As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    We had dancing, but no alcohol due to costs. The reception turned out to be a lot of fun.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    The last wedding I went to had a cooler that was filled with Jell-o shots made in the same colors as the wedding theme.

My five-year-old nephew was super confused as to why he was not allowed to have any.

• Options
    ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    we did bottles of wine (from a place that let you return unopened bottles of wine) and three kegs of good beer

no hard liquor but having decent beer on tap seemed to make up for it

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Not about marriage specifically, but OKCupid is accepting bitcoins now

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I am fully planning on having a band for my wedding reception.

Some kind of live music at least, even just a trio or a quartet.

not to play for the whole thing, just for the dancing.

During dinner and stuff - I'll plug in a dang ipod

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Live music at my wedding is a pipe dream for me too (ha)

As is getting married.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my sister had a charity band play at her reception

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    my sister got married at an art hall where one of the pieces was a dirty thong

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    we wanted a band but could absolutely not afford it

ultimately we were really happy with our DJ though, she also helped us plan and coordinate the reception (like when to do what)

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Yeah, this whole wedding is basically a big long list of stuff that I don't know how to afford for. But hey, hopefully this is a one shot deal, right?

And if it's not, and it's your second time around, well... good God. I don't know how you deal with doing this twice.

But yeah, we also (as someone mentioned before) have a photo booth and we're thinking of doing cheap flash drives as part of the favors so people can just plug them in and save whatever pictures they take to take with them afterward. We're thinking the most opportune spot for this is right by the open bar.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    we had polaroid cameras as our guest book, which was a cheapo photobooth at the time

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    number13 wrote: »
    Yeah, this whole wedding is basically a big long list of stuff that I don't know how to afford for. But hey, hopefully this is a one shot deal, right?

I joked to my fiance that I was definitely going to just elope for my second wedding.

She's still my fiance, which is how I know she's a keeper.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    We are getting married next October!

I'm glad we're giving ourselves a lot of time, because if it were this October I would be in full on panic mode right now. There's so much stuff you don't think about that you have to plan!

We're thinking of having about 80-90 guests for the wedding, and I asked my mom to come up with a list of must-haves for our side of the family. The list she sent me was 75 guests long.

No mom, we need to invite some of the groom's family as well

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    My wedding was in an old, makeshift chapel in the country. The place was built by hand with cedar from the surrounding woods. The whole place smelled like cedar. :)

I will never forget walking out that chapel with my new wife. We stopped outside after the doors had closed and before anyone else had walked out. That tiny moment together...

;_; every time

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

I'm glad we're giving ourselves a lot of time, because if it were this October I would be in full on panic mode right now. There's so much stuff you don't think about that you have to plan!

We're thinking of having about 80-90 guests for the wedding, and I asked my mom to come up with a list of must-haves for our side of the family. The list she sent me was 75 guests long.

My only stipulation in this entire thing was a 5-hour open bar. I wouldn't even go to my own wedding if we didn't have one.

• Options
    I'm very Irish, so yeah... an open bar is pretty much a requirement. Stereotypes ahoy.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    My wife and I got married at Disneyland (well, the disneyland hotel, techinically) in the rose court garden. The reception was at the sleeping beauty pavilion.

We were talking the other day about things that we wished we had done differently, and man dancing lessons would have been a good idea. Since, you know, we didn't know how to dance and man what an exciting first dance.

Also wished we had gotten a different DJ - Disney did a lot of the planning and things for us including the DJ, so we didn't really get a chance to pick out a guy that we liked.

On balance though it turned out pretty terrific! We were able to do a photo shoot in front of the castle in the park the next morning too!

protip trying to please both an asian family and a white family is...difficult. For me it was, anyways. Just do what you want, fuck the haters.

• Options
    Yeah, I agree. It'll be great to see all of the family that we don't normally get to see, but I need and want their opinions on what to do for my wedding like I need a hole in the head. Don't like it? Welp, that's a hundred per plate I can save myself.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    With the venue discussion I realized I had an idea:

http://www.calacademy.org/visit/plan_an_event/wedding/

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Someone asked for ring pictures?

This is the wedding bands me and the Husband have, there is no engagement ring because LOOK at these lovely motherfuckers:
    CS001-MD256%20black%20diamond%20opal%20onyx%201%20113009_full.jpeg

Though we both love Black Opals fiercely, I was sorely tempted when the maker of these (Hileman Silver Jewelry) also offered almost identicle rings with instead of Opal, DINOSAUR BONE inlay. My inner 6 year old made a very compelling case, but in the end, opal won out.

holy shit I have looked at exactly that same ring maker in the past; I've favourited a set he's put up on Etsy

are the gems tension-set? that's been a thing I've been curious about

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Someone asked for ring pictures?

This is the wedding bands me and the Husband have, there is no engagement ring because LOOK at these lovely motherfuckers:
    CS001-MD256%20black%20diamond%20opal%20onyx%201%20113009_full.jpeg

Though we both love Black Opals fiercely, I was sorely tempted when the maker of these (Hileman Silver Jewelry) also offered almost identicle rings with instead of Opal, DINOSAUR BONE inlay. My inner 6 year old made a very compelling case, but in the end, opal won out.

holy shit I have looked at exactly that same ring maker in the past; I've favourited a set he's put up on Etsy

are the gems tension-set? that's been a thing I've been curious about

It looks like there's a bit of metal beneath the gems, and I think tension-set is just the gems being held in place by, uh, tension.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife and I were basically the first of our peers to get married, and by sheer coincidence neither of us had ever experienced a 'traditional' wedding of any kind... so neither of us had any idea that 'the first dance' was a thing. Like, at all. We were familiar enough with the rest of the ceremonial trappings, largely through digestion of pop-culture comedies, but the idea that we were supposed to dance, and people were waiting for that? Didn't even register. Late in the evening one of our parents sidled over to us to politely inquire as to if/when it was happening, and was greeted by blank stares.

It's only now that I have a few dozen more weddings under my belt that I even realise that mine missed an apparently crucial part of the trappings for some people. But hey, even if I had known, I would have vetoed it. I only do things I enjoy on my wedding day, and I don't enjoy dancing. As it stands, I didn't miss it, and was too ignorant to even feel guilty about not doing it. Ergo, my wedding was awesome.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't even know it was a thing until reading that post.

We didn't have one at our wedding either.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

My only stipulation in this entire thing was a 5-hour open bar. I wouldn't even go to my own wedding if we didn't have one.

I'll be there!

• Options
    That is to say

I am crashing that party

ALL OF THE SHOTS

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Blake has previously indicated that he would like the bridal party to do the Safety Dance as the first dance

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    this is a ring I have seriously considered thinking about getting:

il_570xN.425182108_nbb2.jpg

cuz then the groom could have a matching ring that wasn't super girly (http://www.etsy.com/shop/jewelrybyjohan?section_id=5626420), and that way I only wear "one" ring but still enjoy having an engagement ring

but then I look around some more and more ideas just keep flooding in

like the rings @skettios and @lonelyahava have

or the rings on Gemvara (they don't have a lot of variation in the setting but I do like playing around with pretty colors)

or tungsten carbide ones

and it all goes out the door

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Someone find me a ring with lots of pretty scrolly stuff in the band, like skettios'

• Options
    edited April 2013
    do you mean filligree or engraved scrollwork?

EDIT:

filligree meaning - http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/pics/final/MTG_C_10046.jpg

engraved scrollwork meaning - http://www.jonesandsonrings.com/tacori/ht2392_lg.jpg

Vivixenne on
  • Options
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    We tinkered a bit with the traditional dances, but it worked out - and it was our call, mostly, so who was going to tell us otherwise?

Our first dance was wonderful. Then, rather than a mother son dance (since my mom had passed away), I danced with her mom and she danced with my dad. Then her dad got up to do the father daughter dance and someone tripped over the cord to the amps and killed the music. He said "Welp, that takes care of that" and went to get a beer. She laughed it off and made the DJ (one of my fraternity brothers) play her favorite dance song.

To this day, I'm convinced they planned it that way.

• Options
    I like both of those, Viv

Like, for reals

Though the filigree example is probably my favorite

• Options
    Traditional shit be damned

I want a mother-daughter dance

Also I asked my mom to walk me down the aisle but she said my dad might be hurt by that

So maybe she'll be my maid/matron of honor or something

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Sheri, just have both your parents walk with you!

and I strongly strongly considered having my mom be my matron of honour. But her being on the other side of the world kind of quashed that idea. :(

So instead I think I'm getting 2 hen's nights. One with the girls and then like an afternoon tea with my 2 bridesmaids and my mommy. because I love my mommy.

And yeah, screw tradition. And formality. dammit. I am going to have FUN at my wedding. And for me, fun does not include a lot of alcohol (hence the BYO), and dancing (eh... I am not interested in dancing). We'll have music, but more than likely going to be mostly swing, big bands, and good stuff like that.

I'm even toying with the idea of setting up Rock Band in the venue, but I'm not sure on that. I want to have a party, not a reception. If that makes any sense.

Of course trying to get that idea across to my friends is proving rather... difficult. They're talking about hiring suits and all kinds of formal things and Its just... ugh. no. stop. this is not going to be as formal as you think/want. If you want a formal wedding, then you two get married.

dammit.

• Options
    of all of those, I like the very first one you posted (a few posts up) best, Viv

• Options

Cute!

As if they could stand to be anywhere near each other

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Rachel and I had such a nontraditional and cheap wedding

And that's pretty much how we wanted it

We probably would have had an even cheaper one if my and her parents hadn't insisted on having some kind of thing

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

Cute!

As if they could stand to be anywhere near each other

hmmm

a good point.

I'm of two mind on that one. First, tell them to grow the hell up and be adults its your wedding, dammit. Second mind, keep the peace keep the peace keep the peace. the less stress on your wedding day the best for you!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blake has previously indicated that he would like the bridal party to do the Safety Dance as the first dance

Yeah so we can dance if we want to.
    We can leave your friends behind.
    Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance well they're no friends of mine.