As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soul Sacrifice] - Out now in stores and on PSN!

• Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    Sorry you guys arnt enjoying it. I absolutely dig the style though, having my own "necronomicon" to help me gain real ultimate power? yes please. Also the idea of using the dark powers and having it give you a permanent debuff is interesting. I never played any of the monster hunters so I dunno how it stacks up against them, but you can target specific parts of some monsters which is supposed to net you items sometime. Does anyone know what triggers the Martyr rewards?

"Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I have dragons dogma dark arisen coming ina week so I'll have that 'hot specific area for significant damage' fix :p

I loved the art, the book was fantastic and the history amazing but the gameplay itself is just not for me
    once it is cheap.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    What's funny is that it not being like monster hunter is the whole reason I like the game.

When it takes longer to prepare for a fight than it does to kill the boss(but the boss battles are still obscenely long), that's a turn off for me.

I will say I was hoping for more open-worldage though, rather than mission-selecty.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm really glad I was able to try it first instead of drop $40 on it.

But that's probably not the reaction the devs/publisher were looking for, haha.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Yeah it's definitely not Monster Hunter, which is a little disappointing.

A lot more like Gods Eater.

But the gameplay is still fun and the story and aesthetics are good so far, so I'll definitely be picking it up regardless.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I didn't think I would miss the looking around, traveling from "room" to "room", but I guess I do. It's a a big part of the pacing of MH that I like so much.

That's not to say that I think Soul Sacrifice is bad for not having that. It shouldn't be more like MH or anything like that.

• Options
    Well damn, I didn't mean to shut down conversation on this.

Get back to discussing souls and the sacrificing thereof!

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get all the spells in the demo but the Jack O'Lantern guy in the more difficult section of the book refuses to drop the Lava Amulet. Are there conditional drops in this game? I've brought him down 5 or 6 times and not a single drop but the summary says it's one of the spells. I'm trying to boost my score since it score seems to impact how many spells you get but I'm at about 310 points with no way to get much higher.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Guys, I have a severe lack of Vita.
    I want this game because it looks so glorious. I've bought myself a PSP exactly for the purpose of Monster Hunter.
    I understand it's not like Monster Hunter, however one of you mentioned that it's more like Gods Eater Burst. I devoured that game (pun deliciously intended) and it was Monster Hunter for me. magic, hunting, killing things, upgrading stuff, I want this so bad!

What's the Vita going for nowadays? I must give my wife a birthday gift request :P

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    This game is surprisingly fun. I quite like that it's faster paced than what little I've seen of monster hunter to get to the actual boss, but that's an aquired taste I guess. There are lot of things I don't quite get though, mostly related to drops and such, and how to exactly punch weak points.

Was on the fence, but the demo sold me on it.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm trying to get all the spells in the demo but the Jack O'Lantern guy in the more difficult section of the book refuses to drop the Lava Amulet. Are there conditional drops in this game? I've brought him down 5 or 6 times and not a single drop but the summary says it's one of the spells. I'm trying to boost my score since it score seems to impact how many spells you get but I'm at about 310 points with no way to get much higher.

It's part luck, part score - mostly score.

These are mostly off the top of my head(I'm probably missing a few), but you primarily get score bonuses from the following(all of these are once per battle unless otherwise noted):
    Activating eye of the magi
    Speed("Godspeed" being the highest rank I believe)
    First Attack(getting the first hit of the mission on an enemy before an enemy hits you)
    Damage taken(no hits taken granting the most points)
    Hitting a minor enemy weakness
    Hitting a boss's weakness
    Hitting a boss's cursed part
    Destroying a boss's cursed part
    Destroying all of a boss's cursed parts.
    Freezing a boss(ice attacks)
    Setting a boss on fire(fire attacks, derp)
    Petrifying a boss(Stone attacks)
    Paralyzing a boss(lightning attacks)
    Poisoning a boss(venom attacks)
    Countering a minor enemy's attack(hit them hard enough to stun them mid-attack)
    Countering three minor enemy attacks
    Mass sacrifice(sacrifice multiple enemies in a row, repeatable)
    Mass salvation(save multiple enemies in a row, repeatable)
    Performing a Black Rite(also grants additional offering rewards at the end)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Cerberus is weak to Earth, but I think the only Earth offering in the demo is that rising fist one.

Following up on this, defeating the Sortiara mission with Divine Sorcerer rank yields an Earth element axe offering.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Suggestions on how to get the imp pitchfork in Chapter 4?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the game. I love the aesthetic, the dark seam of power corrupts that is always well worn in Japanese popular culture but for me at least has yet to become stale. I prefer having a narrative really. And the dark history of say the nunnery/temple is quite heart wrenching.

Combat is snappy and the demo has an interesting selection of spells
    including ground homing, air homing, fast weapons, slow weapons, golems, group and single heals, defensive shields, defensive armours.

Other rock weapons include a rock golem that some people are making out crafting in the demo.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Suggestions on how to get the imp pitchfork in Chapter 4?

Do all of the things to get you bonus points. Use ice on them, break as many cursed parts as possible, kill the small enemies with the element they are weak to, etc. Seems +Donnicton is right, it's purely score based. Get over 400 to get the last item listed in the drops.

• Options
    Bastable wrote: »
    Other rock weapons include a rock golem that some people are making out crafting in the demo.

You can use Iron Pinwheels to knock the birds out of the sky and then use a melee weapon to finish them off.

Easiest way to clear it quickly though is to manipulate the behavior of the birds. Their lore provides some hints on that.
    Kill an Orc around them, they will immediately forget your existence and land to try to snarf on the dying cat.

• Options
    It appears (Tri) branching ground spells only have their range affected by charging, not damage. So an instant smack right into an enemy's face is actually better than a long-distance charged attack, because all three will hit.

It also increases cumulative effects - i.e. a couple of (Tri) spells in a boss's face will freeze/burn/paralyze it more readily than any other type of elemental spell.

It seems the consensus is that the +Freeze chance glyph that you can apply on your arm makes a close range Snowtree Root (Tri) incredibly effective at stunning bosses, even bosses that are resistant to ice(Cerberus).

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »

You can use Iron Pinwheels to knock the birds out of the sky and then use a melee weapon to finish them off.

Easiest way to clear it quickly though is to manipulate the behavior of the birds. Their lore provides some hints on that.
    Kill an Orc around them, they will immediately forget your existence and land to try to snarf on the dying cat.
    Yeah I figured out that killing the cats first attracted the boids.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes finally beat the Cerberus, Ok ok a chap named Yuki beat the Cerberus but I was hosting and my call to sacrifice myself helped I'm sure.

VICTORY THROUGH DEATH!

I now have the drop to make a Incohat Gholem that smacks things for 200 damage, nice we'll use it on the next run dellboy.

I also found out holding x makes you run . . . Video Game logic it makes sense but I seem to have not tried it till the 10th time trying to kill the damn dog/s.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm still not sure what triggers the Martyr's Offerings. I ended up getting the Imp Pitchfork, which wasn't even listed as a reward for the Harpy fight. Coincidentally one of the bot helpers was equipped with it, so perhaps there is a chance you can get offerings from them as well? Ahhh shit n/m, I also happened to use a dark art for that battle so maybe that was it then?

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Cerberus is fucking hard. I guess I need to level up a few offerings to get more charges in them for him or something. Keep running out of charges before he dies.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I kinda wonder how representative the demo is of the final game. I've always been wary ever since brutal legend essentially billed itself as a brawler and kept the stage battles out of the demo.

--what's the ratio of story based missions to generic hunts?

--how deep does the offering crafting go?

--is 95% of the game in the book, with just the final boss taking place outside in the present? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the bad sorcerer guy is just the tip of the iceberg.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    While not really helpful, you can crawl around your cage and even smash the bugs in there.

• Options
    I kinda wonder how representative the demo is of the final game. I've always been wary ever since brutal legend essentially billed itself as a brawler and kept the stage battles out of the demo.

--what's the ratio of story based missions to generic hunts?

--how deep does the offering crafting go?

--is 95% of the game in the book, with just the final boss taking place outside in the present? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the bad sorcerer guy is just the tip of the iceberg.

crafting seems pretty comprehensive

You'll need to use google translate.

Also a incomplete listing of spells.
    https://sites.google.com/site/soulsacrificeguide/spells

There's
    weapons
    arms
    roars
    gloom
    homing
    projectile
    armour
    shield
    healing

arm is multiplied by elements and what looks to be 4 levels of power so there are 4 earth arms and 4 fire arms.

projectiles 4 elements and 3 levels of power.

Book seems to be six chapters including the prologue/tutorial chapter we are playing in the demo

• Options
    I actually beat Cerberus online last night as well! I ended up calling for them to sacrifice me so I don't think I got the Soul Essence but at least I got a Timesand out of it. I really like that you get to run around in spirit form after you die and help the group. I timed the defense lowering with people using the Inferno skin sacrifice and it did major damage. I'm running out of things to do now except grinding Cerberus but he's so tough and groups are hit-and-miss.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Supposedly everything is a lot easier solo. Even AI allies raise the health of bosses, so it might be better to go completely alone.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Really now?

Not sure that helps on cerberus, his pattern seemed to make it really hard to get attacks in if you are the person he is focusing. Definitively helps for others though, would make a speedkill on the second harpy way easier.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Really now?

Not sure that helps on cerberus, his pattern seemed to make it really hard to get attacks in if you are the person he is focusing. Definitively helps for others though, would make a speedkill on the second harpy way easier.

That's the point. You ideally bring someone in who his holy-focused and use Monsternip to keep the boss's attention on that person as much as possible.
    malkoth wrote: »
    I'm still not sure what triggers the Martyr's Offerings. I ended up getting the Imp Pitchfork, which wasn't even listed as a reward for the Harpy fight. Coincidentally one of the bot helpers was equipped with it, so perhaps there is a chance you can get offerings from them as well? Ahhh shit n/m, I also happened to use a dark art for that battle so maybe that was it then?

Using a Black Rite or being sacrificed by another Sorcerer will give you a Martyr's offering.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeesh. Not a fan, at all. Between the silly tone and the super delayed feeling of any input to attack, I'm having no fun with the demo. Gonna give it a bit longer, cause I'm sure I'm missing something here. But so far, nope, not feeling it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    "Silly"... maybe you might want to clarify a bit.

I'm not sure where you're getting super-delayed either, what exactly are you trying to do or use? Different attack types have completely different mechanics.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The voice acting is real bad, to be kind. The visuals and aesthetic are gothic n' dark, but the dialogue and especially the fact that the sidekick book is a wisecracking sarcastic cockney. Book. The game seems "serious" until someone starts talking. So I don't like the tone!

And the gameplay is just eh. This is one of those instances where an infographic would be much appreciated. I have no idea what the fuck each of the spells does, but that's cool, I'll just experiment with em right? Except then there's no feedback to lemme know if what I'm doing is having an effect, like I have no indication if each is useful for specific enemies or what. For example, I figured the one that puts up a stone wall is a defense thing, so I whipped it out when a big hit was incoming. No effect, got hit. And everything just feels so delayed, I push a button to do the big punchy fist spell and I'll maybe hit a guy with it possibly, if I'm lucky, 3 or 4 seconds later.

I don't know what I was expecting, I went into it mostly blind apart from the promising concept art and gross spell info, so it's not like I'm disappointed or it's not delivered on something. It just feels unpleasant to play, like those early PS2 era games where it just didn't come together right.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    For melee offerings you have to use the offering first to "equip" the weapon, I guess that might account for it if you somehow hadn't noticed that?

Aside from that some offerings have very snappy casts (Tri roots for example) and others have slower animations fitting with their greater power (Rising offerings)

• Options
    Alot of it is timing, the fist offerings are a little slower than say the melee weapons. Knowing when the enemy is going to be stationary enough to use the charge attacks, etc... Im not sure how the shields work either, you can attack with them but then they just break...

• Options
    Shields are primarily effective against the element weak to them.

Hence, Ice shield will block every attack from Jack O Lantern, while it is far less likely to be effective in blocking Harpy or Cerberus. (Where Fire and Earth shield, respectively, would be better)

• Options
    The game will have dual audio, so you can change it to Japanese if you don't like the voice acting. I actually like the book's voice, so this may be one of the few dual audio games where I don't switch to to Japanese.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Shields are primarily effective against the element weak to them.

Hence, Ice shield will block every attack from Jack O Lantern, while it is far less likely to be effective in blocking Harpy or Cerberus. (Where Fire and Earth shield, respectively, would be better)

Well, you can also use it to take advantage of a combo attack based on the element. I.e. if you freeze Jack O Lantern and then tap him with the thunder shield, it causes an elemental detonation and he goes flying.

For the most part, shields are meant to block projectiles and charges moreso than, say, an earthquake or that rising fire attack Jack O Lantern uses. I.e. shields are especially effective against Jack O Lantern and Cerberus' charge attacks as it knocks them back and stuns them for a few seconds(with diminishing returns based on their health - they get up more quickly at lower health)

But this is up to a point. There's a certain level of force that the enemy can apply to instead just push you to the side - for Harpy you're better off learning her patterns than trying to block, as her attacks(especially the flying dives) hit with so much force that you are simply pushed off to the side(and sometimes hit from behind). Cerberus has a point in his charge where he gains enough momentum to pass over you instead of getting knocked back, sometimes resulting in him spinning around and hitting you from behind.

• Options
    Oh and there is a 36-page digital manual if you look in the same place you can find all of the digital manuals for vita games.

• Options
    Weakness seems to be Fire<Ice<Electricity<Rock<Posion<Fire

So Orc's/evil cats have posion damage attacks (the posion hairballs) so they're weak to fire, same with Harpy

Cerberus does electricity special attacks so weak to rock/ground.

It seems you can also get bonus damage for say lighting a orc/evil cat on fire and then hitting it with a iceweapon/attack.

So if you have the co ordination petrfying the Cerberus with rock attacks and then hitting it with pision should increase your damage. i have not tried this on the Cerberus as that battle tends to be a bit hectic.

• Options
    It's unlikely that you'll ever get that opportunity with cerberus with what's available in the demo, but yes you can do that - in fact, you get bonus points for doing that vs bosses. A common tactic is to load up with fire weapons on harpy, ignite her and then detonate with an ice attack.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Supposedly everything is a lot easier solo. Even AI allies raise the health of bosses, so it might be better to go completely alone.

AI allies have a habit of knocking me the fuck down mid charge.

Oh you're standing next to a stunned enemy, charging up a powerful attack? Yeah guess I should do an AOE attack on him!

The_Spaniard on
  • Options

AI allies have a habit of knocking me the fuck down mid charge.

Oh you're standing next to a stunned enemy, charging up a powerful attack? Yeah guess I should do an AOE attack on him!

This happens with random humans too ;)