guide in the first few months, but I deviated wildly from it and I thought I was fucked near the end. I'm rather happy that I'm not.

I think I still need NG+ to 100% my persona collection, right?

• Options
    Gilder wrote: »
    Do your teammates and Naoki still want to hang out the week before the test to rank up, or do they not want to do anything? I don't want to play up until then and then restart the month because I didn't know that I should've focused on one or the other before that week, and this is the last month so everything is important.
    Well, Naoki was one of my last to max, but I finished him at the end of Jan and then did all the final "dates" in that last week. Not everyone is available every day, but I did manage to "date" everyone once by hunting around school/town.

What dates are you referring to, exactly? I remember saving at 1/10 and finishing my S.Links around 1/28 or something. I can check tomorrow.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Speaking of using a guide, I actually managed to max out my social links (minus one rank which is auto and I am guaranteed) on my first playthrough! I'm currently grinding before heading to the new, optional dungeon but I was surprised. They really give you a lot of time in January/February for social links. Not only did I manage to max everyone (I think I was 16 ranks away from max, minus auto ranks) on January 2nd, but I also managed to...

(big spoilers)
    Do the "rank 11" event with every person on my team, to get their third tier persona.

Chie's and Naoto's third tier skills are pretty great, but holy shit Kanji's is amazing especially with Dizzy Boost. I routinely flatten gold hands.

Anyway, I DID peruse a guide in the first few months, but I deviated wildly from it and I thought I was fucked near the end. I'm rather happy that I'm not.

You shouldn't need NG+ for 100% compendium as InO can't be registered. You might be missing a few special fusions, like Ardha, Alice and Shiva.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Shen wrote: »

(big spoilers)

You shouldn't need NG+ for 100% compendium as InO can't be registered. You might be missing a few special fusions, like Ardha, Alice and Shiva.

Oh I'm at 83 or 84% right now, but my understanding was that you had to wait for NG+ for 100%, even disregarding that persona you mentioned.

That didn't make sense to me though so you're probably right.

Grinding yen is annoying though.

edit: I have Alice btw. She is awesome. Her unique skill is amaaaaazing. I never used her in previous games.

Drez on
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Nocturne was my first SMT game proper. I mostly used the guide for some navigation and the fusion information. I will say that being able to read ahead and build a party that doesn't readily have weaknesses could save you some frustrating trial and error on boss fights. This didn't really help me at the end of the game as the "true" final boss still rammed everything right up my ass.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Gilder wrote: »
    Well, Naoki was one of my last to max, but I finished him at the end of Jan and then did all the final "dates" in that last week. Not everyone is available every day, but I did manage to "date" everyone once by hunting around school/town.

What dates are you referring to, exactly? I remember saving at 1/10 and finishing my S.Links around 1/28 or something. I can check tomorrow.

Doesn't matter now, I'm good. I overestimated how many days I would need for hanged. I'll keep an eye out though for my own future reference and see who's available in that week I was curious about.

Gilder on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Raidou 2 is skippable, if you're still wondering, @Rizzi. It's a pretty clunky game, with a decent setting, decent characters, decent story. It's not really a bad game, but it's also not particularly notable. P3, P4, and Nocturne, however, are some of the best RPGs around. (I haven't played any of the DDS games, so can't comment on that.)

Oh, and one of the main characters is an insufferable dick.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

The Devil Summoner games are a lot weaker than everything else Shin Megami Tensei-related on the PS2. They're not outright bad but they're easily skippable.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I don't think I can even find the Devil Summoner games anywhere.
    How are the Digital Devil Saga games?

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The Digital Devil Saga games are great. You should get them.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DDS vol. 1 and 2 are great, and more approachable than Nocturne while still being difficult. You retain all the skills you learn over the course of the game and can swap your eight active skills in and out pretty frequently. In Nocturne, you overwrite skills you have as you learn new skills. It's a bit more stressful, I guess you could say? I dunno. Nocturne is great, but I think Digital Devil Saga is an excellent Shin Megami Tensei starting point, especially out of the PS2 games.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DDS is like a hybrid of Nocturne unforgivability with Final Fantasy-ish storytelling, only with a SMT feel.

Nocture is a straight atmospheric dungeon crawler that hates you so much that you'll hate it back by breaking the crap out of it's battle system and laughing like an evil maniac as demons fall to your might. The real Hard Mode starts here. It'll make you better at every single other RPG battle system if you crack it.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Anyone who says devil summoner isn't a great game is probably just bad at action games and doesn't like film noir, because it's pretty fantastic.

They both easily have a better story then dds1, which is pretty terrible and is only slightly improved retroactively by playing dds2.

On the other hand, you aren't an awesome detective.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The only good SMT games on PS2 are SMT III and Raidou 2. Atlus made some ok demon themed FFX and Harvest Moon clones though.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Anyone who says devil summoner isn't a great game is probably just bad at action games and doesn't like film noir, because it's pretty fantastic.

They both easily have a better story then dds1, which is pretty terrible and is only slightly improved retroactively by playing dds2.

On the other hand, you aren't an awesome detective.

I liked the PS2 Devil Summoner games in theory but in actual practice, I found them to be tedious. Needing to have specific demon types to progress was a pain.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Hated Nocturne, vastly preferred Devil Summoner.

I mean -haaaaaate-.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Considering FFX is the best FF, it wasn't a bad template for "cloning" which is an extreme exaggeration. Also, anyone who doesn't like Digital Devil Saga is a [this space intentionally left blank].

And I agree that Devil Summoner felt tedious. It was still enjoyable though. I'm not bad at action RPGs, but the mechanics of DevSum felt a bit cheesy, like a Persona-fied Parasite Eve. Which sounds fun in theory but does get a bit annoying.

But fuck it, it's a great game.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    DS:O is kicking my ass. I cant beat the first boss no matter how much Agi I unload into him. I'm gonna have to grind.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    DDS in a nutshell: fun gameplay, good presentation, bad storyline.

• Options
    Don't agree. I like the story a great deal.

• Options
    Bad at action games? Raidou 2 was piss-easy, except for the Fiends, which were merely tedious.

Don't like film noir? The game creates an awesome setting then spends like 80% of the game in feudal Japan.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jurg wrote: »
    Bad at action games? Raidou 2 was piss-easy, except for the Fiends, which were merely tedious.

Don't like film noir? The game creates an awesome setting then spends like 80% of the game in feudal Japan.

And to me Bayonetta was easy. Everyone has their limits, and a lot of people are terrible at the game and get murdered non-stop. When it came out it was nothing but a wailing of incompetents on most forums of people who couldn't handle the game.

I mean /every SMT game is piss easy/. Sorry, that's just a sad fact. The only challenge to them is A) Will I get hit with hama/mudo before I have an immunity and B) Will they force me into a long stint with no worthwhile demons to counter what they throw at me. The rest is simply tedium. Yet a lot of people consider them challenging. Why is that? Who knows.

...Also, wut, feudal japan? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. But sure, why not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The town where most of Raidou 2 takes place is old-school Japan, with forests and ninjas and shit. It's an incredibly common setting in anime, and so it sucks that that's where most of the game takes place when a much cooler setting is already there. It may be a low-tech enclave, but it's still based on feudal Japan. My terminology may be wrong, but the point remains.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Guys I personally had no trouble with this game therefore it is objectively easy and anyone who has difficulty with it is bad at videogames.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jurg wrote: »
    The town where most of Raidou 2 takes place is old-school Japan, with forests and ninjas and shit. It's an incredibly common setting in anime, and so it sucks that that's where most of the game takes place when a much cooler setting is already there. It may be a low-tech enclave, but it's still based on feudal Japan. My terminology may be wrong, but the point remains.
    It's...like the 1930's. I wouldn't REALLY call that feudal.

M A G I K A Z A M