Options

SchlitzKrieg 2013 Beer Tour [Photos and Wrapup]

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Not sure if ill be able to make it, but I'll definitely say that Kitsap is where it's at. It's a shitty, shitty place to live but for a beer tour? Awesome.

Has Valholl finally moved into their new location yet? Have you been?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    They did! I saw a tweet from them either earlier today or yesterday! I almost wanted to jump in my car and go but, well, obligations and crap.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Woah i might be interested in this since i'll finally be 21 by the time this rolls around..

Right there with ya!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yay I'll be 21 this year =D. Went ahead and voted what seemed cool since I've never officially drank especially not anything up there. If we do 2 I'd hope at least 1 would be before PAX. To many things going on during the day to step away for a extended period and I'd think most of us would be leaving Sunday through Tuesday.

• Options
    The only conflict with Thursday is that I'm also coordinating the Sheraton Board Game Meetup, and would have to be downtown by 4:00 to work it. So a Thursday tour would definitely be a shorter, in-city tour.

• Options
    Whoa you guys! Check out Valholl's new digs! Thanks to @vespachica for confirming that they're in them. I guess the opening party was TODAY!

http://www.valhollbrewing.com/

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    The only conflict with Thursday is that I'm also coordinating the Sheraton Board Game Meetup, and would have to be downtown by 4:00 to work it. So a Thursday tour would definitely be a shorter, in-city tour.

That would leave plenty of time to recover for the pub crawl afterwards then...

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Put in my votes (my fiancés votes). Would it be possible to get a price range estimate for the diff tours? Thanks for all your work on this Lexi

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dougyfresh wrote: »
    Put in my votes (my fiancés votes). Would it be possible to get a price range estimate for the diff tours? Thanks for all your work on this Lexi

All I can do this early is give you the basic math. The number of stops is variable, and the mode of transportation is also variable. Figure $3-$5 per brewery for tastes, $10 per person per hour for the cycle saloon, $5 per person per hour for a bus rental, and then double your total to cover the rest of the incidentals like tips, snacks, swag, and printing.

EDIT: Add an additional $15 pp for the RT ferry cost (Kitsap only)

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks for setting this up. Just voted. IS IT PAX YET? ;)

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

All I can do this early is give you the basic math. The number of stops is variable, and the mode of transportation is also variable. Figure $3-$5 per brewery for tastes, $10 per person per hour for the cycle saloon, $5 per person per hour for a bus rental, and then double your total to cover the rest of the incidentals like tips, snacks, swag, and printing.

EDIT: Add an additional $15 pp for the RT ferry cost (Kitsap only)

The van cost that much? Passengers are only like $8 a head, right? Remember, fares are only collected on passengers westbound.

Or you guys doing a full-sized bus? At that point I it might up the cost enough to hit that.

• Options
    Last year it was a full-sized school bus made of win.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    The numbers are complicated and I'm not going to go into a full blown budget breakdown here, but it nutshells into this:

-Size of vehicle depends on number of attendees.
    -All vehicles must come with a licensed, insured and bonded driver.
    -With a driver, small vans end up being more expensive per person/per hour than school bus rentals.
    -Busses have a minimum rental period that comes up to a couple of hundred dollars just to get on the bus
    -Passenger and vehicle tolls work differently on the ferry if you're on a bus versus a car.

I spent months of research time last year figuring out the most affordable way to do the tour while still keeping it safe and legal. You're just going to have to trust me on the numbers.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, after posting I remembered that you guys had done a bus last year, which added a lot of expenses, and that obviously your estimate was based on the actual costs last year.

And of course I trust you on the numbers. ;)

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    And of course I trust you on the numbers. ;)

That's because you and I share a secret knowledge of what someone means when they say, "Shitsap".

• Options
    Thank you for the faq and price breakdown. We are staying with a friend in seattle, could they sign up to go even if they arent attending pax?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thank you for the faq and price breakdown. We are staying with a friend in seattle, could they sign up to go even if they arent attending pax?

Sure, it's not a PAX-dependent event.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    We missed this last year cause we came in Thrusday afternoon. Now that there is talk of going it one PAX day, I am going to be watching the dates to see if one of them works for us!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Is there any interest in having attendees bring some of their own regional beers for sampling before or afterwards? I know that we have some really great beers that are only available in Wisconsin that I could pack along.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    We could totally do a beer swap, but I recommend strongly against having it during or after the tour because trust me, Y'ALL GONNA BE SO SICK OF BEER.

We could do a swap before hand or... personally, I think it would be really kickass to do a beer swap not affiliated with the SK during PAX somewhere in the area of the Con but not in it. There will be more beer nerds available for trading, and it would be a great way to spread the beer lovin.

Idea: you could Post it to the PAX Without PAX thread, or start a new thread.

• Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    We could totally do a beer swap, but I recommend strongly against having it during or after the tour because trust me, Y'ALL GONNA BE SO SICK OF BEER.

We could do a swap before hand or... personally, I think it would be really kickass to do a beer swap not affiliated with the SK during PAX somewhere in the area of the Con but not in it. There will be more beer nerds available for trading, and it would be a great way to spread the beer lovin.

Last year someone hosted a whiskey(I think?) tasting event. Each person brought a bottle and that was the preparty. Maybe something like that could happen :)

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    A bottle of whiskey per person would be the entire party!

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    Rhiley wrote: »
    A bottle of whiskey per person would be the entire party!

It was hosted by @LewieP'sMummy, who was visiting from England. She had much whiskey leftovers afterward!!

• Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Elysian is an absolute must. Fremont's been doing some cool stuff recently. My best friend is a brewer at Hales. The behind the scenes there is pretty interesting. Ballard/Fremont's probably the best option. It's full of cool breweries and beer places. Chuck's is a great place for tasting lots of great beers in a comfortable environment. Board games and comfy seats, my kinda place. That's in Greenwood.

• Options
    So while places like Elysian and Hale's aren't bad, they're huge macro breweries, and you can get their beers pretty much anywhere, so they won't be on the tour. We're focusing on small neighborhood nano and micro breweries.

Also, a stop at Chuck's was scheduled at the end last year but everybody was too Beered Out to want to go. If we do a bottle shop stop in N Seattle, it'll definitely be Chuck's though; the place is Top Notch.

• Options
    VintageEyesVintageEyes Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing a huge slab of Surly with, for anyone interested.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    We need to kidnap the guys from Vauxhall again this year.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    That was legendary! :) Really looking forward to this year's Schlitzkrieg.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Y'ALL GONNA BE SO SICK OF BEER.

Are you...challenging me?

No but really I might try to hit this up regardless of PAX. Mainly because I want to find new beers to introduce in our restaurant besides only having Boundary Bay and Anacortes Brewing Company stuff.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    No, seriously. I couldn't even finish my last pour. And I love to drink! Just ask @LexiconGrrl. It's not even that I was drunk because they were spaced out so well. I was just sick of beer!

Speaking of drunk and being sick of beer, some sort of analgesic (and maybe a towel, har har) would be advisable to bring on the tour. Thank goodness for @LewieP'sMummy who gave me pills from her stash. I had a raging headache.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    Duly noted. Basic first aid/hygiene supplies will be on hand.

• Options
    TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    Love the idea of a beer swap separate from the tour. Dick's has some great beers (their Imperial Red is amazing) but being in Centralia doesn't lend itself to being on a tour route (plus their tasting room is usually only open on Fridays anyway). I could definitely bring a good selection to a beer swap, though.

PAX West 2016: Badges [x] Pre-PAX Dinner: [x] TWDT: [x] Slytherin DE House Elf Cookies baked for Cookie Brigade: TBD August 2016
  • Options
    @LexiconGrrl - I meant that as a BYOA, not that we should supply them. :)

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    I would be down for a beer swap too. I won't lie I mainly hit up the Ninkasi tasting room here in town which I know is pretty national at this point, but if anythings looking for something in particular from the willamette valley area I'd be happy to hunt it down

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vespachica wrote: »
    @LexiconGrrl - I meant that as a BYOA, not that we should supply them. :)
    It's a good idea if those things are on hand anyway.

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular

I approve of this...
    I could possibly host this in my hotel room if it were to happen on the Wednesday or Thursday.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Serenity wrote: »

I approve of this...
    I could possibly host this in my hotel room if it were to happen on the Wednesday or Thursday.

OUTSTANDING Idea. I think you should get right on that. :^:

• Options
    Hell_MelHell_Mel Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I have every intent on going, but my inability to ingest beer is going to make me very very sad that day.

Any of these breweries have non-beer specialties?

Hell_Mel on
  • Options
    The Kitsap breweries each usually have a house-made soda on tap. The Thomas Kemper Root Beer factory used to be out in that area and most of the brewers were involved there at some point.

As for the rest of the Seattle breweries, it's probably hit or miss...

• Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    This was one of my favorite events last year! Drink all the beers!!!!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935