As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

• Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    My previous job was working at several different GameCrazy stores. I now work for the company that manufactures the NAND that stores the 360's Dashboard.

So, I guess I'm in the industry too.

Einhander on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    El Viento wrote: »
    All the 360 peripherals have DRM chips in them, and I believe the HD uses a nonstandard format too; It's one of the reasons the X360 Guitar Hero controller is wired. Microsoft won't let anyone make a wireless peripheral yet as they make too much money on the markup of their own wireless controller.

That's not entirely true. Microsoft does, indeed, prohibit anybody from using their proprietary wireless, but there was absolutely nothing stopping Red Octane from creating a wireless controller with a receiver that plugs into the 360.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    All the 360 peripherals have DRM chips in them, and I believe the HD uses a nonstandard format too; It's one of the reasons the X360 Guitar Hero controller is wired. Microsoft won't let anyone make a wireless peripheral yet as they make too much money on the markup of their own wireless controller.

That's not entirely true. Microsoft does, indeed, prohibit anybody from using their proprietary wireless, but there was absolutely nothing stopping Red Octane from creating a wireless controller with a receiver that plugs into the 360.
    In response to the confirmation that Guitar Hero II guitar controller for the Xbox 360 will be wired…

Darwin is rolling in his grave, rocking out to GH2 on PS2 instead of 360.

Is it just me or does Microsoft devolve every time it gains market share?

I mean seriously, why keep going at a great pace with the best console on the market and making all the right decisions software and hardware-wise when you can defy common sense and force a popular series (that has avoided your system until now) to use a wired guitar?

Whoever influenced this decision at Microsoft should be fired. Upon.

Even if I didn't like the GH series I'd be angry.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I agree, it is highly disappointing that a new console with built in wireless capabilities forces all third party manufacturers to make wired controllers. In no case is this issue more abhorrent than Guitar Hero, a game that is entirely based upon allowing players to live the dream of rocking, which includes jumping around. Upon hearing the news there were many in the IGN offices who announced they will not buy the 360 version of the game in protest, or simply because they can't imagine going back to playing with a wired controller.

Microsoft is being highly protective of both the image and income potential of the Xbox 360 platform. No third party peripheral manufacturers have been granted licenses for wireless peripherals thus far. The industry word is that Microsoft intends to make licensees earn the ability to eventually offer wireless controllers by requiring them to release wired products for the first three years of the 360's life.

In various ways this is a smart move for Mr. Softy. Microsoft doesn't want to dilute the image of the Xbox 360 by allowing a flood of peripheral products to hit the market early in the console's life. It also wants to protect some rather sizable profit margins on premium accessories that it sells itself. It's known that a Wireless 360 Controller costs MS between $8 and $12 to manufacture. At retail the controllers sell for $50 to $60. That certainly helps offset losses sustained on the actual 360 hardware. Were other manufacturers able to make wireless peripherals the official controller would certainly be undercut in price, and MS doesn't want that.

Regardless of such concerns, it is indeed a true shame that a small exception was not made for Red Octane's guitar controller. Seriously MS, it's not like you can play any other game on the market with fret keys and a strummer, right?

-Gerry

from

http://uk.gear.ign.com/mail/2007-03-27.html

Edit: Duh me; reading comprehension FTW. Yeah I see what you're saying, but If Microsoft are being this anal about it, I'm sure they'd have something to say about that circumvention.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001670.html

Please read, anyone that uses the word 'sku'.
    That blog gives no reason why we shouldn't use that term. In fact, the definition he gives fits the usage of this thread. So, we're using a real acronymn in the correct way. His given reason why we shouldn't appears to be that it's a technical term used in stockrooms. Yeah, that's a great reason.

It is a # that is different at every store, therefore not a good use of the wrod. Use 'model' instead. Easier, doesn't make you sound like an intertard who wants to seem like they're in TEH INDUSTRY.

But... I AM in the industry. Can I use the "wrod" sku instead of the "wrod" model? Can I still be an intertard (is that the leveled up form of an r-tard?)

Please?

Edit: Oooooh, top of the page. Snap!

What do you do again? I thought you worked at Best Buy.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

In response to the confirmation that Guitar Hero II guitar controller for the Xbox 360 will be wired…

Darwin is rolling in his grave, rocking out to GH2 on PS2 instead of 360.

Is it just me or does Microsoft devolve every time it gains market share?

I mean seriously, why keep going at a great pace with the best console on the market and making all the right decisions software and hardware-wise when you can defy common sense and force a popular series (that has avoided your system until now) to use a wired guitar?

Whoever influenced this decision at Microsoft should be fired. Upon.

Even if I didn't like the GH series I'd be angry.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I agree, it is highly disappointing that a new console with built in wireless capabilities forces all third party manufacturers to make wired controllers. In no case is this issue more abhorrent than Guitar Hero, a game that is entirely based upon allowing players to live the dream of rocking, which includes jumping around. Upon hearing the news there were many in the IGN offices who announced they will not buy the 360 version of the game in protest, or simply because they can't imagine going back to playing with a wired controller.

Microsoft is being highly protective of both the image and income potential of the Xbox 360 platform. No third party peripheral manufacturers have been granted licenses for wireless peripherals thus far. The industry word is that Microsoft intends to make licensees earn the ability to eventually offer wireless controllers by requiring them to release wired products for the first three years of the 360's life.

In various ways this is a smart move for Mr. Softy. Microsoft doesn't want to dilute the image of the Xbox 360 by allowing a flood of peripheral products to hit the market early in the console's life. It also wants to protect some rather sizable profit margins on premium accessories that it sells itself. It's known that a Wireless 360 Controller costs MS between $8 and $12 to manufacture. At retail the controllers sell for $50 to $60. That certainly helps offset losses sustained on the actual 360 hardware. Were other manufacturers able to make wireless peripherals the official controller would certainly be undercut in price, and MS doesn't want that.

Regardless of such concerns, it is indeed a true shame that a small exception was not made for Red Octane's guitar controller. Seriously MS, it's not like you can play any other game on the market with fret keys and a strummer, right?

-Gerry

from

http://uk.gear.ign.com/mail/2007-03-27.html

Edit: Duh me; reading comprehension FTW. Yeah I see what you're saying, but If Microsoft are being this anal about it, I'm sure they'd have something to say about that circumvention.

That sounds to me like MS is saying "No, you can't use our wireless protocols."
    Does everybody else read that as MS also saying "And you can't make your own receiver that plugs into the 360 controller port either."?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That blog gives no reason why we shouldn't use that term. In fact, the definition he gives fits the usage of this thread. So, we're using a real acronymn in the correct way. His given reason why we shouldn't appears to be that it's a technical term used in stockrooms. Yeah, that's a great reason.

It is a # that is different at every store, therefore not a good use of the wrod. Use 'model' instead. Easier, doesn't make you sound like an intertard who wants to seem like they're in TEH INDUSTRY.

But... I AM in the industry. Can I use the "wrod" sku instead of the "wrod" model? Can I still be an intertard (is that the leveled up form of an r-tard?)

Please?

That alone makes him uniquely qualified to use the term SKU.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Threepio is an Splinter Agent of the government's secret 3rd Echelon unit, operating under a black budget. He goes around in the night breaking people's necks for a living.

I heard a dirty rumor that he works higher up for his company, and that he's not just a register biscuit.

Einhander on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That sounds to me like MS is saying "No, you can't use our wireless protocols."
    Does everybody else read that as MS also saying "And you can't make your own receiver that plugs into the 360 controller port either."?

It's odd because, you should be right. I can't find a wireless controller for the 360 other than Microsoft's though. I'd have thought Logitech would have one out by now, as their wireless controllers for the Xbox and PS2 work exactly how you describe.

Maybe latency or lag is an issue for Guitar Hero?

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Please?

That alone makes him uniquely qualified to use the term SKU.

I really hope the new UPC of Guitar Hero 2 shows up at my door by Monday. That new UPC looks great.

Can I be in the industry now?

p.s. Yeah, I misspelled word. OMGS.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    Threepio is an Splinter Agent of the government's secret 3rd Echelon unit, operating under a black budget. He goes around in the night breaking people's necks for a living.

I heard a dirty rumor that he works higher up for his company, and that he's not just a register biscuit.

I started off as a register biscuit (well, commissioned shark) years ago. Like, nine. It paid my way through university. When I graduated, I applied for and got a job at the head office.

I'm the only one that does what I do here, which is product research, analysis and market impact. It's a fun job. When I said "the industry" I was implying "retail", as that's what we're discussing. My position puts me in a great place to talk to people in various CE veins - from gaming to HD video to appliances (I'm chillin in Toronto next week, catching up on the latest energy star refrigerators. Hardcore.) The first time I got a casual email from Feargus Urquhart I did a double take like you would not believe.

As for the neck snapping, it's more of a hobby :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I really hope the new UPC of Guitar Hero 2 shows up at my door by Monday. That new UPC looks great.

Now you're just being obtuse.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

shawshank.JPG

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    the best movie

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You see the point then.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You see the point then.

That you're Tim Robbins? Sweet! :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You see the point then.

is Tim Robbins in the industry? If so, sure!!

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You see the point then.

is Tim Robbins in the industry? If so, sure!!

I hear he made John Romero his bitch.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seconded.

And this is non-shiny black right? I suppose that's a good thing, as some of those faceplates look pretty damn nice. That's one thing the PS3 needs to duplicate--the case screams for high-res art/designs.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You see the point then.

I wish I had that .gif of the guy who is typing on the keyboard, and then he starts shashing his hands onto the keyboard with such fury that they start to disintegrate, and then his arms, and then he starts smashing his face into the keyboard, and his eyes fall out and he is eventually left a giant bloody stump.

Listen, I knwo it's a pet peeve for you, but you gotta deal with it. There is a thread right now in SE++ that you can go vent in.

And it's not an improper use of the word, especially when some of us are "in the industry". It's merely a way of distinguishing the difference between different models of the same product. It's three separate models, with three separate SKUs.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's three separate models

But yeah, I try to stay out of SE++, it scares me.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So wait, a seperate model cannot be a SKU? What?

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Seconded.

And this is non-shiny black right? I suppose that's a good thing, as some of those faceplates look pretty damn nice. That's one thing the PS3 needs to duplicate--the case screams for high-res art/designs.

There is a clear plastic 360 faceplate kit you can pick up that has the right paper inside so you can print out your own faceplate designs. I don't know how good they look, but it's a pretty awesome idea.

$20 for a faceplate is kind of lame, but some of them do look pretty cool, and it's awesome that they designed the 360 with interchangable faceplates in mind.

The PS3 could benefit from something similar, but I think Sony is trying to go for a specific image.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Seconded.

There is a clear plastic 360 faceplate kit you can pick up that has the right paper inside so you can print out your own faceplate designs. I don't know how good they look, but it's a pretty awesome idea.

$20 for a faceplate is kind of lame, but some of them do look pretty cool, and it's awesome that they designed the 360 with interchangable faceplates in mind.

The PS3 could benefit from something similar, but I think Sony is trying to go for a specific image.

The cover pops off, so I think they're just waiting.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

No, a SKU isn't a thing, its a number, an identifier, a unit.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Seconded.

The cover pops off, so I think they're just waiting.

Seriously? Must be rad. Hopefully this will eventually lead to the option of having different colors, unlike the PS2, where you just had to rebuy the entire system, and the US never got them anyway (not counting the recent silver PS2).

That's something Nintendo seems to do a decent job of, offering a lot of different colors for their hardware. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not some Ikea freak who has to have matching decor or anything, but I just think that some of the PS2s released overseas looked a lot cooler than standard black.

PS3 glossy black is pretty sexy, though.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I would punch a baby for a PS3 cover that repelled dust.

Aw, hell, I'd punch a baby anyway. They're usually complete dicks.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If they ever release that metallic piss colored Wii I'll probably not be able to resist buying one.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited March 2007

So you're making a Pledge?

Einhander on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

like... The Prisoner?

he was a SKU?

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited March 2007

like... The Prisoner?

he was a SKU?

I'm not an [SKU], I am a free man!

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I thought it was a better option than eating my own cock.

Bring on the baby. :D

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

like... The Prisoner?

he was a SKU?

You... are SKU six!

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited March 2007

like... The Prisoner?

he was a SKU?

You... are SKU six!

Who is [SKU] One??

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

like... The Prisoner?

he was a SKU?

You... are number six!

Who is number one?

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I made a dust joke.

279sf0.jpg

I wait and wait for an opening for that joke, and it rarely ever comes, and it's never a hit.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Beat'd firmly and with conviction.

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I made a dust joke.

279sf0.jpg

I wait and wait for an opening for that joke, and it rarely ever comes, and it's never a hit.

I can't believe I missed that. I blame it on my switch from Pledge to Endust. I shall now wallow in shame.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I made a dust joke.

279sf0.jpg

I can't believe I missed that. I blame it on my switch from Pledge to Endust. I shall now wallow in shame.

I switched from Pledge to Roomate'sShirt, personally.

Much cheaper.

On a side note, do you guys think that the matte black on the Elite will be more or less dust-attractive?

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'd guess less. The problem with the matte black is that it tends to just look old after a while. My oxbox looks awful, for instance. I prefer the shiny, myself, even if it does get dusty.

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'd guess less. The problem with the matte black is that it tends to just look old after a while. My oxbox looks awful, for instance. I prefer the shiny, myself, even if it does get dusty.

The oxbox is actually a really, really dark green (you can tell if you hold it up to sunlight), but both it and all of the other matte black consoles I have lose their "new" look really quickly.

Einhander on