As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    Do we have a consensus of what server type we'd be rolling on? I'm usually not one for pvp but this game really has me wanting it.

I prefer PvP since it makes questing much more exciting.

Anything else is fine so long as that's what the majority wants, but I really hope we don't end up with an RP server.

This would be true in an MMORPG that is well designed for it. In most it just boils down to players far enough above you in level that you effectively cannot hurt them going around being asses just because they can. I don't know if this game is doing any sort of GW2-style level scaling by zone, but without something of that sort playing on a PvP server is about as fun as pounding nails into your dick.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I would RP Sherminator the Mecha sent from the future to please all the ladies.

Noizlanif on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Do we have a consensus of what server type we'd be rolling on? I'm usually not one for pvp but this game really has me wanting it.

Anything else is fine so long as that's what the majority wants, but I really hope we don't end up with an RP server.

This would be true in an MMORPG that is well designed for it. In most it just boils down to players far enough above you in level that you effectively cannot hurt them going around being asses just because they can. I don't know if this game is doing any sort of GW2-style level scaling by zone, but without something of that sort playing on a PvP server is about as fun as pounding nails into your dick.

My first MMO was pre-Trammel Ultima Online, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so it's not unappealing to me. I guess I should look into pounding nails into my dick during my free time? :P

The fear of getting ganked at early (and all) "levels" made the game much more thrilling than anything I've played since. Most players might not find it enjoyable and that's fine, but there can be a very real benefit to open PvP for some of us.

I just want to play with the PA community, and I'm okay with whatever we decide.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    ahaha I can only imagine an rp server being filled with nothing but nightmare fuel in every bar and seedy tavern

Goldshires as far as the eye can see.

488W936.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    ahaha I can only imagine an rp server being filled with nothing but nightmare fuel in every bar and seedy tavern

Goldshires Furries and Robosexuels as far as the eye can see.

Fixed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrik wrote: »

My first MMO was pre-Trammel Ultima Online, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so it's not unappealing to me. I guess I should look into pounding nails into my dick during my free time? :P

The fear of getting ganked at early (and all) "levels" made the game much more thrilling than anything I've played since. Most players might not find it enjoyable and that's fine, but there can be a very real benefit to open PvP for some of us.

I just want to play with the PA community, and I'm okay with whatever we decide.

It depends on how the game is structured whether I enjoy open PvP or not, Its just a lot of the games are not designed to handle that at all. I get the appeal of requiring an increased level of situational awareness, but when the games turn into the MMO equivalent of forced stealth sections in singleplayer games (You were spotted, you're dead, go back to checkpoint), I tend to stick to PvE servers.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Goldshires Furries and Robosexuels as far as the eye can see.

Fixed.

I find the idea of playing a female Mechari at launch appealing for a variety of reasons.

RPing a sexbot is not one of them.

Unless it gets me free stuff at some point...

488W936.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    it seems more and more likely I won't be on the same server as you fellers. Still thinking exile and PvP server is a must for me!

• Options
    We should go on a PvP server.

If enough people do not want that, then we won't but that is my preference and I imagine I'm not alone on that.

488W936.png
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    We should go on a PvP server.

If enough people do not want that, then we won't but that is my preference and I imagine I'm not alone on that.

If it lets me laser beam furries to death from my crotch, then im alll for it.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular

Goldshires as far as the eye can see.

Better call in the Beasts of Unusual Size for this one.

As for Group Finder. I'm totally for it. All my issues with it from WoW came from a 7 day trial that Blizzard wanted me to use to see all their new ponies. Just jerks all over the place in their Dungeon Finder, but that seems to be with people more then the system itself.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One way or another I'm playing on PvE and Dominion. And absolutely not on an RP server.

Should that line up with some other PAers, I'd be super glad to play with them. But considering how long PA guilds tend to last (one month? Two?), I'm definitely not going to compromise on my server preferences just for that.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    One way or another I'm playing on PvE and Dominion. And absolutely not on an RP server.

Should that line up with some other PAers, I'd be super glad to play with them. But considering how long PA guilds tend to last (one month? Two?), I'm definitely not going to compromise on my server preferences just for that.

Me either.

I'll say it more bluntly: It's stupid to organize a PA guild on a PvP server. Not every one likes PvP servers, and it splits the community unnecessarily. Every time it's been tried in the past, the guild is abandoned much more quickly than usual as people migrate away to find a more peaceful leveling pace for alts/wives or girlfriends start playing who refuse to play PvP servers/non-community friends start playing who don't want to play on PvP servers. It's an unnecessary gate to the community, when everyone and their brother knows the most active and supported PvP will be the modes available to everyone.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Me either.

I'll say it more bluntly: It's stupid to organize a PA guild on a PvP server. Not every one likes PvP servers, and it splits the community unnecessarily. Every time it's been tried in the past, the guild is abandoned much more quickly than usual as people migrate away to find a more peaceful leveling pace for alts/wives or girlfriends start playing who refuse to play PvP servers/non-community friends start playing who don't want to play on PvP servers. It's an unnecessary gate to the community, when everyone and their brother knows the most active and supported PvP will be the modes available to everyone.

Duly noted.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I like world PvP but honestly I'd rather create an active guild and do PvP on my own time or with interested people. And the game that can hold an active PA presence past a few months is going to be a game worth staying with, like we did with WoW and the Clawshrimp/Beasts.

488W936.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hah

cwgabriel ‏@cwgabriel who/what do I need to do in order to get in on the Wildstar Beta?

On the PVE/PVP front I'm down for whatever the majority is, I'll be glad to play on PVE if the bulk of PA crew is there

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Read the OP - but still can't figure out how to sign up for the guild. Do we email corehealer?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    [
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Read the OP - but still can't figure out how to sign up for the guild. Do we email corehealer?

Put the information in the OP into the beta application's relevant fields.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Way back in Vanilla WoW, I was a part of the best PvE-focused Hordeside raid on my server, right? And one of my fellow healers was this guy who was just incredible. I mean, just tremendously talented, and easily one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people I had ever met. He was also a mechanics machine. If you ever had any questions about how a fight worked, he was the guy to talk to.

Anyway, I'm bringing up all of that because he now works for Carbine, the studio that's creating Wildstar. We've kept in touch over the years. Like, he's on my Facebook or whatever, and he's constantly updating everyone with information on the game. I think it looks awesome, to be honest, but I'm actually the most excited about the fact that he's working on it. I mean, this is a guy who knows his shit, so I absolutely cannot wait to see what this game is going to be like once it goes live.

• Options
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Way back in Vanilla WoW, I was a part of the best PvE-focused Hordeside raid on my server, right? And one of my fellow healers was this guy who was just incredible. I mean, just tremendously talented, and easily one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people I had ever met. He was also a mechanics machine. If you ever had any questions about how a fight worked, he was the guy to talk to.

Anyway, I'm bringing up all of that because he now works for Carbine, the studio that's creating Wildstar. We've kept in touch over the years. Like, he's on my Facebook or whatever, and he's constantly updating everyone with information on the game. I think it looks awesome, to be honest, but I'm actually the most excited about the fact that he's working on it. I mean, this is a guy who knows his shit, so I absolutely cannot wait to see what this game is going to be like once it goes live.

What did he say after you asked him to get us access to every phase of the beta? :winky:

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    @Kaliyama Make sure you check the little blip on the beta app that asks if you belong to a gaming group. You get some additional boxes to fill in you can put the OP info in when you do.

• Options
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Way back in Vanilla WoW, I was a part of the best PvE-focused Hordeside raid on my server, right? And one of my fellow healers was this guy who was just incredible. I mean, just tremendously talented, and easily one of the most intelligently and thoughtful people I had ever met. He was also a mechanics machine. If you ever had any questions about how a fight worked, he was the guy to talk to.

What did he say after you asked him to get us access to every phase of the beta? :winky:

The most obvious question.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I actually haven't asked him about the beta, to be honest. If you guys have any questions about the game, though, just let me know. I'd be happy to run them by him.

• Options
    http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/clearing-up-misconceptions-on-open-world-pvp.2072/

Apparently they plan to have people you kill either in BGs or open world PVP to be worth experience.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    And it will be exploited for powerleveling from day one.

I mean, not the biggest issue in the grand scheme of things, I guess. At least you don't get gold for it. Still, a rather odd decision.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Hoooopefully some diminishing returns caveat applies to that. We'll see.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Those flagging rules sound like WoW.

I am okay with that, I quite liked that system.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Fuck ya'll! Open world PvP fo lyfe!

It's cool though, the GF agrees that we should be on a PvP server (and it was her idea to play this game!) so at least I will have someone to watch my back.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    PvP servers are great if you can keep up with the first "wave" and don't plan to level an alt.

Otherwise, for the slower levelers and alts, it's all ganking and corpse-camping.

Let's not put on the open world PvP rose colored glasses. It's all fun and games for the first 30-60 days, but then when the sheep start to get frustrated and transfer, it leaves only a world of wolves who slowly eat their own packs until there's nothing left.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I remember in Warhammer Online (which had open-world PvP zones even on thier PvE severs), if you went back to a lower-level zone and starting attacking players there (or was it just entering the PvP zone for that region? been a while), you were transformed into a defencless chicken. I always thought that was a neat idea to prevent high level characters ganking lowbies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think world pvp could shake out fun if they actually did that level scaling thing GW2 does based on zone

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    PvP servers are great if you can keep up with the first "wave" and don't plan to level an alt.

Otherwise, for the slower levelers and alts, it's all ganking and corpse-camping.

Let's not put on the open world PvP rose colored glasses. It's all fun and games for the first 30-60 days, but then when the sheep start to get frustrated and transfer, it leaves only a world of wolves who slowly eat their own packs until there's nothing left.

I hear the stories but I've never actually seen it. Sure ganking happens but in WoW it was never some endless campathon of noobs. Wehn higher levels start hunting in lower level zones the countergankers become aware and they begin their hunt. I love that aspect. And this is totally not only in the beginning. Hell I played on a carebear server for my first year of WoW before I learned the greatness of PvP servers. Seriously people make it soound WAY worse than it is. It's not for everyone but it's really not some awful unplayable wasteland from ganks.

• Options
    Yet at the same time PVP servers threw a fit when Blizz temporarily allowed PVE->PVP server transfers. Open world PVP is apparently so amazing you shouldn't be allowed to skip the leveling portion of it.

• Options
    World PvP (in WoW especially) was quite a bit of fun, some of my best memories are world pvp at the open of Burning Crusade.

Some of my worst memories was leveling an alt on a PvP server. Hours of being unable to do my quests, being forced to spend twenty minutes moving to the other side of the world for the alternate zone and getting spawn camped there too.

It has moments of great fun, that's for sure. It also has moments that suck all the fun out of the game. Which really sucks.

A level scaling system would probably help but wouldn't solve it. It's a fun system, but some times I just want to log in and pick flowers.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Yet at the same time PVP servers threw a fit when Blizz temporarily allowed PVE->PVP server transfers. Open world PVP is apparently so amazing you shouldn't be allowed to skip the leveling portion of it.

That's the playerbase throwing a hissy-fit about something stupid. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything here?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with open world pvp is that the people that annoy you enough to warrant death tend to belong to same faction with you.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    That's the playerbase throwing a hissy-fit about something stupid. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything here?
    If the playerbase itself doesn't consider pre-cap PVP to be fun enough to be its own reward then claims of "it's not so bad!" just make me think that person has a much higher tolerance for bullshit than me. Which is not meant as an insult, just the reason why I'm skeptical it applies to me.

Glal on
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    If the playerbase itself doesn't consider pre-cap PVP to be fun enough to be its own reward then claims of "it's not so bad!" just make me think that person has a much higher tolerance for bullshit than me. Which is not meant as an insult, just the reason why I'm skeptical it applies to me.

The complaints about people switching from PvE to PvP are because those people don't think people should be able to level without the added challange (which there is an added challange) of being on the PvP server. I'm not sure how this conveys anything about the experience not being rewarding.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    My biggest issue with open world pvp is that the people that annoy you enough to warrant death tend to belong to same faction with you.

There certainly were times I wanted to track down, stalk, and murder people in Barrens chat.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    PvP servers are fun when circumstances are ideal, and the sense of danger elevates your immersion, and the fights you have are fairly even and sometimes go your way and sometimes go the other way. The problem is the circumstances are rarely ideal, and more often you'll just have a bad day at work and want to go level or something and then get killed repeatedly in fights you have no chance of winning, and then you'll wish you could just pvp when you choose to.

If Wildstar offers zones of all level ranges that are home territories, and zones of those same ranges that are open pvp, I think that would be cool and I'd probably play on a pvp server. Otherwise probably not.

One of my funniest(while frustrating at the time) memories of WoW was early on in Vanilla when I was on a pvp server. I'm going to spoiler the story so it's not taking up real estate in this otherwise Wildstar related post:
    I was playing a Dwarf Priest(holy spec) in vanilla WoW with some friends. We were merrily marching our way to blackfathom depths to get our dungeon on, and this troll rogue named Balsagna(I'll never forget) just comes up and wrecks us all. He's like level 45 and we're level 20 and we simply had no chance. He just kept killing us when we'd respawn all the way until we were able to zone in to the instance.

Many many months later having stopped playing and come back I was level 40. I just hit level 40 and did not have anywhere near enough gold to buy my mount. Back in these days, you simply didn't make gold hand over fist like you do now in WoW just from questing and what not. So I did what any dwarf would do. I went to Apocryphan's rest in the Badlands, and I killed Buzzards. You see, there was basically an unlimited supply of buzzards for me to slay here, and I was getting down on so much vendor loot I'd have my mount in a few more mere hours of grinding. I even got some sweet greens to sell on the AH.

One on of my trips to the vendor, I'm leaving buzzard land and look to the horizon. What do I see but a horde dude rocking around on his mount. Then I see his name. Balsagna, the now level 60 Troll Rogue. I panic, but it's too late. I've been spotted, and he's on his way to me. He slaughters me and moves on with his day. I should've been mad but I just found it so hilarious that the same fucking guy got me again all these months later.

It's funny how you can be nostalgic for the silliest things, but yeah.

This discussion has been closed.