As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I got Vegas married.
    Then we discovered my wife was pregnant like 2 hours after the wedding.

It turns out that Vegas isn't nearly as much fun when you're pregnant.

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    He was probably desperately waiting for someone to request Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker.

You just nod at him, his eyes brimming with tears. Besides the fight song, it's the only song he knows...

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    In the off-chance some girl is foolish enough marry me I so do not want a DJ or anything of that sort.

I just want dinner and classy beverages.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My friend's wedding last year featured the DJ for the Carolina Panthers
    the dude sucked

He went around during dinner taking requests and I told him to play Hall and Oates like 5 times and he never did

Well I mean maybe 'Maneater' was a bit inappropriate.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My friend's wedding last year featured the DJ for the Carolina Panthers
    the dude sucked

He went around during dinner taking requests and I told him to play Hall and Oates like 5 times and he never did

Well I mean maybe 'Maneater' was a bit inappropriate.

I kept telling him to play this! It was perfect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJoIaXZ0rw

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Also if you wanna see more of the photos gooooo here! http://catchpolefamily.com/

Going to the gallery is making chrome crash on my ipad mini :(

where did you 2 get the custom cake toppers? They're super cute!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I think we have both a DJ and a band, but I'm an awful dancer, so this isn't something I'm particularly focused on. If I do end up dancing, it'll probably end up something like

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/swanson-dance.gif

edit: link'd!

number13 on
    2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hey @number13 you might want to link that giant gif

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    I got Vegas married.
    Then we discovered my wife was pregnant like 2 hours after the wedding.

It turns out that Vegas isn't nearly as much fun when you're pregnant.

That's what my mom half wanted us to do. She loves Vegas for w/e reason.
    Almost got hitched on our cruise, but decided against it

• Options
    Yeah, my parents never had a traditional wedding. They had wedding rings, but it was never official. One day they took a vacation and got married in Vegas. My mom told me afterward and swore me to secrecy, because I guess my dad never wanted me to know for whatever reason. It had only at that very moment occurred to me that I had never, not even once, seen a wedding photo of them. I'm pretty sure I was like 17 when this happened.

It was like finding out I was living in the Matrix or something. My mind was blown.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    My parents' reception was basically a party in their back yard.

My dad always mentions that they just "got a couple of kegs". A couple years ago, now up on beer, I asked him what was in them. He says, "Oh, probably Michelob and Coors or something." He sees the look on my face and says something along the lines of "well, it was the 80's, it isn't like now".

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    My parents' reception was basically a party in their back yard.

My dad always mentions that they just "got a couple of kegs". A couple years ago, now up on beer, I asked him what was in them. He says, "Oh, probably Michelob and Coors or something." He sees the look on my face and says something along the lines of "well, it was the 80's, it isn't like now".

My parents had their wedding and reception in my great-grandfather's backyard too. I saw the photos and it looked tiny, but lovely.

To be honest, if I hadn't married into such a large Singaporean family, I'd have totally gone for a tiny backyard country wedding too.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    my mum's Singaporean and my dad is from Hong Kong and they got married in my grandparents' backyard in Singapore

the reception was a single table at a Chinese restaurant

they were aiming for practical and what they could afford; my grandfather refused to pay a cent for the wedding and my parents didn't want it to be a moneysink ANYWAY, so they just went with something small and intimate

I've always thought that was super cool

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that I have no idea what my parents' wedding was like
    There's like, one picture of the two of them and all I can tell you was that mom was wearing a bigass hat because it was 1985

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    jusssssssssst gonna leave this here

http://www.gemvara.com/b/gemstone-engagement-rings/

(I wasted a lot of time on this yesterday after @Sheri told me about it)

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tradition!

I'm having both my parents walk me down the aisle, as that's the traditional thing in a jewish wedding. We're having a Chuppah (mom's making me a very thin white on white patchwork quilt top with our Initials embroidered/quilted/sewn in the center) and Ecco's going to be doing the glass smashing thing. And another nod to tradition is that for the chuppah, instead of rigging up some ridiculous pole holding devices, we're going to invite 4 of our friends who are not going to be bridesmaids/groomsmen to hold the poles.

It's gonna be super nifty, I think.

We got a puzzle for our guestbook and I'm going to leave out a sharpie and a basket on the table and basically ask people to sign a piece of the puzzle and then put that together and then we'll laminate it, frame it, and hang it up!

We're paying for some of the stuff and my dad gave me money for the rest. But whatever money we don't use from my parents will go straight into our House Savings Fund. So we're cost cutting as much as we can!

I am running into some issues though. One of my bridesmaids and his groomsmen (they are a couple) seem to be under the impression that this is going to be a lot more formal than it is. We were talking about suits for ecco the other night and I'm fine with nice pants and a nice shirt and maybe a waistcoat and the tie that I crocheted him. His buddy is talking like a full on hired suit.

Not quite the idea I had planned. Not for a wedding on the beach. With a barbecue for dinner. Ahwell, I have a little time!

Going to talk over flowers this weekend and do a cupcake tasting! yay cupcakes!

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The best part of my suit for my wedding was this

zT2gZ35.jpg

• Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    skettios wrote: »
    Also if you wanna see more of the photos gooooo here! http://catchpolefamily.com/

Going to the gallery is making chrome crash on my ipad mini :(

where did you 2 get the custom cake toppers? They're super cute!

Here's the blog post from our photographers. They pulled together the best photos anyway. http://www.dillonphoto.com/home/heather-dan-stuart-wedding-photography/

My mom painted our cake toppers for us! I wanted ones like that so bad from Etsy, but they run anywhere from $60 to $120+ on there.

I ordered the boy, girl, and base on Amazon. My mom is already an excellent painter, and she basically did all the work. I painted the base, and I think I may have painted the white for my dress.

There's a tutorial in this book ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0811874508 ) along with a ton of other cute craft ideas.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    One day, when @Gatsby and I finally have enough money, we hope to get married. I think... at least I do. Dunno if he wants to live with me for the rest of my life though!

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Vivixenne

that site. ohmy god that jewelry site.

I think I may have found my wedding jewelry.

Oh. My. God.

But here's a thing. My ring is a citrine, should i match the rest of the jewelry to that? or should I go with blue stones because everything else is blue? I kind of want the citrines but so much shiny ohmygod what am I doing!

@Stareosaurus:: what were those 2 sites you wanted me to put in the OP? i'll try to do that in the morning

• Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    Style Me Pretty
    Once Wed

I also loved the heck out of The Knotty Bride, Brooklyn Bride, and Grey Likes Weddings.

The first two are some of the most popular wedding blogs out there, I think. And Style Me Pretty does have area specific smaller sites. We actually found our photographer through their Florida site.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    When my oldest sister got married there was a lot of stress because there were some assumptions made about certain family members paying for certain things...and then not doing that. I think my father had to write my sister a big check to cover the catering because her new mother-in-law told her during the reception that she couldn't pay for it.

My middle sister was really practical when she got married. She knew that if she did have a wedding she would want everything to be perfect and that translated to expensive. So instead she just did a cookout at her townhouse when she got back from the courthouse with her husband. Then they spent the money on a really nice honeymoon instead.

If I ever do get married I don't really care how I do it. I just know that I'm not going to go into debt because of it.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    My sister got married in my grandma's backyard at 19... Grandma was nice enough to go buy a keg for all the teenagers, haha. Probably the most fun I've ever had at a wedding! But I was 13 and unattended around alcohol, so that might be why.

But my favorite wedding story is the trainwreck wedding my ex's friends had:
    It was originally meant to be just some friends hanging out when they signed the paperwork to make it official so she could live on the Navy base with him and it turned into "well you're only getting the one wedding so we're inviting your whole family". They thrifted their wedding clothes, and the groom wore a white linen robe with nothing underneath, so you know thank god they were getting married in front of a big bay window that let in a ton of light (he was taken aside and sent upstairs to put on sweatpants before the wedding) and the bride had on some kind of super, super short polyester prom dress thing that was also transparent and about a size and a half too small. They wanted to light sparklers on the patio but it was damp and it had snowed recently and they got married barefoot so... they still did it anyway, they were just miserable the whole time. Half of his family was orthodox Jewish so I think they were kind of :| at the whole thing. Reception dinner was chik-fil-a nuggets, which the best man left to go get, accidentally taking all the paperwork with him so the officiant couldn't even sign the paperwork after the wedding; a giant sushi platter, though it turned out a few people were allergic to shellfish; and a whole pig that they tried to pit roast but none of them had any idea how to pit roast so it was more like half raw, mud-covered charred pig. For a wedding reception that was at least 40% orthodox Jews. Other highlights were that most of her family were alcoholics so no alcohol at the reception (which was fine, it was amusing enough already) and her uncle kept "going to check on the car" every 10-15 minutes "just to be sure it's safe" on the very, very upper-middle suburban street we were on. I think that was probably the funniest part, because their house was at the top of a flight and a half of stairs since it was up on a pretty steep hill, and he was parked at the bottom, so we'd be standing outside smoking and he'd walk by us to go down the stairs... stay down there a few minutes... come tramping back up the stairs... stand talking to us for four or five minutes... and then go man I better go check on the car and stomp back down the stairs. Dude we all know you're getting drunk in the car, just bring a damn flask already!

• Options
    Yeah, that's been a big thing for us, too. I mean, hell, we're already in debt with school loans, so why the hell do we want to pile on more debt for our wedding? We've been trying to keep a pretty practical budget. Hell, if it were up to me, the two of us would just elope, but our marriage would only last a little while, because her mother would hunt me down and murder me.

Anyway, here's a picture of the lady's engagement ring! I was actually able to save some money, because the stone is actually a hand-me-down from my mother's original engagement ring that she really wanted us to have. We didn't have to get it re-sized for her either, since I was somehow magically able to guess her correct ring size despite the fact that she has a lot of jewelry but like zero rings that I could draw reference from.

2ahcfbn.jpg

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Getting married was the best decision I ever made.

Wait wait... having a milkshake bar at the reception was the best decision I ever made.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Being married is awesome. Getting married is a giant hassle. I mean the party's fun and all but the planning is the worst.

• Options
    Small weddings are way less stress, unless you factor in the "bitchy distant relative who feels entitled to go and doesn't talk to you to this very day because you didn't invite them even though you didn't even invite your aunts and uncles JESUS CHRIST DELMA GET OVER IT"

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    Small weddings are way less stress, unless you factor in the "bitchy distant relative who feels entitled to go and doesn't talk to you to this very day because you didn't invite them even though you didn't even invite your aunts and uncles JESUS CHRIST DELMA GET OVER IT"

Or the same except it was their children you didn't invite

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    One of my mom's friends did that to me. She's still upset, even though we hadn't talked to each other in a few years and only my mom and my brother were at the actual ceremony? People are crazy.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

This is my only concern for my sister's wedding. Our Nan on my dad's side ran away with another man when my dad was in his teens, leaving my grandad to raise two teenage boys by himself on a steel worker's wage. Grandad remarried a wonderful woman who we all love and we see often still, but its gonna be awkward cause my sister has also invited our biological Nan - the one who ran away. I've not seen her for nearly 10 years because she never visits. I dunno, gonna be weird.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'll have been married for 5 years in June. Sier and I have been dating since high school.

We were very fortunate because our parents ended up paying for most of our wedding costs.

I payed for the venue, at an amazing discount. We had the ceremony at the church we attend during the time I was working there. The senior pastor gave us both the employee discount and the member discount.

Sier's mother is a seamstress and made an amazing dress for her. It was extremely flattering and she looked absolutely gorgeous in it.

The wedding went amazingly well. Although we did forget to properly introduce the bridal party to each other.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    You're supposed to separate the bridal party by a door for a few days, so they get used to each other's scent. Right?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Being married is awesome. Getting married is a giant hassle. I mean the party's fun and all but the planning is the worst.

I'm trying to take an active role in the whole wedding-planning process, because I hear that's what the guy is supposed to do.

So far it just gets me a lot of blank and/or disapproving stares from Mrs-LTM-to-be...

Oh yeah, also, I too am doing this here wedding thing.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    You're supposed to separate the bridal party by a door for a few days, so they get used to each other's scent. Right?

Nah, our way was much more awkward.

• Options
    LTM wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

I'm trying to take an active role in the whole wedding-planning process, because I hear that's what the guy is supposed to do.

So far it just gets me a lot of blank and/or disapproving stares from Mrs-LTM-to-be...

Oh yeah, also, I too am doing this here wedding thing.

There was so much to decide even when we were talking to our wedding planner at the actual venue. You'd have thought I was somewhere else with how quiet I was, though when the food and liquor came up... oh ho ho all of a sudden I had every opinion.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    I avoided most of the decision making and only stepped in if our mothers started to push for something Sier didn't want.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Someone asked for ring pictures?

This is the wedding bands me and the Husband have, there is no engagement ring because LOOK at these lovely motherfuckers:
    CS001-MD256%20black%20diamond%20opal%20onyx%201%20113009_full.jpeg

Though we both love Black Opals fiercely, I was sorely tempted when the maker of these (Hileman Silver Jewelry) also offered almost identicle rings with instead of Opal, DINOSAUR BONE inlay. My inner 6 year old made a very compelling case, but in the end, opal won out.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    My mom insisted on and paid for a dj for my brother's wedding because there can't be a Filipino wedding without dancing. And my brother and sister in law ended up really enjoying it so hooray!

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    I had neither dancing nor alcohol at my wedding.

Yes, my wife's family is Church of Christ! How did you know?!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I want alcohol, dancing, and sexual debauchery at my wedding

the parents aren't likely to come so it's party time

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)