Options

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Hard mode Mimiron is the fight that defined WoW raiding for me. I've yet to meet anybody who says WoW raids were too easy or boring or you just stand there and tank that can show me they have the achievement for completing it. It was INSANELY hard pre nerf, and that's what I loved about it. It took perfect coordination, cooldown rotations, communication, etc. It was a hard mode for a reason. It's fine for a game to have content like that, as long as they also balance it with content for people not looking for that challenge.

I think LFR(not necessarily everything they've done with it but the concept of letting everybody see the raids) was the best thing WoW ever did though. It's important to let everybody see the content the way they want to.

@am0n, pillar humping refers to using the environment to break line of sight/effect. In WoW, the arenas all had pillars and what not, and the fights often boiled down to people dancing around the pillars instead of fighting each other straight up.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ah, that was after my time. I remember the pillars in the arenas, but the few times I went in there people engaged one another.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Really, I think just all of Ulduar was the defining moment of Raiding in WoW. But I think that had to do with the way hard modes were implemented, which were normally organic and were apart of the boss fights. Breaking the heart on XT for instance, hitting the big ass red button on Mimiron, actually getting to Sif, leaving all the towers up on Leviathan, going One Light in the Darkness anyways after someone fucked up and picked Mimiron... I really really enjoyed that more then the right click on instance and set it to hard mode way they went to afterwards. That just broke the immersion of the boss fights. Like I said, it just made it feel much more organic.

Now I think about it, that's probably what put me off later in WoW's life. I wish more games in general had that kind of hard mode implementation.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Ulduar was the last raid I had fun with in my long standing raiding guild. After that, the guild fell apart as people increasingly became dissatisfied with the raids and changes in guild leadership. I didn't do Icecrown until close to Cata dropping and when I did do it, I only killed Lich King once and his fight was arguably the most interesting out of the whole place. Even Wrath era Naxx generally had more complex fights the further you got in it.

Cata raiding wise I did Twilight and the pseudo remake of BWL and was unimpressed. That giant with the drakes was a joke compared to some of the stuff we had to do in AQ40.

I expect great things from this game in these regards if they are really serious about pursuing a WoW style trinity that's more open role wise per class and raid encounters that include 40 mans. Given enough time and hype I bet we can wrangle 40 PAers to run some end game content and do it well.

488W936.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/uplink_analysis_healthy_communities.php

Recently, we hosted an AMA on Reddit about Combat and PvP, where it was revealed that we'd have a Group Finder that worked solely cross-server. As any veteran MMO player might expect, this reveal caused no small amount of hubbub across the entire fansite community. The conversations were extremely constructive, polite, and thoughtful, which served as true inspiration for us to take your thoughts and concerns to a continued the conversation amongst the development team. As we’ve said in the past, the dev team's primary goal is to remove barriers to entry for both social connections and experiencing new content. In tandem with those efforts, our goal as a Community team is to remove barriers to creating micro-communities that form in games, whether that's an individual's reputation or a server's identity as a whole.

So after some brainstorming, we believe we've come up with the appropriate solution: At launch, our Group Finder will include a checkbox to allow you to only group with players from your own server. Players who are willing to submit to a longer wait using Group Finder will be placed with people from their own servers when looking to tackle Dungeons, Adventures, and unrated Battlegrounds. (Ranked Arenas, Battlegrounds, and Warplots will still only be available cross-server, to allow for proper rating-based matchmaking.)

We think this solution strikes the proper balance between our needs and the players' needs, and the usual refrain of allowing players to play the way they want to play factored in heavily into this decision. But even more so, this is an example of the kind of interaction we will continue to build on.

The devs are listening!

Troy, Loic, and David

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    I was surprised at the backlash in that AMA. I thought that the group finder was one of the best things WOW ever added to the game. I am admittedly a dungeon junky and it was so nice to not have to spam city chat to find groups.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    These guys are earning an incredible amount of good will.

Hype train preparing to depart from station!

• Options
    dougyfresh wrote: »
    I was surprised at the backlash in that AMA. I thought that the group finder was one of the best things WOW ever added to the game. I am admittedly a dungeon junky and it was so nice to not have to spam city chat to find groups.

My guess is it's not the dungeon finder that was the issue. It was the cross-server dungeon finder. Which I am fine with. When I queue up, I want to go run a dungeon. If I wanted to do it with people I knew... I'd ask them instead of using the dungeon finder...

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    And I mean c'mon people, no one is holding a gun to your head and saying, do it this way; you can still spam chat or grab a guild or group of friends and run that shit just fine without ever touching the GF.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I mostly took the backlash as people wanting to have their cake and eat it too

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »

People angry on the internet, gamers complaining about casuals (in this case without basis), sky blue, boy bands still dead.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    And I mean c'mon people, no one is holding a gun to your head and saying, do it this way; you can still spam chat or grab a guild or group of friends and run that shit just fine without ever touching the GF.

Depending on how much you are spamming chat, the GF may not want to touch you...

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    At launch, our Group Finder will include a checkbox to allow you to only group with players from your own server. Players who are willing to submit to a longer wait using Group Finder will be placed with people from their own servers when looking to tackle Dungeons, Adventures, and unrated Battlegrounds. (Ranked Arenas, Battlegrounds, and Warplots will still only be available cross-server, to allow for proper rating-based matchmaking.)

This is the most brilliant solution to this "issue" that I can't believe nobody thought of before.

I've always been in the camp of "Give me dungeon finder, even if it means sacrificing server community." For my money, when I want to run a dungeon, I want to run a dungeon, and I've had plenty of conversations with people running them in wow. Maybe not everybody wants to chat, but whatever, it's their prerogative.

I've always just thought do it cross server anyway, but I can respect that some people only want to do things with people on their own server, so letting them choose to wait longer to have that option is pretty awesome. I still believe in the end, metrics will show very very few people are willing to wait longer to just group with people only from their servers, but whatever, give them the option.

• Options

People angry on the internet, gamers complaining about casuals (in this case without basis), sky blue, boy bands still dead.

I never really got that "CASUAAAALLLLLS!" wailing and gnashing of teeth. If you're on a low pop server, trying to get anything group related done would be like trying to pull porcupine spines out of your dick. that was the entire point of dungeon finders before it became another bullet point on the list of "Things you put in your mmo"

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The issue is, it's not really a "solution." (but it's also not a problem) My prediction is this: the people that don't want cross-server, typically don't want it for anyone. They want to force everyone to be a part of their community. So, the fact that they can now only group with their server, but that it might impact their queue (since others will queue with any server, potentially pulling players out of their pool) will continue to be a problem for them.

It'd be great if I was wrong, but I've learned to place little faith in the masses... especially the masses of gamers posting on forums.

am0n on
  • Options

I never really got that "CASUAAAALLLLLS!" wailing and gnashing of teeth. If you're on a low pop server, trying to get anything group related done would be like trying to pull porcupine spines out of your dick. that was the entire point of dungeon finders before it became another bullet point on the list of "Things you put in your mmo"

Yeah, I always enjoyed the group finder mechanics. Even in a bad group, I'd just leave and try again. I never understood the hate towards it.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

I almost think the inevitable backlash against cross-server dungeons finders is just the vocal minority making a "trendy" argument. You're right, noone forces you to use the dungeon finder, so the people who "despise" it could just stick to their guns and not use it.

I know a typical argument is that the dungeon finder destroys "the community," but really, when you spend hours trying to chat-spam your way into a group, I'd say that there isn't really much community to be had.

Sometimes you just want to log in, kill mans and take their stuff with a group of like-minded murder hobos.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options

I almost think the inevitable backlash against cross-server dungeons finders is just the vocal minority making a "trendy" argument. You're right, noone forces you to use the dungeon finder, so the people who "despise" it could just stick to their guns and not use it.

I know a typical argument is that the dungeon finder destroys "the community," but really, when you spend hours trying to chat-spam your way into a group, I'd say that there isn't really much community to be had.

Sometimes you just want to log in, kill mans and take their stuff with a group of like-minded murder hobos.

This is something to think about for guild names.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    group of like-minded murder hobos.

Ah but in WildStar there will be housing, so not everybody will be a murder hobo. :P

I still love 'murder hobo' though. It's the most accurate descriptor of most MMO players and even RPG players.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    group of like-minded murder hobos.

Ah but in WildStar there will be housing, so not everybody will be a murder hobo. :P

I still love 'murder hobo' though. It's the most accurate descriptor of most MMO players and even RPG players.

"Get his shoes! Get his shoes!"

in other news, these OST tracks are fucking k-rad

Beezel on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

I like it.

It could also serve as a reference to the class in The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I signed up for the beta on their initial website in August 2011, I had been interested in whatever Carbine was up to before that given they were working on an MMO and some of the people involved made me look forward to seeing what would come out of it. I haven't been following it too closely since then but I like what I have seen so I filled out the newer beta application with the guild info from here.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    edited April 2013

We Are Nice Gulag: Unlike Protostar, our humble band of murder hobos keeps dreams from coming true. For money!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Actually, if some PAers with horrible tastes wanted to form an Exile guild I think Murder Hobos would be pretty apt. Though personally I am a fan of the full "Like-Minded Murder Hobos" name.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Actually, if some PAers with horrible tastes wanted to form an Exile guild I think Murder Hobos would be pretty apt. Though personally I am a fan of the full "Like-Minded Murder Hobos" name.

Depending how the classes and races pan out, I second this. I, too, like the full phrase. I just hedged my bets on guild naming protocol.

• Options
    Maybe we could all just dress our characters like hobos.

Speaking of which, have they said anything about how they're handling character clothing and other cosmetic options?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    "Enjoy your furries and rednecks, exile scum!" I will shout as I sit in my diamond encrusted lawnchair in our warplot.

• Options
    Taranis wrote: »

Speaking of which, have they said anything about how they're handling character clothing and other cosmetic options?

All clothes are able to be swapped appearance wise ala Aion and GW2 with other gear you like the look of, and all gear can be dyed with three different dye combos per piece.

Weapons and stuff will also apparently have similar cosmetic systems.

488W936.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    "Enjoy your furries and rednecks, exile scum!" I will shout as I sit in my diamond encrusted lawnchair in our warplot.

Drinking something expensive, no doubt. :)

Seriously, the Meet the Exiles/Dominion videos are one of my favorite things. I could watch them over and over.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I hope for a costume tab or something of that nature. I'm not a fan of "Transmute" stuff, but will tolerate it.

I also pray for an abandonment of class restricted armor, but I doubt we'll see that.

• Options
    Also, I think an Exile guild acting as a mirror to the Dominion one, perhaps on the same server, would be great and that murder hobo name would be fitting for those inbred hummies amrite?

Exile players are also more then welcome to share Dominion guild space and vise versa alt wise, and everyone is welcome on the TS3 server.

488W936.png
  • Options

I hope for a costume tab or something of that nature. I'm not a fan of "Transmute" stuff, but will tolerate it.

I also pray for an abandonment of class restricted armor, but I doubt we'll see that.

I recall reading they also have a costume tab of some sort, that has casual clothes as well as the ability to save sets of armor.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Do we have a consensus of what server type we'd be rolling on? I'm usually not one for pvp but this game really has me wanting it.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    It sounds like warplots will be the centerpiece of their PVP, but the way it is described (40 vs. 40) would accessible by both PVE and PVP centric servers.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PvE is always preferred.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Do we have a consensus of what server type we'd be rolling on? I'm usually not one for pvp but this game really has me wanting it.

Good question. I normally am a PvP kind of guy and the setting for this game really does make me want to subjugate some filthy inbred hicks. However, I understand it isn't for everyone so I'll roll with whatever consensus we get.

edit- Basically I am abstaining. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Axen wrote: »

As much as I want to be a furry (yeah, I said it), I learned from the SW:TOR guilds that it's best to just go where the majority seems to. The Republic SW:TOR guild seemed... Well, it seemed a lot less active than the Empire guild. Would be cool if they DID allow cross-faction chat (at least in say and shout), though. Then we could have parties!

This is a good question. I am a carebear, myself, so if my vote is worth anything, I'd vote PvE.

am0n on
  • Options

I prefer PvP since it makes questing much more exciting.

Anything else is fine so long as that's what the majority wants, but I really hope we don't end up with an RP server.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    PA Guild tradition is to migrate/start on a PvE server. Modern MMO's have so many PvP options now it's silly to push away certain demographics.

• Options
    ahaha I can only imagine an rp server being filled with nothing but nightmare fuel in every bar and seedy tavern

This discussion has been closed.