Options

Lara Croft and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Everybody should own a 360 controller.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    nah

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Everybody should own a 360 controller.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    does the 360 controller for pc work properly? that's what I got.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Do you have a wired 360 controller? If so, yes. If no, you'll need a dongle.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Oh hey wow the QTE in the wolf cave is impossibly fast.

• Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    I've never played a Tomb Raider game (mostly due to my parents never getting them for me and me never having my own money), but I really want to play this one. While some of what I've seen makes me a bit uncomfortable, it still draws me to the game. I want to see her story and I have hopes that it'll be good and satisfying when I reach the end. I need a new 360 before I get too far behind in games.

• Options
    I cannot hit this key this quickly. I don't consider myself a disabled person but maybe I'm wrong?

Push F to kick. Pretty fucking sure I'm pushing the F key...

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I flubbed a lot of the early QTEs at least once, they have a pretty small window.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    wired.

so, cool.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Well I've flubbed like ten or eleven times now because it's there and gone in about an eighth of a second. So I don't understand what's wrong.

• Options
    A 360 controller works with pretty much any game released in the past 4 years straight out of the box

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Okay so I'm supposed to press and hold it, and then press it again I guess. That's weird. So that and the 'interact' thing I've got. But...what the fuck is button 0. The 0 key? How the...ugh.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Now I remember why I generally refuse to play games with a lot of QTEs. It's this kind of shit. I've been trying to get past this stupid wolf for like an hour. I've watched it bite into my throat like 25 times now.

I have a pistol. What's the matter? Shoot the fucking thing.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If it wasn't for the fact that this game was completely fucking rad otherwise, I would be really frustrated right now.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    I dunno what to tell you, I did that QTE the first time and didn't think it was very hard at all =/

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    On the PC?

• Options
    Yeah, but I was using a 360 controller.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    A 360 controller works with pretty much any game released in the past 4 years straight out of the box

this is pretty much my favourite development in pc gaming

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    What button are you hitting? Apparently you have to press melee, and then use

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1871226&postcount=89

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    This game is pretty good so far but seems kinda poorly optimized? Shame 'cause it looks gorgeous up until it hitches for like a full second.

If it's pausing to load it's doing it frequently and for way longer than I'd expect on my SSD.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I rented this game, it's real fun so far.

I feel like this game is a bit excessive re violence towards lara, though

I mean you fall like twenty feet onto hard ground AND you get rebar through the stomach! That's a little much! I get that it's supposed to illustrate how fucked up the situation Lara is in is, but I thought the beginning of that did it fine.

Also a helluva late title card.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    After RDR no other games can claim a late title card

• Options
    Well yeah, that's a gold standard for late title cards. But Tomb Raider is pretty good.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Oh, I just thought you were stating "it's really late"

Yes

My favorite card is probably still Far Cry 3 though

The title card marked the end of the game's plot being any good

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm about midway through the shanty town at the moment, and yeah this game is awesome.

Nothing in particular about that segment, just the constant ramping up it does over the entire time i've been playing.

• Options
    Also this game has Far Cry 3's problem of "I AM SO SCARED AND TERRIFIED OF KILLING PEOPLE oh okay blam blam blam headshot headshot headshot"

Granted it's difficult to make inexperience/reluctance fun, so I give it a pass

Plus I think Lara has probably at least shot some guns and a bow and stuff.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So this isn't as creepy as that producer's interview made it out to be?

Should I get this or Farcry 3 first?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Absolutely not. They tried to sabotage their own game with their stupid marketing last year, but it is absolutely just a great game with an uncharted influence.

I would get Tomb Raider but Far Cry 3 is also a very good game. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice! One is more of a linear Uncharted like action game while the other is more of a sandbox punch sharks in the mouth game. Both are awesome.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I think the creepy raper guy was appropriately creepy. And he gets his comeuppance not long afterward .

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    And no sexual assault happens if you fail the QTE.

I concede, I did fail the first time deliberately just to check and it in no way managed to meet my fearful expectations from the hubaloo from last year. Really hope someone in marketing from Square learned a valuable lesson.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »

Absolutely not. They tried to sabotage their own game with their stupid marketing last year, but it is absolutely just a great game with an uncharted influence.

I would get Tomb Raider but Far Cry 3 is also a very good game. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice! One is more of a linear Uncharted like action game while the other is more of a sandbox punch sharks in the mouth game. Both are awesome.

That is the idea I got from perusing this thread quickly.

It has also tempted me into this, but people are people are comparing it well to Farcry 3 it seems so that just conflicts me more.

Maybe someone should just buy one or both of those games for me and save me the trouble.

TIA~

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Just started playing this last night. Goodness this is a fun game.

And yeah, from what I've played so far, the previous controversy about this game seems to have really been blown way out of proportion.
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Also this game has Far Cry 3's problem of "I AM SO SCARED AND TERRIFIED OF KILLING PEOPLE oh okay blam blam blam headshot headshot headshot"

Granted it's difficult to make inexperience/reluctance fun, so I give it a pass

Plus I think Lara has probably at least shot some guns and a bow and stuff.

See, I didn't really get that impression about her being utterly terrified of killing, as
    pretty much shortly after it happens for the first time she tells Roth over the radio about it and he's all "Whoa that must have been hard" and she's like "It was more scary how easy it was".

And yeah, her little voice flashbacks seem to imply that Roth has trained her up a bit in survival skills.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

this is pretty much my favourite development in pc gaming

The first time I tried it was with Arkham City

the fact that the game fluidly switched between mouse/keyboard and gamepad interface & prompts blew my mind

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm only about an hour in but these qte's are kicking my ass. Need to focus here, I do not need to see my Lara getting brutalized over and over.

• Options
    I think I've failed every QTE the first time through.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The fact that I know which button to press and i still fail makes it even more demoralizing.

• Options
    I've only played a little bit, but I think that thanks to this controller, I've yet to fail a QTE.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    alright so I decided to take a chance on this

I'm a couple hours in and so far it's not been so bad in terms of graphic violence, and my wife's not had any concerned reactions either. Maybe I just haven't failed the right/wrong QTEs yet, but I'm having fun and not being particularly unsettled.

• Options
    I haven't seen anything I deem particularly excessive yet but I think some of the deaths are apparently a bit overly gruesome.