As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    if I could pick any classical music to walk down the aisle to it would be this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGf-hCW2CyM

although the recording I have is full orchestra.

although will more likely do something like this at some point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR_d0LGC8MY

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Theoretically, both me and the boyfriend are engaged, but it's been almost 4 years since he proposed. As much as I'd like to do the fairy tail wedding, I have realized that it would not be feasable. I have very few friends or relatives that I'm close to that would even make up a wedding party, let alone a wedding.

My parents are perfectly okay with me 'eloping', so I may take the 'take a vacation, come back married' route. If I'm really cheap, I might just go to Niagara Falls.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    seriously, though, this will feature somewhere. I don't know where, but maybe like register signing or waiting for the bride to arrive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH1e93SJllE

my favourite piece of orchestral music in the world.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Bill got this interlocking set made;

Rings_zps0f231668.jpg

I love the darn thing. Center stone is ruby, and the jeweler said she can have the band soldered to the engagement ring once the time comes!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Alright looks like the flight alone will probably be like ~$2k.

You better have the Rock Band set up, @lonelyahava

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    where are you flying from?

I seriously suggest talking to a travel agent. So many people just book online these days, that travel agents have to work really hard to make people happy. They'll often get deals from airlines that aren't available to people booking privately and also have he experience to say "wait a week, there's a sale starting"

I am flying from Vancouver to Brisbane, Australia in June, and my travel agent got me a direct flight from Van to Sydney and a connecting flight to Brisbane for like 400 less than ANY flight I could find, including ones with 2 or 3 stopovers in asia

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    where are you flying from?

I seriously suggest talking to a travel agent. So many people just book online these days, that travel agents have to work really hard to make people happy. They'll often get deals from airlines that aren't available to people booking privately and also have he experience to say "wait a week, there's a sale starting"

I am flying from Vancouver to Brisbane, Australia in June, and my travel agent got me a direct flight from Van to Sydney and a connecting flight to Brisbane for like 400 less than ANY flight I could find, including ones with 2 or 3 stopovers in asia

Yeah, just putting things on watch so that I can get an idea of what online fluctuates at.

I usually am flexible on dates so between that and watching I usually get prices about as good as I can expect online.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    the main thing is that you are in Auckland on Dec 1st.

and that you remember your insulin. :P

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Bill got this interlocking set made;

Rings_zps0f231668.jpg

I love the darn thing. Center stone is ruby, and the jeweler said she can have the band soldered to the engagement ring once the time comes!

I *love* that idea! And what a lovely ring, it's gorgeous!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Look, if you're not going to go open bar to provide your guests the entertainment opportunity of an alcoholic coma, the least you could do is provide a diabetic one instead.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    the hardest pill to swallow when thinking about a wedding is that there is no feasible way that all of the people that I'd want there will be able to BE there

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    like, even thinking about which forumers I'd want to invite, I'd have to heartbreakingly exclude some big names

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oh, I don't need to be at the reception.
    Only the wedding night. :winky:

• Options
    gasp

https://www.josephjewelry.com/custom-engagement-rings/100138.php?page=2

maybe not with all the extra bling along the band, but I think a matching wedding band could be made for that super easily

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    like, even thinking about which forumers I'd want to invite, I'd have to heartbreakingly exclude some big names

It's okay...

*sniff*

I'll survive.

:'(

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow that crying smiley is obnoxious.

• Options
    Oh viv.

that ring.

@Fishman:: pffft. if they want to comatize themselves, then they can do so. My party, my rules, dammit!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    is it a thing to send a "we really want to invite you but we really couldn't but here is a link and password to a livestream of the event and also please sign our guestbook online" thing

cuz I would totally do that instead

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    That would be a pretty darn good idea and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to set something like that up.

• Options
    Apparently it's common and acceptable in Dutch culture to send a card notification of a wedding, much like you would do a birth, to people not close enough to make the real guest list.

Or so my Dutch side of the family has informed me.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I would also consider people who wanted to make speeches to make speeches and pre-record them and send them to us and then we could play them during the reception or something.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My bride is walking down the aisle to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhFi23Xbcg

No discussion

Mine will be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5N6_NWtVxY

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I would also consider people who wanted to make speeches to make speeches and pre-record them and send them to us and then we could play them during the reception or something.

*cough*reverend*cough*

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    That would be a pretty darn good idea and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to set something like that up.

You still have what is one of the greatest valentine's day gifts I've ever seen. So, you know...don't beat yourself up too much.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ooh, that would be cool. To add to thisMy sister is going to be having her wedding in the planetarium of an observatory (the Chabot Space and Science Center). I dunno if she's going to actually have a backdrop of stars but if so that would be pretty cool too!
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My bride is walking down the aisle to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhFi23Xbcg

No discussion

Mine will be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5N6_NWtVxY

No joke this is what my wife and I walked out of the ceremony to :)

• Options
    I think I have come up with some things I like and don't like about rings, because I'm a crazy person

things I like
    basket setting
    tension setting
    cathedral setting
    cluster setting
    palladium / tungsten carbide / platinum / 14k white gold / 14k rose gold
    round centre stone
    marquis centre stone

things I don't like
    trellis setting
    halo setting
    bezel setting
    u setting
    ballerina setting
    natural diamonds
    yellow gold
    princess cut centre stone
    heart-shaped stones
    cushion-cut stones
    blue zircon that is not london blue

beyond that, I'd actually have to see the ring itself to know if it was a thing I would like or not

• Options
    Has tension setting improved at all in the last decade? I know it looks nifty as all hell, but back when we got engaged I know that it was generally failing to keep it's shape over years and often ended up getting loose to the point of losing gemstones in the long term banging and bumping that occurs to jewelery attached to your hands.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Fishman wrote: »
    Has tension setting improved at all in the last decade? I know it looks nifty as all hell, but back when we got engaged I know that it was generally failing to keep it's shape over years and often ended up getting loose to the point of losing gemstones in the long term banging and bumping that occurs to jewelery attached to your hands.

I admittedly did not think so until I saw this page:

https://www.josephjewelry.com/engagement-rings?&filter=72

Just from what I'm seeing in those pictures (though admittedly most of the tension setting is in the band rather than in the centre stone), they appear to have gotten the hang of it protecting the gemstone without losing what is so gorgeous about a tension set.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

You still have what is one of the greatest valentine's day gifts I've ever seen. So, you know...don't beat yourself up too much.

They played that during our reception without forewarning.

I hid behind the desserts stand.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

*cough*reverend*cough*

You'd have to do the vows in the voice

• Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    I think I have come up with some things I like and don't like about rings, because I'm a crazy person

things I like
    basket setting
    tension setting
    cathedral setting
    cluster setting
    round centre stone
    marquis centre stone

things I don't like
    trellis setting
    halo setting
    bezel setting
    u setting
    ballerina setting
    natural diamonds
    yellow gold
    heart-shaped stones
    cushion-cut stones

beyond that, I'd actually have to see the ring itself to know if it was a thing I would like or not

That is not crazy because you will be the one wearing it. Dan and I actually picked out my ring together, because he was worried about getting me a ring I didn't like. So I knew for about 6 months that he was proposing and what I was getting, just not when.

I don't know if picking out together is workable for you though! But it guaranteed that I got a ring I love.

And for anyone who doesn't have a matching wedding band for their engagement ring--we ordered our wedding bands on Amazon. We went to the jeweler he got my engagement ring at to try on men's rings. He already knew he liked tungsten carbide rings. In store, they ranged $275-400+ and he didn't like the styles. He got his for less than $40 on Amazon.

On my engagement ring, I have pave side set stones. The matching wedding band in store was more than half the cost of the engagement ring. We said f that, and I found a plain 14k white gold band for about $100 on Amazon. It matches as far as metal, and both rings are 2mm. And I think it looks better than having all that extra sparkle on my hand.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I almost got married once.

Thank god that never happened.

Go about you happiness, in spite of my failure.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've been digging for hints about what my gf likes with regards to rings, and so far I've got, "sparkly, clear, white gold, that swoopy style setting".
    rw0058-100.jpg
    My current front runner. Although first I need to measure her ring finger without her noticing, because I still want to surprise her on holiday.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited April 2013

things I like
    basket setting
    tension setting
    cathedral setting
    cluster setting
    round centre stone
    marquis centre stone

things I don't like
    trellis setting
    halo setting
    bezel setting
    u setting
    ballerina setting
    natural diamonds
    yellow gold
    heart-shaped stones
    cushion-cut stones

That is not crazy because you will be the one wearing it. Dan and I actually picked out my ring together, because he was worried about getting me a ring I didn't like. So I knew for about 6 months that he was proposing and what I was getting, just not when.

I don't know if picking out together is workable for you though! But it guaranteed that I got a ring I love.

And for anyone who doesn't have a matching wedding band for their engagement ring--we ordered our wedding bands on Amazon. We went to the jeweler he got my engagement ring at to try on men's rings. He already knew he liked tungsten carbide rings. In store, they ranged $275-400+ and he didn't like the styles. He got his for less than $40 on Amazon.

On my engagement ring, I have pave side set stones. The matching wedding band in store was more than half the cost of the engagement ring. We said f that, and I found a plain 14k white gold band for about $100 on Amazon. It matches as far as metal, and both rings are 2mm. And I think it looks better than having all that extra sparkle on my hand.

To be honest, I would not mind if Blake and I picked our rings together, to make sure we got something we were both happy with. That is, I get a ring I like, and he gets a ring he likes, and they both happen to match each other.

I would know if he was thinking about proposing because of family culture reasons but I guess where and when could always be a lovely surprise, since he enjoys surprising me.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    I've been digging for hints about what my gf likes with regards to rings, and so far I've got, "sparkly, clear, white gold, that swoopy style setting".
    rw0058-100.jpg
    My current front runner. Although first I need to measure her ring finger without her noticing, because I still want to surprise her on holiday.

this is just a thought, but with bezel settings the gem tends to catch less light because it's surrounded by the metal setting. that means the gem sparkles "less"

that said, the advantage of the bezel setting is that it makes the gem look bigger, and can give a geometric effect to the look of the ring

it is still a lovely choice based on your given hints!

• Options
    Thanks - I'm planning on asking her sister for feedback as well, which has symmetry as I first asked her for help with a secret Santa present back when I only knew my girlfriend as a name I'd picked out of a hat at university :)

• Options
    rw0058-100.jpg

This is obviously an extremely modern design, but perhaps a more classical approach to that idea would be swoopy and sparkly enough?

• Options
    That setting is one that I fell absolutely in love with when I saw it online.

And then I had a chance to try it on.

and I hated it. I looks horribly small on my finger and it was just awful.

But that's for me! It could very well be the most absolutely amazing ring for your lady! And it is still an amazingly stunning setting. My heart still skips a beat to see it. So shiny!

oh engagement stories! Here's ours!

• Options
    That's a beautiful design. I'm a bit reluctant to get a tension setting, though, as my girlfriend both works with her hands and has poor spatial awareness (or is just clumsy), and they always look like they're too delicate.

That website will give me something to browse, though, especially because they give the option of mounting a stone you send them. I have a thing about conflict diamonds, and I've heard suspect things about the Kimberley process, so I'm leaning more and more towards Moissanite to be absolutely sure (I've confirmed with my girlfriend that it doesn't matter what it is as long as it's sparkly).