As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SchlitzKrieg 2013 Beer Tour [Photos and Wrapup]

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Serenity wrote: »
    We could totally do a beer swap, but I recommend strongly against having it during or after the tour because trust me, Y'ALL GONNA BE SO SICK OF BEER.

We could do a swap before hand or... personally, I think it would be really kickass to do a beer swap not affiliated with the SK during PAX somewhere in the area of the Con but not in it. There will be more beer nerds available for trading, and it would be a great way to spread the beer lovin.

Idea: you could Post it to the PAX Without PAX thread, or start a new thread.

I approve of this...
    I could possibly host this in my hotel room if it were to happen on the Wednesday or Thursday.

OUTSTANDING Idea. I think you should get right on that. :^:

I was working on a post to get this started but haven't had time to finish it. If someone else wanted to post I would not be too upset.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I am very down for this in theory, but would certainly prefer to take as little time out of PAX proper as possible. Perhaps a fairly brief noon-early evening romp?

• Options
    Hell_MelHell_Mel Registered User regular
    The Kitsap breweries each usually have a house-made soda on tap. The Thomas Kemper Root Beer factory used to be out in that area and most of the brewers were involved there at some point.

As for the rest of the Seattle breweries, it's probably hit or miss...

Thanks! I had figured that one would be most likely for me anyway. Worst Case with those I guess is I have something tasty at every other stop to avoid killing myself by ordering something hard at every stop.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I am very down for this in theory, but would certainly prefer to take as little time out of PAX proper as possible. Perhaps a fairly brief noon-early evening romp?

The brewery map link is also posted in the OP, so if you don't want to do a long tour (Long tour is this event's schtick) you can always grab a couple of folks and make up a tour of your own!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    After the first week of the poll, the voting tallies stand as such:

Sun 9/1...18v
    Thu 8/29...15v
    Mon 9/2...15v
    Fri 8/30...14v
    Sat 8/31...14v
    Tue 9/3...8v
    Wed 8/28...5v
    Tue 8/27...2v
    Wed 9/4...2v

Kitsap...20v
    Ballard-Walk...20v
    N Seattle...15v
    *Ballard-Cycle...10v
    Georgetown...10v
    *I-90...8v
    EastSide...5v

Keep in mind that a Thursday tour has a very high chance of being a short walking tour of Ballard, possibly self-guided.

* = Highly Recommended. Coordinator Sad face for lack of interest.

• Options
    hexx462hexx462 Registered User regular
    I'm so on board for this, as a craft beer nerd that lives in the area I'm ashamed to admit I've never done a brewery tour. This would be a great to make up for that.

• Options
    hexx462 wrote: »
    I'm so on board for this, as a craft beer nerd that lives in the area I'm ashamed to admit I've never done a brewery tour. This would be a great to make up for that.

That's okay, I never have either. :P

• Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I personally found the peninsula to be one of the coolest places I've ever been.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    I personally found the peninsula to be one of the coolest places I've ever been.
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Kitsap is where it's at. It's a shitty, shitty place to live but for a beer tour? Awesome.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @LexiconGrrl

Lexi, thanks for organizing again. The krieg was one of my favorite parts of Pax last year, and I hope to join you again this year, though if my space goes to someone from outside Seattle, I won't feel too bad, as I coulda visit these places anytime (just not with the same crowd).

If you do split it into two, maybe do one crowd pleaser (the vote winner) and one of your own choice, to expose people to the awesome things they don't even know about. I'm sure you'll get enough joiners to fill both.

SquirrelOnFire on
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Yeah you seem quite naive when it comes to this topic :P

hexx462 on
  • Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I imagine I'll be on at least one of these tours. Hopefully could fit more in, depending on the timings, if there is a short one on Tuesday, I could just do that then roll onto the train :rotate:

• Options
    DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    i might be interested in the thursday tour. depends on schedules.

• Options

No, really. I looked into a couple of the local brewery tours and didn't like what I found. So I decided to make a better tour that actually sounded interesting and invite along all of my PAX buddies!

• Options
    edited May 2013

No, really. I looked into a couple of the local brewery tours and didn't like what I found. So I decided to make a better tour that actually sounded interesting and invite along all of my PAX buddies!

I erm meant a "tour of breweries" not a literal brewery tour, I deal with manufacturing daily it's not all that exciting, I want to drink beer not watch it get made :P

hexx462 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I erm meant a "tour of breweries" not a literal brewery tour, I deal with manufacturing daily it's not all that exciting, I want to drink beer not watch it get made :P

Yeah, that's what I meant. There are a couple of local companies that offer "tours of breweries" (aka Brewey Tours) but stick only to the big name breweries, only do a couple per tour, stay in the city core, and the tours are really expensive. Meh.

I thought a better, more varied tour would be more fun and interesting. Like a beer fest on wheels where you get to try lots of variety and check out new brews you haven't had before, and see some if the gorgeous area outside of the city.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Schlitzkrieg is a unique kind of awesome, that's for sure!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options

Yeah, that's what I meant. There are a couple of local companies that offer "tours of breweries" (aka Brewey Tours) but stick only to the big name breweries, only do a couple per tour, stay in the city core, and the tours are really expensive. Meh.

I thought a better, more varied tour would be more fun and interesting. Like a beer fest on wheels where you get to try lots of variety and check out new brews you haven't had before, and see some if the gorgeous area outside of the city.

No need to keep pitching it, I totally get it and am really jazzed about it.

• Options

No need to keep pitching it, I totally get it and am really jazzed about it.

Well, since you seemed to misunderstand the point of the event, it seemed like the responsible thing to break it down for you in detail.

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote: »
    We could totally do a beer swap, but I recommend strongly against having it during or after the tour because trust me, Y'ALL GONNA BE SO SICK OF BEER.

We could do a swap before hand or... personally, I think it would be really kickass to do a beer swap not affiliated with the SK during PAX somewhere in the area of the Con but not in it. There will be more beer nerds available for trading, and it would be a great way to spread the beer lovin.

Idea: you could Post it to the PAX Without PAX thread, or start a new thread.

I approve of this...
    I could possibly host this in my hotel room if it were to happen on the Wednesday or Thursday.

OUTSTANDING Idea. I think you should get right on that. :^:

I was working on a post to get this started but haven't had time to finish it. If someone else wanted to post I would not be too upset.

I'm tempted to but I already have a thread for custom dice - mind you this thread wouldn't take a lot of babysitting.
    I'll get one up after I:
    1) Make sure my roommates are OK with it happening in our hotel room
    2) Figure out the logistics (i.e. how to regulate how many people come)

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Options
    So @Jobiwankenobi and I went out to Poulsbo to check out Valholl's new digs, and it's a really great place.

Jeff was there and is excited for another tour this year; we chatted for quite a while and got the inside scoop on some of the other new breweries on the Peninsula.

• Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    Valholl was the bessst. Did you ask Jeff if he was going to tag along with us this year?

• Options
    AltDelete wrote: »
    Valholl was the bessst. Did you ask Jeff if he was going to tag along with us this year?

I didn't - that's the kind of spontaneous awesomeness that can't be planned. It's gonna be hard to beat though, so I hope that nobody's expectations are dashed if it doesn't live up to all the crazy we had last year.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Side note: I think I'm going to do the Poulsbo Beer Run June 22nd if anyone wants to do it with me...

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    Hey question: I just noticed you have Elysian Tangletown on the list but not their capitol hill location. Is there a reason for that or was it just either one or the other?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Hey question: I just noticed you have Elysian Tangletown on the list but not their capitol hill location. Is there a reason for that or was it just either one or the other?

Cuz there's no Cap Hill tour. Besides, those bigger breweries are listed mostly as an FYI and we'd be unlikely to make a tour stop there.

• Options

Cuz there's no Cap Hill tour. Besides, those bigger breweries are listed mostly as an FYI and we'd be unlikely to make a tour stop there.

Ah ok makes sense. Thanks!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    After a month, the voting tallies stand as such:

Thu 8/29...20v
    Sun 9/1...19v
    Mon 9/2...18v
    Fri 8/30...17v
    Sat 8/31...15v
    Tue 8/27...11v
    Wed 8/28...9v
    Tue 9/3...8v
    Wed 9/4...2v

Ballard-Walk...25v
    Kitsap...24v
    N Seattle...19v
    Ballard-Cycle...14v
    Georgetown...14v
    I-90...12v
    EastSide...6v

The most popular tour and day is Ballard Walking on Thursday 8/29. This is actually the most difficult tour and day to schedule and the most likely to crash and burn BUT I'll do my best to make it work.

Ballard Walking Tour on Thursday - THE PLAN
    The first effort is to swing this tour between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM on Thursday 8/29 because I have to be downtown at the Sheraton at 3:30 PM on Thursday for the Boardgame Meetup. I'd like to be present in the general vicinity for the whole day to make sure that nobody gets lost or stuck but I probably won't be joining at all the locations for the entire tour.

I have a shop in Ballard that would act as Base Camp.

If we can make it work...
    Ballard is a walking neighborhood and won't require much coordination other than just making sure that the breweries open early for you guys and that everyone has clear directions about how to get around and back to the Con. The plan is to get a schedule together and signups/deposits from people to secure their spots. Everyone would get a beer book and a map with times and destinations, and then just have at it. I'd reserve one of the 16-seat Cycle Saloons as an option for those who want it. It's seriously that cool.

We'd need a sober person on the tour to act as the cat herder and make sure everyone is OK (just like the House Elves at the TWDT).

Challenges
    Ballard breweries are incredibly trendy and generally don't open until 3:00 on Thursday, if they open at all during the week. There's not a ton of motivation for them to open specially for us, since they get plenty of business during their regular open hours. I'm working with the brewers right now to see if we can work something out and get a schedule together.

I'll keep y'all posted.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    Oh yeah - the next option is for a Kitsap tour on Sunday. I'm pretty sure that's gonna fly regardless of the Thursday tour status.

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    If Ballard is tough for the Thursday, maybe do Kitsap instead (I can guarantee you at least 2 friendly Canadians, one of which will not be drunk and can herd people like feral cats!)

• Options
    jjjewels wrote: »
    If Ballard is tough for the Thursday, maybe do Kitsap instead (I can guarantee you at least 2 friendly Canadians, one of which will not be drunk and can herd people like feral cats!)

Again with the 3:30 hard stop. Any tour is gonna be difficult on Thursday if it goes past 4:00.

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    jjjewels wrote: »
    Again with the 3:30 hard stop. Any tour is gonna be difficult on Thursday if it goes past 4:00.

True. And the pre-PAX dinner is Thursday night too, at 5:30 i think?
    Either way, me + 1 are down for a Wed or Thurs tour, hopefully Kitsap but we will take whatever. I don't generally drink beer so I can volunteer to help you tour guide :)

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that Thursday is the most popular option since there is so much other stuff going on that day. Any idea what times the Sunday Kitsap tour would be?

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    Rhiley wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Thursday is the most popular option since there is so much other stuff going on that day. Any idea what times the Sunday Kitsap tour would be?

Any Kitsap Tour would probably be 10-6 ish but don't hold that as rote, as it depends on the ferry schedules. That leaves lots of time for the ferry, meals, and a relaxed stop at each brewery.

• Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    *snip*

As it so happens, WA.B.L. (Washington Beer Lovers) just did a walking tour through Ballard earlier this month. Tour looked something like this.

Also, Yay schlitzkreig.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    *snip*

As it so happens, WA.B.L. (Washington Beer Lovers) just did a walking tour through Ballard earlier this month. Tour looked something like this.

Also, Yay schlitzkreig.

Hmm looks pretty cool!
    Also Lex we could cut it short and miss out a on a couple breweries.
    That way we'd make our 3pm cutoff for sure and also leaves space for any brewers that opt out.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Also, the ferries could be a nig
    *snip*

Also, Yay schlitzkreig.

Hmm looks pretty cool!
    Also Lex we could cut it short and miss out a on a couple breweries.
    That way we'd make our 3pm cutoff for sure and also leaves space for any brewers that opt out.

The problem is that so far, only one brewery is willing to open before 2:00.

• Options
    Check out this cool thing I found: Urban Beer Hikes in Seattle!

http://www.urbanbeerhikes.com/p/urban-beer-maps.html?m=1

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    *snip*

Also, Yay schlitzkreig.

"WA.B.L."...

wobble?

7B14287.png