Options

[Soul Sacrifice] - Out now in stores and on PSN!

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Yep, reporting in with my fondness of the game. It is massive. The story is actually intriguing. There are SO many spells!

I actually had to redo a few fights because I messed up or brought terrible Offerings. The offerings you get from PSN or preorder are pretty good too.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    The demo was good but I got kinda confused with the offering system. Is there a place to read up more on how they work (upgrades, uses, etc.)?

I have the retail game, haven't loaded it up yet. My PSN is also ringswraith if anyone wants to (at some point) group up for stuff.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Got two copies of this yesterday. One for me and one for the girlfriends son so we can get our co-op on. Did not even open them though... damn you league of legends patch for being soo good. Looking forward to breaking the seal tonight.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Ugh, still not up on the EU PSN as far as I can see, I wanna get cracking on the full game <<.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I spent most of my night just doing random Quick Join network groups. Now that I've checked off some of those missions I'll have to start paying attention to which I'm playing. Still, its so addictive just to do any random fights.

The story keeps surprising me. I did the first Sorcerer section and was pleasantly surprised with it after I really didn't like it in the first couple bits. I only made a little dent in the real story mode, but after loving the first chapter so much, I hope it holds up.

SightTDW if anyone wants to get online. i'll add the ones I've missed from the thread when I get home.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    Got around to downloading the full version tonight. I'm glad they decided to offer the pre-order bonuses to people buying it from PSN because it hadn't even occurred to me that there would be, and my inner completionist would of been upset.

Had a minor heart palpation when I did my first Quick Join group. Up against this massive slime in the desert. I was going for a Holy build and we ended up sacrificing him... watched my Chaos jump three levels. Then I did some poking around in my character profile and realized I'd eventually be able to de-level that. Phew.

• Options
    Oh man, the game seems huge. Just poked around with the first batch of avalon pacts so far, and that has taken some time. Managed to kill the wyvern blind by saccing a teammate and using infernus, and then I didn't have enough lacrima to remove the defense debuff.

The centaur is hard with half defense ;_;.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    just obliterated the elven queen. kind of feel bad for her now.

the spells really get more and more interesting/neat looking as you go. have one that lets me do an air dash/charge towards an enemy now which is pretty nice. can be chained for as many casts as I have.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    This may have bee immediately obvious to everyone but I just realized something: When you walk over a dead monster, it sometimes says something different like "Good soul of rat" or "black soul of rat". If you sacrifice a black soul, those are the SE+ and SE++, likewise on Saving the good souls for LE++. It also gives you more Magic/Divine for the appropriate type.

Funny thing is, this is right up on screen and I've completely ignored it for 20 hours of gameplay.

• Options
    Oh, so those things actually matter. I was wondering why it said some souls had properties!

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    just obliterated the elven queen. kind of feel bad for her now.

the spells really get more and more interesting/neat looking as you go. have one that lets me do an air dash/charge towards an enemy now which is pretty nice. can be chained for as many casts as I have.

Those charge moves are pretty much how I speed kill Jack o Lanterns now.

Ice falcon repeatedly til frozen, lightning fulgor root. Find dead things to sac, repeat.

I have a tri ice on standby as well, but only use it when I dont feel like looking for things to sac. Because some of these lantern quests have really good divine sorcerer rewards so I've farmed them a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Hmm, so I didn't realize you could preorder this on PSN, and my Vita's at my GF's place. Is it still possible to get the DLC on PSN, and if so, how long do I have to get it?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    O man, Multiplayer killed a Kraken. I now have a ice spell that sends giant tentacles underground to spear things and freeze them. I love you Japan.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Giant tentacles are my favorite current favorite ice spell. I just wish they had a little more ammo in 'em. Also, mortars are my favorite everything.

There has hardly been a spell that I haven't enjoyed using in some context. At worse I didn't like using one, but realized where it could be handy. I'm just not fond of summoning spells like the one for having a demo file, or any of the exploding plant thingies.

Really though, the story in this game is just icing. I wasn't expecting there to even be a story mode; especially not one so good. If this multiplayer was the entire game it still would have entirely justified the price. I wish I enjoyed Monster Hunter half as much as I'm enjoying this.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    I'm still not sure how to use the beast spray spell things. But I'm sure there is somewhere they are useful.

The dash attacks are the best so far, but don't have giant tentacles yet.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I'm kind of confused by this game, though I'm still enjoying it. I don't really have any strategy for it yet. I just use a spell and attack till things are dead. I'm not really sure how the sheilds are useful, since you don't seem to be able to attack while you have one.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    greeble wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused by this game, though I'm still enjoying it. I don't really have any strategy for it yet. I just use a spell and attack till things are dead. I'm not really sure how the sheilds are useful, since you don't seem to be able to attack while you have one.

That strategy works just fine if you are just trying to kill stuff. To really succeed in the game you want to get enough points to get Divine Sorcerer rating at the end, which requires a more refined strategy (ie - freezing with ice then chaining into volt to get Skillful Attack bonus, hitting the trash enemies at the right time for a Counter, finding vulnerabilities, breaking cursed parts of bosses, not getting hit, doing it fast, etc).

Shields are useful because they stop big attacks, particularly from bosses who charge at you. If a boss seems to be coming at you quickly, grab a shield next time. They'll hit the wall and flop down leaving them wide open to a severe face smashing.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Do you want to use a shield that's the same element as what's attacking you, or the element the boss is weak against?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    What it is weak against is most effective as you get bonus damage. So fighting a fire Jack o lantern use a ice shield.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Well, I think with a jackolantern I'd just burn it down with ice mines/ fists/explosives in less than a minute.

I might use a shield though for some of the heavy hitters I've been fighting that don't have elemental weaknesses, though I guess in that case it wouldn't matter which shield I used.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to mix/match Saving and Sacrificing? Or is it more beneficial to go straight down one path? Because I have been sacrificing all of the things.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Wait wait wait. You can chain elements?

That is so cool.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, in an immediate sense, going heavy one way or the other will result in you being a glass cannon or a stone wall for sacrifice and save respectively. Sacing a lot will also refill your offerings constantly midmission, while saving will fill your health.

There's also branching paths both in Avalon and the story depending on saccing/saving archfiends.

In the long run you'll recruit less AI allies if you sac everything.

Finally your access to different sigils depends on whether you've sacced or saved certain enemies. You unlock the next tier for that sigil if your arm is good or evil enough. Blue sigils are healing/def oriented, red offense, balance is kind of a mix.

You have to go 99/1 or 1/99 to unlock the highest possible forms of divine or chaos, though that will put you at the extreme ends of all defense or all offense.

I've heard the more practical, normal way of doing it would be something like 75 one way 25 the other.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Carnotux's story did not go where I was expecting.

Loving the narrative style of the game so much.

• Options
    Yeah, it's good stuff. I'm going to be on in an hour or two if anyone wants to do some pacts. This goes for just about anytime you see me on though, just send me a message.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Oh man Frei and I, I managed to get us both killed with a fire golum trapping us amongst the last 2 jack o lanterns. Funny and stupid :( Might have been over confident as we utterly destroyed the harpy and the flesh thingy. harpy we managed to chop both her wings off and her face, so that was a bit gushy.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So. Where do digital buyers get the 'pre-order' bonuses? In an e-mail? Because I haven't received one.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So. Where do digital buyers get the 'pre-order' bonuses? In an e-mail? Because I haven't received one.
    paddlers menu, click on receive gifts and they down load.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote: »
    paddlers menu, click on receive gifts and they down load.

Ah, I see. They're in the services list. Thanks.
    I haven't had time to get into the game yet. Hoping to this weekend.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    oh and i think once you finish the quests for the allies you can equip your arm with their sigil, which transforms the appearance of your arm. so yes, you too can have carnatuxs' bloated, gold arm.

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Oh man Frei and I, I managed to get us both killed with a fire golum trapping us amongst the last 2 jack o lanterns. Funny and stupid :( Might have been over confident as we utterly destroyed the harpy and the flesh thingy. harpy we managed to chop both her wings off and her face, so that was a bit gushy.

haha yeah it was funny how quickly it ended for us after getting stuck on your golem. had a lot of fun, though. we completely tore that harpy apart, she was a limping, gushing mess before we were done with her.

I didnt really have access to any stronger monsters, but hopefully I should next time. I'm just now getting access to quests that provide stronger spells.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So uhh, why can't you pause in a portable game? I mean I just sleep the system when I need to, but why does the game not pause when you press the start or select buttons?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Presumably because they didn't bother to add a pause button into single player, and the game is primarily a multiplayer affair.

Not really an excuse, but a probable explanation anyway. MH Portable's pause button was pretty out of the way also.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Presumably because they didn't bother to add a pause button into single player, and the game is primarily a multiplayer affair.

Not really an excuse, but a probable explanation anyway. MH Portable's pause button was pretty out of the way also.
    Except they even have what is essentially a pause button, it just doesn't pause. If you bring up the menu screen the game is still playing in the background. Really no reason for that not to pause the game, this considering it is specifically a portable game designed to be played in quick bursts.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Except in multiplayer that screen should obviously not pause the game.

Like I said, they probably just didn't bother to differentiate the function of that menu for single player to pause it.

• Options
    Yeah, if I need to pause in Single Player I just use the PS button. I agree it's weird that there's no pause but they probably did it so you don't get used to it when most of the game is presumably multiplayer.

• Options
    pretty weird thing to care enough to complain about given the PS button pauses and it resumes immediately with one touch, which is exactly what a pause button would do.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Has anyone figured out how to unlock the bottom 2 quests in each Avalon Pact (Innocence, Desire, etc). Mine are blacked out and there are arrows pointing at things I don't understand. I assume it has something to do with Saving instead of sacrificing?

• Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Has anyone figured out how to unlock the bottom 2 quests in each Avalon Pact (Innocence, Desire, etc). Mine are blacked out and there are arrows pointing at things I don't understand. I assume it has something to do with Saving instead of sacrificing?

It's a branch, so Innocence for example it's based on if you saved or sacrificed the harpy. Then you get follow ups based on that choice.

• Options
    Frei wrote: »

haha yeah it was funny how quickly it ended for us after getting stuck on your golem. had a lot of fun, though. we completely tore that harpy apart, she was a limping, gushing mess before we were done with her.

I didnt really have access to any stronger monsters, but hopefully I should next time. I'm just now getting access to quests that provide stronger spells.

I am down for that.