Options

Lara Croft and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    However, we can both agree that based on our last encounter with him, Mathias is a dick.

Also I imagine Vow will fall in love with the mystery of the island*.

*Conclusion to this train of thought pending until I find out what that mystery is.

Is it

Is it Jacob?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    This game also succeeds at having interesting journal entries, both your own when you go to certain camps, and of various characters living and dead scattered around the world (the narration really helps).

• Options
    Not for nothing, but I really wish there were a way for places like Digital Foundry to get their copies of games ahead of time

I really enjoy the technical comparison and it's always good going in to know which version is better

I haven't seen anyone make any preferential statements on either console version of Tomb Raider so I'm hoping they're more or less equal (I'm going with the 360), but it'd be nice info to have

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Not for nothing, but I really wish there were a way for places like Digital Foundry to get their copies of games ahead of time

I really enjoy the technical comparison and it's always good going in to know which version is better

I haven't seen anyone make any preferential statements on either console version of Tomb Raider so I'm hoping they're more or less equal (I'm going with the 360), but it'd be nice info to have

there's a couple of videos around, based on of them I got the PS3 version, colours looked a bit more vibrant

s'fine

• Options
    I just got home

With Tomb Raider

And Wreck-It Ralph

But mostly Tomb Raider

Shit's installing right now oh yes

Oh yes

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Can I play this on a controller? If so, how?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Can I play this on a controller? If so, how?

pc games these days usually have automatic support for gamepads, just plug in a usb controller

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    @Vann Diras

Go to redbox.com, Games, and you can reserve a copy of Tomb Raider at a local Redbox

Mine already had them in stock so if it's past midnight in your area you should be good

• Options
    Also I just did the first puzzle room in the game and it felt thoroughly Tomb Raider (though a little simple but it's the first puzzle)

I am impressed

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite has my money this month, sorry Laura.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Also I just did the first puzzle room in the game and it felt thoroughly Tomb Raider (though a little simple but it's the first puzzle)

I am impressed

Most of those rooms - just so you are prepared - are pretty straightforward single puzzle affairs. They have a specific gimmick/mechanic that you need to learn and then apply to get to whereever the chest is. They are all pretty fun, but none of them last beyond 5-10 minutes once you figure out what the trick it wants you to get is.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Buy priority

Tomb Raider>Luigi's Mansion>Bioshock

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Well after getting out of the intro cave the game has become unplayable. Every few seconds the graphics start to wig out and get all crazy.

Just fucking wonderful. Arkham City did this too. Why the fuck do I even bother with PC gaming?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Isn't PC gaming going through this massive popularity phase?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Yes, and there's plenty of pros

But I see too much shit like LockedOn's post every time a new popular game hits, and that's what's ever going to stop me from getting into it

When I stick a game in a console, it works. I'll take the trade-off of it not looking quite as pretty

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So apparently I have to turn tesselation off to make the game playable because having it on makes everything just bug out.

Feels great that I dropped a few hundred on a new video card last year and I have to turn off features it was designed for to play games, yup.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    So what were people saying about this evoking stuff from The Descent?

Normally I'm not one for horror movies, because, well, they're not usually very good

But I feel like I should at least check that one out based on what I've heard?

Another neat thing I like about this game; examining relics you find. Yeah, it's kind of pointless, but I enjoyed it in old RE games, I enjoyed it in L.A. Noire, and I enjoy it here

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    @Vann Diras

Go to redbox.com, Games, and you can reserve a copy of Tomb Raider at a local Redbox

Mine already had them in stock so if it's past midnight in your area you should be good

Well hello there

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Crap, what's going on? I remember pre-loading Tomb Raider, then opening it just after midnight to check it out before bed...and now it's after 2 am. Dammit!

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Wait what

Did you black out

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Aaaannd got a copy reserved. Gonna hella tomb raid tomorrow

• Options
    Because I know you don't forget the amazing shit that happens in the first couple hours

This game has got its hooks in me but good

Which is great because I couldn't take another AC3-style disappointment in my life, especially on this game

• Options
    Can I just say the marketing last year was so fucking dumb. It was almost like they were trying to sabotage their own game.

• Options
    My only real complaint with this game is that the QTEs are too quick, and I'm a dude who is attuned to and enjoys QTE sequences

They wait a little too long to reveal which button to press

Luckily it is always the same button for each particular sequence

• Options
    And the symbol is always the same. The ring one will always be Y for example.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Oh!

Awesome

They'd all been Y up to this point so I thought it was just coincidental or the game's way of introducing the QTE mechanic (similar to how the first boss fight in any God of War game always uses pre-programmed buttons of the same type, like Square Square Square Square)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Once you unlock countering you wilk become a pro at the qte in no time.

• Options
    My only real complaint with this game is that the QTEs are too quick, and I'm a dude who is attuned to and enjoys QTE sequences

They wait a little too long to reveal which button to press

Luckily it is always the same button for each particular sequence

it took me a bit to work this out

but the ones with the circle closing in and the quick reveal of the button will always be Triangle/Y

I never missed another once I worked it out

• Options
    Anything to do with climbing or gripping will be x and so on. After the first 2 hours I have not died to a qte

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So the qtes are not annoying, is that what I'm reading here?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the "insta-death" QTE's, but the checkpoint system and quick load times mean it doesn't really bother me when I fail and die horribly. And I have died so very horribly several times already.

I don't think I should be playing this game alone in the dark.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Once you take heed of the above comments, yes

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Cool

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The trend of me being terrible with a bow continues with Tomb Raider

• Options
    @UnbreakableVow get better with it

the bow is salvation

and so much of the later upgrade tiers are STAB MOTHERFUCKERS WITH AN ARROW

• Options
    I have stubbornly determined that for once in a game I will use the bow and become good with it, because bows are awesome.

Also, is there some way to keep track of your ammo stacks that I'm not seeing, besides remembering a number when you pick more up?

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    So what were people saying about this evoking stuff from The Descent?

Normally I'm not one for horror movies, because, well, they're not usually very good

But I feel like I should at least check that one out based on what I've heard?

Another neat thing I like about this game; examining relics you find. Yeah, it's kind of pointless, but I enjoyed it in old RE games, I enjoyed it in L.A. Noire, and I enjoy it here

The Descent is great and certainly worthy of being part of 500 days of netflix (if its on there I dont know if it is)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    It's interesting to start with a bow as your only form of defence instead of a melee weapon, it teaches you early that combat is often a mad scramble to stay alive.

• Options
    You need a skill to make melee attacks in the first place. Takes a while to get there.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You need a skill to make melee attacks in the first place. Takes a while to get there.

yes yes this is exactly what I want. That sounds like an awesome way to tie the narrative to the gameplay

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]