Options

Lara Croft and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So far the only death in the game that made me physically cringe wasn't even one of Lara's.
    The start sequence when the guy grabs Lara as she's scrambling through the falling boulders. Passing the QTE and watching the guy's head get crushed was way more gruesome than failing and watching Lara get crushed.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Agree. Also hey this game isn't frustrating anymore (I got 360 controller)

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    So I grabbed this up from redbox tonight. An hour and a half later, first impressions in no real order
    okay I am liking this game a lot. a lot.

Game actually makes wolves suuuuuper scary

Lara calls Roth a "bloody northerner" I think and that is hilarious. She's so delightfully British.

Combat feels really good, and the QTEs are nicely handled. Died a few times before realizing every quick circle prompt is gonna be the Y button, but thank god for that because that shit goes by quick

Lara's first kill was done pretty fuckin well I thought. There is a bit of dissonance with the gameplay right after, but not as much as everyone seems to making it out to be I think. Plus, in the moment my reaction felt as visceral as Lara's so I am very impressed with how they handled that.

There seems to be SEVERAL ways through all these areas and that is awesome. I often climb up an object and only when I'm up there do I see "oh I could have taken that climbing ledge up or... Or that one over there." I dig it.

And uh, the HUD seems nice. They did a few neat things with the tutorial prompts early on where the UI was in perspective with the camera angle and that shit was greeeaaat.

So. Yes. Tomb Raider. Fuck yeah.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    The fact that I know which button to press and i still fail makes it even more demoralizing.

Bear in mind you can't be too early or you will fail as well. You need to wait until the symbol/button prompt appears before you hit anything. Once the game unlocks countering and you get good at it, you won't fail another one ever again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Some of these early cave scenes are super claustrophobic, the cinematography is really well designed

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Hence some of the comparisons people have made to The Descent (and there are a few other homages to that movie later on).

• Options
    Okay yep this game rules. Just hit.
    the plane crash

And I am loving every bit of this game

• Options
    I think I've almost beaten the game already. In one sitting. Haha.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah this game is dope as hell

I am more than a little ways into it, had a long sustained session after I got it

The bow and shotgun are incredible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping to get lots of time in on this tomorrow and Thursday. Maybe I can even be done in time for the podcast we're doing on Sunday!

I'm trying to be a completionist, though, so a large chunk of my time is running around trying to collect everything.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I've only played a little bit, but I think that thanks to this controller, I've yet to fail a QTE.

Nevermind.

Dumb wolf.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Had to take a break for the evening, I have a climbing axe now!

This game owns hard

however, I'm gonna add this game to the same category as several recent games like Dishonored

"This is really good but can you imagine what a sequel would be like"

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    One minor quibble about what I assume to be near the end of the plot.
    escaping the palace
    what the hell dudes, the place is coming down around you, flames and explosions everywhere, why are you stopping to shoot me?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    One more thing, the enemies can see through wood, stone and two hundred meters of fog in the dark.

It's getting a little annoying

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    playing now

the timing on these QTEs is a bit annoying

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I've noticed a few times that the QTEs are a bit off, particularly against this big guy who needed one to finish him off. Took 3 or 4 tries before he went down. By the last attempt, he was cringing against a wall yelling at me to leave him alone.

• Options
    Welp
    Too bad about Grim. Old coot may well have been my favorite character besides Lara.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday after reading how much folks here liked it. I'm just about to climb the radio tower, and so far this been really good! It's basically survival Uncharted with skills and weapon upgrades, and I'm OK with that.

Very minor background storyline spoiler,
    I'm sorry to see that the new continuity has Lara's father dead again.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ho boy

(story)
    samurai!

101 on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Now I remember why I generally refuse to play games with a lot of QTEs. It's this kind of shit. I've been trying to get past this stupid wolf for like an hour. I've watched it bite into my throat like 25 times now.

I have a pistol. What's the matter? Shoot the fucking thing.

Vagrant, if you're still stuck there you might have the problem I had. Youtube a video of that scene (Wolf's Den Tomb Raider should do it). For me, it literally just did not show the X prompt after the kick one. You have to kick with whatever your melee button is, and then mash X on the xbox controller (can't remember what the button does at the moment). That prompt just literally didn't show up for me, even though its prominent in the videos I could find.

Go watch one and see if you have the same weird bug. I was able to get through it knowing that's what the game wanted from me. I'm now 5 hours further and it hasn't happened again.

Edit: Read the thread, Chincy. Glad you got past it.

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    No, I was just being dumb and hitting the button too early because I thought I was supposed to mash melee.

• Options
    Bah, damn thing crashed on the end of story cutscene.

I'm taking a break

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Favorite moment so far
    That ain't nothing - I'm from Glasgow!

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I am installing this now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    this is a really fun game

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So, one of my professors was commissioned to do a poster design for the game that will be available at the Tomb Raider stores in San Francisco and New York.
    Check it owwwwt

150_jeffreyalanlovetombraiderfinalweb.jpg

other arts in the series here

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    One little detail that I really digged about characterizing Lara at the radio tower
    The way a bit of the ladder falls away that she's already climbed, which is going to make it insanely dangerous to get back down, and made me go, "awwww shit"... but Lara just looks at it for a moment and then goes right back to climbing upwards. She's got something she's got to do and she's not even going to think about getting back down until she does it.

EDIT: And then immediately after, the other survivors are like "WHOO GOT A RESPONSE ON THE RADIO" but Lara's only relieved for a moment before immediately going back to thinking of how to start a signal fire.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Sequel needs to be Lara Croft on the Island that Time Forgot

Because Lara Croft vs. Raptors would be a hell of a fight

• Options
    So, the pipe bit. At first I thought it was excessive but then I thought man I would probably try and do that, just as a reflex or something.

Also the radio tower bit made my balls rise up into my body. Fuck that's a big climb!

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    One little detail that I really digged about characterizing Lara at the radio tower
    The way a bit of the ladder falls away that she's already climbed, which is going to make it insanely dangerous to get back down, and made me go, "awwww shit"... but Lara just looks at it for a moment and then goes right back to climbing upwards. She's got something she's got to do and she's not even going to think about getting back down until she does it.

EDIT: And then immediately after, the other survivors are like "WHOO GOT A RESPONSE ON THE RADIO" but Lara's only relieved for a moment before immediately going back to thinking of how to start a signal fire.

This had one of my favorite moments thus far
    the entire game before that has Roth or some other character giving Lara a direction (as most video games do) and encouraging her, saying "she can do it"

At the top of the tower, no one tells Lara they need a signal fire or how to do it. She comes with the idea to use a gas fire on her own. And then says "okay. i can do that."

Loved that.

Also this game just got nuuuuuuts holy shit

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I've been playing this game all day and I can't stop

send help

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Anyone wanna tell me if you get to explore the island after finishing the game? I'm kinda barreling through the story at the moment and I'm wondering if I should be stopping to get stuff or if I can do it later.

• Options
    The way they characterize Lara and give her genuine independent agency is fantastic.

• Options
    I also continue to be impressed with how many options the game gives you to move through areas and deal with combat situations

I had heard that stealth wasn't really an option in this game since guards spot you almost immediately, but several time now I've found secondary paths that let me get the drop on guards and off them before they ever even realize where I'm at.

Then I'll shoot down the "main" path of the encounter and see like oh I could have taken them head on, or shot this lantern to ignite that gasoline pool, or shot this wagon carrying barrels to send them rolling down the path to hit the guards

Super impressive.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Who's this Lara you're talking about

I thought this was about a guy named Tom Braider

• Options
    Tom B. Raider, you mean?

Also seriously can I dick around on the island after the story's done? I neeed to knoooow.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Guys I can't stop killing rabbits

send help

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Tom B. Raider, you mean?

Also seriously can I dick around on the island after the story's done? I neeed to knoooow.

Yes you can.

• Options
    Awesome. I'll probably finish the story and then fuck around collecting stuff afterward, then.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Guys I can't stop killing rabbits

send help

I'd say you're having quite the hare razing adventure.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png