As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] INTO THE ODD - Horrific, Rules-Lite D&D

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    It's a party of 5, with just OminousLozenge left to act before the creature.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Edit: Mispost. Ignore this.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Kairon gets his feet under him and swings with his hatchet after that first volley.
    Hatchet!: 1d6 4

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    The hatchet glances the creature, which lunges back at Kairon, trying to trap him in its jaws.
    The creature has a handful of HP left. 3 damage to Kairon, who must make a STR Save or face Critical Damage.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Is that 3 damage what gets through my Armor 2 arcana?)

EDIT: In case it is, here's my failed STR Save: STR Save: 1d20 9

Womp womp.

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    The creature clamps its jaws around Kairon before shaking him like a ragdoll. It releases its grip, sending Kairon crashing into the cave wall. Heavily battered, but miraculously, still conscious.
    Yeah, already took the armour into account. Kairon reduced to STR 5, but still up and fighting. Your turn, guys.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "Sufferin' Succotash!" exclaims Tiris, reloading and feeding the creature some more musket fodder.
    Musket: 1d6+1 = 3 (2)

Eww, crappy!

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Alfonso drops his musket and rushes in-between the beast and the sprawled Kairon, not willing to let it finish the job before the man recovers. He draws his weapon - a cavalry saber, a tad too long for use on foot - and slashes at the creature.

Damage: 4

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Tiris' shot causes the creature to rear back, Alfonso thrusting his sabre into its gut. It barks out and twists away from the blade as the blood starts to flow.
    We're onto Critical Damage, folks! It's hurt, but has some fight left in it.

• Options
    "Keep it up, boys!" Tiris says with a Dwarven accent, even though he's not Dwarven.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    "Why.

"Won't it."

*BOOM*

"Die?"

Musket: 1d6+1 5

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    "Well, we had a good run!"

Hansel tosses his musket aside and joins the charge with his axe.

1 damage. Welp.

• Options
    Kairon picks himself up and lumbers toward the beast. One arm wrapped around his midsection, he raises his hatchet in his other hand and brings it down as hard as he can.
    Hatchet!: 1d6 4

• Options
    edited May 2013
    The musket shot wounds the beast again, and Kairon's hatchet brings it to the ground.

It's not dead, but it's out of fight and won't last long at the rate it's bleeding.

If you take a short break you can regain any lost HP, but any Ability Score loss won't recover until you have a long rest back in civilisation.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    "So what is it, friends--have mercy, or deliver the final blow? I rather feel like if our new friends are watching, they may want the body."

• Options
    edited May 2013
    "...I was hoping we could sell the body to some zoologist.." Alfonso murmurs, crestfallen. Almost as an afterthought, he turns to Kairon and asks "you okay there?"

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Kairon settles into an undignified flop to catch his breath. "I think it cracked a rib or two. I'll be fine, thanks... So, what now?"

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    "If Kairon wants to continue, we should scout the rest of this level. I think those tubes will take us back to the natives when we're done, but I don't know if we just delivered them from a savage predator or murdered their god-beast."

• Options
    Taking a moment to pick up and reload his musket, Hansel nods. "Probably for the best to look around, now that you mention it."

• Options
    Did we decide to kill the beast? If so, is there anything useful that can be salvaged from it? Monster Hunter, yo!

• Options
    "It's probably safe to resume tunneling. Here's what I found in there. Let me update the map..." Kairon digs out his sketching tools and fills in more of the map...
    ITO_zps22fad62c.jpg

• Options
    Map looks pretty legit. Will double check it when I get home.
    The creature doesn't look to have anything that would normally be of value (fine pelts, ivory tusks etc) but it's certainly weird. Not like any animal you've heard of before.

Of course, large beasts like this sometimes have goodies in their gut. Care to cut it open?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    "Everyone else stand back," Tiris says. Tiris pulls out his blade and decide to check the innards of the beast, readying himself to spring back in case something toxic is released.

am0n on
  • Options
    Should have mentioned I was away this weekend. I'll be back tomorrow to make a post!

• Options
    Half certain the creature's belly will be full of spiders or bats or something, Hansel takes aim with his musket should anything leap out as Tiris cuts.

• Options
    Huh, thinks Cenk as he is momentarily blinded by the smell of the creature's insides, synesthesia.

• Options
    The creature's guts spill free as Tiris slices it open. Somehow the stomach contents seem to far exceed the space within the beast. Looks like it had been feeding well.

Among the disgusting mess you can make out some half-chewed bones, a leather boot, two large coins worth 20s, parts of a broken clay statue and at least a dozen black pearl-like stones.

• Options
    Covering his nose, Tiris reaches in to take the large coins and pearl-like stones, remembering that stones from the stomachs of animals tend to fetch a good price in many traditional cultures.

• Options
    "Hmm.." Kairon digs out the bullet pouch he looted from the primitive they killed and inspects one of the balls. He compares it to the stones Tiris gathers from the dead beast's innards.

((Are they the same?))

• Options
    "Hey, free boot!" Hansel chuckles to himself as he reaches to examine the clay statue.

• Options
    The stones are much lighter than the primitive shot used in the guns. Definitely not the same.

The statue looks like some sort of winged animal, but it's too badly broken to work out much more.

• Options
    Cenk drops his share of the black stones into a pouch and moves into the next room to inspect the oven, poking through the ashes with a shard of pottery.
    Just seeing what there is to see. From the earlier description, I'm guessing it's more of a kiln than a cook stove--correct? Also, does the pottery display any evidence of technology or culture (glazes, artistic designs, etc.)?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    It looks like a kiln, yes. Pretty basic in construction, as are the pots. They're simple clay pots, but are painted with a white pattern. Each has a different theme.

Pot One shows humanoid figures pointing to stars in the sky.
    Pot Two shows a snake eating the stars.
    Pot Three shows a snake moving underneath a mountain pattern.
    Pot Four shows humanoid figures gathered in caves. In one cave they are bowing down to a snake.
    Pot Five shows a number of bat-like creatures eating a snake. This is similar to the pattern in the painted cave.
    Pot Six shows a mountain, with stars above. There are humanoid figures floating in between.

They're rather impractical to carry, but you could manage to take them with you if you like. Might be worth something to the right buyer.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    "So, if I'm gathering this correctly--and please, if I sound like a babbling fool, stop me--but I think mayhaps we weren't hunters OR sacrifices... we were pest control."

• Options
    In the distance you can hear echoing barks, similar to the creature you just killed. At least two of the creatures are making noise, but it sounds like some distance away.

• Options
    "Oh, that's not good. Quickly, let's all head eastward. The tunnel comes to an intersection, then further east there was torchlight coming from the passage."

Kairon rises stiffly and shoulders his gear again to continue their explorations.

• Options
    Cenk leaves the pottery behind and follows toward the torchlight.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Alfonso quickly gathers the pieces of the broken statue the others have left inside the beast's carcass before rushing to join them.
    Third time's the charm.

Grey Paladin on
  • Options
    Muskets at the ready, Hansel moves towards the torchlight.

• Options
    Tiris follows, having reloaded his Musket. "I'm not sure that thing is going to fit in your backpack, Alfonso."