As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Catholic Cover-Up] A Cardinal, a Monseigneur, and 500 children walk into a bar

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    That article doesn't get into it, but the reporting in the UK press has suggested that these were abusive, and possibly violent relationships where O'Brien used his position to exert pressure on younger and lower-ranking priests. It's not simply a matter of him being "a gay priest".

Called it.

I just still can't tell if Ratzinger has become ill and thus resigned his post (the official line is such bullshit. Apparently he justed wanted to avoid the big Easter rush! everyone knows how crazy Vatican city gets around Easter!), or if someone was threatening to go to the press with evidence of his own sexual assaults.

Maybe he raped someone and got HIV? Nah, the world wouldn't allow for that sort of irony.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    If there is a scandal that deals specifically with Ratzinger, it is probably related to the investigation being done into abuse in Germany, as the investigation covered the period when Ratzinger was Archbishop of Munich.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's the same story discussed in the last couple of pages: Keith O'Brien, most senior Cardinal in the UK and notable anti-gay bigot, has been compelled to quit over the revelation of his predatory sexual advances made against other priests lower in the church hierarchy.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    It's the same story discussed in the last couple of pages: Keith O'Brien, most senior Cardinal in the UK and notable anti-gay bigot, has been compelled to quit over the revelation of his predatory sexual advances made against other priests lower in the church hierarchy.
    In other words, just another day in the catholic faith.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

It is kinda sad you can apparently get kicked out for abusing other priests but abuse helpless kids for decades? You get a glorified vacation.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It'll be interesting to follow O'Brien now that he's left the clergy.

I'm guessing he'll get a cushy board position on some hate group masquerading as a Christian charity once the newspapers lose interest.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    In other words, just another day in the catholic faith.

And of course it's like the 800 millionth retelling of the heartwarming "Raging anti-gay bigot turns out to be a rampant homosexual" surprise twist ending story.

At this stage, whenever I hear someone spouting a stream of anti-gay rhetoric, I now take it as read that they themselves are gay or at least bisexual and can't come to terms with it.

Basically I try and leverage my contempt into pity.

Looking at you, Phelps...

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    One interesting aspect of the O'Brien thing is that he was one of the Cardinals pushing for the Catholic Church to abandon the requirement for a vow of celibacy as a precondition for entering the priesthood.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    One interesting aspect of the O'Brien thing is that he was one of the Cardinals pushing for the Catholic Church to abandon the requirement for a vow of celibacy as a precondition for entering the priesthood.

Probably the real reason the Vatican pressured him.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Daily Telegraph:

Mother Theresa - Probably a lying bitch who took millions of dollars from brutal dictators, gave little to charity, treated suffering people like shit, and kept all that loot for herself. Also, her fame was launched by a dishonest BBC journalist who was later found to be a fundamentalist pro-life activist.

It's really just raining shit on Catholicism these days.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also her "miracle" was demonstrably bullshit, not just probably bullshit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm no Theresa-fan. But there's no indication that she's a sexual predator, and that's unfortunately something to commend.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I'm no Theresa-fan. But there's no indication that she's a sexual predator, and that's unfortunately something to commend.

I don't think stealing charity money and leaving sick people to die in hovels with a minimum of medical care is really much better

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Uh, well, there's that.

• Options
    Catholic Sophie's Choice

Would you like to put your child in this Catholic leader's care, where he/she might be repeatedly raped and abused, or this Catholic leader's care, where he/she will be denied pain-relieving medication and left to die in a gutter?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Catholic Sophie's Choice

Would you like to put your child in this Catholic leader's care, where he/she might be repeatedly raped and abused, or this Catholic leader's care, where he/she will be denied pain-relieving medication and left to die in a gutter?

Rarely do you only get one and not the other.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So there is a new pope. Pope Francis I - Jorge_Bergoglio of Argentina.

A bit of a surprise they went Latin America, but seems to be the standard conservative model so not expecting too many changes.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    He might as well be European lite, by the look of it. A compromise.

I like that he picked Francis though.

488W936.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Isn't the Hispanic demographic the fastest growing Catholic demographic?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Oh boy an old straight shooting heavily conservative leaning Pope I am shocked please someone let me lean on you I think I might faint

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    He might as well be European lite, by the look of it. A compromise.

I like that he picked Francis though.

According to Wikipedia, his parents were Italian.

A shame, I was really hoping for a non-white pope, it would have been interesting.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Abortion and euthanasia

Cardinal Bergoglio has invited his clergy and laity to oppose both abortion and euthanasia.[7]

Homosexuality

He has affirmed church teaching on homosexuality, though he teaches the importance of respecting individuals who are homosexual. He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback". In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God." He has also insisted that adoption by homosexuals is a form of discrimination against children. This position received a rebuke from Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who said the church's tone was reminiscent of "medieval times and the Inquisition".

Blahblahblah business as usual. There are more surprises in a Doctor Who regeneration scene.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    Abortion and euthanasia

Cardinal Bergoglio has invited his clergy and laity to oppose both abortion and euthanasia.[7]

Homosexuality

He has affirmed church teaching on homosexuality, though he teaches the importance of respecting individuals who are homosexual. He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback". In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God." He has also insisted that adoption by homosexuals is a form of discrimination against children. This position received a rebuke from Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who said the church's tone was reminiscent of "medieval times and the Inquisition".

Blahblahblah business as usual. There are more surprises in a Doctor Who regeneration scene.
    On the bright side, he hasn't been directly implicated in any child rape scandals, yet.

"Yet" being the operative word.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Abortion and euthanasia

Homosexuality

On the bright side, he hasn't been directly implicated in any child rape scandals, yet.

Give it a day.

Its funny they were watching this on Fox News in the front office and I just heard him billed as a 'progressive man of the people'

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    We got the first Jesuit Pope, the first Pope from the New World and the first Pope Francis.

In related news, Paul Ryan is making a statement soon. :lol:

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yay a new ultra conservative pope for the majority of catholics in america to say they don't actually follow.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    He's probably named after the Jesuit Francis rather than the other one.

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that all I can picture is Francis from the wow videos in a pope hat raging about policies against gays, and accusations of child molestation?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It's nice that they manged to find an Italian dude to elect from South America. I betcha he also speaks fluent Italian.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Well at least we can look forward to seeing the photoshop of the dude from Stripes anytime this Pope speaks. "Lighten Up Francis."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The entire brazilian population is flipping its shit. It's so funny. I can't stop laughing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    However disappointing the new pope is, it's still gonna be nice to see Paul attack a liberal antichrist that only exists in his head.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Abortion and euthanasia

Homosexuality

He HAS, however, been implicated in kidnapping
    A human rights lawyer has filed a criminal complaint against an Argentine cardinal mentioned as a possible contender to become pope, accusing him of involvement in the 1976 kidnappings of two priests.

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio’s spokesman Saturday called the allegation “old slander.”
    http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/17/world/fg-cardinal17

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    It's nice that they manged to find an Italian dude to elect from South America. I betcha he also speaks fluent Italian.

picardfacepalmn.jpg

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    How do you pick an Argentinian to lead your religion and not pick Lionel Messi? Infallible in the Word, untouchable in the box!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    He also looks really old, is there some kind age requirment for talking to god now? You have to be about to see him yourself?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh god no I forgot that the Benedict Regime backed Ryan in the Primaries and Romney in the general election.

He's going to be sucking up and telling him to crack down on the real Jesuits.

Also, apparently he allowed Argentina's dictatorship to hold it's political prisoners at gunpoint in his holiday home so they wouldn't be seen by human rights agencies.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Didn't this guy step down from being Archbishop of Buenos Aires because of age? And now he's the freaking Pope?

steam_sig.png