Options

Hedwig and the Angry [chat]

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Fuck it, code is better than bold. Deal with it!

?

488W936.png
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    3 weeks out and we still can't settle on a middle name for minishark #2

first name will be carter

i really want to go with carter obama landshark just to really piss off my super-conservative FIL

but wife says no

wives ruin everything

Just pick another democratic president for his middle name. Carter Clinton Landshark. Carter Kennedy Landshark. You're gonna want the alliteration.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral "TL DR"

I consider you two to be some of the smarter and more compassionate contributors in this community, so please tell me what you think the exemplary components of OWS are.

Pretty much the majority of social problems in the US can be traced back to poverty and to distortion of the political process by moneyed interests; both of these are functions of economic inequality, which was Occupy's primary grievance.

The dominant American mythos is that your financial status is governed by your life choices, but the evidence is that this is in fact not at all true; the US has relatively low social mobility compared to other first world countries and dynasties of financially elite families. Everybody in the 99.9% is supposed to believe that our political and economic stagnation is due to our own lack of discipline rather than a predictable social effect of creeping disempowerment.

It is not a coincidence that this made for an easy deflection from OWS - any problems OWS had communicating their goals to the population were spun by media and politicians as poor strategic choices by OWS protesters themselves; not due to the influence of a moneyed elite actively trying to undermine them.

Stare at those dirty hippies. Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain.

I suspect you know my politics well enough to know that I agree with your summary concerning poverty issues etc. etc., so I'll skip that.

Am I to understand that if I had actually been on site during OWS, I would have seen something different? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just the message your giving me is not the one I was privvy to. All I got to see was Guy Fawkes masks and stoners praising bitcoins. It looked like an amalgamation of various forms of social discontent, and not all of them very reasonable.

I don't know how anyone is supposed to draw a reasonable conclusion about anything these days. It's not like I can drop my shit and fly to New York or Egypt every time something important happens. So instead I get to read forum posts and blogs and try to decide who isn't a liar or an idiot.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I never said it was a good story.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    What is a fun local co-op game on the sex box?

the BUY A PC game

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA I SURE SHOWED YOU

uhhh

mebbe broderlands2?
    I have a PC. There are no local PC games any more.

I don't really think an FPS is what I'm after. I'm not sure what I'm after.

Many (if not all) of the LEGO games are local co-op.

There are a handful of hotseat strategy games for the PC, but not many.

Settlers of Catan is on the XBox Live Thing and should be local co-op, though I don't know that it is.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Fuck it, code is better than bold. Deal with it!

?

When composing that post, I meant to hit ctrl-I but hit O instead, and posted without realizing I had the wrong tags.

Rather than fixing it I decided it was good enough. It actually still reads all right, so yeah.

Mostly I was doubling down on using the wrong tags.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    TGEM, I liked this one a lot: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8480214/979-ben-johnson-carl-lewis-seoul-olympics

This one is fairly boiler plate, echoing the then-popular audience-complicity-in-sports-violence examination, but it's a quick read http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7871507/metta-world-peace-ray-easterling-our-appetite-sanctioned-violence

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Fun local coop game on the Xbox?

Terraria!

You know, in like a month.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

the BUY A PC game

uhhh

mebbe broderlands2?

no but i showed you

i sure showed u

theres nowhere u can go from here!!!!!!!!!!

@ronya how was illness lecture

still in it

popped online to google for weibull distributions

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    ows lol

I'm gonna beat some drums at you.

keeeeekekekekekekek

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Holy fuck

they discovered hemingway's first draft of his nobel acceptance speech scrawled in the back of a book at the NYPL

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    ows lol

whatever suit

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Solid suggestions.

Fine work team.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Settlers is, apparently, not local on the xbox. Missed opportunity!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    N+ is also really fun co-op

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    As an example: Occupy Oakland's biggest problem is that the encampments became welcoming havens for homeless, including the mentally ill.

One possible way to spin this is that OO was mostly bums and crazies drowning out the political message.

That's not the way I see it. The first question is why are there so many bums and crazies on the streets in Oakland with nowhere to go in the first place?

Oh right, because we have an upper class that refuses to accept slightly higher taxes to pay for social welfare programs.

So when Oakland Mayor Jean Quan announced that she was breaking up the OO camp at Frank Ogawa plaza because of pests and homeless people defecating on the grass, she never explained where she wanted those homeless people to go. So they just ended up roaming back into west oakland and berkeley where they defecate on the sidewalks. But at least those are sidewalks in poor neighborhoods, not downtown Oakland, so rich people don't have to look at them.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Tamin wrote: »

the BUY A PC game

uhhh

mebbe broderlands2?

Settlers of Catan is on the XBox Live Thing and should be local co-op, though I don't know that it is.

Settlers has no local multi because it has hidden information. Same with Ticket to Ride.

Carcasonne does though.

edit: and of course most of the dynasty warriors games have excellent split screen co-op.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

i really want to go with carter obama landshark just to really piss off my super-conservative FIL

but wife says no

wives ruin everything

carter?

make his middle name FARTER so it rhymes

you betray your noble upbringing with such filth

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

but wife says no

wives ruin everything

You should go with some super cool name like Flash, Rock, or Blaze. That way if he gets cool enough he can switch to cool guy name.

i tried for tank, but that got shot down as well

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Tav wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    is it bad that I want to punch him until my fists bleed?

Oh so you root for one of the teams he's scored against?
    I don't even know who he is, he just looks like a tremendous douche

What if I told you about the time
    wiki wrote:
    Within days of joining Manchester City, Balotelli was involved in a car crash. It was reported that Balotelli was carrying £5000 cash at the time – and that when a police officer asked why he had such a large sum of cash Balotelli replied: "Because I am rich"

Still wanna punch a man that brilliant?

Very much, yes.

What if I told you about the time he threw darts at the youth team as a "prank"?

Still?

This man sounds fantastic.

He is fantastic!

(and I haven't even gotten to the part where he lit his own apartment on fire at 4 in the morning after he set fireworks off in his own bathroom!)

I'm not being sarcastic.

This sounds like an utterly magnificent asshole.

Me neither, I'm deeply fascinated with him.

He's the son of an illegal Ghanaian immigrant in Italy who was taken as a ward of the state in like some kind of old-style "civilizing the Injuns" type program that apparently is still happening in present day Italy, so from the age of like 3 or 4 he was raised as culturally Italian. Fast forward to his teenage years and he's a physically breathtaking athlete that is starting to move up in the soccer world, only he's extremely controversial and frequently labeled "uncoachable" (imagine that! a kid taken from his mother by the state and raised in a foreign culture might have some odd behavioral quirks, a wholly unpredictable result of such an otherwise perfect cultural brainwashing program...) but he's nobody's fool and he realizes that as long as he excels on the soccer field opportunity will follow.

But yeah, he's really a quiet genius. Immediately following the 4am fireworks incident he starts in the major Manchester derby and opens the scoring (en route to something like a 6-0 or 6-1 drubbing of the giants Man Utd by his Man City) and celebrates his goal (and week as the leading tabloid story) by revealing this shirt underneath his jersey (which also earns him a yellow card, because individual expression is naturally frowned upon by FIFA...)

Seriously, he's just amazing. A completely fascinating figure in global sport.

he doesn't have a good enough attitude to make it at the highest level. He's often hotheaded to the point of it getting in the way of his game. He's also at a club where he doesn't get on with the manager and he isn't the best forward. The only reason he's in any way popular because of a lot of rumours about things he's done (dressing up as santa to give money to homeless people, giving a kid an inspiring speech about sticking up to bullies etc etc...) most of which sound like his PR team earning their money.

Also the revealing the shirt under the jersey doesn't normally result in a yellow. It's become a thing in recent years. It's just taking the shirt off does, because typically players would throw them into the crowd and getting it back/replacing it would take too much time.

Yeah, he's "uncoachable" -- the same BS code word people use to label black people who express their individuality in any sport. He's not on one of the richest, most elite clubs in the world making gobs of money because he sucks at soccer. Yes, of course there is the element of "team v. individual" wherein his selfishness might at times be detrimental to the group, but Man City did win the EPL last year only after Balotelli made a nice layoff to Kun Aguero to score the stoppage time winner to secure the league. But yeah -- he's not an easy one, but he's definitely a talented one.

And the revealing the shirt under the jersey is a FIFA mandated yellow ever since Robbie Fowler revealed a pro-union shirt (w/r/t to a local labor battle at the time) after scoring in Liverpool, because FIFA didn't want their corporate sponsors fearing players being able to express "unsatisfactory" messages during their soccer games.
    FIFA initially became wary of this issue when some players displayed political and religious messages, like in 1997 when Liverpool’s Robbie Fowler wore a shirt supporting sacked dockers on Merseyside.

After initially relaxing the rule, FIFA made it a mandatory yellow card offence 10 years ago. There were other factors considered by world football’s governing body.

Manufacturers were paying strikers to display their logo on undershirts after scoring – the free advertising did not go down well with sponsors who had paid millions to promote their companies.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Trine 1 & 2 are local co-op on PC and absolutely beautiful games.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral "TL DR"

I consider you two to be some of the smarter and more compassionate contributors in this community, so please tell me what you think the exemplary components of OWS are.

Pretty much the majority of social problems in the US can be traced back to poverty and to distortion of the political process by moneyed interests; both of these are functions of economic inequality, which was Occupy's primary grievance.

The dominant American mythos is that your financial status is governed by your life choices, but the evidence is that this is in fact not at all true; the US has relatively low social mobility compared to other first world countries and dynasties of financially elite families. Everybody in the 99.9% is supposed to believe that our political and economic stagnation is due to our own lack of discipline rather than a predictable social effect of creeping disempowerment.

It is not a coincidence that this made for an easy deflection from OWS - any problems OWS had communicating their goals to the population were spun by media and politicians as poor strategic choices by OWS protesters themselves; not due to the influence of a moneyed elite actively trying to undermine them.

Stare at those dirty hippies. Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain.

I suspect you know my politics well enough to know that I agree with your summary concerning poverty issues etc. etc., so I'll skip that.

Am I to understand that if I had actually been on site during OWS, I would have seen something different? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just the message your giving me is not the one I was privvy to. All I got to see was Guy Fawkes masks and stoners praising bitcoins. It looked like an amalgamation of various forms of social discontent, and not all of them very reasonable.

I don't know how anyone is supposed to draw a reasonable conclusion about anything these days. It's not like I can drop my shit and fly to New York or Egypt every time something important happens. So instead I get to read forum posts and blogs and try to decide who isn't a liar or an idiot.

Short answer: the movement had problems, and they certainly squandered the momentum they had post-eviction when 40,000+ flooded the streets of NYC. They did get a national conversation going about income disparity. Obama ran on raising taxes on the wealthy.

I'm not sure that would have happened without them.

And, like all social movements, they failed to live up to the expectations.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i heard that terraria was fun but levelled off pretty quickly

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Holy fuck

they discovered hemingway's first draft of his nobel acceptance speech scrawled in the back of a book at the NYPL

My knee-jerk reaction to this news: Better check to see if it's actually an Onion article before getting too excited.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

but wife says no

wives ruin everything

carter?

make his middle name FARTER so it rhymes

you betray your noble upbringing with such filth

fak u fart jokes are the best

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013

It would need some kind of Smartglass extension or something so players couldn't see each others cards

otherwise the game would just break

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

the BUY A PC game

uhhh

mebbe broderlands2?

Settlers has no local multi because it has hidden information. Same with Ticket to Ride.

Carcasonne does though.

edit: and of course most of the dynasty warriors games have excellent split screen co-op.

They don't have local multiplayer on ticket to ride? I know the ios version does and am pretty sure the PC one does.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

'cism+ more like

• Options
    edited January 2013

It would need some kind of Smartglass extension or something so players couldn't see each others cards

Yeah, I suppose. Seems like there should be a way to make it work, even if it's just the honor system.

edit: though I guess settlers and such aren't really co-op. More counter-op.

Tamin on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    TGEM, I liked this one a lot: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8480214/979-ben-johnson-carl-lewis-seoul-olympics

This one is fairly boiler plate, echoing the then-popular audience-complicity-in-sports-violence examination, but it's a quick read http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7871507/metta-world-peace-ray-easterling-our-appetite-sanctioned-violence

Thanks for these!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he's "uncoachable" -- the same BS code word people use to label black people who express their individuality in any sport.

This is where I stopped reading. It's probably for the best.

• Options
    feral continues to make the internet a better place by making thoughtful, well-reasoned posts

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

the BUY A PC game

uhhh

mebbe broderlands2?

Carcasonne does though.

They don't have local multiplayer on ticket to ride? I know the ios version does and am pretty sure the PC one does.

same problem with hidden information. On an iOS device you can hand the thing over so the other players can't see the cards of whoevers turn it is.

While it's not as totally game breaking as it would be with Settlers of Catan, for someone who is actually playing the game well knowing the contents of everyone elses hand would pretty much ruin it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Yeah, I suppose. Seems like there should be a way to make it work, even if it's just the honor system.

Yeah, it should really have an option for just doing DON'T LOOK AT THE SCREEN WHEN IT'S NOT YOUR TURN type thing, but that would make trading a hassle.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Scott Pilgrim has local coop I think. Gatling Gears is a great little two stick shooter that does coop.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ows' demands are spookily similar to generic debt revolts of ages past

from my economisty perspective, the failure to translate the discontentment to a ten-point program is largely due to a refusal to engage in any form of organized ideological thought, never mind an ideology that took on the prevailing orthodoxy directly. But the "base" never really understood the ideological consensus they were trying to upend.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

'cism+ more like

look you can pick all colors of ninjas in that game

not really the creator's fault that everyone picks the black ninja because he looks like a better jumper

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    ows' demands are spookily similar to generic debt revolts of ages past

from my economisty perspective, the failure to translate the discontentment to a ten-point program is largely due to a refusal to engage in any form of organized ideological thought, never mind an ideology that took on the prevailing orthodoxy directly. But the "base" never really understood the ideological consensus they were trying to upend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccoj5lhLmSQ

• Options
    i heard that terraria was fun but levelled off pretty quickly

I played it for like two hundred hours.

It really depends on your personality I'd assume. There is a lot of incremental getting better stuff and whatnot. And there isn't really any goal, just some things you can do to get to hard mode and then fight super hard bosses.

I certainly enjoyed it, what with my getting an end cost of like five cents an hour. And everyone I know personally that has played it has loved it. I can see why someone wouldn't.

I do think a lot of the criticism is, though I hate to phrase it this way, entitlement. People got super pissed when the team of two split up and the main coder said "that's it, I'm gonna move on and also I have a baby now." People felt like they were promised way more. I don't really understand that, but there was a lot of criticism surrounding it. I certainly got what I paid for. Way more than it, really. So I'm excited for it for PS3 and for its sort-of-not-really spiritual successor in space, Starbound.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

but wife says no

wives ruin everything

Just pick another democratic president for his middle name. Carter Clinton Landshark. Carter Kennedy Landshark. You're gonna want the alliteration.

I can't say I would name a kid after Jummy Carter, or Jack Kennedy (or pretty much any other president I guess), but Carter Kennedy Landshark is a phenomenal name. Assuming the first two go well with Landshark.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
This discussion has been closed.