As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm a bridesmaid for a wedding later this year

and I have my own engagement to spend most of my anxiety on

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Really excited about being a bridesmaid, though

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    This is fortuitous timing, as my sister got married on Saturday

Lovely ceremony at the parish we grew up in and a nice reception in a nearby country club

She's younger than me, so I guess I'm the black sheep of the family now? Don't really know how that works

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm about a month away from my first anniversary.

Got married-married by a judge I worked for; my wife left work an hour early, we picked up our best friends, did the courthouse thing for about half an hour, then ate pizza.

Did a big fancy dinner at a hotel the saturday after, with family and friends, 75 guests total. Best meal of my life, had a great time. Afterwards the old people went to bed, the young people hit the bars.

Oh and the lady and I both got engagement rings, split the cost, no diamonds in sight, she kept her name.

Liberal as fuck.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Really excited about being a bridesmaid, though

Aw yeah me too - I have never been one before! Time to wear a pretty dress and boogie on down!!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    HAHAHA! Considering it's all your fault that Ecco and I met, you're damned straight you've gotta come down here.

I have a draft in mind for what I'll say at your wedding, as I have already considered this fact.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The nicest thing about getting married where I did (Colorado) was that it was a common-law state. You could legally be married just by saying you were.
    I went a little bit beyond that, and actually filled out paperwork. But nobody had to preside, and witnesses weren't required.
    Made it very easy to have a small family get-together without having a third party to plan around.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    My fiance and I are getting married in September later this year, and she asked me for a little help creating the save the dates. Despite the years we've been together, I'm not sure that she understands that I cannot create anything that isn't super dorky...

351volz.jpg

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I judged my cousin's invites a little bit for the font choices.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm going to be a maid of honour.

• Options
    I'm sure you'll look lovely in a dress.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    if we get married, I really, really want our wedding song to be Life's a Happy Song from the new Muppets movie

(I would link a video to it but Youtube is blocked at work)

but basically it is these lyrics (especially the bits in bold) that I love:
    Everything is great
    Everything is grand
    I got the whole wide world in the palm of my hand
    Everything is perfect
    It’s falling into place
    I can’t seem to wipe this smile off my face
    Life’s a happy song, when there’s someone by my side to sing along.

When you’re alone, life can be a little rough
    It makes you feel like you’re 3 foot tall
    When it’s just you – well, times can be tough
    When there’s no one there to catch your fall

Everything is great
    Everything is grand
    I got the whole wide world in the palm of my hand
    Everything is perfect
    It’s falling into place
    I can’t seem to wipe this smile off my face

Life smells like a rose
    With someone to paint
    And someone to pose
    Life’s a piece of cake
    With someone to pedal
    And someone to break
    Life is full of glee
    With someone to saw
    And someone to see
    Life’s a happy song, when there’s someone by my side to sing along

I’ve got everything that I need – right in front of me
    Nothing’s stopping me
    Nothing that I can’t be
    With you right here next to me

Life’s a piece of cake
    With someone to give
    And someone to take
    Life’s a piece of pie
    With someone to wash
    And someone to dry
    Life’s an easy road
    With someone beside you to share the load
    Life is full of highs
    With someone to stir
    And someone to fry
    Life’s a leg of lamb
    With someone there to lend a hand
    Life’s a bunch of flowers
    With someone to while away the hours
    Life’s a fillet of fish, eh!
    … Yes, it is

Life’s a happy song, when there’s someone by your side to sing along

Ooooooooooh

Nothing’s stopping me
    Nothing that I can’t be

Nothing’s stopping me
    Nothing that I can’t be

You’ve got everything that you need – right in front of you
    Nothing’s stopping you
    Nothing that you can’t do you
    That the world can throw at you

Life’s a happy song
    When there’s someone by your side to sing
    Life’s a happy song
    When there’s someone by your side to sing
    Life’s a happy song
    When there’s someone by your side to sing along

I just think it would be a super fun and cute song to have at a wedding

plus Blake loves the Muppets, which I think is soooooo adorable

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I mean manly

and tough

(and totally unutterably adorable)

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You're a fillet of fish.

• Options
    Yes, I am!

• Options
    my parents aren't going to pay for either my sister's or my eventual weddings

they said that upfront, for which I'm grateful, so we know where we stand

it does also mean that we will need to be super practical around what we can reasonably do and afford and, most importantly, who could even come :P

• Options
    We just won't invite them then.

Full paying attendees only please.

• Options
    number13 wrote: »

It's actually for a male friend, he asked me to be maid of honour and another friend of ours who is a lady to be the best man.

I told him that I'd be happy to wear the same styled dress that he wears.

• Options
    Yeah, it's pretty sobering how expensive weddings are when you start planning your own. We've gone over budget at least twice since we've started putting it together. You find out just how creative you can really be when you start realizing just how much it costs to pay other people to do that stuff for you. Who knew!

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I bought a ring for my girlfriend on a Wednesday in July, intending to propose in early August. That Friday she woke me up to tell me that we were pregnant. (!) So schedules changed, a bit.

We scheduled an outdoor wedding in late September at a historic mansion, 50-ish people, nothing earth shattering. But she (and I, honestly) were both worried about prenatal care, ultrasounds and such, for the baby. So I tease her - "We should just go find a judge."

She blew my mind when she agreed. That Monday, August 11th, we got married in a judge's office (between cases) with a Bailiff as a witness. We never told anyone and swore to secrecy the one person who knew us and saw us at the court building. Then we had dinner at McDonald's and she went to her job as a bartender. The next day I signed her up for my insurance. Healthy baby get!

We got married again in late September. Just as the music began (my brother on his electronic piano and an amp), BOOM - thunderstorm. We rushed into the hall and had the wedding right there in the middle of the reception tables. Her mom wanted to watch us sign the certificate, but - darn - I sprained my hand the week before and couldn't. Then we road-tripped to Tennessee for a week.

And that's why we are celebrating our first tenth anniversary in August, and our second tenth anniversary in September. We've been joking that we should just get married again, rather than doing this renewal of vows bullshit. The kids know the story and laugh (though my oldest did the math and wasn't as amused).

ultraexactzz on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular

Papyrus?

• Options
    COMIC SANS INVITES

@JAVEN PROPOSE RIGHT NOW SO WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    number13 wrote: »

It's actually for a male friend, he asked me to be maid of honour and another friend of ours who is a lady to be the best man.

I told him that I'd be happy to wear the same styled dress that he wears.

This is excellent. Though made in jest, admit that you didn't at least once seriously consider how awesome you'd rock a dress.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    Oh please.

My legs are amazing.

• Options
  • Options
    Gisele Bundchen, eat your heart out.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So the morning of the wedding, my sister was telling me about when she was walking up the aisle. I was 10 years old at her wedding, which was 15 years ago, so a lot of the details for her day were pretty fuzzy for me.

She told me that walking up the aisle, she remembered looking around the church thinking "This is really cool. There's so many people here for us."

Then she looked at our mother, and she started crying. She told me, very seriously, "Don't look at mom."

All day long I was doing really good. I'd get teary but managed to hold any waterworks back. And my mom and I had joked earlier that if anyone would be crying at the wedding, it would be my dad. But Dad managed to keep me calm, and Sheri kept me laughing before I walked down the aisle.

That's as I'm going down. I'm looking at our guests, and it's amazing. We have so many people there who love us and who are so important to us.

Then I look at my mom. Who has started crying. According to her, she was all smiles till she saw me and it hit her that "Her baby was getting married!"

Two seconds to go from smiling to crying. And I am not a pretty crier. I kept up with the sniffles pretty much all through our ceremony, which was pretty short.

My advice is if you know any family member is going to make you start with the water works, DON'T LOOK AT THEM. Take it from the ugly crier.

Stareosarus on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of having a guy friend as a bridesmaid and walking down the aisle with both my folks.

I will keep that in mind, star!

• Options
    In that second photo, your dad has this look on his face that's like 'welp, so much for that advice'.

That said, you are far from an ugly crier, and that dress is beautiful.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

Papyrus?

Among others! It was maybe going for that different-font typographic look that's gotten really popular.

• Options
    Just hide your moms in the back guys

Problem solved

• Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    In the first photo, my dad is kinda pissed. We had a public venue, and there was a bit of drama with that a few weeks before the wedding that got sorted out. The venue got double booked, but since our booking was in first, the band that was going to be playing got bumped till after our ceremony.

So there were a LOT of people standing around and watching. And there was this long boardwalk up to where @abracadaniel was standing. This kid, who had to be about 12, decided this was an excellent time to jump from the embankment onto the boardwalk. Staring at my dad and I slowly the entire time, over about 30 seconds before finally jumping in front of us.

Pretty sure in that second photo, he's still getting over wanting to push the kid into the water.

And thank you, number! My dress ended up being perfect, and not at all what I went in looking for.

Stareosarus on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Also if you wanna see more of the photos gooooo here! http://catchpolefamily.com/

• Options
    Also if you wanna see some AWESOME ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    YEAH THOSE ARE GOOD TOO

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    At our wedding, Nat and I psyched out the crowd by pretending like we were going to skip the kiss.

Just like a little quick hug and that's it.

Then when everyone looked nice and confused we got back up and om nom nom.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Making the seating chart for family/friends was probably the thing that took the most work out of my whole (minimalist) wedding.

Luckily we got almost universally good comments from the tables we had to mix different groups.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Our first dance was to Jonathan Coulton's Baby Got Back

• Options
    I had suggested Another One Bites the Dust, which I found doubly suitable because my first name is actually Steve.

...For whatever reason, I'm not allowed to make decisions anymore.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My friend's wedding last year featured the DJ for the Carolina Panthers
    the dude sucked

He went around during dinner taking requests and I told him to play Hall and Oates like 5 times and he never did